Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

False. My LED exterior floods and spots work just fine in -30 temps. Buy Philips exterior bulbs. Yes they are $20 - $30 a piece. But they have been on every night for 5 years, without incident.
View Quote
It is an interesting question and I don't actually know if temp impacts the life span of an LED, so I googled it and found this.

https://vllightingsolutions.com/how-temperature-affects-led-efficiency/

It says that it's the opposite of the claim, hot bad/cold good:

"Conclusion

Heat plays a major role in the useful life of an LED. Although they don't produce close to as much heat as other light bulb types, the temperature does play an important role in the lifespan of an LED. LEDs begin to dim up to 30% over time, and the hotter the environment, the quicker this effect will take place. Colder temperatures will slow this process down because it will help to keep the junction temperature lower. With a lower junction temperature comes slower lumen depreciation.
"

It also says it is impacted by the amount of heat sink that the diode has to get rid of heat.  So I wonder if the claims of fast failing bulbs could be attributed to cheaper/less heat sink material to wick it away.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
FJB
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Will this apply to halogen bulbs used in beacons as well? LED beacons suck ass. That's one spot where halogen bulbs make sense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Mother fuckers literally will not let the remote opener work if the lights are on. Also screws up FM radio stations that are more than 20 miles away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEDs in my garage opener for years now. Never had any problem.

How do they cause interference with yours?

Mother fuckers literally will not let the remote opener work if the lights are on. Also screws up FM radio stations that are more than 20 miles away.

That sucks. I had Cree bulbs that never caused a problem but one burned out after 4 or 5 years. Now there are "Earth bulbs" I got for free by trading in some incandescent bulbs. I think they're made by TCP. No issues. All are 5000k. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My question is how can they ban a private company from selling an item that is not dangerous?
View Quote

The founding fathers would be proud of where the society they found has progressed
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thought they were already banned years ago tbh.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Somehow I knew you would be from northern IN.
Resistance heater is a good idea although maybe a pita??
View Quote
I find happenstance problems like this interesting so I was just reading about the problem.  A solution that someone has proposed is to flip the LED the wrong way around.  They claim it's a device that reverses the direction of the LED in the stop light, to point the existing LED heat sink toward the lens of the stoplight.  It claims this is enough to melt the snow off the lens.  Then it uses fiber optics to redirect the light back at the lens.  Says it can be installed in existing stop lights but I am sure like anything, at a cost.

No idea if it works, but neat idea.

https://www.whiteboard2boardroom.com/ideas/idea-list/self-de-icing-led-traffic-signal-lighting-system
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

So lets ban everything else
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

False. My LED exterior floods and spots work just fine in -30 temps. Buy Philips exterior bulbs. Yes they are $20 - $30 a piece. But they have been on every night for 5 years, without incident.
View Quote

I've had substantially worse luck with them.
I've never had a screw base LED last more than a year.

The diode itself doesn't fail, but the accompanying circuitry does.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leds SUCK for garage door openers because of the interference they cause.

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I’ll stick with the incandescent bulbs.

Cheap and badly shielded transformers inside the bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cheap and badly shielded transformers inside the bulbs.
View Quote

yeah learned my lesson it won't happen again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Every interior light in my house has a Phillips LED in it. I have no clue what bulbs are in my exterior lights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I’ll stick with the incandescent bulbs.
View Quote

Wrap them in aluminum foil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prefer LEDs. I have them in just about every light fixture in my house. The only ones they're not in are the ones where the incandescents haven't stopped working, yet. But when they do, they'll be replaced by LEDs.
View Quote

Yep, we kept having B30 floods in the kitchen blow out. Replaced them with LEDs and haven't had one fo out in 6+ months. As the incandescents die LEDs go in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
My zero moving piece ,100 watt, small enclosure heater with extra bright visual on/off indicator…
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Yup.

Can you still buy incandescent bulbs?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Why would I want that garbage?

As.long as you don't have dirty / spiky electric supply, LEDs are far superior for lighting
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do democrats hate free markets?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Not for certain kinds of outdoor lights, especially where it gets cold or there’s extra moisture.

Generally,yes, though
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck Joe Biden
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol, Obama already did it 10 years ago. Everyone in GD went mental hoarding light bulbs.
View Quote

Does anyone wanna buy 600 bulbs of differing sizes and shapes? Actually, I'll pay you to take them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think some opener companies are making special leds but I'll stick with the incandescent bulbs.
View Quote
My garage door opener works fine with plain old led bulbs.  Maybe the opener brand dependent, bulb brand dependent, or the age of the unit harking back to paper and fabric-insulated wires?  I have a 6 or 7-year-old Chamberlin belt drive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Not for EZ Bake Ovens, barely warms the cake batter mix.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lol, Obama already did it 10 years ago. Everyone in GD went mental hoarding light bulbs.
View Quote

Trump reversed Obama’s ban preferring to let market forces take their course instead of the Fascist approach the Democrats push.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shouldnt it be up the to the consumer considering we live in a "free" country?

