[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
She is ancient but looks young.   Just what "magic" trick can you use to do that?  Askin for a friend.

8nBAIT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, Melisandre is a fraud.  She comments that her spells work better at the wall -- but she's using tricks to make "magic" and has been for a long time.  
She is ancient but looks young.   Just what "magic" trick can you use to do that?  Askin for a friend.

8nBAIT
Illusion, 8nbait. A trick is something a whore does for money... or candy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i guess Thyros of Myr didn't repeatedly resurrect Beric Dondarrion either?

The Lord of Light acting through his priests/priestesses
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Martin doesn't believe in magic or gods.

There's some things going on for certain -- but things are probably not as they seem.

BTW, Melisandre is a fraud.  She comments that her spells work better at the wall -- but she's using tricks to make "magic" and has been for a long time.  
what about her resurrecting Jon Snow?
She hasn't...

She may not have done so even in the show...

We don’t even know if the lord of light exists.

You really need to pay more attention.

Keep in mind that Martin has specifically he doesn’t believe in magic or gods at all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We don't even know if the lord of light exists.

Keep in mind that Martin has specifically he doesn't believe in magic or gods at all.
View Quote
if it's not magic or divine action, what power is allowing followers of R'hllor to resurrect dead people? Jon Snow, Lady Stoneheart, and Beric Dondarrion were all brought back
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if it's not magic or divine action, what power is allowing followers of R'hllor to resurrect dead people? Jon Snow, Lady Stoneheart, and Beric Dondarrion were all brought back
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that Martin has specifically he doesn't believe in magic or gods at all.
I think one is talking about the movie vs the book.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The last book ended with Snow being stabbed. We’re not even sure he’s dead.

Everything beyond that is the showrunners’ imagination.
View Quote

Is this thread about the books?

We are so far beyond the book material your comment is ludicrous.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's the question.  Are they being resurrected?

The wights aren't alive and it's likely that the red god's resurrections aren't alive either.  Dondarrion is pretty clear about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps.  But the show is (even if possibly loosely) based on the books.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The way it was done even in the show you don't know for certain that it was her actions that revived him. I think there are differences in how Jon behaves in the show and the way the others revived by the Red God behaved. He is still a full person whereas the others made clear they were filled with the single purpose they had when killed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He's not going to survive.  He and Cersei came into the world together, and they will leave the world together.  It would be really cool if Bran told him about Ned Stark's offer.  Remember in Season 1 Ned offered Cersei a chance to leave with her children before telling Robert (which ended up being his downfall).  If she had taken him up on that, they'd probably all be alive today.  Tywin would have either protected them at the Rock, or sent them to Essos beyond Stannis' reach.  Jamie was never one for titles, and I think he would have been happy to live in obscurity in some mansion in the Free Cities with Cersei and their children.  Cersei is the one who had to sacrifice everything for power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying he's gonna cheerfully enlist in the Nights Watch, but what other options does he really have?
He's not going to survive.  He and Cersei came into the world together, and they will leave the world together.  It would be really cool if Bran told him about Ned Stark's offer.  Remember in Season 1 Ned offered Cersei a chance to leave with her children before telling Robert (which ended up being his downfall).  If she had taken him up on that, they'd probably all be alive today.  Tywin would have either protected them at the Rock, or sent them to Essos beyond Stannis' reach.  Jamie was never one for titles, and I think he would have been happy to live in obscurity in some mansion in the Free Cities with Cersei and their children.  Cersei is the one who had to sacrifice everything for power.
I said it in last season's thread and got ripped for it. Jaime will become the 1,000th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The way it was done even in the show you don't know for certain that it was her actions that revived him. I think there are differences in how Jon behaves in the show and the way the others revived by the Red God behaved. He is still a full person whereas the others made clear they were filled with the single purpose they had when killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Euron is crowned king of the Iron Islands, the priest or whatever drowns him to the point where he’s either dead or unconscious. Then he’s laid on the beach where he eventually comes to without CPR or any other sort of resuscitation. Was he dead and the Drowned God brought him back to life? What is dead may never die?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When Euron is crowned king of the Iron Islands, the priest or whatever drowns him to the point where he’s either dead or unconscious. Then he’s laid on the beach where he eventually comes to without CPR or any other sort of resuscitation. Was he dead and the Drowned God brought him back to life? What is dead may never die?
View Quote
I honestly should probably re read those sections. The Iron Islands chapters would tend to make me glaze over a bit with boredom.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I honestly should probably re read those sections. The Iron Islands chapters would tend to make me glaze over a bit with boredom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find myself NOT looking forward to the TWOW coming out because I know I'll have to reread books 4 and 5.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I find myself NOT looking forward to the TWOW coming out because I know I'll have to reread books 4 and 5.
View Quote
I am looking for a maid of three and ten
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
D&D know how the books end. GRRM told them how the books end.

