BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
  I am filing this away behind  "people who buy manual transmission vehicles are just showing off"  in the lamest things I have read in GD catagory but thanks for the advice Hank Hill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

charcoal is for hipsters and people who dont know what they're doing...which is a hipster
  I am filing this away behind  "people who buy manual transmission vehicles are just showing off"  in the lamest things I have read in GD catagory but thanks for the advice Hank Hill.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I sure would have loved to know the portions of what meats as well.  I've screwed around with ground sirloin, chuck, round, etc and never really say to myself ' i've done it!  This is the best burger!'.  They always end up shrinky, breaky, or otherwise ...meh.   My wife sure loves them - which is why I make them - but I could honestly take or leave a burger.  How about a Subnet recipe?

Thanks,
View Quote
I grind it myself, and I use equal parts short rib, brisket and sirloin. And after reading this, I've been wanting to try replacing the short rib with oxtail: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

I sometimes add additional fat (depends on the fat content of the short rib, brisket and sirloin), and oxtail would probably save me the trouble. And I'll bet it's delicious. 

I also have a burger press that makes perfect forms - just don't press the shit out of it. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What was the oil he recommended?
View Quote
grapeseed I think
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Needs to be cooked a lot more than that

This a properly cooked burger

http://i.imgur.com/1GKn1bc.jpg
View Quote
For breakfast sausage patties? Yes, no pink is the preferred color. 
A nice Medium is perfect for burgers for retaining juiciness. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

yeah, away from Hell's Kitchen, he comes across as a really sweet, positive person.  his BBC show the F word is fantastic.
View Quote
Is love F Word, the one with James May is hilarious. His US version of it starts May 31st.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Those burgers look delicious.  I really wish he would have spend some time telling us how he made/formed those patties.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty much.  I wish he would have shown/explained the meat prep more thoroughly.  Looks delicious though.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
charcoal is for hipsters and people who dont know what they're doing...which is a hipster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a gas grill?
Holy shit this is the 2nd time I've seen this posted in 2 days.
Man has been cooking over wood fueled fire since the Stone Age.
Ever been to a BBQ competition? Go to one and walk up to a few booths and then laugh at them calling them hipsters saying they don't know shit about cooking.
Let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Has he ever taken a food safety class? Handles raw beef, smears his hands on his dirty rag and then handles the buns. Food inspectors don't like that...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those burgers look delicious.  I really wish he would have spend some time telling us how he made/formed those patties.
View Quote
A big ass ring mold
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do, and I've never understood this argument. Gas isn't any faster, unless you're pulling pre-made patties out of the freezer. 

See all that shit he's got prepped and laying out by the grill? The coals are ready to rock by the time you've finished that. Start the coals in the chimney immediately before even looking at the kitchen, and they'll be ready by the time you've got your patties made, your sauce/spread created, your onions, tomatoes and lettuce cut and prepped, etc. 

Charcoal: Light the coals right now, then get your mise en place taken care of. 
Gas: Get your mise en place taken care of, then turn the burners on. 

Same difference. Fucking up the order isn't the fault of the charcoal. 
View Quote
Look, I don't even own a gas grill, but really? Pulling the charcoal grill out, getting the charcoal stacked up in the fire starter, getting a flame under it and setting it up is seriously as fast as turning a knob? I mean there IS a time cost... But I usually throw a few wood chips of whatever flavor I want even when I do burgers, definitely adds to it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a burger press, but you can use a ring as a form. Find something about 4-5" or so in diameter, and use that. Can't find anything? Start looking through your canned goods. Saw an inch off the top. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a burger press, but you can use a ring as a form. Find something about 4-5" or so in diameter, and use that. Can't find anything? Start looking through your canned goods. Saw an inch off the top. 
View Quote
I have a springform pan that makes perfect sized burgers (with the bottom removed).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
All around excellent but a few nit-picks
  • That grill isn't "piping hot".  I'dd call it medium hot at best, and due to the thickness of his burgers I'll bet its not much more than 425.
  • Egg as a binder makes things full-proof but isn't necessary with the right amount of fat in them
  • He restaurant seasoned.  When you have lower quality meats it's easy to cover it up with a good heaping of salt + pepper.  When you buy and grind the meat yourself and buy quality there is no reason to over do it like this.  Overdose on the mayo as well.
  • +1 on the onions but I'd do them in a nice cast iron pan on the side to really caramelize them more
  • I like the bottom-up assembly.  Great idea!
  • -5 Missing bacon
  • Chuck + brisket is a great blend.  I also love short rib in there.
9/10  Would devour!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Look, I don't even own a gas grill, but really? Pulling the charcoal grill out, getting the charcoal stacked up in the fire starter, getting a flame under it and setting it up is seriously as fast as turning a knob? I mean there IS a time cost... But I usually throw a few wood chips of whatever flavor I want even when I do burgers, definitely adds to it.
View Quote
Of course not, but it's close. I don't know how to write this any differently. Let me try this again: 

My charcoal grill lives on my back porch, and there is no pulling out required. Well, I do have to lift the lid. 

