Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 358
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I see some people making the claim what Dumb and Dumber did was keeping with the spirit of the books and "subverted expectations."  Here is what the guy who actually wrote the books said about it:

“I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that.”

But hey, what the hell does the guy who wrote the source material know about the source material, right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They wanted to show desperation, but the writers could of done so intelligently.

Have the army set up properly, with the army behind trenches and barriers, with commanders and trebuchets in back. You can still show the death-rush overpower and overflow the barriers and front lines in an incredible tide. It shows the living being very prepared but still pathetically overwhelmed.

You can have the dead do unpredictable tactics. Maybe have dead giants launch handful of undead at groups of men, or up over the walls. When things start looking bleak, have Davos launch the signal for calvary. They are located on makeout point with D&J, and they come down charging at the side. Right before the moment of impact, NK dives out of the night sky and torches them.

The commanders beat the retreat when the army of the undead reaches the back lines. You still get the impact of a losing battle with devastation.
View Quote
That would have been great.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked the IMDb.Com.

More people have rated Last weeks episode than the first two combined.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Two interviews are causing me to have a very, very reserved modicum of hope that not only will Daenerys die, but she might even go somewhat Mad Queen and have to be put down.

- Dumb and Dumber said they plan to turn their cell phones off during and after the finale.  In their minds Dany is THE fan favorite and everyone loves her. So if she got killed off they'd think that would piss everyone off.

- There is also Emilia Clarke who said, after finishing shooting her Daenerys scenes, she couldn't believe that's how Dany will be remembered.  That doesn't seem like something she'd say if Dany honorably took the throne.

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two interviews are causing me to have a very, very reserved modicum of hope that not only will Daenerys die, but she might even go somewhat Mad Queen and have to be put down.

- Dumb and Dumber said they plan to turn their cell phones off during and after the finale.  In their minds Dany is THE fan favorite and everyone loves her. So if she got killed off they'd think that would piss everyone off.

- There is also Emilia Clarke who said, after finishing shooting her Daenerys scenes, she couldn't believe that's how Dany will be remembered.  That doesn't seem like something she'd say if Dany honorably took the throne.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/GQT9tuAchaBG0/giphy.gif
View Quote
Martin has only been setting that up for at least two books now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
People here are taking the show way too seriously.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Studio Version)
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Elton John - Blue Eyes - HQ Audio -- LYRICS
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Crystal Gayle Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue 1977 HQ
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll let somebody else do The Who's Behind Blue Eyes
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't mean Dumb and Dumber are going to do it on the show.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll let somebody else do The Who's Behind Blue Eyes
View Quote
Behind Blue Eyes - The Who (Janet Devlin Cover)
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It wasn't.

The plot armor was just a little too heavy this last show.  If you want to save characters for the plot, don't put them in desperate situations where it's unlikely they could survive.

That was a writing/director flaw.

Major gripes with the episode:

1. military formations at the beginning and deployment of military assets.  
2. too much plot armor
3. needed to clearly show how Arya did what she did.

Before those, I personally think the Night King should have been the ultimate boss, not Cersei.  It'll be interesting how they make Cersei a more interesting threat, then the magical immortal with an undead army hellbent on wiping out humanity.

I still enjoyed the episode, go figure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/znRstrOYuirrW/giphy.gif

Okay, so how smart was it to have every single commander of the living on the front line. Beric, Edd, Hound, Worm, Brienne, Jamie, Tormund, with Mormont even leading the suicide charge. You could say it was a miracle that only one died in that part of the battle.
It wasn't.

The plot armor was just a little too heavy this last show.  If you want to save characters for the plot, don't put them in desperate situations where it's unlikely they could survive.

That was a writing/director flaw.

Major gripes with the episode:

1. military formations at the beginning and deployment of military assets.  
2. too much plot armor
3. needed to clearly show how Arya did what she did.

Before those, I personally think the Night King should have been the ultimate boss, not Cersei.  It'll be interesting how they make Cersei a more interesting threat, then the magical immortal with an undead army hellbent on wiping out humanity.

I still enjoyed the episode, go figure.
Many of the characters listed were on the front lines for the same visual reason they don't wear helmets.  It's so you know who/where they are and what is happening to them in the battle.  Otherwise they just get lost in the mess of battle.

