BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Youtube has followed the same path as cable TV except it seems to have taken things even further.

At first there were hardly any ads, then just a few that you could put up with, then enough that people started trying to circumvent them.

Then a few years ago YT slashed ad revenue share with creators. That led to every video having a 1 to 3 minute baked-in sponsored ad read from the talent harkening back to old timey radio days.

There is no way in hell I'm sitting through 3-4 several minute YT ads plus the 1-3 minute baked-in ad just for an 8-10 minute video. Even cable TV doesn't have that kind of ratio.

Someone find the meme about welcoming back TPB as an old friend because streaming services became too ridiculous
View Quote

SmartTube for Android cuts out Youtube ads as well as the baked in ads and also the intro and exit crap in the videos. I've been using it for well over a year on my two Android TV boxes and it works great. You have to side load it because, surprise, surprise, it's not on Google's Playstore.

https://smarttubeapp.github.io/
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
There was a thread on here last month about it. YouTube is rolling it out selectively at first.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
uBlock Origin failed today when I got on youtube. I gave this a try and it fixed it as soon as I applied the filter.

Quoted:
uBlock Origin   ->   https://ublockorigin.com/

Go into the configuration for "My Filters"

Put this in it.

! Youtube Anti Anti Ad Blocker
www.youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
www.youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
www.youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
www.youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(1)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(2)
www.youtube.com##ytd-reel-shelf-renderer.ytd-item-section-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(1)
www.youtube.com##ytd-reel-shelf-renderer.ytd-item-section-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(2)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(3)
www.youtube.com###details-container
www.youtube.com###foreground-content
www.youtube.com###offer-module
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-item-renderer #video-title-link[title*="Mix"][href$="start_radio=1"]:upward(ytd-rich-item-renderer)
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would sympathize with Google/Youtube if their content to ad ratio wasn't so out of wack.

When you have to watch a 2 minute commercial for a 5 minute video then have to watch another set of commercials if you stop 30 seconds in is over the top annoying.
I get they need to make money and that Google is an advertisement company, not a tech company but it's gotten out of control.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an add on to my browser that is called Popupoff. I got the dreaded adblock pop up today and hammered it with Popupoff. I haven't seen it since.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
uBlock Origin failed today when I got on youtube. I gave this a try and it fixed it as soon as I applied the filter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
uBlock Origin   ->   https://ublockorigin.com/

Go into the configuration for "My Filters"

Put this in it.

! Youtube Anti Anti Ad Blocker
www.youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)
www.youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)
www.youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])
www.youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(1)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(2)
www.youtube.com##ytd-reel-shelf-renderer.ytd-item-section-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(1)
www.youtube.com##ytd-reel-shelf-renderer.ytd-item-section-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(2)
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-section-renderer.ytd-rich-grid-renderer.style-scope:nth-of-type(3)
www.youtube.com###details-container
www.youtube.com###foreground-content
www.youtube.com###offer-module
www.youtube.com##ytd-rich-item-renderer #video-title-link[title*="Mix"][href$="start_radio=1"]:upward(ytd-rich-item-renderer)

Same. Using Firefox+uBlock for a long time on Youtube and I just got the anti-adblock message for the first time tonight. Going to give this configuration a try.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Seeing more and more people getting the popup.
I'm guessing they are slowly getting it rolled out to everyone.

Around about 4-5 videos with brave so far, and no popup as of yet.

When no blockers work and there is no way to view it without ads, is when I stop using youtube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one, but only one.

They can fuck right off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its a combination of a couple of configs I found.

Don't remember for sure.

View Quote

Now do Twitch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
AHH! Finally saw one today on my primary computer. Interesting. I never have before. I watch a shitload of stuff on YouTube.. never a commercial on my primary home machine.

Adblock in the browser and PiHole filtering DNS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the combo that works for me in chrome.

There was a pi-hole list to block YT ads, but it stopped working a while ago, as they now serve the ads from the same source as the videos.

Google is in a bind with ad blocker extensions for chrome.  They really want to remove them from the extension store and play store, but know that they will take a significant market share drop the moment they do.

