BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. We're not.  4l60s are never cool.  4l80s can be made cool. 4l60s can be made adequate....barely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what you're telling me is that my 4l60e is cool?!

I've never had an auto that had over 4 forward speeds.  I imagine there's a lot of gear hunting going on...
No. We're not.  4l60s are never cool.  4l80s can be made cool. 4l60s can be made adequate....barely.
My post was in jest, given their known inability to cope with heavy use.  This being said, I use my trucks like light duty trucks, and I've never had A 4l60e fail.  But after reading more replies, it seems that they may be better and have longer lives than what replaced them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's kind of hard to believe that engineers are allowing a target of soft shifting to lower lifespans and produce other gremlins...

You'd think that they'd shift the clutch packs appropriately, and let a computer controlled torque converter be the buffer.  This is an advantage of the 'slush' in slush box after all.  This would make sense as the cause of the 'shudder' that some complain about, but having it would seem to increase life, rather than decrease it which is what some of you are saying.
View Quote
The engineers get overruled by beancounters desperately trying to meet government CAFE standards.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If the fluid change doesn't work they change the converter.
It seemed to have fixed mine.
The wrong spec fluid was ordered initially.  Seems like that would have been corrected a long time ago and not an issue any more.
View Quote
Did not work on the Colorado I just traded back in a couple months ago. 2200mi on it and I told them to keep it. Got a fair deal on something else (used Suburban) on the lot to sort of make it right. I average 60-100k a year in purchases from this dealer so I had a little weight on my side but not a lot. You could tell they acted like they didn't want it back but who couldn't flip a 2018 with 2200mi on it? Really liked the Colorado other than that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Shit cars & Trucks with Shit Transmissions. What more could one expect?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So what you're telling me is that my 4l60e is cool?!

I've never had an auto that had over 4 forward speeds.  I imagine there's a lot of gear hunting going on...
View Quote
No! First gear is too damn low on those freaking things!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep.

That’s why I refuse to buy one. Toyota really F’d up the 3rd gen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did GM source Gen 3 Tacoma transmissions?
Yep.

Over at the Toyota forums, there is a lengthy thread on the 8 speed transmissions in the Camry V6 ,models.

Something about a lot of hesitation switching gears,  esp when acceleration is needed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shit cars & Trucks with Shit Transmissions. What more could one expect?
View Quote
The allison and 6l90 are solid. We'll see if GM screwed the pooch on the new allison 10 speed. It's a big bitch so hopefully they used the size appropriately
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The allison and 6l90 are solid. We'll see if GM screwed the pooch on the new allison 10 speed. It's a big bitch so hopefully they used the size appropriately
View Quote
We have a clapped out well used 2020 Silverado 3500 in my building used for testing.

As far as I know, the trans is holding up fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a resaon I did not even consider any “American” brands when I bought my new car last year. The 10 Speed in my Honda is fucking awesome, well that and I live very close to the Chrystler.. errr I mean Fiat transmission plant and the people that work there are the most lazy eneitlted braindead fucks I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a resaon I did not even consider any “American” brands when I bought my new car last year. The 10 Speed in my Honda is fucking awesome, well that and I live very close to the Chrystler.. errr I mean Fiat transmission plant and the people that work there are the most lazy eneitlted braindead fucks I have ever seen.
View Quote
IIRC, Toyota's are having some of the same problems in their multi geared transmissions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
lol GM

Hell would freeze over before I’d buy one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#12]
The almost "drove through a garage door" is real.  Mine was opened up before18000 miles.....i was not the owner then.  I had mine opened up at 36000 miles.  In the same trip they had to open it again because the first fix did not work.  I took it back at 58000 miles for several new issues with hard shifting.  I was told to find a new dealer, that they weren't qualified to work on the transmission.  F GM.

62000 miles now
1)  Trans has been opened 3 times
2)  XM antenna seal leaked so no gps, wifi or onstar, known design flaw,
3)  Radiator leaked and replaced under warranty,
4)  Front wheel hub ate itself,
5)  No AC that I suspect is from the radiator R&R.  The condensor has issues that GM has 2 separate fixes for a bad design.

