Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think they're very practical for some, but not viable for everyone.

I think the application is not good for a full sized pickup.  For smaller commuter cars, yes.  A pickup that may occasionally tow or haul things, no.
View Quote
I agree with that. For a small commuter car, and for someone with a short to medium commute, that would be a good application at it's current level of development. I'd love to have a small EV as a point A to point B transportation. But trying to use that tech in a tow-package truck isn't going to work with the current battery tech. It's just not there yet. There is going to have to be a huge jump in the advancement of design and ability.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You're assuming the government hasn't told Ford to just disable everyone's vehicle as a control measure. You've got about a 0.0% chance of getting a EV working without the car letting you.

Older flex fuel vehicles and carbureted vehicles can run on ethanol and lack the connectivity to remotely disable. You don't even need electric to make E95 fuel at home.  Just yeast, something to feed it, heat and a still.

I think the sweet spot for prepper transportation is solar charged E-bikes and offroad/enduro E-motorcycles.  OK range and can feasibly be charged somewhat quickly with modest solar setup. With a spare battery or two the you can get ~100mi and pedaling is an option too.
View Quote

Which Hollywood movie or YouTube channel are you using for your info?   Sounds entertaining.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're assuming the government hasn't told Ford to just disable everyone's vehicle as a control measure. You've got about a 0.0% chance of getting a EV working without the car letting you.

Older flex fuel vehicles and carbureted vehicles can run on ethanol and lack the connectivity to remotely disable. You don't even need electric to make E95 fuel at home.  Just yeast, something to feed it, heat and a still.

I think the sweet spot for prepper transportation is solar charged E-bikes and offroad/enduro E-motorcycles.  OK range and can feasibly be charged somewhat quickly with modest solar setup. With a spare battery or two the you can get ~100mi and pedaling is an option too.
View Quote
100 pounds of yeast and some copper line?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wonder how the people that paid over MSRP for them when they first came out feel lol
View Quote

They feel very proud and believe those who refuse to buy short range, low tow capacity electric trucks are enemies of The State and should be incarcerated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$900 lol. I could put 1000 miles on my model 3 for forty something dollars. The lighting isn’t nearly as efficient but it can’t be that bad.
View Quote

Same I’ve been charging the wife’s EV since 2021 never had an electric bill hit $300.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree with that. For a small commuter car, and for someone with a short to medium commute, that would be a good application at it's current level of development. I'd love to have a small EV as a point A to point B transportation. But trying to use that tech in a tow-package truck isn't going to work with the current battery tech. It's just not there yet. There is going to have to be a huge jump in the advancement of design and ability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they're very practical for some, but not viable for everyone.

I think the application is not good for a full sized pickup.  For smaller commuter cars, yes.  A pickup that may occasionally tow or haul things, no.

An electric car would be great on my 100+ mile commute. Definitely not short and medium restricted. Where they suffer is long trips away from home.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top