Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL at all of the people born in 1980 that are Gen X. You ain't Gen X if you were 10 in 1990.

"I identify with 1980s culture." You were 9
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread makes it obvious some of you have never suffered the shame of your parents buying you Gobots because you were too poor for Transformers.
View Quote

I saw that movie. In theaters. Because I wanted too. Because my folks thought Gobots "were just as good". Joke's on you Mom, that movie suuuuucked.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I grew up wearing Toughskins with the iron on patches over the holes in the knees, I feel your pain.
View Quote

And this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's funny. My youngest brother was born 8/1/81. He claims that he's not a millenial b/c Gen X runs thru 82; the rest of us responded, "You know who says that shit? People who don't want to be associated with millenials."
View Quote

As an early millenial, I have to ask; can you blame him?  

Personally, I look at the Corvette as an indicator of generational variance.  

In the year you were born, did the Corvette have the big swoopy front end that looked like two bananas?  Yes? Gen X.

In the year you were born, did the Corvette have a shorter front end that basically made it look like a front-engined Fiero?  Millenial.

Were you born in 1983?  You're fucked either way.  There was no Corvette.

I was born in 1983.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I saw that movie. In theaters. Because I wanted too. Because my folks thought Gobots "were just as good". Joke's on you Mom, that movie suuuuucked.
View Quote

Or regular generic toy trucks instead of a real STOMPER with removable foam and rubber wheels.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen-X, class of 1969
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bitchplease.  I can type circles around some GenZ thumbing twat.  

My typing classes in school where split between typewriters and computers.
View Quote

Patrice O Neal -Typing Class & Football
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PBtEPiPlrQ

I sucked at typing until I went into the business world.  Microsoft Natural keyboard all day.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I sucked at typing until I went into the business world.  Microsoft Natural keyboard all day.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna learn the MS natural keyboard the fast way? Be a late teens/early 20s kid on IRC, drunk, and the only keyboard you have is the MS Natural. Oh, and be in a channel with actual girls, before the internet became male-only.

You learn to type real well real fast
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wanna learn the MS natural keyboard the fast way? Be a late teens/early 20s kid on IRC, drunk, and the only keyboard you have is the MS Natural. Oh, and be in a channel with actual girls, before the internet became male-only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, one-handed typing on a MS Natural keyboard is Tier-1.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed, one-handed typing on a MS Natural keyboard is Tier-1.
View Quote
That's truth right there!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I grew up wearing Toughskins with the iron on patches over the holes in the knees, I feel your pain.
View Quote
Did you get to move up to Roughhousers when you got older? I was psyched when I didn't have to wear Toughskins anymore, but then realized that Roughhousers were the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Harder to get out of than a time share.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Between my dad getting transferred every three years and fake names I got a million different accounts and only paid like 20 cents for hundreds of cassettes, CDs, and movies.

I like to think that I personally bankrupted BMG and Columbia House.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a serious note, I posted this on my page a while back after a discussion on here regarding Gen X.  This is my take on it:

I had a discussion recently regarding "Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials. The discussion seemed to hinge on how Gen X is somewhat of an enigma in ideological, societal, and political terms. Being Gen X, I will explain it to everyone.

Gen X is the forgotten generation. We are a small group population-wise. We were raised by the boomers and largely sold the "American dream."

You were expected to go to college if you wanted to have any life (trades were looked down on.) Our media fed us a steady diet of middle-class comfort and high-class glitz.

We went to college-- or in many cases-- off to trades against the wishes of guidance counselors. We started clawing our way into the job market-- FULLY expecting to do better than our fathers. After all, the American Dream we were sold was that the child is a progression to a higher rung than the previous generation.

We did well for a while. The economy of the late 90s was good. What we didn't realize is that we were in a boom cycle largely built on speculation.

It didn't last. We found ourselves saddled with student loan debt and a lot of hard work to do. We realized that a lot of what was sold to us was simply not the case.