I'll say it again F Gm.  I've only owned GM vehicles and this will be the last.  Next one will be a Ram.  Not sure how a FCA vehicle can be any worse than what I have now.

Also to the guy saying these are from pussy footing,  I can promise you that is not the case.  The 6.2 is a hell of an engine and is going to suck going to the 5.7.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad had this issue with his Colorado. Took it in and they did an ATF exchange. Issue resolved for now. I've read stories of people being back in a couple thousand miles after the fluid exchange, and getting a new torque converter.

The factory fluid had the wrong friction modifiers. Will probably lead to reduced lifespan on the trans. The defective TC was icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looking for the nearest Ford dealership and seeing what they'll give you on trade.

View Quote
I had a Ford. POS had major steering problems. At 36,088 miles they would not do anything under warranty. I reported it while on vacation 6 hours from home with 35XXX miles. They said sorry not in shop before 36k so you can pay the 3-5k in front end and power steering repairs.

I said FU and went to Chevy. So far I like the Chevy 10 times better just worried reading all this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh no.  Are they going to lose their JD Power awards over this?
View Quote
Initial quality.

If the transmission can hold it together for 6 months, they're GTG!

After that, everything else is gravy!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right. At least gm is trying to do something about it. Toyota just denies that my transmission hunts gears in the hwy.

Also, I’m not a boomer and don’t care about fuel mileage. My 2018 Taco barely gets 17mpg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Laughs in Allison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should just go ahead and pull the plug on GM and get it over with.
Laughs in Allison.
Laughs in Eaton.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had it done, doesn't fix it. '17 6.2 with 8 speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TCC Shudder and New Mobil 1 Fluid Exchange

January 31, 2019

A new transmission fluid exchange procedure and a new formula of Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid have been released to address torque converter clutch (TCC) shudder conditions on 8L45 and 8L90 8-speed automatic transmissions (RPOs M5N, M5T, M5U, M5X) in some 2015-2017 Escalade, Yukon; 2015-2018 Silverado, Sierra; 2015-2019 Corvette; 2016-2018 CT6; 2016-2019 ATS, CTS, Camaro; and 2017-2019 Colorado and Canyon models.

The new fluid exchange procedure requires the use of the DT-45096 TransFlow Cooler Flush Machine and DT-52263 Transmission Fluid Exchange Tool Kit. (Fig. 10) The tool kit began shipping to dealerships at no charge in late January 2019. All GM dealerships should receive the tool kits by the end of March 2019.

Shudder Test

The new service procedure addresses shake and/or shudder conditions during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80 MPH (40 and 128 KM/H) at a steady speed when the transmission is not shifting gears. To ensure TCC shudder is diagnosed correctly, drive the vehicle on a smooth road with transmission sump temperature between 122F (50C)  158F (70C). Constant throttle input on a smooth grade is needed.

A shudder condition may also be a chuggle, surge or vibration condition. Use GDS 2 or the CH-51450 PicoScope to confirm that the concern is TCC shudder and not a tire/wheel vibration or a driveline vibration, for example. A screen print from GDS 2 or the PicoScope showing the TCC shudder event must be attached to the Repair Order hard copy.

If TCC shudder is present, a vibration peak will appear within +/- 2 Hz of the frequency listed in Bulletin #18-NA-355. Refer to the bulletin for additional information, including required shudder test conditions for each vehicle being diagnosed as well as the fluid exchange procedures.

Fluid Exchange

The TCC shudder condition is related to moisture content in the transmission fluid. The current fluid tends to be hydroscopic, or absorbs moisture, which increases the chance of TCC shudder. There are three different fluid exchange procedures to follow, depending on vehicle application, so that an acceptable concentration of the new HP fluid is achieved in the transmission.

The new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is now available to U.S. dealerships through your local GM Oil Distributor. The new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is available in quart bottles (GM Part Number 19417577) and, for a limited time, in 55-gallon drums (GM Part Number 19417904) in most locations. Drum production ended in January 2019. The GM part numbers are not on the product.

The Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP fluid and the required tool kit will be available to all Canadian dealerships by the end of March 2019. GM Part Numbers for 0.946 liter bottles will be provided at that time.

TIP: Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is required for all 8-speed transmission repairs regardless of the repair being completed.

Quart bottles, which can be identified by a new blue banner across the front of the bottle (Fig. 12), will be limited to 20 cases/120 quarts per dealer per week during the initial launch of the new product. The new bottles also feature the HP license number J-62120 on the back label.
Had it done, doesn't fix it. '17 6.2 with 8 speed.
Because the SP/LV specialty magic elixir fluid "fix" is a page right out of the Ford playbook.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Initial quality.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh no.  Are they going to lose their JD Power awards over this?
Initial quality.

They'll just make up a new one after the check clears,  JD Power On-The-Lot-Quality, how it looks and sounds before you sign the papers.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Over at the Toyota forums, there is a lengthy thread on the 8 speed transmissions in the Camry V6 ,models.

Something about a lot of hesitation switching gears,  esp when acceleration is needed.
View Quote
I tried to like the new Taco but ended up buying another 5th gen 4Runner.

The 5spd auto works just fine in my T4R and Idgaf about 10 spd transmissions or gas mileage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
GM should just bring back the 2 speed Powerglide.
View Quote
A good solid transmission at least.

Maybe not so economical but it ran well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let me guess: it was in an FCA car?

The manufacturers still have to come up with the programming for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should have used a ZF 8speed. It's hands down the best feeling auto I've ever driven.
Weird, the ZF 8 speed I had was a real piece of shit.
Let me guess: it was in an FCA car?

The manufacturers still have to come up with the programming for them.
And yet the FCA RWD  ZF8HP70 is easily one of the better transmissions being discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I really can't complain about the 6 speed in my 2014 Sierra 1500 or 2016 GMC savanna 2500 work van. I have been very happy with both. I think they both have the GM 6l90 in them. The sierra is the nicest vehicle I've owned. The savanna with the 6 speed and 6.0l and a locking rear diff is a great combo. The interior build quality is garbage, but no one cares about work vans anyways. The Ford I ran before wasn't much better, but had no balls and the 4 speed was annoying.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Laughs in Eaton.
View Quote
I know Eaton is legendary in class 8 stuff but anything eaton I've ever seen that wasn't a stick shift has been a ginormous pile of fail and misery.

For heavy duty auto I'll stick with allison.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Or learn how to tune a tcm and ramp line pressure up for shifts and down after  clutches have applied. Works for allison and they hold ALOT more torque than the 6 or 10 speed was built to handle.

Normal duty on an allison, torqueshift or aisin would paint the road with 6 or 10 speed guts.  It's about sq inches of clutch and line pressure. They know how to build a decent trans, they know friction coefficients of various clutches at various pressures. Auto trans aren't black magic. They are shooting for good enough when their customers are looking for better than required.

Allison built that reputation through over achievement, when they were owned by GM.   Sadly the idea that anyone can build a bridge that stands...but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands...is alive and well in the auto industry.
View Quote
Problem is...
There's no money in it. They're looking to make a buck.

You have to remember, auto manufacturers for the most part, aren't in the game to capture customers with longevity and reputation...
Particularly GM and Ford, they're established household brand names. They're what your father/grand father owned and you should too.

Look at LittlePony with Kia...
They started out selling cheap affordable yet durable little shit boxes... now they have the stinger and are bringing SUVs to market, the K900 big sedan with features that blow Cadillac out of the water, at less cost...

Planned obsolescence... corporate goons not car guys running the show...

.gov regulations...

There's no money in the automotive market to build bomb proof simplistic reliable transportation.
Make it good enough for the average driver. Good enough that it can shit the bed after the warranty has run up...
Profit.

You're right. Tuning a TCM/PCM and putting money where it counts most, isn't black magic.
The problem is, there isn't any money to be made if you sell a vehicle that will go 200k+ 10+ years without rotting and falling apart mechanically.
What's the point in selling new... when society is accustomed to throw away lifestyles and just rolling debt on top of debt going upside down on trade ins every 3-5 years?

