Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Best Case Scenario: There were so many plot threads that he decided to write TWOW and ADOS together to make sure nothing got left out.  Once TWOW releases ADOS will be shortly behind.
Middling Scenario: He has some form of writer's block but is working it all out.
Bad Scenario: All the stuff we hate from GOT Seasons 7-8 is in there and he doesn't know how to fix it.
Worst Scenario: He's given up for some reason, either because he's too rich and doesn't care, he's getting old, or he just has no idea how to go forward.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Best Case Scenario: There were so many plot threads that he decided to write TWOW and ADOS together to make sure nothing got left out.  Once TWOW releases ADOS will be shortly behind.
Middling Scenario: He has some form of writer's block but is working it all out.
Bad Scenario: All the stuff we hate from GOT Seasons 7-8 is in there and he doesn't know how to fix it.
Worst Scenario: He's given up for some reason, either because he's too rich and doesn't care, he's getting old, or he just has no idea how to go forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it's a combination of the following:

1. He painted himself into a corner.
    GRRM literally can't even keep track of the 1,000+ characters and 100+ story lines he has going.  Now he has to start wrapping things up (rather than expanded his world even more) and he has no idea how.

2. Writers block.
    Let's be honest, the last two books sucked and he has to know that.  If you have a strong start (which he had) and a strong finish, the shitty middle will be an afterthought.  However, you MUST stick the landing to make up for it.

3. The end result of what happened on the show will happen in the books.
    He will undoubtedly do a MUCH better job of building to it, but when Dany randomly going crazy and Bran becoming king because "he has the best story" are universally hated by fans I imagine he's under even more pressure to write it well.

4. He lost his passion for writing ASOIAF.
    Looking at the laundry list of projects GRRM has worked on since he started writing book 6 over a decade ago, I think this one is pretty obvious.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it's a combination of the following:

1. He painted himself into a corner.
    GRRM literally can't even keep track of the 1,000+ characters and 100+ story lines he has going.  Now he has to start wrapping things up (rather than expanded his world even more) and he has no idea how.

2. Writers block.
    Let's be honest, the last two books sucked and he has to know that.  If you have a strong start (which he had) and a strong finish, the shitty middle will be an afterthought.  However, you MUST stick the landing to make up for it.

3. The end result of what happened on the show will happen in the books.
    He will undoubtedly do a MUCH better job of building to it, but when Dany randomly going crazy and Bran becoming king because "he has the best story" are universally hated by fans I imagine he's under even more pressure to write it well.

4. He lost his passion for writing ASOIAF.
    Looking at the laundry list of projects GRRM has worked on since he started writing book 6 over a decade ago, I think this one is pretty obvious.  
View Quote

5. His assistants left to write The Expanse series and he can't finish it on his own
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Still one of the best scenes in GOT lore.

King Viserys' entrance into the throne room - House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 8

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still one of the best scenes in GOT lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XBP07GeJY
View Quote

Indeed. I can't count the number of times I've watched that scene.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Indeed. I can't count the number of times I've watched that scene.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The rest.

Vaemond's death - House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 8

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

I watched a youtube video a while back that claimed Lord of the Tides was the best episode of GOT since the Obama administration.

He was not wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I watched a youtube video a while back that claimed Lord of the Tides was the best episode of GOT since the Obama administration.

He was not wrong.
View Quote
Oof. That's possibly very true.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was not wrong.

I'll compare HOTD to the Mandalorian, though of course there are big differences.

A fandom that has been fed rancid sludge for years, finally gets a new take on the universe from people who obviously want to restore it to its former glory. I just hope HOTD doesn't take the path of Boba Fett and Mando S3.

HBO has a gold mine on its hands. They just need to not fuck it up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Dude! Spoilers!

Some of us still haven't seen HotD.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dude! Spoilers!

Some of us still haven't seen HotD.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll compare HOTD to the Mandalorian, though of course there are big differences.

A fandom that has been fed rancid sludge for years, finally gets a new take on the universe from people who obviously want to restore it to its former glory. I just hope HOTD doesn't take the path of Boba Fett and Mando S3.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was not wrong.

Debatable.

HBO definitely USE to own a gold mine. Though, to be fair, it wasn't HBO's fault that two egomaniacal hacks with delusions of grandeur decided to pack that mine with a combination of concrete and fecal matter and then, for good measure, dumped a Chernobyl-level amount of radioactive material all over it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Debatable.