The plot armor is a problem just like everywhere else in the series and every other fantasy story with battles.  Every other battle you knew Jon and Dany would be fine because they have thick plot armor.

The tactics were poor, but the show is not a primer on the proper use of military tactics in Westeros.  The plan and setup weren't terrible for the slow stupid enemy they thought they were facing.  They were completely unprepared for a fast moving flood of zombies.  Even the best tactics would have failed against the NK.  He could have controlled the weather and sent a blizzard to descend on Winterfell as his army got there.  The defenders wouldnt be able to do or coordinate anything if visibility is 20 ft.  The viewer wouldn't  be able to see anything and that would make bad tv.  Even LOTR has a bunch of terrible tactics on screen and a lot for the sake of convenience and looking cool on screen.

With Arya attacking the NK, there is no way to show how she was making her move without killing the suspense and surprise of the scene.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I see some people making the claim what Dumb and Dumber did was keeping with the spirit of the books and "subverted expectations."  Here is what the guy who actually wrote the books said about it:

“I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that.”

But hey, what the hell does the guy who wrote the source material know about the source material, right?
View Quote
D&D did a good job leaving a lot of clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK.  There was very little to suggest there would be a final lightsaber battle between jon and the NK that the fanboi's so desperately wanted.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
A YouTube reviewer is saying the night king is not dead and will return... if this is the case the lore may be salvaged even tho the last episode sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A YouTube reviewer is saying the night king is not dead and will return... if this is the case the lore may be salvaged even tho the last episode sucks donkey balls.
View Quote
When we see Jon, Sansa, and Arya in the crypts at Winterfeld and the fog rolls in, is that Bran warging into the new Night King?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

D&D did a good job leaving a lot of clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK.  There was very little to suggest there would be a final lightsaber battle between jon and the NK that the fanboi's so desperately wanted.
View Quote
You mean like adding stuff in this episode?

Meanwhile, Jon has actually seen and faced off against white walkers several times, killing one in the past. Get real dude. Bad writing is bad writing. This episode was the first episode Arya had even seen the undead. Jon was squaring off in season 1.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When we see Jon, Sansa, and Arya in the crypts at Winterfeld and the fog rolls in, is that Bran warging into the new Night King?
View Quote
Not real sure. She was saying the actor playing the night king has hinted on Twitter that he is not dead and will return in episode 4.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just checked the IMDb.Com.

More people have rated Last weeks episode than the first two combined.
View Quote
It also has the lowest rating of the 3.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, Jon has actually seen and faced off against white walkers several times, killing one in the past. Get real dude. Bad writing is bad writing. This episode was the first episode Arya had even seen the undead. Jon was squaring off in season 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jon's whole character arc was about his identity and coming to grips with who he was and becoming a leader.  He stopped the wildlings invasion, took back the North for his family, and led and won the war against the NK and the dead.  Arya's arc revolved around death and becoming an assassin and a killer,  satisfying her desire to get personal revenge but then changing her path to return to protect her family.  This is perfectly in keeping with her killing the NK to save Bran and everyone else.

There is nothing to suggest that there has to be a final lightsaber battle between Jon and Nk and Jon has the deal the killing blow.  NK isn't even in the book, so how can killing him be the fulfillment of Jon's character arc?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People here are taking the show way too seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDEiLImUUM8
View Quote
It's not just here. You know what they say, the worst part of GoT and ASOIAF is the fans. LOL
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Jon's whole character arc was about his identity and coming to grips with who he was and becoming a leader.  He stopped the wildlings invasion, took back the North for his family, and led and won the war against the NK and the dead.  Arya's arc revolved around death and becoming an assassin and a killer,  satisfying her desire to get personal revenge but then changing her path to return to protect her family.  This is perfectly in keeping with her killing the NK to save Bran and everyone else.

There is nothing to suggest that there has to be a final lightsaber battle between Jon and Nk and Jon has the deal the killing blow.  NK isn't even in the book, so how can killing him be the fulfillment of Jon's character arc?
View Quote
Bran "saw her at the crossroads". That was the critical moment she chose to join Jon over killing Cersei.