Drive em like you stole em. I'll bet the mechanical failures go away. Make that preprogrammed strategy ramp up line pressure. Unless it's piss poor design or faulty/chintzy manufacturer cost savings components inside those transmissions... Chances are you won't have the failures and issues others succumb to. There's no reason for a burnt up torque converter, pump, or failed clutches, UNLESS and it's only acceptable in these certain conditions.

Winter driving, wheels slip then grab.
Epic burnouts/smoke shows. Extreme heat.
Towing in excess of what the truck was designed for. Extreme heat.
Plowing snow like a retard/boomer parking lot maneuvering. Not coming to a complete stop before shifting from drive to reverse, reverse to drive.
Wheel hop from a brodozer attempting to do burnouts or hook chains to your buddies truck to settle the fanboi debacle of who's truck is stouter/stronger.
Hillbilly logging and tree service. Let's see if this thing will rip that stump up out of the ground in 4 low 4 high.

Daily driving they shouldn't be failing. But are. I suspect line pressure from whining bitch ass average non drivers afraid to step on the go pedal.

I'm with you. I'm just explaining the scheme is all.
Planned obsolescence keep them coming back for more.
Cost savings in mass manufacturing.
.gov regulations
Corporate bean counters spreading their philosophy of tripping over 100 dollar bills to pick up pennies right on down to the dealer level.
All translates to shit product.

Make GM employ car guys again!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

WTF are you saying here?

No one short of a NASCAR driver drives with the peddle on the floor just to get up to speed. I don’t care about MPG, I care about not driving like an Ahole. It’s also nice not to replace break pads at every other oil change.

Can you give the TLDR version of your rant? It’s like you know what your talking about but your communication skills make it hard to follow.

I have an ‘18 Silverado Z71 crew can with the 6 speed, it had only 6k miles. What should I be doing?

The only thing I notice is hard shifting sometimes when I’m slowing down around 20mph.

And yes I only really need a truck during hunting season and every time I go to Home Depot.
View Quote
Your tranny, your driving habits, your problem.
Noone you say? I do. Mines issue free. Been so thus far.

Driving like an asshole is swerving about. Not rapid acceleration. Driving like an asshole is the snowbirds 10 under the speed limit in the fast lane.
Driving like an asshole is what I see in South Florida. Rush hour traffic folks want to get to work on time. Lead cars either have retirees going woah Nelly nice and easy 0-posted speed limit in 10 minutes, or assholes of my generation too busy texting and posting selfies sitting through green lights.

I'm lead truck. That light goes from red to green that long skinny pedal is buried into the firewall. The vehicle behind me? I'll have an 8-10 car length lead on and see a 1/4 mile or so of bumper to bumper sitting still because gramps wants to pussy foot burning up green lights for those trying to get to work. That's driving like an asshole. Not what I advocate. I guess driving like an asshole is subjective...

I don't know. Seems clear to me. Ramp up line pressure via wide open throttle = more holding force for internal components pertinent to transmission longevity, opposed to pussy footing boomer driving with programmed parameters for perceived soft smooth shifts burning clutches and bands/sprags by applying less line pressure... Read up on how an automatic transmission works. Then what I say will make sense.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Daily driving they shouldn't be failing. But are. I suspect line pressure from whining bitch ass average non drivers afraid to step on the go pedal.

View Quote
Except the majority of these 8 speeds come with 6.2Ls maybe all.  I quit paying attention.  They already get great mpgs for what they are but no one ponies up the extra cash for the 6.2 and then babies it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Problem is...

You have to remember, auto manufacturers for the most part, aren't in the game to capture customers with longevity and reputation...
Particularly GM and Ford, they're established household brand names. They're what your father/grand father owned and you should too.

They started out selling cheap affordable yet durable little shit boxes... now they have the stinger and are bringing SUVs to market, the K900 big sedan with features that blow Cadillac out of the water, at less cost...

.gov regulations...

There's no money in the automotive market to build bomb proof simplistic reliable transportation.
Make it good enough for the average driver. Good enough that it can shit the bed after the warranty has run up...
Profit.

