Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm done with the AR-15.  Why not make a rifle in a more powerful cartridge that actually addresses some of the issues of the platform?  I have enough AR, I want something in a larger caliber, not .308, that isn't an AR-15.  Glock as usual didn't do what I want and they should be ashamed of that.
View Quote

The SIG SPEAR exists.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why would Glock make a product for an already saturated market?
View Quote
Jesus 8700 people have repeated this point. THEYRE COMPETING FOR A MILITARY CONTRACT, NOT FOR CONSUMER MARKET. Some inbred illiterate fucks on here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Especially when the lowers were machined so poorly that and you could see daylight coming through some of the roll stamps.

Ahh, the good ole days.
View Quote

was there a time frame that olympic was good or bad? i have a 7.62x39 ar from them thats never been fired. i think it was built in the late 80's but i'm not 100% sure. definitely pre 94. it looks nice but i don't know much about it.

on the topic being discussed, my credit card is ready for a glock ar. and a pcc. preferably both
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone posted a bunch of patents Glock had filed for.  I believe at least some were an AR15 bolt design but can't remember the rest.

Either way, they'll sell if they ever bring them to market.  People said Springfield was late to the party also, but they still sold a bazillion Saints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My bottom line on a Glock AR is that it's totally unnecessary and wastes manufacturing capacity best suited to something else UNLESS:

The rocket scientists at Glock put pen to paper and re-engineer some things "the Glock way."

1.  Redesign bolt to minimize breakage, especially at the cam pin hole and bolt lugs
2.  Make a genuine, drop-in free float handguard by re-engineering the delta ring and front end cap
3.  Produce a high quality, bullet proof back up iron sight
4.  Make the barrel/flash hider suppressor ready moreso than a standard A2 hider/barrel combo.
5.  Engineer a high quality lightweight barrel less prone to barrel whip and loss of accuracy when heated up (I know this ain't a big thing as per
    an older MrGunsngear video but we're talking fine tuning  here).
6.  Maybe at long last, a durable polymer upper and lower with steel inserts where appropriate that can stand up to the pounding of a rilfle cartridge.

Anything else less than genuine innovations is "just another AR" that we don't need.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.
Someone posted a bunch of patents Glock had filed for.  I believe at least some were an AR15 bolt design but can't remember the rest.

Either way, they'll sell if they ever bring them to market.  People said Springfield was late to the party also, but they still sold a bazillion Saints.

My avatar comes from those patents. Is it finally happening?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jesus 8700 people have repeated this point. THEYRE COMPETING FOR A MILITARY CONTRACT, NOT FOR CONSUMER MARKET. Some inbred illiterate fucks on here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you’re my long lost brother. Or spirit animal. Or just a fellow curmudgeon. Either way:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, various types from Diemaco, HK, LMT, and possibly a few others.

The British military had some in limited service prior to it being adopted by the U.S military. I think they bought them for jungle warfare during the Malaysian Emergency.

The Royal Marines pushed hard to adopt the M16 in the 1980s, during the early introduction of the SA80. They ended up with compact HK33 variants for special troops.

My money is on LMT or Diemaco winning new contracts. British mil and police are very fond of LMT products and have bought various models in various calibres.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand it, the UK already has an AR15 for its spec ops ?

Yes, various types from Diemaco, HK, LMT, and possibly a few others.

The British military had some in limited service prior to it being adopted by the U.S military. I think they bought them for jungle warfare during the Malaysian Emergency.

The Royal Marines pushed hard to adopt the M16 in the 1980s, during the early introduction of the SA80. They ended up with compact HK33 variants for special troops.

My money is on LMT or Diemaco winning new contracts. British mil and police are very fond of LMT products and have bought various models in various calibres.

I know Greg the UK LMT guy - my money is on him winning it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Those wanting to buy one:  I have my doubts it would ever even be offered on the civilian market.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if it isn't the exact thing they wanted for themselves then it's bad, wrong and dumb. Some people struggle with the idea that not everything is about them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My bottom line on a Glock AR is that it's totally unnecessary and wastes manufacturing capacity best suited to something else UNLESS: they win a military contract.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

He makes a good point.   Maybe answer his question.

The MILITARY CONTRACT MARKET IS ALSO SATURATED

sig MCX, Sig SPEAR, HK 416, Colt, FN, DD, Larue, KAC, SIG RATTLER.  

