User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the heavy duty trucks it allowed gcwr to go nuts. GM hit 35k towing while going to a taller rear. 3.73 up to a 3.42.  Allows capability and maintaining mileage.

They had significant issues building sticks that could put up with the torque. Ram offers a stick still I think but only on a down rated engine.  RAM only offers the top gcwr on the aisin heavy duty automatic...which I guess is kind of a shitbox.  GM and ford don't even offer a stick. Not sure what the issue was but sticks that fit in the frame don't hold up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silly isn't it? Moms '18 Odyssey has a 9spd (and with paddle shifters in a MINIVAN WHY????) and its in freaking 3rd by time you get across the intersection. It doesn't seem to hunt for gears though.

Really why do we need 10 spd autos? Hell why do we need over 4? Easy solution to the trans issues is to just trash can them all and put fucking 6spd manuals in them. Out of all the manual trans vehicles I've owned, only had 2 failures in 30yrs. My Shelby CSX had a gear disintegrate and locked the trans in 4th and my Dakota blew up a throwout bearing. Other than those, always had great luck with manuals.
In the heavy duty trucks it allowed gcwr to go nuts. GM hit 35k towing while going to a taller rear. 3.73 up to a 3.42.  Allows capability and maintaining mileage.

They had significant issues building sticks that could put up with the torque. Ram offers a stick still I think but only on a down rated engine.  RAM only offers the top gcwr on the aisin heavy duty automatic...which I guess is kind of a shitbox.  GM and ford don't even offer a stick. Not sure what the issue was but sticks that fit in the frame don't hold up.
It's not because a manual can't handle the torque.  It's because the pussies that drive them don't want a heavy clutch pedal from a proper clutch that can hold the torque.

I had a 2006 Dodge with the Cummins and G56 manual.  610ft-lbs, just like the auto.  
I then had a 2016 Ram with the Cummins and G56 manual.  660ft-lbs, while the autos got 800 & 900ft-lbs.

The reason for the derate was because they never upgraded the clutch to hold any extra power.  Dumb fuck auto manufacturers....
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The last Chevy truck I owned with an 8 speed trans, it was on it's way out at 16k miles.

It was a total shit show: hard shifts, shuddering, hard down shifts, slipping badly.

I bought the truck new.  GM has become a soup sandwich. GM needs to simplify and streamline it's vehicles so they can do something well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The last Chevy truck I owned with an 8 speed trans, it was on it's way out at 16k miles.

It was a total shit show: hard shifts, shuddering, hard down shifts, slipping badly.

I bought the truck new.  GM has become a soup sandwich. GM needs to simplify and streamline it's vehicles so they can do something well.
View Quote
They do diesels with allisons well. Really well actually.  They do HD diesel trucks, full sized SUV's and high value sports cars.  That's about it. The margins are pretty sweet on those products too....anybody think that's a coincidence?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top