Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bigger picture thinking required. Are your doors and windows closed and locked? Are your vehicles locked and weapons removed? Are your outbuildings, along with tools (axes, shovels, gasoline, etc.) secured? Where is your dog? Do you want your exterior lighting on? Are your window shades closed? Do you have exterior cameras? Have you armed your alarm system? Do your phones still work (check regularly)? Local news tuned in (TV and radio).

Are all the capable and responsible members of your household armed? Do the others at least have Bear Spray, Taser or other “better than strong words” weapon? Do the kids know where to hide (and is it out of your likely lines of fire)? Does everyone know their job should a bad guy break-in (who is calling 911 and what do they say)?

In addition to your weapon(s) are you also donning body armor, NVDs, mag carrier, electronic hearing amplifier/protection, etc.?

Do you have a trauma kit handy? Does someone know how to save a life? Do you have a tourniquet on your person and is it staged for single-handed application?

Have you considered where your likely lines of fire will be? Do you know what is in that path and beyond?

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
since he just escaped, he most likely does not have NV, feel free to go active if you must but keep it passive in case the popo is out using NV, scan that field with thermal, you should see some movement even in the thick stuff, but remember he is being hunted by the popo so they could be out there too, make sure you ID your target, I would use white light due to friendlies that don't know you own the night and don't shoot unless threatened.

You do have NV,  thermal, IR laser, IR illumination and white light and can shoot NV passive right?
View Quote

In Illinois, shooting a bad guy with passive NV would probably get you sued and loved tenderly.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
210, 220, whatever it takes...
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Stuff that will make you wish you had gone next door or better yet, down the road.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I choose the Steyr AUG.

View Quote

Oh sure!

Gotta be a show off!

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Family at home isn't a consideration.   I get paid to do that sort of thing.   More to the point, its what I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Near my house?   Sig 229 on my hip and probably a Mossberg shotgun, both property of my employer.   And my ass will be out there beating the bushes.   Been there, done that.

The one thing the OP has still not told us is if there are other family members in the home.

In that case, no, you don't be "out there" doing anything.  You be hunkered down INSIDE, defending family.

ETA: Okay, I see he just told us.
Family at home isn't a consideration.   I get paid to do that sort of thing.   More to the point, its what I do.

Well as long as you are not leaving family unprotected, then good luck, and Godspeed to you Sir!

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The same thing I used three days ago, for the same scenario. I live on a 14 acre homestead.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Suppressed Aug is the best choice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, to wrap this episode up of "what would you do," the perp went between my house and the neighbor's around 3am, went further up the street (only one street in or out), stole a truck (even though everyone in the area was warned to lock their vehicles - this was the kind of area where you could leave your vehicles and doors unlocked), and made his way out of the county.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and I'm acting on two of them for sure: getting off my fat ass and exercising more so I don't get winded after a minute, and ensuring I have a good light on any weapon I choose for invader protection.  Any light suggestions for a Police 870?

And thanks to Arfcom for making me "newsletter famous" without being an instagram thot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any light suggestions for a Police 870?
View Quote

Search for a Surefire DSF-870 on gun broker or what ever site you frequent. I picked up a police trade 870 Police Magnum with one of these installed and it works pretty good.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Search for a Surefire DSF-870 on gun broker or what ever site you frequent. I picked up a police trade 870 Police Magnum with one of these installed and it works pretty good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any light suggestions for a Police 870?

Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would choose a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended.

Image the following scenario... Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" I yell as I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. I blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. I draw my pistol on the second man, but miss him entirely because it's smoothbore, and nail the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" I exclaim, as the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel setting off car alarms in a 5 block radius. I fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up.

Just as the founding fathers intended.
View Quote

I Own a Missile For Homeland Defense
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Something with thermal mounted.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn!   On Amazon, they cost as much as or more than the shotgun would.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The shotgun crowd isn't gonna like it, but the answer is an AR 15 or pistol with a light.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I like these shotgun forends

Streamlight
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, when the SWAT team had the neighborhood locked down trying to find a guy who shot two people in the chest at a party down the street, my AR that usually hangs on the wall with an empty chamber was leaned against my desk hot and ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
5.56 NATO AR15
9mm Luger Glock
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Local felon on the run in my area.  Sherriff has perimeters set up, and ghetto bird circling.  Long creek nearby that's dry and lots of pasture, so it's easier for this guy to evade.

Pistol, rifle, or shotgun at the ready should the dumbass try to crash your property?
View Quote

@thesquidliest Where abouts?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Common sense. Every homeowner that encountered that escapee In Pennsylvania was a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#21]
.224 Rigby
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Pistol on hip, spare mag. Tactical flashlight with ability to blind someone temporarily. Do not take it off whatsoever for any reason at all, even if you’re asleep. A rifle in the smart places if possible. Figure out all most likely possible points of highest risk. Windows, opening or closing doors, getting in and out of your car. Be aware of any way someone would likely take the easiest or sneakiest path and be fucking HYPER aware of those areas. Have a plan if you’re ambushed, or how to take positive control of the situation. Avoid the situation of possible. Don’t put yourself into stupid risk no matter how badass you want to sound on the internet
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh boy, got a heck of a plot twist/update on this situation! Will update later this evening once all details are figured out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would choose a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended.

Image the following scenario... Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" I yell as I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. I blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. I draw my pistol on the second man, but miss him entirely because it's smoothbore, and nail the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" I exclaim, as the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel setting off car alarms in a 5 block radius. I fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up.

Just as the founding fathers intended.
View Quote

Sounds like a fun guy to party with lol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ghetto bird?
View Quote

Wait for it. Let's see if he get's it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top