Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/1/2023 3:40:17 PM EDT
There'll still be plenty of dim bulbs in the White House.

Biden admin moving forward with light bulb bans in coming weeks

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-moving-forward-light-bulb-bans-coming-weeks

The Biden administration is preparing to implement a sweeping nationwide ban on commonly used light bulbs as part of its energy efficiency and climate agenda.

The regulations, which prohibit retailers from selling incandescent light bulbs, were finalized by the Department of Energy (DOE) in April 2022 and are slated to go into effect on Aug. 1, 2023. The DOE will begin full enforcement of the ban on that date, but it has already urged retailers to begin transitioning away from the light bulb type and, in recent months, begun issuing warning notices to companies.

Under the rules, incandescent and similar halogen light bulbs will be prohibited in favor of light-emitting diode, or LED, alternatives. While U.S. households have increasingly switched to LED light bulbs since 2015, fewer than half of households reported using mostly or exclusively LEDs, according to the most recent results from the Residential Energy Consumption Survey.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
LED's are better anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

yep...halogens are horseshit
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Leds SUCK for garage door openers because of the interference they cause.

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I’ll stick with the incandescent bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Halogen and Incandescent lighting sucks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
is this limited to e26, or will this effect mogul base bulbs as well?

LEDs blow for outdoor applications in the cold.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol, Obama already did it 10 years ago. Everyone in GD went mental hoarding light bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

...when the internal circuitry doesn't get fried from power surges.  I have tried a multitude of brands since moving here.  Few last more than six months.  Even fewer last more than a year.  The third-worlding of America means advanced - but fragile - technologies aren't always better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...when the internal circuitry doesn't get fried from power surges.  I have tried a multitude of brands since moving here.  Few last more than six months.  Even fewer last more than a year.  The third-worlding of America means advanced - but fragile - technologies aren't always better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

Incandescents last less than 6 months at my house. I have yet to replace an led in several years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  LEDs are constantly failing at my house.  Rural electricity isn’t always consistent.

I was without electricity three days in March, one day early in the month and two days last week.  That’s a pretty typical month.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Some cities found out the hard way replacing incandescent traffic signal lights with LED traffic signal lights was a bad idea.  Whenever it snowed the incandescent lights melted off any snow on the traffic signal, however, LEDs have to be manually cleaned.  LOL.

There will be more unintended and unforeseen consequences.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, Obama already did it 10 years ago. Everyone in GD went mental hoarding light bulbs.
View Quote

Yep
I remember Rush leading the way.
My, no longer used, hope chest is full of 100 wattys.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
They're pretty environmentally friendly for where I live, out in the country. I've thrown away 2 incandescents in the last year, probably 12 LEDs. I guess the landfill does not count in that green score.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

I remember when everyone was freaking out trying to buy decades worth of incandescent bulbs. LOL

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like your electrical system is the issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Incandescents last less than 6 months at my house. I have yet to replace an led in several years.
View Quote

I was an early adopter and enthusiastic about them.  The first few LEDs I bought were terrible and lasted only a few months.  Last week another died after five years of being left on continuously.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My question is how can they ban a private company from selling an item that is not dangerous?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I’ll stick with the incandescent bulbs.
View Quote

Philips and GE brands are dead RF silent.

Its what I use, and as a ham with sensitive radios, they are the best brand. Cheap or store brand LEDs are garbage.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
is this limited to e26, or will this effect mogul base bulbs as well?

LEDs blow for outdoor applications in the cold.
View Quote

False. My LED exterior floods and spots work just fine in -30 temps. Buy Philips exterior bulbs. Yes they are $20 - $30 a piece. But they have been on every night for 5 years, without incident.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like your electrical system is the issue.
View Quote

Absolutely.  The rural grid in the US sucks.  Which means LEDs don’t work well, failing more often than incandescents.  However, the rural grid isn’t going to be improved any time soon.  Hell, the local phone company has, for all intents and purposes, abandoned their copper network.  I can’t even get a working landline if I wanted it.

The government shouldn’t be involved.  Those that prefer LEDs should use them.  For those of us that use incandescents because they work better for our purposes, we should be able to continue to use them.  The market should sort it out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Incandescent shouldn’t be banned, but I doubt I will ever buy another one.  LEDs are far superior.

The only reason I can think to have a regular incandescent is if you actually want the heat they produce.  A screw-in heating element would be better, since they should be adjustable and will be much less prone to failure.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Old LEDs sucked. Died, took time to warm up, even worse for exterior cold
CFLs sucked.
Halogens are meh.

