BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI, I found his recipe for the meat blend he uses for burgers at Bread Street Kitchen, which may or may not be the same as this one.

7oz short rib
14oz chuck
7oz brisket
3oz fat

All "minced" which I assume is Limey for ground.
View Quote
Again because apparently nobody saw it
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was just kidding. While it's true that technically it is a contamination hazard, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it doesn't sit there long and it's going straight to the heat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also went straight on the grill for several minutes.  While it's not something I'd have done, and would be against DEC rules in a restaurant, perfectly fine to do at home.  Anything potential would be cooked off anyhow, not to mention with the quality of ingredients he uses on his shows, I really doubt he'll ever get something contaminated with a pathogen.  

Hell, I do the same at home on occasion to save on seasoning or dishes.  Just make sure that temps are hit properly.  Mostly I was wondering where the pickle was.
I was just kidding. While it's true that technically it is a contamination hazard, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it doesn't sit there long and it's going straight to the heat.
my sarcasm is broken today, don't mind me.   I'm occasionally overly critical on stuff like that, as my family thinks a properly cooked chicken or turkey need to be held at a minimum of 180f for 10 minutes before resting, among other derpage.    Tried to train them out of it, but no go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
for those who haven't been exposed to the f-word, here's a playlist with a bunch of recipes from the show.  if you're looking for simple, really good recipes, you really should be watching these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtkGXq2G9s&list=PLDgSM4iGxY4l506MkrxJaQRzMsagC1FBq
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
for those who haven't been exposed to the f-word, here's a playlist with a bunch of recipes from the show.  if you're looking for simple, really good recipes, you really should be watching these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtkGXq2G9s&list=PLDgSM4iGxY4l506MkrxJaQRzMsagC1FBq
View Quote
Pretty sure I stole my mushroom alfredo recipe off there.  Ended up adding bacon to it though. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Chuck is a cut that is underappreciated, particularly in a burger context.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chuck is a cut that is underappreciated, particularly in a burger context.
View Quote
It's my go-to chili cut. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he forgot to salt and season the lettuce.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
"You put so much oil in this that the US wanted to invade the fucking plate"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On a gas grill?
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"You put so much oil in this that the US wanted to invade the fucking plate"
View Quote
'There's so much salt in your post that the Romans want to pay the legionaries with it.' 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my friends is a 400+ lbs competition cooker.

He said - "You want to know the secret of a tasty burger".

Having eaten his offerings for decades, I said "of course".

"The trick is to grate a stick of frozen butter into the burger".

Uh - thanks for the tip, my enormous friend!

My go-to is 50/50 ground venison with 70/30 chuck.

Eta: "on...on...on...on....on...on"

It's video Gordon, not radio dude.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It seemed excessive but really wasn't. Season before you cook and season every layer of flavor.  Then again I love salt and pepper.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

'There's so much salt in your post that the Romans want to pay the legionaries with it.' 
View Quote
"Why did the chicken cross the road?Because you didn't fucking cook it"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I often wonder what his palate is like. I've never ate his cooking (He'd have to open a restaurant in Texas, or I'd have to fly to London, and I probably couldn't afford it ), but one of the most common complaints he offers up when criticizing other people's food is "BLAND...no seasoning!". I kinda get it, but then I get to thinking "Do that many people really not properly season their food with salt?". 

You do get accustomed to salt, and can build a tolerance for it. I wonder if I'd taste that burger he made as being too salty. Most of me wants to say "yes", but...the man is a Michelin starred chef. He clearly knows what he's doing. I am in NO position to critique the man's cooking from my office chair. 

Either that, or the undercover Michelin guys love the shit out of salt, too. 

I dunno. Maybe he's not using as much as it appears in the video. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay that was good
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Dump the mayo
Otherwise ducking awesome
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a burger at his restaurant in Planet Hollywood, it was delicious.

I don't know if it was the best burger I've ever had, but it was close.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
About 100f higher smoke point than olive oil (~325f vs ~425f) and doesn't add any weird flavors if it doesn't get overheated so long as you don't scorch it.  Really popular for frying things that you don't want to deep fry.  You could go up to Pomace olive oil which has a really high smoke point similar to grapeseed, but you'll loose a ton of flavor in that heat, plus it's expensive.
View Quote
I come to GD for gun and bbq advice, it always delivers.

Making America great again, one bbq at a time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I often wonder what his palate is like. I've never ate his cooking (He'd have to open a restaurant in Texas, or I'd have to fly to London, and I probably couldn't afford it ), but one of the most common complaints he offers up when criticizing other people's food is "BLAND...no seasoning!". I kinda get it, but then I get to thinking "Do that many people really not properly season their food with salt?". 

You do get accustomed to salt, and can build a tolerance for it. I wonder if I'd taste that burger he made as being too salty. Most of me wants to say "yes", but...the man is a Michelin starred chef. He clearly knows what he's doing. I am in NO position to critique the man's cooking from my office chair. 