ITS FUCKING SATURATED AS FUCK
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My bottom line on a Glock AR is that it's totally unnecessary and wastes manufacturing capacity best suited to something else UNLESS: they win a military contract.

Fixed it for you.

Shit. If Glock is doing an AR, they WILL get contracts. Someone, somewhere will adopt them. It’s Glock. Glock has decades of fulfilling Agency contracts, military sidearm contracts, LEO sidearm contracts, massive civi sales. Decades of procurement materials experience, of supplier chain experience, of scaled up manufacturing experience. It’s not IF but WHEN.

ETA: People keep saying “WHY?”. It’s safe money for Glock. They know they’ll get contracts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Word is they went to Anderson to obtain the basic parts along with some special 'glock features' machined into the upper/lower. Word is Gaston's wife likes the pony.

I'm telling you heads will explode. Literally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My bottom line on a Glock AR is that it's totally unnecessary and wastes manufacturing capacity best suited to something else UNLESS:

The rocket scientists at Glock put pen to paper and re-engineer some things "the Glock way."

1.  Redesign bolt to minimize breakage, especially at the cam pin hole and bolt lugs
2.  Make a genuine, drop-in free float handguard by re-engineering the delta ring and front end cap
3.  Produce a high quality, bullet proof back up iron sight
4.  Make the barrel/flash hider suppressor ready moreso than a standard A2 hider/barrel combo.
5.  Engineer a high quality lightweight barrel less prone to barrel whip and loss of accuracy when heated up (I know this ain't a big thing as per
    an older MrGunsngear video but we're talking fine tuning  here).
6.  Maybe at long last, a durable polymer upper and lower with steel inserts where appropriate that can stand up to the pounding of a rilfle cartridge.

Anything else less than genuine innovations is "just another AR" that we don't need.

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

Word is they went to Anderson to obtain the basic parts along with some special 'glock features' machined into the upper/lower. Word is Gaston's wife likes the pony.

I'm telling you heads will explode. Literally.

Glock does have a thing for horses...

http://www.ghpc.at/en/at/home/
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but all of those options are expensive as fuck, with the possible exception of Colt or FN if they stick with their "legacy" AR15/M4/M16 designs.  The UK military has become increasingly cost sensitive over the years and may be reluctant to spend those dollars.  Kinda surprised the Diemaco/Colt Canada option didn't already win since they've already got some penetration into the UK MOD.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's completely irrelevant how saturated it is. If you can meet the requirements in that one specific RFP at a winning price that allows you to make a profit then it's worth doing. It's not like there's much sunk cost for Glock in this.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock may not be doing the latest and greatest whizz-bang these days but they know how to do one thing for certain - they deliver. That in itself is probably the most important thing. They deliver on contract numbers and have the after sale support to keep large buyers happy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's completely irrelevant how saturated it is. If you can meet the requirements in that one specific RFP at a winning price that allows you to make a profit then it's worth doing. It's not like there's much sunk cost for Glock in this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I don't understand the hysteria.  Its a government proposal for bids.  If Glock wants to do nothing original whatsoever and simply clone a Colt M4 to meet the contract, its a win for them.  They have the manufacturing and QC capability to make a superb durable M4 at a bid winning price.  Its just government procurement.  Nothing more or less.  Nothing to get excited about or get one's panties in a wad about either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those wanting to buy one:  I have my doubts it would ever even be offered on the civilian market.
View Quote

If true, I guess they want to acquire an elite status.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yay.  Another roll mark design to pick from.  Someone needs to bring back the Olympic Arms lion, it was my favorite roll mark.
View Quote

Olympic and pot metal cast uppers. They used to shill right here in GD.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Glock definitely has the PoPo market. Word on the street is it’s definitely a Glock prototype going after the military market. The military sample is for another country, if Glock works the bugs out I’ll buy one or two.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The SIG SPEAR exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm done with the AR-15.  Why not make a rifle in a more powerful cartridge that actually addresses some of the issues of the platform?  I have enough AR, I want something in a larger caliber, not .308, that isn't an AR-15.  Glock as usual didn't do what I want and they should be ashamed of that.

The SIG SPEAR exists.
Yes, and I want one, but not for $8k and not with a caliber that (at the moment) is nearly unobtainable or prohibitively expensive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Why?

Theres hundreds of established rifle makers...what is Glock going to do that KAC or others haven't?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#23]
CONFIRMED

Glock has confirmed to AmmoLand News that the pictures that set the Internet on fire of the AR-15 style Glock carbine are real.