You're right. Tuning a TCM/PCM and putting money where it counts most, isn't black magic.
The problem is, there isn't any money to be made if you sell a vehicle that will go 200k+ 10+ years without rotting and falling apart mechanically.
What's the point in selling new... when society is accustomed to throw away lifestyles and just rolling debt on top of debt going upside down on trade ins every 3-5 years?

Drive em like you stole em. I'll bet the mechanical failures go away. Make that preprogrammed strategy ramp up line pressure. Unless it's piss poor design or faulty/chintzy manufacturer cost savings components inside those transmissions... Chances are you won't have the failures and issues others succumb to. There's no reason for a burnt up torque converter, pump, or failed clutches, UNLESS and it's only acceptable in these certain conditions.

Plowing snow like a retard/boomer parking lot maneuvering. Not coming to a complete stop before shifting from drive to reverse, reverse to drive.
Wheel hop from a brodozer attempting to do burnouts or hook chains to your buddies truck to settle the fanboi debacle of who's truck is stouter/stronger.
Hillbilly logging and tree service. Let's see if this thing will rip that stump up out of the ground in 4 low 4 high.

.gov regulations
Corporate bean counters spreading their philosophy of tripping over 100 dollar bills to pick up pennies right on down to the dealer level.

View Quote
laughs in Honda and Toyota...
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone who's dumb enough to believe that an automatic transmission rebuild costs $8000 deserves every single inch of fucking they're about to receive.  That's just stupidity on parade.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My neighbor had a sweet Cadillac, laid out. He said it was nearing 65k on the odometer and it was time to get rid of it. Apparently the transmissions crap out around 65k miles and cost about $8k to R&R. That's not right, it's not like it's a $12k car, wtf GM.
Anyone who's dumb enough to believe that an automatic transmission rebuild costs $8000 deserves every single inch of fucking they're about to receive.  That's just stupidity on parade.  
Dealers install brand new transmissions not rebuilt. There's a reason why things cost what they do but you have to make an apples to apples comparison.

If I owned a new vehicle that had three trannies in 60k, that bitch is getting bought back under the lemon law, but I only drive Toyota now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This part I do not understand. Is Grandpa using paddle shifters to keep it in 6th at 1200rpms? If he ain’t controlling the gear it’s in, how is that his fault?

Is “must floor throttle and take hills at 70mph” really what you consider “functioning as designed?”
View Quote
It plays into the CAFE mandates of attempting to achieve higher MPGs.

He does control the gear it's in based upon inputs going to the PCM. He isn't directly in control in the sense of a paddle shifter.
He's in control via light pressure on the gas pedal lugging it and the inputs going to the PCM.

Like driving a stick shift, you'd be in 6th gear cruising. You come up on a hill do you keep it in 6th and keep going?
No.
Do you apply more throttle?
No. You could but that won't gain you much.
Rev match downshift to 4th and keep it there or Up shift to 5th and keep it there to maintain speed then grab 6th once there's no more steep incline.

PCM/TCM does the same.
Functioning as designed I say yes. If not, you'd have the torque converter locked up essentially acting as a clutch and the truck would stall while in 6th as it didn't unlock and down shift.

Functioning as designed? Yes. The goal is to get smooth soft shifts, massage clutches bands and sprags duty cycling solenoids, rather than full on off line pressure. Coupled with attempting to achieve the most MPGs premature wear/failure will be plaguing.

Either faster processors are needed, better TCM/PCM Strategy tuning is needed, or stouter components are needed. Or all of the above.
They're trying to do too many things and settling for "good enough" and we the consumer pay for it.

I'm a Chevy truck fanboi. You won't be seeing me rushing to give my money for the half or 3/4 tons they put out.
Not because 8 speed trans failure.
Those trucks look uglier than a bag of smashed assholes. Soybois turbo 4 pots.
Ridiculous pricing.
I don't reward bad products.
If GM fails it's their doing. I won't defend their asshattery. I will demand better from them though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Yes, yes they did. Guess what Japan Toyota didn't fuck up or fuck with! The powerplant and transmission that's bombproof in the 4Runner. American built Toyota trying to appease the "gotta have new tech" crowd completely fucked those trucks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a ‘16 Silverado with the 8 speed.  I bought it used with 54k on the clock.
I had the vibration.  They did a flush that didn’t work and then a converter replacement.  
There are times I’m not sure there’s not something going on...
I will check into this.
View Quote
Try running it in tow haul mode.
Then try running it without tow haul mode but flat foot it to speed then lift when desired speed is achieved.

