Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 358
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got was a story of ice and fire. HotD is a story of piss and shit.

I thought we were going to get an epic series about conquerors riding kick ass dragons like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195283/704_TSOW_jpg-2572568.JPG

Instead we got this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195283/tv-show-game-of-thrones-harry-lloyd-vise-2572573.JPG

And this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195283/221004-barney-dinosaur-al-1132-c8ea46_jp-2572576.JPG

I read this before the show was released and thought to JFC they ruined it. I am not wrong. As it stands right now this show is no where near epic.

They even blew the soundtrack.
View Quote

It’s a humorous representation of how far the show had fallen when Viserys from S1 looked more like Rhaegar than “Rhaegar” in S6 did.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was a great episode.  The war ultimately kicking off because the bickering kids aren't really in control of the dragons was a nice touch.

I also thought it was a very enjoyable show overall.  It's better than almost anything else currently on TV, and had this show been released before GoT, I think it would be getting almost universal acclaim.  GoT season 1 is probably the best opening of any series ever, so using that as a measuring stick is going to mean everything falls short.  Consider this versus the first seasons of similar (big budget sci-fi/fantasy) recent shows like Halo, The Wheel of Time, The Rings of Power, The Sandman, Shadow and Bone, The Witcher, etc.  It's far better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a little underwhelming.  I'll continue to watch it b/c I have nothing better to do on Sunday nights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Having a 25 year old actor who looks like he's 30, playing a 16 year old Aemond, makes the scenes of him being immature annoying.

He's 16 and Luke is like 11, so the childish fighting and the inability to control their dragons makes sense, but when you see it on screen it just seems off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I enjoyed it.   I liked the choice to have the kids not in full control of their dragons, it makes what is coming even more tragic than in the book.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also thought it was a very enjoyable show overall.  It's better than almost anything else currently on TV, and had this show been released before GoT, I think it would be getting almost universal acclaim.  GoT season 1 is probably the best opening of any series ever, so using that as a measuring stick is going to mean everything falls short.  Consider this versus the first seasons of similar (big budget sci-fi/fantasy) recent shows like Halo, The Wheel of Time, The Rings of Power, The Sandman, Shadow and Bone, The Witcher, etc.  It's far better.
View Quote

Here is the problem with sci-fi/fantasy. There is not that much of it so fans are so happy to get something they act like it is cake when it really is a crumb.

Now I am hearing that season two will not air until 2024. Trying to be hopeful I am thinking this might be a good thing. They have the feedback from season one and plenty of time.

We may have one part of the problem solved. GoT alumnus Miguel Sapochnik is leaving the show. From what I have read he was burned out from GoT and did not want to do the show at all. They convinced him to come back and he agreed to only do the first season. GoT alumnus Alan Taylor is replacing him. I think this will be a good thing.

Sapochnik directed the following episodes:
- The Bells (2019)
- The Long Night (2019)
- The Winds of Winter (2016)
- Battle of the Bastards (2016)
- Hardhome (2015)
- The Gift (2015)

These episode were the end of season five on so they were not the strongest GoT episodes.

Alan Talyor directed:
- Beyond the Wall (2017)
- Valar Morghulis (2012)
- The Prince of Winterfell (2012)
- The Night Lands (2012)
- The North Remembers (2012)
- Fire and Blood (2011)
- Baelor (2011)

Almost all of these were earlier episodes when the show was stronger.

We still have the writer problem. I think all the writers sit to pea and are driven by a social agenda. Hopefully they will get some real feedback and drop it. I would love to know how much say GRRM has over this show.

Even if those issues are resolved I do not believe this show will achieve the status earned by GoT. As I had mentioned before GoT had some serious acting talent. HotD's current cast is no where near that. I have never been a fan of Matt Smith. Hopefully they will bring in some veteran actors with new characters in season two.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't like this episode for a couple of reasons.