How each get there after book 4 is the only thing different.

And yes, Jon did die. It makes sense from both the show and book perspective. He is now free of his oath to the Night's Watch, and can become the heir to Winterfell, being both a Stark and Targaryen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only watched the show. But I've read every post in the GOT threads here which is probably even better than reading the books.
I'm rewatching all the episodes in preparation for the last season and saw Euron being crowned last night. He was held under and "let his lungs fill with water". But the book probably has a lot more detail.

The Ironborn are a bunch of losers so I can see why their chapters might suck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And yes, Jon did die. It makes sense from both the show and book perspective. He is now free of his oath to the Night's Watch, and can become the heir to Winterfell, being both a Stark and Targaryen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

Or maybe not.  He can be free of his vows in a number of other ways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

Its kinda hard to believe books 4 and 5 were written by the same person that wrote books 1, 2 , and 3.  I binge read the first 3 books. I probably finished each one in under a week. It took me MONTHS to finish books 4 and 5. It got to the point it was almost like forcing myself to do homework.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

After Greyjoy's Rebellion, Robert's forces should have razed every structure on the Islands, burnt every ship, destroyed every tree, salted the earth, and sailed away.  No reason to let those people live.
View Quote
Why?  They're a very useful navy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After Greyjoy's Rebellion, Robert's forces should have razed every structure on the Islands, burnt every ship, destroyed every tree, salted the earth, and sailed away.  No reason to let those people live.
View Quote
I HAVE wondered whence all the trees came?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Build me a thousand ships, and I will give you this world."

Not only did they somehow have all the materials readily available, but they apparently built them in just a few months.

How?

Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't take that much wood for medieval ships.  England didn't start running out until the 19th century, and they were building much larger ships.

Medieval.

Attachment Attached File

19th Century.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone mentioned Maisie Williams says you should rewatch S01 because S08 will have a lot to do with stuff mentioned there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned Maisie Williams says you should rewatch S01 because S08 will have a lot to do with stuff mentioned there.
View Quote
I rewatched all seasons a couple of weeks back
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, but I will get right on that.

Edited to add, looked last night on Amazon prime and all seasons EXCEPT season 1 are free...hmmmm...
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Really does sound like they're not sparing any expense for this season, and this doesn't even include
the sets, CGI, etc...

"Dany’s arrival into Winterfell was filmed many times. We’ve heard this before: the almost doubled production time wasn’t just for the sake of battles, but to ensure every scene is filmed in the best way possible. Showrunners Benioff and Weiss didn’t want to spare any expense to do the ending justice; or, as they put it to XLSemanal, to “not fuck it up.” And so they spent ten months filming only six episodes, with as many as three units, repeating takes, tweaking movements and dialogue; polishing for days scenes that should take hours. The showrunners took it more seriously than ever before.

This also applies to everyone in the crew. The costume department’s Kate O’Farrell, who has more than 80 people working for her, claims they “made 22,000 pieces of clothing for extras this season, and another 300 for our stars.” Armorer Natalia Lee’s team worked overtime as well, creating countless “daggers, spears, bows, catapults, hammers, shields, crosbows and scorpions, halberds, maces, flails, tribal weapons; swords of steel, copper obsidian, wood and rubber; sword sheaths…”. And on and on it goes.

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-game-thrones-season-8-promo-photos-set-report-interviews/
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
So she kills another stable boy?

They kill wrights with fire?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They're pirates.  Thieves and rapists.  Hostis humani generis.  And they're only useful when it suits them to be useful.  They'll stab you in the back in a heartbeat.
View Quote
That's pretty much every feudal lord in the medieval world.  They're no worse that Tywin or Walder.  If you're strong, they'll be your loyal navy.  If you're weak, they'll pick the bones from your carcass.  We tend to idealize the idea of knights and castles, but in reality they were basically a Hells Angels motorcycle gang.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They're pirates.  Pirates have been universally reviled since Roman times.

Except in times of war, Lannister or Frey subjects generally live in peace.  They farm, mine, smith, etc.