See if that does anything for you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is...

.gov regulations...

Profit.

.gov regulations

The same applies to Honda and Toyota, just change it to "they aren't in the game to capture customers with vehicles that are innovative or actually look good... "
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Except the majority of these 8 speeds come with 6.2Ls maybe all.  I quit paying attention.  They already get great mpgs for what they are but no one ponies up the extra cash for the 6.2 and then babies it.
View Quote
*Boomers say hold my beer son*

What's the 6.2 in?
Escalade.
High country.
LTZ.

Who's driving escalades?
Who's driving High Country?
Who's driving LTZs?

Just like Corvettes in South Florida. old grey hairs bopping to dion and the Belmonts 10 under the speed limit in the fast lane.
Plus side to that is, because all the old folks own them, corvettes are cheap as fuck to insure down here.

Surely I'm the exception, not the rule, but it isn't us millennials dropping 70k-90k on a status symbol. Which is exactly what those leather express crew cab short boxes are. What happens when the Lincoln Town car and Cadillac Deville go away? Half ton trucks SUVs with big roomy cabs.

That's what the lt's ls's are for. Not all of us had college/student loan debt... or living at home with mom and dad slinging food and drinks... so a 50k dollar truck is doable and paid for in full in 3 years.

A regular LTZ had a soft/squishy suspension and with that reduced towing and hauling capacity.
I towed stock cars on the weekends.
I can fit my KX250 in the bed diagonally and the little 150 for the ex next to it. Or just fit the blaster in the bed and tow the other toys when we'd go take the quads and dirtbikes out.
I hauled my race engines from the machine shop to my shop. Or to and from the junk yards for my fix and flips.
So a regular LTZ was a no.
Especially with 3:08s out back.
5.3? You sure this isn't a 4.3? What a turd.
LTZ Z71 on the other hand.

My ex tried to push me into a High Country with a 6.2
Yeah it shit n git. But that interior
Running Boards?
That was a nope. That and the what was it? 68k or 70k dollar price tag? Yeah, 12k on trade, with 10k in cash down for 1,200 per month payments? For something that would depreciate and fall in value like a lead balloon?
Hell no. My mortgage wasn't even 1200...

However... if there was a black on black silverado LTZ Z71 with a 6.2 and Eaton 3:73s out back? I'd have that right then and there.

RaceTruck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
IIRC, Toyota's are having some of the same problems in their multi geared transmissions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/802-camry-8th-generation-2018/1643840-xse-v6-transmission-hesitating-harsh-ups-downs-gear-hunting-updates.html

They are.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#36]
good god, can no one but us and few others make a damn gear box?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's true though.

I'm over here like...

Boot the penny pinchers and tell .gov to piss up a rope. Build shit worth my hard earned dollars and maybe I'll come around to buying it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lol, GM

I know several folks who have converter shake in their brand new trucks, theyre pissed and the dealers are doing everything they can to avoid replacing transmissions(which is probably going to be the final fix anyway).
View Quote
(Works at GMC dealer)

We had a family on vacation have a transmission isuse day before Easter

GM didn't get them a transmission til this past Tuesday

Work before that guy in his Duramax had his turbo go kaput while also on vacation

GM again had no turbos in inventory

1 week wait from another dealer because it went from marliw heights to Winchester Va MD to Oakland CA and back to front Royal va

I feel bad for GM owners daily
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I thought the current TSB calls for replacing fluid with an upgraded spec because there's nothing actually wrong with the converters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 6L45 has the exact same problems.