The bag of charcoal is out there right next to it. I pour the coals out of the bag into the chimney starter, place a single starter cube under it, light it, and walk inside the house to start the prep. If this takes 60 seconds by this point, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

By the time I've grabbed everything out the fridge/cupboard/pantry and performed all of my preparation steps, it's been about 20 minutes. When I come back outside with my food, the coals are ready. Pour. Cook. At this point, somebody using gas would turn a knob as the final step. I took 60 seconds to light the coals, about 20 minutes ago. I've been prepping food during this time, not staring at a grill waiting on anything. 

Seriously, I don't know how to write this any differently. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
nice
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That shit was driving me crazy the whole time.  Nobody would make a burger with a tomato on the bottom.

That and he used way too much mayo. I like mayo, but not three layers.

He said 1/2 chuck 1/2 brisket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He built it upside down, but ide eat it. Would also like to know the burger blend.
That shit was driving me crazy the whole time.  Nobody would make a burger with a tomato on the bottom.

That and he used way too much mayo. I like mayo, but not three layers.

He said 1/2 chuck 1/2 brisket.
I'm guessing that his mayo was probably home-made and pretty light on flavor.  he could have shared his mayo recipe and the blend of meat for the burger.  That would have been as interesting, if not more interesting, than watching him cook a few burgers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe I'm just a germophobe, but he puts the meat on the grill with his bare hands, wipes them off on a towel, then starts touching the bun.  No way the bun gets hot enough to get the raw meat germs killed off.  And he touches all other sorts of things.  Never. Washes. His. Hands. After handling raw meat.  

Maybe it's off camera...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just a germophobe, but he puts the meat on the grill with his bare hands, wipes them off on a towel, then starts touching the bun.  No way the bun gets hot enough to get the raw meat germs killed off.  And he touches all other sorts of things.  Never. Washes. His. Hands. After handling raw meat.  

Maybe it's off camera...
View Quote
There's no maybe about it. I'm going to call it confirmed. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's off camera...
LOL!  Ok, but I always wash after handling raw meat.  Is that not the norm?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always wash after handling raw meat.  Is that not the norm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's off camera...
I always wash after handling raw meat.  Is that not the norm?
It probably makes the health department happy. For everyone else, there's probably a CYA attitude when dispensing advice on it. 

I'm only anal about it when handling raw poultry. For a burger patty that I ground myself? Nah. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a meat press.  Meat sticks to it like crazy when you go to form the patty.  I was really talking more about what portions of the meats he put together to make the ground, and maybe how he got the patty out of the press so well formed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
The only risk in handling raw beef is the fat can make your hands slippery.

Eating it raw is perfectly fine as well.

But I guarantee you GR is washing, but who wants to see that on camera?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Meat sticks to it like crazy when you go to form the patty.
View Quote
Parchment paper.

10,000 uses and counting.

Learn it.  Love it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a meat press.  Meat sticks to it like crazy when you go to form the patty.  I was really talking more about what portions of the meats he put together to make the ground, and maybe how he got the patty out of the press so well formed.
View Quote
Wax paper or parchment between the press and the meat fixes that.

ETA beat!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a solution for everything. You've come to the right guy.  Here's what I use with my press:

Amazon Product
  • Dry waxed coating prevents grease bleedthrough, retains moisture, and makes papers quick release
  • Perfect for separating burgers, homemade baked goods, deli meats and cheeses, and much more
  • Non-stick wax-impregnated paper makes freezing and thawing homemade goods easy and protects the quality

And while I don't know exactly what he uses, my go-to grind is equal parts sirloin, short rib and brisket. Or just chuck by itself if I'm cheap and lazy. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a solution for everything. You've come to the right guy.  Here's what I use with my press:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00TDBVW7WAnd while I don't know exactly what he uses, my go-to grind is equal parts sirloin, short rib and brisket. 
View Quote
60/40 sirloin/brisket for me

Or 100% brisket (trimmed) if I'm lazy (still good)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone have a goto burger press to make them nice and shapely?

Mine usually come out looking like loaves of salisbury steak.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Am I the only one that uses sous vide for burgers?  Then torch them, of course.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only risk in handling raw beef is the fat can make your hands slippery.

