Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'm currently on book 5 and i cant watch the show because of how weird/bad i see it as. TV/movie adaptations almost always suck compared to the original

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um, that's what makes it a thoroughly entertaining show.

And even more entertaining books. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
i'm currently on book 5 and i cant watch the show because of how weird/bad i see it as. TV/movie adaptations almost always suck compared to the original

I watched the first couple episodes.  I just started book 4.  I can't believe the actor they got for Jaime (looks gay, not bad-ass), sansa (too ugly), arry(wasn't supposed to be pretty, but should be equally as pretty as sansa should be).

most of the rest of the characters check out ok, but like all other movies.  They miss so much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way all this media pundit hysteria can be explained is that they have to write about SOMETHING to fill their pages.  GOT doesn't break any new ground as far as I can tell.  My God, have they forgotten the national obsession with The Sopranos?  Have they already forgotten about Breaking Bad?  Have they already forgotten about The Walking Dead, which isn't even over yet?  Those shows had zombies, rape, canibalism, infidelity, betrayal, child murder, etc.

Frankly, GOT is weak-sauce compared to Breaking Bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I watched the first couple episodes.  I just started book 4.  I can't believe the actor they got for Jaime (looks gay, not bad-ass), sansa (too ugly), arry(wasn't supposed to be pretty, but should be equally as pretty as sansa should be).
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm holding off watching video game movies until they make one about PacMan or Q*Bert.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

anyone going to see the Warcraft movie in 2016?
I'm holding off watching video game movies until they make one about PacMan or Q*Bert.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never seen it, but knowing HBO the author is probably spot-on.
View Quote

Just read the books. Then marvel at producers that can follow the book.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Curious.....what in your mind constitutes quality cinema? Is there anything that is made for TV or any movie that is made specifically for smart people like you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only watched the entire first episode because it was at a get-together of friends, it had no appeal to me whatsoever.  It's carefully manufactured trash for the dull witted masses.

Curious.....what in your mind constitutes quality cinema? Is there anything that is made for TV or any movie that is made specifically for smart people like you?

A Woody Allen comedy of course, maybe something with Barbara Streisand in it obviously.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Game of Thongs.

I've read all the books and the show is not all that far off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe a lot of these "reviewers" write negative articles about popular shows as a means to get people to read their article.  They are probably just a fan of the series themselves.

Then it raises a discussion on the article they wrote.  How many discussions take off on an article that agrees with the viewers of a popular series?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only watched the entire first episode because it was at a get-together of friends, it had no appeal to me whatsoever.  It's carefully manufactured trash for the dull witted masses.
View Quote

Really?  Based on one episode.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think most of the people here complaining about this reviewer didn't actually read the whole article.

I watched a few episodes, because everybody told me to.  To be truthful, the only thing that really caught me was the intro.  But then, I don't like the fantasy genre at all.  Adding boobs and excessive violence doesn't really change that for me.
View Quote

If you think the series has excessive violence do no read the books.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
This trash has no place on TV in a free country!!1 Censorship now!1
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to see the little Stark girl turn into a mass murderer with the Hound and then see the dragon girl riding her dragon nude while burning the seven kingdoms to the ground.  I set my DVD to record every episode on the free HBO weekend Game of Thrones marathon.  I then watched the first 3 seasons non-stop.  I'd never seen it before.
View Quote

I've heard that from quite a few folks.  TV doesn't drag me in, but GOT did.

I watched season 3 in a day and a half.  

I highly suggest watching them on Blu-Ray.  You'll have a great appreciation for the quality of the show.  They went to great lengths to polish it, even the CGI diawolfs/dragons look incredible on Blu-ray.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pissing off more liberals and getting more attention than the 40+ murders in one weekend in Chicago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be that it may, what's depicted in GOT is pretty much par for the course throughout history (War of the Roses comes to mind, any numbers of Chinese dynasties, Ottoman and Byzantine empires, no doubt repleted with beheading and castration aplenty.  More modern examples would be War of Austrian Succession, War of Spanish Succession, and Franco-Prussian War)

without the dragons, of course.

Pissing off more liberals and getting more attention than the 40+ murders in one weekend in Chicago.
Shows what I know. Never seen the program so I don't have an opinion either way. Wasn't this the show that had a likeness of George Bush's head on a pike? I remember reading that and thinking another television show pandering to the left. Guess jokes on me. Is it on Netflix? Might have to take a peek.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll raise you

What about Jamie looks "gay"?

Sansa Stark is hot

Arya Stark was described as having a horse face, so no, she is not supposed to be as pretty as her older sister. She is supposed to be a tom-boy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's trendy to dislike anything trendy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't watch TV anyway.

Last night I drilled and tap a barrel rib and then worked on a jig for drilling a hole in the back of the 10/22 (allows for breech cleaning of the bbl).
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I sit on a Throne every day...........bfd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Criticizing "Game of Thrones,” it turns out, is about as thankless a task as criticizing Ron Paul. Somebody has to do it, but be prepared to get an earful from legions of angry and fanatical supporters.