1. Pacing was wrong.  I get that the big shocking thing is the dragon fight where Rhany's kid dies, but in Season 1 of GOT the whole show was building to that moment when Ned gets beheaded.  Here is just kinda happens.  Otherwise, the rest of the show is just boring.  Blah blah man out of line.  Blah blah stronk womyn puts him in place.  Blah blah repeat.  Yawn.  

2. The actress who plays Rhany sucks.  Bring back Milly.  Seriously, that last scene of her trying to look tough was just fucking cringe.  

3. It's a fantasy.  F-A-N-T-A-S-Y.  Season 1 GOT gave us graphic sex and violence, which were part of a medieval world.  Season 1 HOTD gave us two overly long, graphic childbirth scenes ending badly.  Yes, it's part of a medieval world.  So is taking a shit inna woods.  WE DON'T NEED TO SEE IT.  When people fantasize about a Game of Thrones they fantasize about a swordfight with The Mountain and then fucking whores afterwards in Littlefinger's brothel.  Again, FANTASY.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it overall.  Agree with the poster above the childbirth scenes are a bit over the top, and it seems like they are really trying too hard to make Rhaenerys(sp?) off to be the wise woman queen.  

She was way better as a teenager, they should have kept that vibe going.   As a teenager, she had more balls than most of the men in the show and it played off smoothly.  As queen, it all seems out of place and strained.

But I'm a sucker, so I'll keep watching it unless it really goes south.

The dragon scenes are great, wish there were more of them.  I was actually a bit surprised at the end of the season finale, wasn't expecting that outcome.  I guess that's a good sign.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Enjoyed it for what it was.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thought it was pretty good. Talk about season ender tho.

Lesson learned - If the dragons get pissed they don't give a fuck about your commands.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like it overall.  Agree with the poster above the childbirth scenes are a bit over the top, and it seems like they are really trying too hard to make Rhaenerys(sp?) off to be the wise woman queen.  

She was way better as a teenager, they should have kept that vibe going.   As a teenager, she had more balls than most of the men in the show and it played off smoothly.  As queen, it all seems out of place and strained.

But I'm a sucker, so I'll keep watching it unless it really goes south.

The dragon scenes are great, wish there were more of them.  I was actually a bit surprised at the end of the season finale, wasn't expecting that outcome.  I guess that's a good sign.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I must have seen into it differently. I didn't think the dragon got pissed, I thought Damon talked to him in secret and commanded him to do what he did in order to kick off the war?
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I must have seen into it differently. I didn't think the dragon got pissed, I thought Damon talked to him in secret and commanded him to do what he did in order to kick off the war?
View Quote
I don't think they (kinda, apparently) obey anyone but their bonded rider.  The dragon Daemon was singing to was Vermithor, his grandfather's now riderless dragon that's almost as big as Aemond's.  Daemon was naming off all of the unclaimed dragons earlier in the episode, and the writers may be setting him up for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think they (kinda, apparently) obey anyone but their bonded rider.  The dragon Daemon was singing to was Vermithor, his grandfather's now riderless dragon that's almost as big as Aemond's.  Daemon was naming off all of the unclaimed dragons earlier in the episode, and the writers may be setting him up for an upgrade.
View Quote
Ohhh. Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

He had a look of I just screwed up big time on his face. If that had been intentional on his part he would have given a sly smile.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He had a look of I just screwed up big time on his face. If that had been intentional on his part he would have given a sly smile.
View Quote

This is my (& my wife's) take on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're mixing up Daemon and Aemond.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I liked it. I still they they fucked up overall, though. This show is good, but it should’ve been after the show about Aegon and his sisters conquering Westeros. That would’ve put them in GoT revenue for a decade, between the two.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I liked it. I still they they fucked up overall, though. This show is good, but it should've been after the show about Aegon and his sisters conquering Westeros. That would've put them in GoT revenue for a decade, between the two.
View Quote
agreed. a series based on The Conquest was talked about but didn't get far. They actually started production on a series based on The Age of Heroes which would have been 1000s of years earlier but shit canned it when the Fire and Blood book came out
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm just wondering if Driftmark is really going to back Rhaenyra.  I mean, they haven't done well under her aegis, have they?
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Well he can’t bitch about his eye anymore.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought it was clear he didn't intend to kill his cousin.  I can't see where there was any question about it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought it was clear he didn't intend to kill his cousin.  I can't see where there was any question about it.
View Quote
They made it more than obvious that neither dragon was following commands from their riders. The small one panicked and lashed out and Aemond's went full Fuck Around and Find Out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They made it more than obvious that neither dragon was following commands from their riders. The small one panicked and lashed out and Aemond's went full Fuck Around and Find Out.
View Quote