Eating it raw is perfectly fine as well.

But I guarantee you GR is washing, but who wants to see that on camera?
View Quote
I will eat a pinch or two of raw hamburger from time to time.Yes, its good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone have a goto burger press to make them nice and shapely?

Mine usually come out looking like loaves of salisbury steak.
View Quote
You only need a press if you're making a bunch of them and want to save time. 

Just use a round form of some kind and your palm/fingers. 

I don't remember the exact brand that I picked up years ago, but this is the basic design:

Amazon Product
  • Spring plunger
  • Adjustable patty thickness from 1/4" to 1 1/4"
  • Patties measure 4 1/2" in diameter

They're all kind of the same. Don't over think it. 

Oh - and use wax paper on the top and bottom of the patty to prevent sticking. If you're really lazy (like me!), I posted a link to a box of 1000 5.5" square ones. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't forget to use "beautiful" as an adjective for each ingredient as you're explaining what goes in it. 
View Quote
one of my pet peeves.  every time a chef says this, another person goes vegetarian.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
on behalf of all humans, i'd like to apologize to cattle for squandering your wondrous gift by charring the fucking thing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is love F Word, the one with James May is hilarious. His US version of it starts May 31st.
View Quote
won't be as good.  

i'll damn sure watch it, but british TV somehow loses the magic on the flight over.

the BBC version is bar none my favorite cooking show both for entertainment and education.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe it's off camera...
View Quote
i hope you never, ever eat at restaurants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm 47 and have one gas grill in my life when I first got married it came with the house. I used it a few times and it was given to my brother as I've always used charcoal. My brother basically never uses anything other than gas which works for him and others. I thus far only have Weber products (quite a few actually) and use them at least 2-3 times a week all year long.

My beater Weber sits outside all the time uncovered and has lasted about 15 years and while it looks like crap its structurally sound.

As far as charcoal being a hassle that's false. Charcoal in chimney, light a Weber cube and give it some time to ash over.

While the coals are getting ready I use the time to prep.

Oh and dump the ash pan every once in a while.

Easy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe it's off camera...
View Quote
He also puts the buns on the same tray that held the raw meat! Cross-contamination!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#41]
He actually got the order right!  Looks very good and perfectly cooked. I'd like to see more browning which would get with charcoal.  Fire wasn't hot enough.

He salt and peppered the tomato which is crucial. The added mayo on mater is great idea as the burger gets some of extra fat and the mater needs it. Mayo needs to be touching the meat. I bet that's amazing. Will have to try the grind ratio sometime.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I sure would have loved to know the portions of what meats as well.  I've screwed around with ground sirloin, chuck, round, etc and never really say to myself ' i've done it!  This is the best burger!'.  They always end up shrinky, breaky, or otherwise ...meh.   My wife sure loves them - which is why I make them - but I could honestly take or leave a burger.  How about a Subnet recipe?

Thanks,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprisingly (I always expect a chef to get a little too creative with a burger), I didn't disagree with any of that. 

Like a lot of chefs though, he assumes a bit too much when "teaching" others. He didn't give any details on his chuck and brisket grind, other than commenting on how good it was and how the fat was just right. A lot of people would probably appreciate some details on the mayo thing he made, though I have my own creation that I'm quite fond of. 

If I have the time, I like caramelizing the onion instead. Grilling them like he did is great, too. 

He seasons a bit more than I do, but I'm not there to taste it. I'm sure it's good. I like that he went with what looks to be a butterhead lettuce of some sort. Nice. 

EDIT: He also assembled the burger in the proper order, which few people seem to get right. 

Thanks,
I'm going to have to try to see if I can figure out the meat/fat ratio.  Moose (super lean) ground 50/50 with bacon makes an amazing burger.  Might get you guys a ballpark idea if I can figure out rough fat content.  I'll poke at it when I get back from appointments later this afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's off camera...
In the Keto thread, somebody called out one of my dinner pics:

I did a cute little "Tonight I turned this, into this" sort of post. Of course, I thought it would be nice to arrange everything I was going to use beforehand into an attractive looking picture. Honestly, I felt like I overcooked the pork a bit (something closer to medium...or dare I say it...medium rare would taste a lot better) and I was sure somebody would call me out on it. Nope. Quite the opposite. Pic #1 caused a ruckus. 

I didn't realize how anal some folks were about this stuff. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You only need a press if you're making a bunch of them and want to save time. 

Just use a round form of some kind and your palm/fingers. 