What I find particularly annoying about "Game of Thrones” fans is that they have been pampered by universal praise from highbrow critics—which in my book is a sure-fire sign that you’re on the wrong track—so they can’t imagine anyone could possibly dislike the show. If you do dislike it, they become belligerently defensive and feel free to impugn your integrity, claiming that you could not possibly have even watched the show, so you’re basically faking your review. (More on that in a moment.)

But then after a week of this sort of thing, "Game of Thrones” serves up an episode in which this happens. Let’s just say that if it were an episode of "Friends,” it would be titled, "The One Where the Guy Rapes His Sister Next to the Corpse of Their Murdered Child.”

Really, at this point "Game of Thrones” has descended into self-parody, because that is exactly the kind of scene a satirist might have invented to mock the show’s promiscuous lust for shock value.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/22/game-of-thrones-are-you-not-entertained/

View Quote

OP said nothing about the book series... Do you even read bro?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Never seen it, but knowing HBO the author is probably spot-on.
View Quote

Yes, because most of the butt hurt you read on the internet is very valid with out knowing anything.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Everybody has an opinion and every tv has a button to change the channel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#21]
It wasn't rape in the book. Jamie is a much more "likable" character in the books than on the show. How much more depends on your point of view.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll raise you

Sansa Stark is hot

Arya Stark was described as having a horse face, so no, she is not supposed to be as pretty as her older sister. She is supposed to be a tom-boy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll raise you

Sansa Stark is hot

Jaime reminds me of that dorky knight from that goofy fairy-tail movie "Enchanted" where that princess gets trapped in New York so I immediately assume he is gay.

I honestly think Sansa isn't good looking.

I like Arry's character so maybe that's why I want her to be the hot one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#23]
WTF, it's based on the books!!! All NYT Bestsellers, I believe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, truth be told, if he wasn't hooked at the first show, the rest wouldn't have helped.  Kinda like TWD!  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um, that's what makes it a thoroughly entertaining show.

Sounds like he is writing an Op-Ed piece for a website which pays him as a contributor, so he's doing his job.

If you don't like it, don't read it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Doesn't like the TV shows you like = Must be a Democrat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I happen to like the show a lot. There are several sub plots going on all the time. Not just one thing ........ Now I've been called a lot of things in my life. But I have to say that Dull Witted, was never one of them

You need to get off your high horse. You don't sound like a Happy_Camper.
You sound more like a narrow minded snob. That knows what is best for everyone. Or thinks he does. Democrat by chance?

Doesn't like the TV shows you like = Must be a Democrat

No, it was because he had to resort to condescending name calling, like a democrat.

Quoted:
I can't imagine having such an uneducated worldview. I don't watch the show, but it takes someone seriously ignorant of history to not realize mindless violence is a part of humanity.

Well said, these are the same people that think guns are not necessary for self defense; and that you can reason with murders and rapists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#29]
One of my wife's friends said the show was too confusing and "I don't remember any of those people from my History classes."  

I told my wife that "confused" was putting it mildly.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_(TV_series)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The books are a very rich fictional story that has been enjoyed by millions of people.  HBO has taken on a monumental task of bringing this very entertaining story to the screen and the popularity of the series is an indication that there are many people that enjoy the fantasy world.

If you don't like the story then that is fine.  Nobody is making you watch it. .I am sure that there are things that you do for entertainment that I or others would think would be dull witted.  Certainly if you spend your time posting trashy statements on the Internet like you did above then your wit is not exactly as shinning as you think it is.  Grow up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wreck it Ralph had both Qbert and Pac Man in it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have yet to watch the show.  I'll hold out 5 or 6 years until the first season shows up on Netflix.
View Quote

it will probably be like other HBO series and never hit netflix.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i tend to agree. when i saw that scene i was like, fuck did i really just watch a dude rape his sister next to the body of the murdered child they had together? damn thats fucked up. Then it dawned on me that the scene was right in line with the entire "lannister" theme. It was the worst possible thing that could be shown and shows them for what they are. Jamie had been getting a good bit of sympathy and was becoming "popular". i think they just mind raped that thought right out of everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Lanisters are the bad guys for fuck sake.  Bad guys do all kinds of depraved shit.

i tend to agree. when i saw that scene i was like, fuck did i really just watch a dude rape his sister next to the body of the murdered child they had together? damn thats fucked up. Then it dawned on me that the scene was right in line with the entire "lannister" theme. It was the worst possible thing that could be shown and shows them for what they are. Jamie had been getting a good bit of sympathy and was becoming "popular". i think they just mind raped that thought right out of everyone.
The last time they had sex, Jaime threw a child off a tower.  The whole point of this scene is to remind you that despite whatever lessons he learned when he lost his hand, his redemption is not total.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#35]
GFY! Best show on any channel at the moment!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Fuck the King.