HBO definitely USE to own a gold mine. Though, to be fair, it wasn't HBO's fault that two egomaniacal hacks with delusions of grandeur decided to pack that mine with a combination of concrete and fecal matter and then, for good measure, dumped a Chernobyl-level amount of radioactive material all over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was not wrong.

Debatable.

HBO owns the rights to make more of one of the most popular and profitable TV shows of all time. Like I said, they just need to not fuck it up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HBO owns the rights to make more of one of the most popular and profitable TV shows of all time. Like I said, they just need to not fuck it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was not wrong.

Debatable.

Yes, GoT certainly was.  Unfortunately, as stated, Dumb & Dumber poisoned that well on their way out.

It's probably easiest to understand simply by looking at various fandoms of extremely popular series.

The last Harry Potter film was 12 years ago and that fandom is still going strong.

The last Lord of the Rings film was 20 years ago and that fandom is still going strong.

Almost immediately after the last episode of Game of Thrones had aired, the GoT fandom was a vegetable on its deathbed only kept alive by mechanical breathing and feeding tubes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
To HBO's credit, they are at least, now, aware of this and are trying to distance any future projects away from the events of GoT S8.

Though not before they pissed away tens of millions of dollars on a cancelled Night King prequel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, it doesn’t look like new additions to the ASOIAF series are going to be much help.  There is a chance GRRM gets book 6 out before he dies, but there is a “HBO redoing GoT post-S6 with the original actors” level chance he finishes the series before he dies.

What’s more, the books are not trending in a promising direction.  The quality has significantly dropped off while the time it takes to write them has skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Are we STILL waiting for The Winds of Winter?

*checks calendar*

Yep. Still.  

I'm kinda so-so on HOTD. It was visually nice. I should probably watch it all again, at least before the next season.

Wasn't there rumor that they were going to do a Dunk & Egg series?

One can only hope that GRRM finishes the fucking ASOIAF series before he croaks... then HBO can milk HOTD and D&E and a few other prequel storylines... THEN REMAKE GOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are we STILL waiting for The Winds of Winter?

*checks calendar*

Yep. Still.  

I'm kinda so-so on HOTD. It was visually nice. I should probably watch it all again, at least before the next season.

Wasn't there rumor that they were going to do a Dunk & Egg series?

One can only hope that GRRM finishes the fucking ASOIAF series before he croaks... then HBO can milk HOTD and D&E and a few other prequel storylines... THEN REMAKE GOT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
View Quote

In the summer of 2019, GRRM said that if he hadn't finished Winds of Winter by the summer of 2020 that "people have his formal written permission to impression him in a small cabin until he has finished it."

It is now the summer of 2023 and there is no indication that WoW is even anywhere close to being finished.

Speaking purely from a "what would be best for ASOIAF being as good as possible and being finished as soon as possible" perspective: it could be argued that GRRM croaking ASAP would be best if the series was then handed off to someone who A) knew what they were doing and B) actually gave a shit about finishing it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#23]
As we have talked about here before, HBO has a history of starting strong with a series and ending with a whimper. With the exception of The Wire, shows like Rome, Deadwood, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Six Feet Under didn't exactly have satisfying endings.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As we have talked about here before, HBO has a history of starting strong with a series and ending with a whimper. With the exception of The Wire, shows like Rome, Deadwood, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, and Six Feet Under didn't exactly have satisfying endings.
View Quote

Those were HBO's fault.  GoT wasn't though.  However, there's definitely a hint of karma.

The showrunners of Rome and Deadwood desperately wanted to keep their shows going.  HBO told the showrunners to go fuck themselves.

HBO desperately wanted to keep Game of Thrones going.  The showrunners told HBO to go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The showrunners of Rome and Deadwood desperately wanted to keep their shows going.  HBO told the showrunners to go fuck themselves.
View Quote

The funny thing is some of Rome's showrunners feel GoT stole their show.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew James Purefoy (who played Mark Antony in Rome and was my dream casting for BOOK Euron Greyjoy) said that.  I didn’t know the showrunners said that too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I knew James Purefoy (who played Mark Antony in Rome and was my dream casting for BOOK Euron Greyjoy) said that.  I didn’t know the showrunners said that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought he should have been in more movies and been a bigger star.  I like him in everything he's in.  I even thought in his younger days he could have played James Bond.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had read somewhere that Kevin McKidd said he refused to watch GoT because it should have been eight seasons of Rome.