View Quote
He loves spice!!

His hell's kitchen hot sauces are hot and taste really good
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
GTFO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IT'S FUCKING RAW!!1!1!!!
GTFO
Seriously GTFO. Medium rare is the only way to eat a burger or steak. You can disagree, but you're wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seriously GTFO. Medium rare is the only way to eat a burger or steak. You can disagree, but you're wrong.
View Quote
If you care about taste, medium rare.
AFAIK That is not even debatable among chefs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Re: Seasoning

I full-screened and watched the video carefully again. He's using what seems to be a sea salt (the granules look big enough), and trying to watch him closely as he pinches and lets it fly, he's not actually letting that much hit the food. It's lighter than it initially appeared at first glance. He's seasoning often, but it's just a touch as he builds each flavor. 

Also: That's not just mayonnaise. He's got a bit of mustard in there, as well. Probably whole gain, because I can make out some large darker bits (and that couldn't be pepper - it would be way too much).  And I'm assuming it's a mayonnaise he whipped up quickly himself - I'd be shocked if he went for store bought (mayo is stupid easy to make). The texture certainly looks homemade, but that could also be the result of whatever else he's mixed in there. I doubt it, though. 

In fact, I'll bet it's this:

How to Make Mayonnaise - Gordon Ramsay
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Come on now, you know that wasn't unsalted butter he was using!

I'm sure it tastes great, I just wouldn't want to have any blood work done a couple days after eating it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you care about taste, medium rare.
AFAIK That is not even debatable among chefs.
View Quote
I would hope so. We have goobers in this very thread advocating for cooking the fucker dry and tasteless. Jesus Christ just season your fucking sneaker, top it with a little ketchup and mayo and choke down on that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Re: Seasoning

I full-screened and watched the video carefully again. He's using what seems to be a sea salt (the granules look big enough), and trying to watch him closely as he pinches and lets it fly, he's not actually letting that much hit the food. It's lighter than it initially appeared at first glance. He's seasoning often, but it's just a touch as he builds each flavor. 

Also: That's not just mayonnaise. He's got a bit of mustard in there, as well. Probably whole gain, because I can make out some large darker bits (and that couldn't be pepper - it would be way too much).  And I'm assuming it's a mayonnaise he whipped up quickly himself - I'd be shocked if he went for store bought (mayo is stupid easy to make). The texture certainly looks homemade, but that could also be the result of whatever else he's mixed in there. I doubt it, though. 

In fact, I'll bet it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dV-nXquiqU
View Quote
He's a fucking chef. I doubt it's what we call mayonaisse.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#28]
We all have our own preference but after several decades of making burgers nowadays I use a griddle.

I have a griddle for my Big Green Egg, Weber gas grill and one for the stove top.

The crust that forms on a griddle adds more flavor than what you get from a grate.

By the way, although it may not sound right steaming a hamburger patty is absolutely delicious.   It wont have the crust but the meat will be juicy, moist and very flavorful.  I do that sometimes for sliders and they are great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would hope so. We have goobers in this very thread advocating for cooking the fucker dry and tasteless. Jesus Christ just season your fucking sneaker, top it with a little ketchup and mayo and choke down on that.
View Quote
Eggsactky
My wife orders burgers medium rare ( as do I)
If it comes out done she tells them "I could just have beef jerky at home if this is the best you can do"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been to BurGR a few times and it's absolutely insane. The best food you can imagine, and it's like $15 / plate. Two people could split one of them because they're huge and everything is very high quality, so it actually fills you up.

My wife and I are going to fly back to Vegas just to eat there again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
An emulsion of egg yolk, white pepper, a little dry mustard, lemon juice, and oil?

That's what I call mayo... unless it has garlic and uses olive oil, in which case it's aeoli...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I've eaten at his burger place twice.

Meh is the best I've got. Also, he didn't wash his hands after touching raw meat and then handled the other food.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Meh is the best I've got. Also, he didn't wash his hands after touching raw meat and then handled the other food.
View Quote
You guys with this food handling. Seriously, never eat at a restaurant. Ever. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here's his recipe.  It's real mayo, not the jar stuff.  Wonder why he uses a flavorless oil like canola though.  I've always used extra virgin olive in mine.  If it has garlic, it's an aioli, but I'm not sure if the oil matters so much.  Then again, I'm not a classically trained chef.  At best I was hispanic and short order cooking.   Would love to go to culinary school for the experience and training, but I'm too beat up to work in a kitchen these days.  

1. 3 egg yolks.
  2. teaspoon of coarse ground dijon mustard.
  3. pinch of salt.
  4. pinch of pepper (freshly ground if possible)
  5. 1 lemon.
  6. 1 1/4 cups of flavorless cooking oil.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's his recipe.  It's real mayo, not the jar stuff.  Wonder why he uses a flavorless oil like canola though.  I've always used extra virgin olive in mine.  If it has garlic, it's an aioli, but I'm not sure if the oil matters so much.  Then again, I'm not a classically trained chef.  At best I was hispanic and short order cooking.   Would love to go to culinary school for the experience and training, but I'm too beat up to work in a kitchen these days.  

