BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if you have codes or inspections. Any garage wall that joins to the house has to be sheetrocked with 5/8 fire rated. This applies to the ceiling, too, if their is living space above the ceiling. So you would end up having to sheetrock, at least the one wall, and then put the sheetmetal on top of that.
View Quote
Thanks, I didn't know that. There is no habitable space above the garage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
You still don't know it.  The requirement isn't for drywall per se, it's for a fire rated partition of a certain hour rating.  It does not have to be GWB (there are other systems that qualify), but if it is, then it's not just thickness. Type, joints, penetrations, etc.

I suggest USG Fire-Resistant Assemblies Catalog (English) - SA100 (PDF) for some light reading.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
This is relevant to my interests, I've just finished renovating my office, next step is the garage.  To make life more fun, for the ceiling, there is plumbing and A/C ducting hanging down below the ceiling joists, so I might need to consider some kind of suspension ceiling.  The walls aren't really insulated very well, and I know I have leakage from the house into the garage as far as cool air getting in there.  I'll have to leave access panels for the spots on the walls where there are water valves for the incoming main water line and the two exterior faucets.  Bottom portions  of the walls are cinderblock, upper portions wood frame (and not even between the two sides of the garage).  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I used OSB and paint, couldn't justify the much higher cost of anything else
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Just use dry wall it is the cheapest solution. There are a ton of guys on Craigslist that will do the job quick and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought galvanized polished pegboard off of amazon. That and the blue add on hook kit...did a huge wall. not cheap...but hell it looks good
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just use dry wall it is the cheapest solution. There are a ton of guys on Craigslist that will do the job quick and cheap.
View Quote
There is only one guy who drywalls around here, he charges a fortune. The next guy is an hour away but he's a drunk.

The guys building my house joked that if I did a good job they would hire me for all their next jobs
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
In for different ideas
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure if you have codes or inspections. Any garage wall that joins to the house has to be sheetrocked with 5/8 fire rated. This applies to the ceiling, too, if their is living space above the ceiling. So you would end up having to sheetrock, at least the one wall, and then put the sheetmetal on top of that.
I am required to drywall the entirety of my garage, including the ceiling with 5/8ths.
Even though what I am building what amounts to an addition onto my existing garage and it already has a firewall between it and the house.
Reason in my case is the attic space will be continuous between the new garage, old garage and the house.

Engineer told me I could argue it and possibly sidestep the requirement by adding a firewall in the attic between the garage and the house but we agreed it wasn't a good hill to die on with the planning department.
That and I planned on insulating and drywalling the whole thing anyway.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top