I had a torque converter replaced at 25k under warranty and now at 60k its on the way out once again.
I thought the current TSB calls for replacing fluid with an upgraded spec because there's nothing actually wrong with the converters?
GM had me order some funky 8spd lv atf fluid in 2016 so I ordered 120 qts

F-n $20 a bottle

We used some from then until this past oct/Nov 2018 then GM siad stop using it and use another fluid in place

I only had 24 qts left but still $$$$$

Some dealers had hundreds of qts on there shelves and talk about pissed
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dealers install brand new transmissions not rebuilt. There's a reason why things cost what they do but you have to make an apples to apples comparison.

If I owned a new vehicle that had three trannies in 60k, that bitch is getting bought back under the lemon law, but I only drive Toyota now.
View Quote
Mine got rebuilt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

(Works at GMC dealer)

We had a family on vacation have a transmission isuse day before Easter

GM didn't get them a transmission til this past Tuesday

Work before that guy in his Duramax had his turbo go kaput while also on vacation

GM again had no turbos in inventory

1 week wait from another dealer because it went from marliw heights to Winchester Va MD to Oakland CA and back to front Royal va

I feel bad for GM owners daily
View Quote
I was driving their loners for 2 months while they had my truck over winter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Should have used a ZF 8speed. It's hands down the best feeling auto I've ever driven.
View Quote
In the Ram right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This right here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here.
Yup
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

F-n $20 a bottle

We used some from then until this past oct/Nov 2018 then GM siad stop using it and use another fluid in place

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 6L45 has the exact same problems.

I had a torque converter replaced at 25k under warranty and now at 60k its on the way out once again.

F-n $20 a bottle

Stop bitching and go do  your job. GM sent a bulletin to all dealers telling them the old fluid was returnable. Jeez. GM may be screwed up but dont make it worse with incorrect info.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

why is the transmission in 8th gear at 35-45mph? Even if you had coasted down from 65mph, it should downshift somewhere in there, or immediately downshift once you press the gas pedal.
View Quote
Silly isn't it? Moms '18 Odyssey has a 9spd (and with paddle shifters in a MINIVAN WHY????) and its in freaking 3rd by time you get across the intersection. It doesn't seem to hunt for gears though.

Really why do we need 10 spd autos? Hell why do we need over 4? Easy solution to the trans issues is to just trash can them all and put fucking 6spd manuals in them. Out of all the manual trans vehicles I've owned, only had 2 failures in 30yrs. My Shelby CSX had a gear disintegrate and locked the trans in 4th and my Dakota blew up a throwout bearing. Other than those, always had great luck with manuals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Silly isn't it? Moms '18 Odyssey has a 9spd (and with paddle shifters in a MINIVAN WHY????) and its in freaking 3rd by time you get across the intersection. It doesn't seem to hunt for gears though.

Really why do we need 10 spd autos? Hell why do we need over 4? Easy solution to the trans issues is to just trash can them all and put fucking 6spd manuals in them. Out of all the manual trans vehicles I've owned, only had 2 failures in 30yrs. My Shelby CSX had a gear disintegrate and locked the trans in 4th and my Dakota blew up a throwout bearing. Other than those, always had great luck with manuals.
View Quote
In the heavy duty trucks it allowed gcwr to go nuts. GM hit 35k towing while going to a taller rear. 3.73 up to a 3.42.  Allows capability and maintaining mileage.

They had significant issues building sticks that could put up with the torque. Ram offers a stick still I think but only on a down rated engine.  RAM only offers the top gcwr on the aisin heavy duty automatic...which I guess is kind of a shitbox.  GM and ford don't even offer a stick. Not sure what the issue was but sticks that fit in the frame don't hold up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I have my heart set on a 2016 GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L which comes with the 8 speed.

What percentage of trucks is this happening to? If or has 30k+ Miles and a clean service record is it likely ok or are all these things ticking timers to failures?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Stock trans tuning is a mofo. Hunting for gears and the TC shudder is known on the early 6th gen camaros.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

F-n $20 a bottle

View Quote
You could have made A LOT of Ed's Red with that stuff!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stock trans tuning is a mofo. Hunting for gears and the TC shudder is known on the early 6th gen camaros.
View Quote
Is this still a problem with vehicles made after 2016?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top