I also read one of the directors/producers/writers/whoever making the same complaint.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#29]
"Every season since season four I'd have these arguments and fights with David and Dan where I'd try to explain to them how something they wrote didn't make since and they'd say 'yeah, we hear you, we respect you, but we don't care.'"

- Nicolah Caster Waldo (Jaime Fookin' Lannister)

The Downfall of Game of Thrones 4 Years Later | How Benioff & Weiss Ruined GOT and Their Reputations
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - Brotherly Love - Lannister was recently in a movie:  God Is a Bullet

Good luck finding it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
By the Way:

I got the Soundtrack from House of the Dragon, Season 1 in.
It's telling that for the First Seven season of GoT, the soundtracks only had One CD.
Season 8 had Two CD's.
HoD, Season 1 also has Two Cd's.
It will be interesting to see if The Maestro can come up with another The Children

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - Brotherly Love - Lannister was recently in a movie:  God Is a Bullet

Good luck finding it.
View Quote

That has a very first season of True Detective vibe to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck finding it.
View Quote

My advice is do not bother to look for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck finding it.

I haven't seen it, but the reviews from both "critics" and audiences are pretty bad.

Also, the premise sounds kind of like a ripoff of Drive Angry (2011).
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I haven't seen it, but the reviews from both "critics" and audiences are pretty bad.

Also, the premise sounds kind of like a ripoff of Drive Angry (2011).
View Quote

I found out there are two versions. There is an edited one that is 2 hours long and the full version that is 2:35 hours long. I originally watched the edited one. I am watching the full version now and there is more detail there. I am not saying it makes the movie a masterpiece but the extra material seems to be filling some of the plot gaps.

ETA - if you are going to watch it then you need to make sure you are watching the full version. It is better. Not saying it is great, but at least there is a story line you can follow. I think they blew the whole budget hiring the Kingslayer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#37]
'Cause why not

House of the Dragon - Season 1 - Soundtrack from the HBO® Series - Ramin Djawadi
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I saw Maisie Williams starred in some low budget movie called The Owners that has a 4.9/10 IMDB rating and I got to thinking: since GoT ended has any of the people under 40 that played major characters up to S8 done anything good?

The only thing I can think of is Alfie Allen in Jojo Rabbit and he might have had 5 lines the whole movie that weren't "heil Hitler."

Nathalie Emmanuel was in a Fast and Furious movie though I'm not sure how much credit she gets for that one.  It made money, but it also has a 5.2/10 IMDB rating and she definitely wasn't the female lead.
View Quote

Emilia Clarke keeps the streak going.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Maisie Williams - Arya Stark; AKA: Nobody

Pistol
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | Main Title (Game of Thrones) - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#42]

House of the Dragon: ALL Season 2 Exterior Filming Ends Next Week

House of the Dragon: ALL Season 2 Exterior Filming Ends Next Week

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | The Heirs of the Dragon - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
She's a high level rogue. Clearly she has a massive saving throw.  
View All Quotes

Rolls a Natural 20 or makes her Saving Throw every time.

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | Reign of the Targaryens - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#46]

House of the Dragon: Night King Won't Be in Season 2 Because Benioff & Weiss MADE HIM UP
House of the Dragon: Night King Won't Be in Season 2 Because Benioff & Weiss MADE HIM UP

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | Rhaenyra’s Welcome - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#47]
How White Walkers in House of the Dragon Could Avoid Being Just Fanservice: EXPLAIN THEIR RETURN

How White Walkers in House of the Dragon Could Avoid Being Just Fanservice: EXPLAIN THEIR RETURN

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | A Pack of Hounds - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Any idea when season 2 is coming out?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#49]

House of the Dragon: Cregan Stark Cast - Tom Taylor Confirmed!

House of the Dragon: Cregan Stark Cast - Tom Taylor Confirmed!

House of the Dragon Soundtrack | The Tournament - Ramin Djawadi | WaterTower
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#50]
House of the Dragon | New Season 2 Preview | Game of Thrones Prequel Series | HBO Max (2024)
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top