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Strange, I pay for Premium so the content creators I enjoy get paid for their work and I don't see any ads.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The company that bought Adblock plus gets paid to let ads threw.  FYI

Use ublock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Ghostery in Chrome blocks the new Youtube crap for now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been getting them on Brave Browser today for the first time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Youtube is really ramping up the number of ads. Clearly they want you to pay for the premium service or endure fifteen ads in a short video clip. The days of enduring a single ad before the video and being able to watch the video uninterrupted after that are long gone. They're even playing ads AFTER the videos now in case you're just letting the videos run one after the other.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The thing I don't get is when I first got hit with ads a couplea years ago, many and often were like infomercials half an hour + long

It was so unbearable it would completely drive me away from the platform and almost did until I got things straightened out... the frequency and obnoxiousness of the ads would drive 90% of viewers off the platform I should think..
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just dont login and they cant do shit about the adblockers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
"why can't I get a service for free, those bastards are making me watch ads"

"this country is swirling down the toilet because of low morals!"

I can't keep up

Quoted:
Strange, I pay for Premium so the content creators I enjoy get paid for their work and I don't see any ads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks, but no I mean where did you hear about it?  I.e. where on the internet did you get it?
View Quote

how to use filters and build your own is knowledge many of us have here's a decent introductory on custom filters
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ublock-origin-custom-filters.html

fwiw, ublock filter is shorter than his

youtube.com##+js(set, yt.config_.openPopupConfig.supportedPopups.adBlockMessageViewModel, false)

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.adBlocksFound, 0)

youtube.com##+js(set, ytplayer.config.args.raw_player_response.adPlacements, [])

youtube.com##+js(set, Object.prototype.hasAllowedInstreamAd, true)

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#21]
*gasp* the return youtube dislike ext broke around noon today
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#22]

ETA: The host file only stopped the youtube block for 2 days...

I got the same messages and was eventually blocked from watching youtube.  I played with tuning the adblock but decided to just us the Steven Black hostlist file.

Now I get no ads, no notices, and no blank black screen pauses.

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a greyed out pop up today in Firefox.  I'm never logged into YouTube.  I just blocked the overlay, then video played as normal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been getting them on Brave Browser today for the first time.
View Quote

Yup.  Saw the first one just a little earlier today.  None yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
*gasp* the return youtube dislike ext broke around noon today
View Quote
Yup I noticed that today too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been getting that message today also. I have a monetized channel so I will probably create another account to watch videos from.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am still wondering if there might be something to this.

Is there anyone here getting the popup that is NOT logged into a account?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is odd is that I'm only getting the warnings on one device, my PC that is running firefox+ublock. I have a laptop that I also watch YT on with firefox+ublock and I'm not getting the warnings, even though I'm logged into the same google account.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me.

Doesn't popup on channel or search pages.  Just individual videos.  As of about an hour ago.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Just dont login and they cant do shit about the adblockers.

Yes, not logged in, got a dark shade over the whole page & the video wouldn't play.  Went into uBlock Origin & blocked:

www.youtube.com##.opened

videos play fine now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seeing more and more people getting the popup.
I'm guessing they are slowly getting it rolled out to everyone.

Around about 4-5 videos with brave so far, and no popup as of yet.

When no blockers work and there is no way to view it without ads, is when I stop using youtube.
View Quote

Yup.  Got hit last night.

Applied the UBlock filters this morning, & G2G.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Fellas, I use brave browser and got hit by the infamous popup for adblock detected last night!

but!....  I clicked ok and made it go away, refreshed the page and have been enjoying youtube videos ever sense. It appears that it was a one time pop up.

Maybe you guys are getting one time popups too and don't realize it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fellas, I use brave browser and got hit by the infamous popup for adblock detected last night!

but!....  I clicked ok and made it go away, refreshed the page and have been enjoying youtube videos ever sense. It appears that it was a one time pop up.

Maybe you guys are getting one time popups too and don't realize it?
View Quote

I started getting it about once a day a week or so ago.  Just click the X and it's gone, no big thing.

Today I started getting a new one.  It says if I don't stop blocking the ads, the video player will be disabled after 3 videos.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I started getting it about once a day a week or so ago.  Just click the X and it's gone, no big thing.

Today I started getting a new one.  It says if I don't stop blocking the ads, the video player will be disabled after 3 videos.

https://i.postimg.cc/y8z1jv6H/Screenshot-2023-10-14-at-2-51-09-PM.png
View Quote

Haven't seen the original message again today, but I saw it several times yesterday. Seemed to happen more if I opened a video link in another tab. Sometimes I do that so I can watch a particular video next.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Im just on Brave and the built in blockers. Watching youtube through Brave means no ads of any sort.