I don't remember the exact brand that I picked up years ago, but this is the basic design:

www.amazon.com/dp/B000XB45DOThey're all kind of the same. Don't over think it. 

Oh - and use wax paper on the top and bottom of the patty to prevent sticking. If you're really lazy (like me!), I posted a link to a box of 1000 5.5" square ones. 
View Quote
I'd buy that for $4.99.  Go to the link and it's $20.  C'mon Goatboy, get it together!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He actually got the order right! Looks very good and perfectly cooked. I'd like to see more browning which would get with charcoal.  Fire wasn't hot enough.

He salt and peppered the tomato which is crucial. The added mayo on mater is great idea as the burger gets some of extra fat and the mater needs it. Mayo needs to be touching the meat. I bet that's amazing. Will have to try the grind ratio sometime.
View Quote
THANK YOU! A fellow burgerphile. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day's end. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hmm, interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grape Seed Oil, higher burn temp than other oils.
Hmm, interesting.
About 100f higher smoke point than olive oil (~325f vs ~425f) and doesn't add any weird flavors if it doesn't get overheated so long as you don't scorch it.  Really popular for frying things that you don't want to deep fry.  You could go up to Pomace olive oil which has a really high smoke point similar to grapeseed, but you'll loose a ton of flavor in that heat, plus it's expensive.

Quoted:
I grind it myself, and I use equal parts short rib, brisket and sirloin. And after reading this, I've been wanting to try replacing the short rib with oxtail: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

I sometimes add additional fat (depends on the fat content of the short rib, brisket and sirloin), and oxtail would probably save me the trouble. And I'll bet it's delicious. 

I also have a burger press that makes perfect forms - just don't press the shit out of it. 
Doesn't oxtail need to be cooked low and slow?  I've heard it's great, but never had the chance to try it.  There was a pho shop up here that did it, they didn't last long, like most new restaurants up here. 

Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I'm just a germophobe, but he puts the meat on the grill with his bare hands, wipes them off on a towel, then starts touching the bun. No way the bun gets hot enough to get the raw meat germs killed off. And he touches all other sorts of things. Never. Washes. His. Hands. After handling raw meat. 

Maybe it's off camera...
He also puts the buns on the same tray that held the raw meat! Cross-contamination!!!
They also went straight on the grill for several minutes.  While it's not something I'd have done, and would be against DEC rules in a restaurant, perfectly fine to do at home.  Anything potential would be cooked off anyhow, not to mention with the quality of ingredients he uses on his shows, I really doubt he'll ever get something contaminated with a pathogen.  

Hell, I do the same at home on occasion to save on seasoning or dishes.  Just make sure that temps are hit properly.  Mostly I was wondering where the pickle was.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He built it upside down, but ide eat it. Would also like to know the burger blend.
View Quote
This. lettuce & tomato go on top. And he's missing dill pickles.

Mt preference:
Bun
mayo
Lettuce
Tomato
*optional: bacon*
Cheese
Burger patty
Pickles
Yellow mustard
Bun
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I did a cute little "Tonight I turned this, into this" sort of post. Of course, I thought it would be nice to arrange everything I was going to use beforehand into an attractive looking picture. Honestly, I felt like I overcooked the pork a bit (something closer to medium...or dare I say it...medium rare would taste a lot better) and I was sure somebody would call me out on it. Nope. Quite the opposite. Pic #1 caused a ruckus. 

I didn't realize how anal some folks were about this stuff. 
View Quote
the couch commando phenomenon, applied to the kitchen.  i suspect that the most vocal are the ones whose cooking normally takes place over a hot microwave, and cleanup consists of throwing the wrappers and mountain dew cans in the trash.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They also went straight on the grill for several minutes.  While it's not something I'd have done, and would be against DEC rules in a restaurant, perfectly fine to do at home.  Anything potential would be cooked off anyhow, not to mention with the quality of ingredients he uses on his shows, I really doubt he'll ever get something contaminated with a pathogen.  

Hell, I do the same at home on occasion to save on seasoning or dishes.  Just make sure that temps are hit properly.  Mostly I was wondering where the pickle was.
View Quote
I was just kidding. While it's true that technically it is a contamination hazard, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it doesn't sit there long and it's going straight to the heat.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mt preference:
Bun
mayo
Lettuce
Tomato
Cheese
Burger patty
Pickles
Yellow mustard
Bun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt preference:
Bun
mayo
Lettuce
Tomato
Cheese
Burger patty
Pickles
Yellow mustard
Bun
Lettuce on bottom is a further safeguard against a soggy bun.

I do like pickles (or even better, sweet-pickled jalapeños) on a burger, though.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top