Bunch of fucking statists.
View Quote
Yeah.  Buy what works for you.  For those that buy those abortion compact fluorescents by choice - .gov ought to provide you with mental health counseling.  Go ahead and buy them and I hope you can be cured.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My question is how can they ban a private company from selling an item that is not dangerous?
View Quote
The same way they banned toilets that actually flush turds down, gas cans that actually work without spilling, etc

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

Unless you need heat.  Fuck Joe.
I had to go to 5 places and eventually a lighting store to get incandescents for my brooders.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
LED bulbs don't last a year in my house, and we have a power plant four miles away as the crow flies.

Cheap Chinese bullshit.

Just ten more percent for the big guy
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just bought 6 incandenscent 100 watt bulbs from Home Depot (online) for about $6.00 each.  The boy at Home depot told me they'd had a run on them and were "permanently out of stock", and to order online if needed.  He told me the same thing...get them while you can.  I use them for light and heat in my chicken coops.   You'd be surprised how much heat a 100 watt bulb will give off in a chicken coop that is only about 4 feet square.

Before anyone says "just get a heat lamp", I've tried that.  The incandescent light bulb works better.  Halogens are too hot. LED's don't give off any heat.
View Quote

Heat lamps are way too hot and  cycle constantly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do democrats hate free markets?
View Quote
It's how they operate.
Anything they want or think is good must be MANDATORY
Anything they don't want or don't like must be BANNED
Fucking scums
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unless you need heat.  Fuck Joe.
I had to go to 5 places and eventually a lighting store to get incandescents for my brooders.
View Quote
Yeah, Feeble Joe never thought of that, did he?

I use all LEDs everywhere, but the idea of the Dims banning incandescents is irritating.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  The rural grid in the US sucks.  Which means LEDs don’t work well, failing more often than incandescents.  However, the rural grid isn’t going to be improved any time soon.  Hell, the local phone company has, for all intents and purposes, abandoned their copper network.  I can’t even get a working landline if I wanted it.

The government shouldn’t be involved.  Those that prefer LEDs should use them.  For those of us that use incandescents because they work better for our purposes, we should be able to continue to use them.  The market should sort it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like your electrical system is the issue.

Absolutely.  The rural grid in the US sucks.  Which means LEDs don’t work well, failing more often than incandescents.  However, the rural grid isn’t going to be improved any time soon.  Hell, the local phone company has, for all intents and purposes, abandoned their copper network.  I can’t even get a working landline if I wanted it.

The government shouldn’t be involved.  Those that prefer LEDs should use them.  For those of us that use incandescents because they work better for our purposes, we should be able to continue to use them.  The market should sort it out.

Yes the market should sort it out.

The feeling of incandescent lamps is hard to match with any other.

LED lighting has many positives but their application by idiots have caused lots of light pollution. I have70-80 recessed cans in this house that we remodeled 10 years ago and I run 65 watt lamps
I have waited for LED to get cheaper and better.  Soon I will change over but in the last ten years I have only changed 3-5 lamps.  I have about 150 in the garage in reserve.  Finally put some leds in the shop. I keep replacing the 150 watt sodium in the back yard . Fuck I finally got used to that piss yellow light and I don’t want a bright white.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They're pretty environmentally friendly for where I live, out in the country. I've thrown away 2 incandescents in the last year, probably 12 LEDs. I guess the landfill does not count in that green score.
View Quote

This.
Not all LEDs are equal.
Most of the LED bulbs homeowners buy only have a  year or two life span.
I did maintenance on an appartment complex and burned through ACE branded bulbs pretty quickly.

Then you add on the extra materials and manufacturing involved in LED production and ill bet an honest look would not prove out any real carbon savings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

Yup.

I think there are still a view varieties floating around but nowhere near the variety of leds available.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Never had an issue with my garage door opener until I put an LED into it. Tried a few different brands, TCL and Phillips included, and with a cheap incandescent back in it it works fine again. No idea why.

The 5000k garbage sold is the worst color for an interior light. Way too much blue content.

Half the dammed things flicker like the ones retards put in their headlights.