We could have gone down the road of feeling we were owed something. But we didn't. We were instilled from birth with the work-ethic of our fathers. We just felt that we kinda got screwed with how things turned out.

Then, as a whole, we put our noses to the grindstone and started trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

But what you got also was a generation that really doesn't want to hear any more advice from anyone. They just want to be left the hell alone.

We abandoned the power ballads of the heavy metal bands and settled into our Nirvana-esque nihilism. We understand that it ain't going to be like we envisioned it to be. We are going to have to scrape and claw our way to anything we get. No one is going to have some magic secret that solves all the problems that we have or society has. We don't respect pipe dreams.

Because of all of that, we are critical of and have disdain for anyone selling anything- whether that be an idea, a service, a product, or themselves. Naturally, politicians and the political process are completely distrusted.

We just want to be left alone. In that vein, we leave everyone else alone. And we get PISSED when someone can't respect the deal we are offering.

Now, we are in our mid-to-late 40s. We are finally starting to see some rewards for decades of blood, sweat, and tears. Many of us (except me, I have an 8 year old) are seeing our children going out into the world, taking that financial burden off of us. It is time to start breathing easier for once.

But no... now we are seeing an entire crop of politicians violating the "deal" we tried to establish: Leave me the hell alone and we will leave you the hell alone.

We see an entire generation of young people that now believes that we OWE them things that we worked to get on our own.

We are nihilists. All of us are in some way. We made peace with that reality. And how dare anyone demand things that we realized wasn't for us-- but expect us to pay for it for them when we have only begun to be able to do ANYTHING for ourselves.

We are seeing "Leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" violated with impunity.

The problem is that we are a small generation. We do not have the political power to fight it or stop it. Again, we have a reason for our nihilism.

I often wonder if the "boog" movement is more of a gen X thing than it is younger generations. We know we can't fight you at the ballot box. We know our voices will NEVER be heard. We know that "leave me the hell alone, and I will leave you the hell alone" is being violated. And we have little recourse-- except that we aren't going to keep playing this game.

We are the "walk away" generation. "Just leave us the hell alone. You can do all the shit you want, just leave me out of it, or I am out of here."

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif

Damn straight!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bare concrete under the monkey bars at school.
Mothers and lengths of Ho Wheels track were a lethal combination.
Action movies.
Jungle bush giving way to landing strips.
BMX bikes.
So long as I was home before the street lights came on no one cared wheat I had done all day.
Arcades.
Hanging out at the mall.
Hair metal and grunge.

Good times.
View Quote

Indeed. Back when you could roam and not have a care in the world.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this.
I had tough skins with patches in HUSKY SIZE!  Yeah, I was the fat athletic kid.

FUCK THAT SHIT!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LOL at all of the people born in 1980 that are Gen X. You ain't Gen X if you were 10 in 1990.

View Quote

I YOLO’d the fuck out of the 80s, bro!

Mostly pushing my little 50 back home so I could get more gas. If that bastard had an odometer it would have been impressive to see...

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mostly pushing my little 50 back home so I could get more gas. If that bastard had an odometer it would have been impressive to see...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30587/42EED900-C096-4475-94FA-86BB934EAD6C-1359093.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30587/42EED900-C096-4475-94FA-86BB934EAD6C-1359093.jpg

Kids these days and their 4 wheels.    
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude isn't this like the second Gen-X nostalgia thread you've started, and you're a Millennial?

This is getting weird.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#22]

I Signed up for that when I was a kid without informing my parents.

They were livid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATCs were a holdover from the Baby Boomers. Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Gen X here, born '77.

My wife (born '82) tries to claim gen x, but I won't let her and it irritates the bajeezus out of her lol.  It gets better when she's vigorously defending her position and at the end I simply say "your comments are proof you’re a millenial - true gen x just doesn't GAF."  Then I go outside to quietly play with my toys.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Vintage 1966 here. As others have said, I just want to be left the fuck alone! Don't bother me, don't tell me what to do or how to do it unless I ask! I learned I had to work for what I wanted, got my ass whipped when I really screwed up, learned respect for my elders and I learned how to drink and cuss like a sailor from my Grandma!
The late 70's and the 80's were party time and the mid 80s in Germany was a blast!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I YOLO'd the fuck out of the 80s, bro!