1. 3 egg yolks.
  3. pinch of salt.
  5. 1 lemon.
View Quote
He uses sunflower oil in the video Subnet posted.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder if I'd taste that burger he made as being too salty. Most of me wants to say "yes", but...the man is a Michelin starred chef. He clearly knows what he's doing. I am in NO position to critique the man's cooking from my office chair. 

View Quote
they're very thick patties, which makes a difference.  a common problem with thick cuts is that the very first taste is properly seasoned, but the next 15 seconds of chewing is bland because there's so much internal volume that the S&P never touched.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Come on now, you know that wasn't unsalted butter he was using!
View Quote
never met a serious cook who doesn't use unsalted butter for cooking.  salted butter is for finishing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. 3 egg yolks.
  3. pinch of salt.
  5. 1 lemon.
Fair enough.  Mostly was wondering why though.  I've always been told to, and have made it with olive oil.  Just curious as to the difference.  Might just have to make a small batch of each and see what the flavor difference is.  Flavorless oil might make it a touch more umami, but that's my only guess.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever see the movie Waiting?  That NAILS the fuckery in diners and the like.  Everyone I know that has worked in restaurants like that loves the movie.  Everyone else hates it.    Now a real restaurant is a vastly different thing.  Started cooking in cheap greasy diners, and you'd be amazed what bullshit happens there.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

1. 3 egg yolks.
  3. pinch of salt.
  5. 1 lemon.
View Quote
That was my point. It didn't come from a jar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Would smash.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
In this thread: a bunch of nobodies criticize a chef who has been awarded 16 Michelin stars.

I'm sure that burger is way more delicious than any I've ever made. It looked delicious.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
All I know is when I worked food that shit would get you written up ASAP. Are all restaurants going to follow that, no, but the food dept sure will.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In this thread: a bunch of nobodies criticize a chef who has been awarded 16 Michelin stars.

I'm sure that burger is way more delicious than any I've ever made. It looked delicious.
View Quote
It's fine. We're all just a bunch of food nerds trying to break what he did down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a burger, not neurosurgery. There are a thousand ways to make a damned good burger.  As a chef, he's been exposed to more cooking techniques than most. As a professional, he's had time to practice those techniques, and has learned what "works" for his particular style, and what his customers like.  That said, there's no voodoo black magic in making a fucking hamburger... use good ingredients, don't fuck it up (mostly don't overcook it), and you're going to do just fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he said safflower? Similar oils, but safflower is common in mayo and dressings...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
charcoal is for hipsters and people who dont know what they're doing...which is a hipster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a gas grill?
charcoal is for hipsters and people who dont know what they're doing...which is a hipster
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I can cook a better burger than him.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Needs a fried egg.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I just made his mayo and mustard concoction for no particular reason a few minutes ago. 

It's pretty good. 

Don't use a full lemon, like the "recipe" posted earlier says. That's nuts. In fact, just lightly squeeze half a small lemon. Teaspoon of whole grain mustard per 3 egg yolks seems about right. Straight up 1-2-3 veg oil from the Mexican market is fine - drizzle in 1.25 cups as you're whipping the ever loving shit out of it. I used a Cuisinart DFP-14BCWNY food processor for whipping duty because reasons, and go be poor somewhere else. 

It's good. 

I'll use it in something or another over the next week. I dunno. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's the same amount of time, either way. What part do you disagree with?

If I stop typing right now, start a timer, and head to the kitchen...I'll grab a cutting board, retrieve pantry ingredients, retrieve goodies from the fridge, make my sauce, wash and prep my lettuce, slice my onion and tomato, grab the chuck out of the fridge, run it through the grinder real quick, form the patties, grab the buns, etc, etc, etc. By the time all of that makes its way onto a serving tray, and I've got my oil, salt, pepper, butter, sauce ready to rock next to the grill...about 20 minutes has passed. 

Coincidentally, it takes coals about 20 minutes to come up to temp in a chimney. So um...light those before you even think of reaching in the cupboard. Or don't, and turn the gas on as the last step. Same amount of time. 

Now, if you do all of that and forget to light the coals as the very first step...yeah. You're going to be staring at your grill for the next 20 minutes. So um...don't do that. 
View Quote
Agree with Sub, my lump is ready to cook burgers in 20 mins or less. In fact, I did this tonight. Started the BGE while da wife mixed up the patties, by the time she had them ready along with the fries and fixings the grill was hot. 3 mins per side and an extra min for the cheese and we were ready.

I do not understand the "charcoal takes too long" crowd. Maybe y'all need some practice or something.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top