Hot Pie saves the world.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
D&D did a good job leaving a lot of clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK. There was very little to suggest there would be a final lightsaber battle between jon and the NK that the fanboi's so desperately wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D&D did a good job leaving a lot of clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK. There was very little to suggest there would be a final lightsaber battle between jon and the NK that the fanboi's so desperately wanted.
I can't tell if you're joking or not. But if you're being serious:

No, Dumb and Dumber didn't do "a good job leaving a lot of clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK." I thought maybe I was missing some stuff so I read one of the articles about "all the clues that Arya would get the kill on the NK" and all the ones from S7 were a stretch and all the ones going back before that were laughable.  Especially considering Dumb and Dumber themselves said they had known for only 3 years Arya was going to kill the NK.

My favorite was bringing up the scene in the pilot where Bran is learning how to shoot and Arya sneaks up behind them and puts one in the bullseye.  Apparently this is foreshadowing that Arya will sneak up and kill the NK 8 seasons later.

Also it didn't have to be Jon v. NK for me.  I would have liked to see our heroes battling the White Walkers (not just wights) in the godswood and ended with a 2 on 1 fight between Jon and Ayra vs the NK dual wielding swords.

Instead Jaime, Brienne, etc. get pushed up against a wall by wights for 30 mins and Jon yells at a dragon while the NK walks up to Bran, looks at him, and then Arya jumps out of the bushes and stabs him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve heard the final lightsaber duel thing thrown around by a lot of people trying to justify why they like The Last Jedi and all of it’s critics are wrong. Something about subverting expectations.

How is Rian Johnson’s next Star Wars movie going? He was supposed to direct a new trilogy, right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
So, people hate the show, and they come post about at length because they like to bitch? Is that what this thread is?

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, people hate the show, and they come post about at length because they like to bitch? Is that what this thread is?

View Quote
I have read the vast majority of posts in this thread and I can't recall seeing any that said they hated the show. Maybe I just missed them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like the source material, like the show. That doesn't mean you can't level valid criticism.

No one was asking for a lightsaber battle. The ending of the episode just didn't make sense. Logistics or story wise.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’ve heard the final lightsaber duel thing thrown around by a lot of people trying to justify why they like The Last Jedi and all of it’s critics are wrong. Something about subverting expectations.

How is Rian Johnson’s next Star Wars movie going? He was supposed to direct a new trilogy, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.  Anyone adamantly defending Sunday's episode as a brilliant and well thought out piece of cinematography that fantastically wrapped up an 8 season storyline probably thinks TLJ was a great movie too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dany going all Mad Queen was so foreshadowed in season 7, that it would surprise me if they dont go that route.
Sam talking about her in season 8 ep2 in the crypts, has me sure Jon will have to take the power away from her
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've heard the final lightsaber duel thing thrown around by a lot of people trying to justify why they like The Last Jedi and all of it's critics are wrong. Something about subverting expectations.

How is Rian Johnson's next Star Wars movie going? He was supposed to direct a new trilogy, right?
View Quote
Did someone say lightsabers?

Arya fight
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dany going all Mad Queen so foreshadowed in season 7, that it would surprise me if they dont go that route.
Sam talking about her in season 8 ep2 in the crypts, has me sure Jon will have to take the power away from her
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dany going all Mad Queen so foreshadowed in season 7, that it would surprise me if they dont go that route.
The problem is at this point we can't tell for sure what was foreshadowing and what was simply bad writing. I mean most of us could tell how Dany was coming off as Joffrey-lite when meeting Jon, but I'm not sure Dumb and Dumber knew that based on some of their interviews.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The problem is at this point we can't tell for sure what was foreshadowing and what was simply bad writing. I mean most of us could tell how Dany was coming off as Joffrey-lite when meeting Jon, but I'm not sure Dumb and Dumber knew that based on some of their interviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

Maybe she'll go all "burn them all" when she realizes she can't take kings landing, and Jamie stabs her in the back
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
True

Maybe she'll go all "burn them all" when she realizes she can't take kings landing, and Jamie stabs her in the back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True

I'm hoping it's Arya.  Let the SJW's 2nd favorite character kill their favorite character.