Everytime you open your Cunt Mouth, I will have another chicken...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#37]
You know nothing Jon snow
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#38]
GOT is some of the best TV out there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Both the books and the movies go a little bit over the top at times in terms of shock value.  But that hardly detracts from the overall awesomeness of the books and show.  You can't expect a show to wow you 100% of the time.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Be that it may, what's depicted in GOT is pretty much par for the course throughout history (War of the Roses comes to mind, any numbers of Chinese dynasties, Ottoman and Byzantine empires, no doubt repleted with beheading and castration aplenty.  More modern examples would be War of Austrian Succession, War of Spanish Succession, and Franco-Prussian War)

without the dragons, of course.
View Quote

That's all great, but not all history is exciting or interesting when made into TV show, dragons or not.  And GOT is supposed to be a TV show, meant to entertain.  I forced myself to watch that show, and it started with great promise.  I like the actors, costumes, sets, etc.  Dialogue is very well written and actors do a great job..  But I just can't seem to relate to any characters and give a shit about any of them.  The story telling jumps around way too much from one to the other and I never developed any empathy for any of the characters.  They died and I just watched it for the carnage, nothing more.  But then I have no problem being glued to even the slowest Walking Dead episodes, when people complain that the pile of chopped zombies on some of those just wasn't high enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I called it quits after the second book.  I felt the story was rambling with no clear direction while attempting to conceal this with prolixity.

If he brings the books to a stunning climax, I may revisit them, but I have doubts it will be worthwhile as it stands.   I'd probably like the TV show well enough if I could watch it all the way through.  They tend to really cut the fat away on screenplays.   I won't start it until the series ends, though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have yet to watch the show.  I'll hold out 5 or 6 years until the first season shows up on Netflix.

Well, I stand corrected...Looks like HBO is loosening their grip on older shows

Amazon to get older HBO series

All I can say is it's about fucking time...I'll never have traditional cable tv again and that includes HBO...If they want my money they need to branch out
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I called it quits after the second book.  I felt the story was rambling with no clear direction while attempting to conceal this with prolixity.

If he brings the books to a stunning climax, I may revisit them, but I have doubts it will be worthwhile as it stands.   I'd probably like the TV show well enough if I could watch it all the way through.  They tend to really cut the fat away on screenplays.   I won't start it until the series ends, though.
View Quote

I don't know where the second book ends but I thought there was some pretty solid stuff happened in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Jaime reminds me of that dorky knight from that goofy fairy-tail movie "Enchanted" where that princess gets trapped in New York so I immediately assume he is gay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll raise you

Sansa Stark is hot

you might be surprised to learn the actor paying jaime also played gary gordon in blackhawk down

sophie turner (sansa) is gorgeous

arya isn't supposed to be hot, she's a 10 year old (12-13 for the show) tomboy that looks too much like her father to be a pretty girl, but will grow into the beautiful woman her aunt, who also looked like ned, was in time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lanisters are the bad guys for fuck sake.  Bad guys do all kinds of depraved shit.

jaime's working on a redemption arc, but he still isn't a "good" character along the way
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I believe a lot of these "reviewers" write negative articles about popular shows as a means to get people to read their article.  They are probably just a fan of the series themselves.

Then it raises a discussion on the article they wrote.  How many discussions take off on an article that agrees with the viewers of a popular series?
View Quote

Exactly.  Half of media is professional trolling these days.  Criticize something that has several million more followers than you, if even 10% respond, your pageviews go through the roof - and the people you criticize will willingly play along because there is no bad publicity.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#48]
He gon get dat ass!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#49]

This author just doesn't get it.

It was only after the Red Wedding, which brutally killed off a bunch of the show’s most sympathetic characters, that I came to my current view.
View Quote

Of course Robb had to die.  It was way too early in the series for Robb to have his happy ending.  What was he going to do, destroy the Lannisters in Book 3?  There are still four more books to go.  Also, if all the bad guys are dead, what the heck is Dany doing wandering around with dragons and an army like the Prince of Norway waiting for Act III of Hamlet?  It's like being disappointed that the Empire was still around after A New Hope.  Hey guys, they blew up the Death Star, that's it for the Empire, right guys?  Guys?  No.  There are still two more bloody movies to make.  Here's a radical thought, the antagonists will be around until the last act.  Shocking.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been listening to Francois Guizot's epic mid 1800's book A Popular History of France From The Earliest Times for free from Librivox.  I've made it to the early parts of the 100 Years War.  It's basically GOT, minus the dragons and tits but with more massacres and casual brutality.  

Louis IX's reign is considered the high point for good government in medieval France-  he was sainted and centuries later somebody named a city in Missouri after him- but he tortured people left and right if they weren't Christian, or if they weren't his kind of Christian, or if they looked like they might one day in the future blaspheme.  Anybody in France that wasn't towing exactly the party line, vigorously and with witnesses, was burned at the stake.  So many people got toasted that the Pope, who had asked for this, sent him a letter that said: damn dude, I think you got them all, you can dial it back now.  Louis responded: no thanks, just getting warmed up, ha ha ha.  When he ran out of heretics to burn at home, he went off to try to burn all of the Muslims, but died of dysentery before he could make much of a dent in them.  

That was the best king they had in that period.  Because his sadistic ultra-violence was restrained to religious persecution and not applied to everyday politics, as was the norm.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top