“Glock is always in development of future products and technologies through the pursuit of perfection,” Ainsley Cash Conner, Communications Manager for Glock, told AmmoLand News. “The image shared is of a product developed for select solicitations and it is not available for the general market at this time.”

View Quote

The Glock carbine designated the GR-115F is in trials with the British Army. The British Army is looking to replace its current SA-80 rifle. The British Royal Marines awarded a contract Colt Canada to replace its existing stock of aging SA-80 rifles with M4 like rifles. It is reported that Glock is up against Knights Armaments (KA) and Lewis Machine and Tool Company (LMT) for the lucrative British contract. However, there could be other companies in the running.

According to the source, the GR-115F is chambered in 5.56 NATO, which is the standard round for all NATO countries. The rifle has a 14.5-inch barrel like the American military’s M4 carbine and an OSS suppressor with a flash hider. The Glock rifle appears to have an impingement gas system. The handguard is marked “Glock,” which indicates the firearms giant makes it. It has an MLOK rail system to allow for easy attachment of accessories. The handguard also has quick detach mounting points for things like slings.

The fire controls on the rifle are ambidextrous with safe, semi-automatic, and automatic settings. The bolt release on the gun is also ambidextrous. The GR-115F also has a Magpul pistol grip and an oversized trigger guard. The firearm is equipped with a standard buffer tube and a Magpul CTR stock.

View Quote

Although Glock has confirmed that the pictures are real, the company said it is for select solicitations and is not available for the general public at this time. It appears any hopes for the Glock carbine to be available to the civilian market will have to wait.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. There are already 150 AR brands out there.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Damned ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may build one that is excellent in reliability and longevity for a price less than equal ARs. Time will tell.

If they get the military contract, they'll probably start making them for the civilian market. It seems like it would almost be guaranteed success.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If they get the military contract, they'll probably start making them for the civilian market. It seems like it would almost be guaranteed success.
View Quote

It will almost certainly have to be made in the US as well, just to avoid the Section 922(r) nonsense.  Imagine the collective groan if people find out the only way to own a Glock AR15 in the US is to get one with all the neat features neutered.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#28]

and even GLock can't get all the FDE to match
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm trying to envision the changing of the guard with tan rifles.  Not sure the color combo works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CONFIRMED

View Quote

Anyone have pictures of the KAC and LMT submissions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the same time, “saturated market” or not, if Glock offers it for sale in the US it will sell. Enough Glock fans boys they sell out of every special edition, including watches, they make.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
GLARK
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I took that personally
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GLARK
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
GLARK
View Quote

Excellent
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Where's the Glock carbine that takes Glock mags?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#37]
IF they come to market, and the price is reasonable, I'll probably pick one up.

Gaston needs a new pair of shoes, come on, man!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At the same time, “saturated market” or not, if Glock offers it for sale in the US it will sell. Enough Glock fans boys they sell out of every special edition, including watches, they make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know they made watches.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#39]
The American companies competing with Glock may be at a disadvantage due to Glock being European. Anyone have any idea how much so if that is true?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
LMT's have been having issues, particularly the .308s blowing the charging handle back into the shooters face. Not recommended.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why?

Theres hundreds of established rifle makers...what is Glock going to do that KAC or others haven't?
View Quote
Nothing, but they'll do it cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

A one stop mfg for the *Ionly own Glocks and ARs* clowns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
GLARK
View Quote

You just won the internet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Now do 1911.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Now do 1911.
View Quote

Divide by zero.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Does it take Glock mags?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting choice. Glock has remained committed to doing but basic, cheap to produce pistols for so long. And their first non-pistol is an AR. Would have been interesting to see them try something different. Just an odd choice because they went from market leader (everyone is copying the Glock style pistol) to following trends with this one.

I wonder if we're going to see a more risk taking Glock in the future. Maybe they'll come out with high end semi custom pistols like SIG, Beretta and others do. They've let that market fill out with companies like ZEV. Maybe we'll see Glock try and go after that market directly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
LMT's have been having issues, particularly the .308s blowing the charging handle back into the shooters face. Not recommended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. Had not seen any reports. Nor heard any rumours.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why?

View Quote

Dunno but I see they are going with a replaceable trigger guard.

------
Adding: where are the finger grooves??
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Way late
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top