The ironborn's entire way of life is based on piracy.  There is a huge difference.
View Quote
You're not going to eliminate the entire population.  And given the geography of the islands they're always going to be pirates.  But after the Greyjoy rebellion was quashed, they were pretty quiet, limiting their raiding to Essos for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Some interesting hypotheses!
Watch This Before You See The Final Game Of Thrones Season

The Third Clue that Arya Stark will kill the Mountain in Game of Thrones Season 8
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Jack Posobeic is going to post spoilers for the entire season 8 on IG at 5:00 EST.  He's been tweeting about it all day...

Sounds like he has a grudge against HBO and D&D, and claims to have an insider source.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I rewatched all seasons a couple of weeks back
View Quote
Wife and I did the same over the winter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They're pirates.  Thieves and rapists.  Hostis humani generis.  And they're only useful when it suits them to be useful.  They'll stab you in the back in a heartbeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  They're a very useful navy.
careful.  you're starting to sound like a progressive talking about white males.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jack Posobeic is going to post spoilers for the entire season 8 on IG at 5:00 EST.  He's been tweeting about it all day...

Sounds like he has a grudge against HBO and D&D, and claims to have an insider source.
View Quote
He is going to post it on Instagram, which is private. Anyone friends with him on Insta?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
He is going to post it on Instagram, which is private. Anyone friends with him on Insta?

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Just hit follow and see if he accepts
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I have no idea if that's true or not, but I had a feeling that character wouldn't survive.

I also have no idea who Jack Probiseic is...
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Posobeic is a poser.  I wouldn't believe anything he says.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No shit.

Its kinda hard to believe books 4 and 5 were written by the same person that wrote books 1, 2 , and 3.  I binge read the first 3 books. I probably finished each one in under a week. It took me MONTHS to finish books 4 and 5. It got to the point it was almost like forcing myself to do homework.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

That’s because he changed as a writer.  More money.  Responded to fan criticism and rewrote excessively.   Full of himself and doing book and Con tours rather than writing for his pay.  Think of Steven King after his accident and being sober.  Totally different feel to his books.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Why no spoilers tho?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 2:30:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why no spoilers tho?
View Quote
Because the vast majority of people don't want to see them.  Especially considering we are now only about two weeks away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I read the spoilers.

They seem utterly bullshit and there is no proof that the leaker is credible.  Time will tell though
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really does sound like they're not sparing any expense for this season, and this doesn't even include
the sets, CGI, etc...

"Dany’s arrival into Winterfell was filmed many times. We’ve heard this before: the almost doubled production time wasn’t just for the sake of battles, but to ensure every scene is filmed in the best way possible. Showrunners Benioff and Weiss didn’t want to spare any expense to do the ending justice; or, as they put it to XLSemanal, to “not fuck it up.” And so they spent ten months filming only six episodes, with as many as three units, repeating takes, tweaking movements and dialogue; polishing for days scenes that should take hours. The showrunners took it more seriously than ever before.

This also applies to everyone in the crew. The costume department’s Kate O’Farrell, who has more than 80 people working for her, claims they “made 22,000 pieces of clothing for extras this season, and another 300 for our stars.” Armorer Natalia Lee’s team worked overtime as well, creating countless “daggers, spears, bows, catapults, hammers, shields, crosbows and scorpions, halberds, maces, flails, tribal weapons; swords of steel, copper obsidian, wood and rubber; sword sheaths…”. And on and on it goes.

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-game-thrones-season-8-promo-photos-set-report-interviews/
View Quote
I would rather they spent that effort developing the story, rather than the visuals. Knockout visuals cannot save a fouled-up story. See Star Wars 1-3.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would rather they spent that effort developing the story, rather than the visuals. Knockout visuals cannot save a fouled-up story. See Star Wars 1-3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the sets, CGI, etc...

I would settle for more Ghost screen time vs useless dragon flying scene-setting shots
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would settle for more Ghost screen time vs useless dragon flying scene-setting shots
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the sets, CGI, etc...

Fuckin' A.  That shit in S6 made me dislike Daenerys even more.  There is no telling how much they spent on that completely unnecessary "look how badass Dany is riding this dragon" scene at the end of Blood of My Blood (where Daenerys is convincing the people who were already following her to follow her) meanwhile Ghost has been MIA since early S6.

Hell, they had have Sansa mention Ghost's name to Arya just so the casual fans didn't forget he existed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why no spoilers tho?
View Quote
Make a separate thread like last season if you want to discuss spoilers, otherwise people (including me) will be extremely pissed.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top