In episode 6 Dany is going to betray Jon and then Arya kills her.  There would actually be a little foreshadowing for that one with Sansa saying in S7 that Arya would kill Sansa if she thought Sansa was going to betray Jon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#33]
For what it's worth, these were Maisie Williams shoes when she was done shooting her Arya scenes:

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm hoping it's Arya.  Let the SJW's 2nd favorite character kill their favorite character.

In episode 6 Dany is going to betray Jon and then Arya kills her.  There would actually be a little foreshadowing for that one with Sansa saying in S7 that Arya would kill Sansa if she thought Sansa was going to betray Jon.
View Quote
If you want foreshadowing, Arya telling Jon to never forget he is a Stark came off as threat. Weird and dark.

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you want foreshadowing, Arya telling Jon to never forget he is a Stark came off as threat. Weird and dark.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IygXkYBnfrJTHXi/giphy.gif
View Quote
Honestly Maisie's portrayal of Arya gets weirder all the time. Some scenes are great but others are creepy and off somehow. I'm a big fan of the character and most of her acting but the last couple of seasons it seems like they've been asking her for something she doesn't know how to do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Honestly Maisie's portrayal of Arya gets weirder all the time. Some scenes are great but others are creepy and off somehow. I'm a big fan of the character and most of her acting but the last couple of seasons it seems like they've been asking her for something she doesn't know how to do.
View Quote
I see your point. It’s like with Bran. Directors are trying to make her seem like an enigma. Sadly, in their mission for her to be mysterious, her acting and blank faces come off as wooden.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
She wore Nike shoes while she was filming?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
She wore Nike shoes while she was filming?
Not necessarily.

Richard Madden (Robb Stark) talked about how after shooting the Red Wedding he left quickly to catch a flight to London.  There was so much fake blood that it was on his new clothes.  On the flight he was crying like a baby while wearing bloody clothes looking like he just murdered someone.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IygXkYBnfrJTHXi/giphy.gif
My impression was her trying too hard to come off as being toughened/hardened, either from the life she's had or her training
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Many of the characters listed were on the front lines for the same visual reason they don't wear helmets.  It's so you know who/where they are and what is happening to them in the battle.  Otherwise they just get lost in the mess of battle.

The plot armor is a problem just like everywhere else in the series and every other fantasy story with battles.  Every other battle you knew Jon and Dany would be fine because they have thick plot armor.

The tactics were poor, but the show is not a primer on the proper use of military tactics in Westeros.  The plan and setup weren't terrible for the slow stupid enemy they thought they were facing.  They were completely unprepared for a fast moving flood of zombies.  Even the best tactics would have failed against the NK.  He could have controlled the weather and sent a blizzard to descend on Winterfell as his army got there.  The defenders wouldnt be able to do or coordinate anything if visibility is 20 ft.  The viewer wouldn't  be able to see anything and that would make bad tv.  Even LOTR has a bunch of terrible tactics on screen and a lot for the sake of convenience and looking cool on screen.

With Arya attacking the NK, there is no way to show how she was making her move without killing the suspense and surprise of the scene.
View Quote
Why would they not expect fast zombies? Multiple people sitting around that table planning this were at hardhome. They knew exactly what they were facing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think it says it all when it's the actress herself is not only saying it, but saying it an interview that's supposed to be hyping up the show.

Kinda like how GRRM claims he doesn't have time to watch GoT (so he can't be asked if he likes it) but then tweets how great other shows are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maisie Williams (Arya) after finding out Arya was going to be the one to kill the NK:

“It was so unbelievably exciting, but I immediately thought that everybody would hate it.  That Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well,  [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 45kg girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”

https://media2.giphy.com/media/ZFJYcVE5lYvWE/giphy.gif
I'll drink to that!
I think it says it all when it's the actress herself is not only saying it, but saying it an interview that's supposed to be hyping up the show.

Kinda like how GRRM claims he doesn't have time to watch GoT (so he can't be asked if he likes it) but then tweets how great other shows are.
Well, her boyfriend said it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I found a movie on Amazon prime last night called Knights of Badassdom. Peter Dinklage plays a LARPER high on shrooms. And Summer Glau has a +3 Ass of pefection.

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Lol. What a shit ending to this series.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Just spent a while reading all the spoilers on reddit.

The rest of the season should be fun.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top