View Quote
Hell yeah! Had a Suzuki 50 that we built up out of parts....painted it neon pink. Ran the hell out of that thing. Later on, a buddy got hold of a parts bike...once we finished putting it together it turned out to be a 70's CB900...no shirt, flip-flops and rugby shorts charging down a fire road as fast as we could. It's a miracle I survived it...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]

We were so poor, I took a generic pair of Oakley clones and stenciled OEATME on the sides.

Was good for a laugh for the people that noticed, everybody else said 'cool Oakleys', derp
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]

BULLSHIT. Gen Xers know that those tubs don't fill that high!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Must say I really dig all this retro synth stuff that's out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ruvzfXQoE
View Quote

Me too, reminds me of my childhood running around the woods at all hours of the day with toy guns.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hell yeah! Had a Suzuki 50 that we built up out of parts....painted it neon pink. Ran the hell out of that thing. Later on, a buddy got hold of a parts bike...once we finished putting it together it turned out to be a 70's CB900...no shirt, flip-flops and rugby shorts charging down a fire road as fast as we could. It's a miracle I survived it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I YOLO'd the fuck out of the 80s, bro!

they were bulletproof

when i outgrew mine we gave it to a friend, whose son ran it until he outgrew it and they gave it to a friend...

my son was born in '03 and i found him one in yellow, ran like a champ.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Me too, reminds me of my childhood running around the woods at all hours of the day with toy guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long as I’ve got my pictures out, I’m pretty sure this is my kick ass awesome disk shooting pistol

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

they were bulletproof

when i outgrew mine we gave it to a friend, whose son ran it until he outgrew it and they gave it to a friend...

my son was born in '03 and i found him one in yellow, ran like a champ.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30587/50-1359577.jpg

View Quote
Talk about raising the boy right! Yup, can't kill them!

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol, you know what's funny about the Breakfast Club meme?  Half of those actors - Estevez, Nelson, and Sheedy - are Boomers.

Gen Xers can't even meme correctly.  
View Quote

The movie came out in the mid 80's and the actors were portraying high school students at the current time.  So the movie is about GenX, even if the actors were late boomers portraying them.

Besides, Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall were actually GenX.  Anthony Michael Hall especially was in lots of the John Hughs movies of the time and Weird Science is squarely GenX.  Even has a boomer older brother played by Bill Paxton.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some time after that....I believe you're referring to 9/11/01.
View Quote

No, it was before then.  The 2000 election exposed it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Long as I’ve got my pictures out, I’m pretty sure this is my kick ass awesome disk shooting pistol

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30587/118121C8-D40B-46FB-A78A-180EEEB024F3-1359612.jpg
View Quote

I wish I still had all my old toy disk and cap guns.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a meme but all my gen X friends can't type for shit.

Gen X = boomers

https://media1.tenor.com/images/63a4afee7d28caa61c821bddaa1e6fa3/tenor.gif
View Quote

To be fair, we Gen-Xers had no reason to learn to type. The internet hadn’t yet rounded the corner when typing classes were a thing. I remember my school counselor talking to me in the hall to suggest typing classes for an elective.

I threw him an “Are you fucking high?” look and said, “No... I don’t plan on being a secretary” as I walked away.

Whoops.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's surreal seeing you without a Bud Light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long as I've got my pictures out, I'm pretty sure this is my kick ass awesome disk shooting pistol

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30587/118121C8-D40B-46FB-A78A-180EEEB024F3-1359612.jpg
It's surreal seeing you without a Bud Light.

it's probably just in my big wheel's cupholder
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Gen X'er checking in...