New LEDs are awesome.

The only place I replace a burned out bulb with an incandescent is the master bathroom
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#22]
We need to ban Washington DC.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Shouldnt it be up the to the consumer considering we live in a "free" country?

Bunch of fucking statists.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought 6 incandenscent 100 watt bulbs from Home Depot (online) for about $6.00 each.  The boy at Home depot told me they'd had a run on them and were "permanently out of stock", and to order online if needed.  He told me the same thing...get them while you can.  I use them for light and heat in my chicken coops.   You'd be surprised how much heat a 100 watt bulb will give off in a chicken coop that is only about 4 feet square.

Before anyone says "just get a heat lamp", I've tried that.  The incandescent light bulb works better.  Halogens are too hot. LED's don't give off any heat.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

Ya'll don't live in Mn sometimes you want/need the heat they give off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

This begs the question...

What happens to all of IR ag bulbs/heat lamps?

I have never needed heat from any other kind of bulb before.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought incandescents were out of production since the Bush years?  I have a handful stashed away, I use them for something other than lighting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are the statisticians when you need em?
What % are made in chicom vs US
Does chicom even make incandescent bulbs
Do leds installed in fed bldgs contain Spyware
Does FJB get 10% for killing American industry
So many questions, so little time.....
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't see a huge issue here unless the bulb doesn't have a direct replacement for size.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

Right? There are certain applications LEDs don't work in.
I love LEDs but...In winter incandescent will melt snow on trailer lights and vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer LEDs. I have them in just about every light fixture in my house. The only ones they're not in are the ones where the incandescents haven't stopped working, yet. But when they do, they'll be replaced by LEDs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I'll stick with the incandescent bulbs.
View Quote
They really shouldn't be causing that much interference unless they're on a dimmer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some cities found out the hard way replacing incandescent traffic signal lights with LED traffic signal lights was a bad idea.  Whenever it snowed the incandescent lights melted off any snow on the traffic signal, however, LEDs have to be manually cleaned.  LOL.

View Quote
That seems like not a me problem.  If that's actually a thing, put a tiny resistance heater in them or something that does the same thing. I couldn't care less.  My house is filled with LEDs, they are much better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I am looking for an investor for my start-up company which will be selling Easy-Bake oven repair kits.

PM me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That seems like not a me problem.  If that's actually a thing, put a tiny resistance heater in them or something that does the same thing. I couldn't care less.  My house is filled with LEDs, they are much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's never a me problem until it is. You don't get much snow/cold in IN.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

LEDs in my garage opener for years now. Never had any problem.

How do they cause interference with yours?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#39]
We have a whole house surge protector. Rarely ever change a bulb unless it is an old fluorescent one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Biden and all his retard minons are idiots.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's never a me problem until it is. You don't get much snow/cold in IN.
View Quote
 I wish someone would tell northern Indiana that we are not supposed to get much snow or cold.

Again, if it's actually a problem, put a tiny resistance heater in them. It will work in the exact same way, except make it so that the heater only turns on below temperature X.  Still a cost savings and problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been living in this house for almost 7 years and the LED bulbs I installed when I moved in are just now starting to go out.

Also I use LED bulbs outside and they work fine

Oh and LED bulbs in my garage door opener and it works fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Is that like those banned two stroke motors that "I can't buy?"
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have a whole house surge protector. Rarely ever change a bulb unless it is an old fluorescent one.
View Quote

+1. I have seen them in use before at govt sights and I have a Eaton installed at my house.   Worth the money for a rural home.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LEDs in my garage opener for years now. Never had any problem.

How do they cause interference with yours?
View Quote

Mother fuckers literally will not let the remote opener work if the lights are on. Also screws up FM radio stations that are more than 20 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#46]
They want us in mud huts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't see a huge issue here unless the bulb doesn't have a direct replacement for size.
View Quote

The issue is the government banning something that poses no threat to anyone

As another poster said let the market dictate what people want to buy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Exactly. I won’t miss them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
 I wish someone would tell northern Indiana that we are not supposed to get much snow or cold.

Again, if it's actually a problem, put a tiny resistance heater in them. It will work in the exact same way, except make it so that the heater only turns on below temperature X.  Still a cost savings and problem solved.

View Quote

Somehow I knew you would be from northern IN.
Resistance heater is a good idea although maybe a pita??
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank God led's saved us from cfl's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top