Only thing I notice is that the auto refresh of videos doesnt happen. I have to manually close that tab, wait a few minutes then then get back on youtube. Manually searching for specific videos is fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can't keep up

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't keep up

Quoted:

I refuse to give YouTube a cent of my hard-earned money. I know where the money is going.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The popup has been there since I posted this thread. The last few days there has been a countdown timer before you could click the X to close out the popup.
Last night I got the popup saying I have 3 videos left before youtube becomes blocked.

I downloaded brave last night and played around with the settings a little. Have not logged into youtube yet. I will try that tonight when I get home.
View Quote

Brave isn't going to help in this case.  I'm on the newest update and started getting the popups three days ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Im just on Brave and the built in blockers. Watching youtube through Brave means no ads of any sort.

Only thing I notice is that the auto refresh of videos doesnt happen. I have to manually close that tab, wait a few minutes then then get back on youtube. Manually searching for specific videos is fine.
View Quote

Not any more. It started on Brave last night for me. Then on Firefox with Ublock Origin this afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strange, the content creators I enjoy get demonetized if they blink the wrong way and I still see ads.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Youtube knows what ad you were supposed to be served and how long the min watch time was supposed to be. If the main video starts to stream before some threshold for the ad time they will know the ad was blocked. So even if the ad was streamed in the background they will still know it was blocked.  Doesn't matter what browser/adblock you're running they can easily figure out the ad was skipped.  The only thing holding them back is how aggressive they want to be.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Not paying $14 per month for YouTube. Hate watching ads. Looking for a work around without needing programming experience. Anyone ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Its a combination of a couple of configs I found.

Don't remember for sure.

View Quote

I tried it, but still get the pop on youtube.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#43]
As a side note, if you have an Android device get the app called NewPipe.  You can't get it on play store for obvious reasons, but you can on F-Droid or download the APK from their website.

Complete game changer!

You don't ever log into youtube so they can't track what you watch by your account.  You will need to manually add your subscriptions into it, but once it's done you get your subscription feed, and no ads whatsoever.

Also allows you to download video and audio only.  Also allows you to listen to audio only.

I only wish it was offered on PC or IOS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Youtube knows what ad you were supposed to be served and how long the min watch time was supposed to be. If the main video starts to stream before some threshold for the ad time they will know the ad was blocked. So even if the ad was streamed in the background they will still know it was blocked.  Doesn't matter what browser/adblock you're running they can easily figure out the ad was skipped.  The only thing holding them back is how aggressive they want to be.
View Quote

Yeah this whole thing seems pretty well thought out.  Its not your typical easily blockable thing.  I just kind of ignored it until today when I got the message about how the video player would be disabled after 3 videos.  I've tried every workaround in this thread and none of them work anymore.  For anyone who thinks they found a way to block it, just give it some time and it'll stop working.  Youtube seems to be slow rolling this out to people over time, it starts off mild then goes full fuck you after a week or so lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I can still watch the 3"x5" preview videos so I guess that's what I will be doing. Roll my mouse over the video to play it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Adblock will update and it will go away for a while.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Got a different pop-up today, this one was much larger and in the middle of the screen.... they're no longer telling me adblock contains malware, they finally just straight up said they're not allowed.

The offer was to buy YT or stop viewing videos. I chose the latter... still watching videos.. very minor escalation

Honestly, and I dunno if they're playing fuck-fuck games or Google just blows, but the choices they throw up for me kinda suck... may be because I have several hundred "favorites" I dunno, but their recommendations aren't very interesting and they're repetitive when I refresh, I usually have to do quite a bit of searching to find good content, which is different from not to long ago.

If they're not gonna allow ad-free  I'll just go to Rumble, I don't think it'll be much of a downgrade, just a different navigation and rebuilding a favorites library..
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Knock on wood... Mine still works

http://www.planetb.net/livejournal/firefox%20adblock.png
View Quote

I'm using Ablocker Ultimate.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Firefox and adblocker Ultimate still work great for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah this whole thing seems pretty well thought out.  Its not your typical easily blockable thing.  I just kind of ignored it until today when I got the message about how the video player would be disabled after 3 videos.  I've tried every workaround in this thread and none of them work anymore.  For anyone who thinks they found a way to block it, just give it some time and it'll stop working.  Youtube seems to be slow rolling this out to people over time, it starts off mild then goes full fuck you after a week or so lol
View Quote

Currently looking to see how many of my subscriptions are on Rumble.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top