Ass whippin' with Hot Wheel tracks
Drank from the hose
Played outside until the street lights came on
No bike helmets
No seat belts
Realistic toy guns
Steel playground equipment over concrete
Eating whatever was put in front of you (or starving)

Great time to be a kid.  
View Quote

Preach it, brother!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Gen X = boomers

View Quote

I can type fairly well but I took a class as a Sophomore elective.  Only elective my mom told me she would like me to take, and got to say it has served me well over the years.  Can even type pretty good while talking to someone and not looking at what I am typing either.

Ticks my wife off.  

1970 checking in.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can type fairly well but I took a class as a Sophomore elective.  Only elective my mom told me she would like me to take, and got to say it has served me well over the years.  Can even type pretty good while talking to someone and not looking at what I am typing either.

Ticks my wife off.  

1970 checking in.  
View Quote
I taught myself to type. 80 WPM with 80% accuracy.
ICQ and AIM chat rooms really honed my skillz.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To be fair, we Gen-Xers had no reason to learn to type. The internet hadn't yet rounded the corner when typing classes were a thing. I remember my school counselor talking to me in the hall to suggest typing classes for an elective.

I threw him an "Are you fucking high?" look and said, "No... I don't plan on being a secretary" as I walked away.

Whoops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen X = boomers

To be fair, we Gen-Xers had no reason to learn to type. The internet hadn't yet rounded the corner when typing classes were a thing. I remember my school counselor talking to me in the hall to suggest typing classes for an elective.

I threw him an "Are you fucking high?" look and said, "No... I don't plan on being a secretary" as I walked away.

Whoops.
Oh I get it. All of my party buddies did the same thing.

My class was one of the first at our school to be taught in 7th grade.

We mostly just played a lot of Prince of Persia.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ticks my wife off.  

1970 checking in.  

I got good when I started working as a network engineer and spending all day typing on a terminal.  I developed carpal tunnel and discovered the MS Natural keyboard, but it really showed how bad my touch typing was.

The bigger problem was I had to type accurately as being off a letter of number could be really bad.  Though, to this day, I still "no shit" interfaces all the time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread makes it obvious some of you have never suffered the shame of your parents buying you Gobots because you were too poor for Transformers.

Yup hand me down clothes and thrift store toys.  I wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Growing up in the 70s when the best rock was made and now still played.  Stupid oil embargo and shortages made up my mind that Walter was wrong it's not the way he said it was.  Growing up with doubt of the blatant lies of the big three media.  I  could see and experience what was told and what was happening around me.  The wonder years tried to blur the reality of double digit interest rates and how life really was.  1976 my boy scout troop went to DC toured for a week.  That was a blast and we had a great time walked into the white house given a tour while Ford was president.  Graduated in 81 and both my drill instructors were Vietnam veterans.  Rode in the back of my granddad's pickup with my cousins.  No stupid political correctness people had freedom of speech and if you were offended you didn't say anything or you'd never hear the end of it and teased all the more.  Boomer whatever don't matter I got to wear leisure suits and stacks growing up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some of us still revere ye olde buckling spring keyboards (such as the hallowed IBM Model M, blessed be it's name).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen X = boomers

That's because we learned to type on the old manual typewriters and rested our fingers on the keys. Doesn't work very well with the super sensitive keyboards today.
Some of us still revere ye olde buckling spring keyboards (such as the hallowed IBM Model M, blessed be it's name).

I learned to type on a IBM Selectric.  It was the best keyboard ever, by a wide margin.  The IBM keyboards that imitated it did a so so job but were better than every other keyboard. Left HS in 1984.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put holes in other places but never the knees of those.  I am impressed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:01:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More info is needed before determining.

1. Did you watch MTV? Yes
2. Did you stop wearing bell bottoms in the late '70s, or continue wearing them well into the '80s? Yes I stopped by the 80's
3. Did you vote for Carter or Reagan? Why does that matter?

For #3, if you voted in that election, you are a boomer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

@texrdnec I literally had that EXACT same brown jacket, stripes and all lol. Also has a little bro with blond hair. That pic! Classic!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top