LEDs make a ton of heat at the junction and require a heatsink or they last the few seconds it takes for the junction temp to climb. Anyone that says LEDs don't make heat needs to see the hole I burned in a table at work with an LED by accident. Burned me and when I dropped it it burned a hole in the table by the time I could pull the power cable out.

CFLs suck in the cold though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

...when the internal circuitry doesn't get fried from power surges.  I have tried a multitude of brands since moving here.  Few last more than six months.  Even fewer last more than a year.  The third-worlding of America means advanced - but fragile - technologies aren't always better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.

...when the internal circuitry doesn't get fried from power surges.  I have tried a multitude of brands since moving here.  Few last more than six months.  Even fewer last more than a year.  The third-worlding of America means advanced - but fragile - technologies aren't always better.

I bought a 12 pack of LEDs, the good stuff, sadly don't remember the brand ( but they were recommended on a DIY forum ) back when Obama did his thing. I gave four away. Of the eight that I had, all lasted at least two years, a few, lasted until a couple of years ago. I have two that are still working, one being the porch light at the front door, the other being in the laundry room.

I need to buy another pack.

The incandescent bulbs work better in the winter though. They produce a little heat. They shouldn't be allowed to ban then though, period.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just bought 6 incandenscent 100 watt bulbs from Home Depot (online) for about $6.00 each.  The boy at Home depot told me they'd had a run on them and were "permanently out of stock", and to order online if needed.  He told me the same thing...get them while you can.  I use them for light and heat in my chicken coops.   You'd be surprised how much heat a 100 watt bulb will give off in a chicken coop that is only about 4 feet square.

Before anyone says "just get a heat lamp", I've tried that.  The incandescent light bulb works better.  Halogens are too hot. LED's don't give off any heat.

I had to buy a bunch of 100 watt bulbs online. I use a square cinder block with a ceramic lamp base in the bottom and the chicken water sits on top.
Keeps it from freezing and we get down to single digits. Heat lamp is to hot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is an interesting question and I don't actually know if temp impacts the life span of an LED, so I googled it and found this.

https://vllightingsolutions.com/how-temperature-affects-led-efficiency/

It says that it's the opposite of the claim, hot bad/cold good:

"Conclusion

Heat plays a major role in the useful life of an LED. Although they don't produce close to as much heat as other light bulb types, the temperature does play an important role in the lifespan of an LED. LEDs begin to dim up to 30% over time, and the hotter the environment, the quicker this effect will take place. Colder temperatures will slow this process down because it will help to keep the junction temperature lower. With a lower junction temperature comes slower lumen depreciation.
"

It also says it is impacted by the amount of heat sink that the diode has to get rid of heat.  So I wonder if the claims of fast failing bulbs could be attributed to cheaper/less heat sink material to wick it away.
View Quote

Cheaper/ less heat sink material, is the reason the cheapo Chinese LEDs fail so quickly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LED's are better anyway.
View Quote

extremely negative health effects from them
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#42]
LEDs are way better IMHO

But I am not in favor of Uncle Sam regulating lightbulbs.

The market can do that just fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]
So I can't see in my house so some EV dipshit can charge their car. Let's see the Whitehouse make an example for everyone.

No bright lights in the press room. No up lights for the monuments. President portraits need not be illuminated, or for that matter even be created.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#44]
A country once full of unlimited options being forced into only one selection
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#45]
And people who think LEDs are some how superior to incandescent can go suck off a LED. Even plants don't grow correctly off LEDs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#46]
So GD like pedo Joe because he dislikes incandescent and halogen bulbs? Fucking pathetic.

LED are better than other bulbs in many areas. However, government should not force us to use one bulb for another when no health risks are involved in the non led bulbs.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some cities found out the hard way replacing incandescent traffic signal lights with LED traffic signal lights was a bad idea.  Whenever it snowed the incandescent lights melted off any snow on the traffic signal, however, LEDs have to be manually cleaned.  LOL.

There will be more unintended and unforeseen consequences.
View Quote

Problem with truck lights too. So they add heaters and then they draw the same energy as a incandescent.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So GD like pedo Joe because he dislikes incandescent and halogen bulbs? Fucking pathetic.

LED are better than other bulbs in many areas. However, government should not force us to use one bulb for another when no health risks are involved in the non led bulbs.

View Quote

I don't like President Gropensniff and I don't think anything should be banned. However, I will not be buying any pre-ban incandescent bulbs because they suck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Last week I threw away about 50 preban incandescent light bulbs, right to the garbage dump.

I should have saved some. they are good fire starters in the presence of flammable fumes.

Price tag on them were $0.77 for a pack of 4 x 100 watt bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was funny, we should all hoard shitty lights, typical GD.
Page / 3
Top Top