I do not see how they could have made it any more obvious that is what happened.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm just wondering if Driftmark is really going to back Rhaenyra.  I mean, they haven't done well under her aegis, have they?
View Quote

With their grandaughters tied to the boy(s) it would be tough but not impossible to sever ties.  We shall see
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Enjoyed it for what it was.
View Quote

This, very much. Its not as good as GOT, but, its still entertains me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I just started reading The Book.
I am literally on Page 2.
So I ask again: Should I or should I NOT go to HboMax and subscribe just long enough to watch the series

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it goes by the books it won't be Daemon riding Vermithor, but one of the dragonseeds
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I ask again: Should I or should I NOT go to HboMax and subscribe just long enough to watch the series

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40561/Book_jpg-2576718.JPG
View Quote

I don't think it makes any difference.  If you do the tv show first, it spoils the first part of the book.  If you do the book first it spoils every season of the show.  Same reader/watcher conundrum GOT had until GRRM forgot how to write a book and the show caught up and passed him.

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch the series and then read the book.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page 4
Gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If it goes by the books it won't be Daemon riding Vermithor, but one of the dragonseeds
View Quote

The show is already starting to stray from the book. I won't be surprised to see some significant changes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do not see how they could have made it any more obvious that is what happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They even, for the first time, put subtitles for their High Valeryan commands... If you can't figure that out then you couldn't find a wet pussy with a sniffer, a pound of flower, a headlight and a map...

Quoted:
Quoted:

The show is already starting to stray from the book. I won't be surprised to see some significant changes.

I'm going to read the book. Assholes are already spoiling future events like a motherfucker anyway in my experience. Plus not only do they have to make changes like they did in GOT to keep things interesting and shock everybody, the book was written so vaguely feom second and third hand accounts its never really clear what actually happened. Brilliant move on GRRM's part, he wrote it knowing they'd make it into a show and could still surprise readers and watchers alike
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#39]
what was the significance of the dragon flashes when the Queen was giving birth?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
what was the significance of the dragon flashes when the Queen was giving birth?
View Quote
I took it as the dragon was connected and experiencing it as well but that was when I thought it was hers, was it the kids who died's dragon?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I took it as the dragon was connected and experiencing it as well but that was when I thought it was hers, was it the kids who died's dragon?
View Quote

it was the queens dragon that was feeling her masters agony
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did not get that at all.

I figured it had something to do with the show's women suffering under the patriarchy message.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck, I thought it had something to do with her heritage as a daughter of dragons not her dragon literally feeling her pain!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I did not get that at all.

I figured it had something to do with the show's women suffering under the patriarchy message.
View Quote
That was the Prince who was Promised.  The prophecy died in that scene.  That's why Jon Snow did fuck-all and the Night King got killed by some rando.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That was the Prince who was Promised.  The prophecy died in that scene.  That's why Jon Snow did fuck-all and the Night King got killed by some rando.  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit you’re right

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it wasn't for the fact that the Long Night does not happen for another ~150 years I would say you could be right.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought she was going to pop out 3 dragon eggs that don't resurface for 9 generations or so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not uncommon for Targaryen still births to come out deformed, with dragon features like tails, scales, etc. I believe they were hinting that this was the case here
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there a real world example of the second son being heir apparent to a lesser house due to his older brother being heir to a greater one, like Luke and Jace?
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top