Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/24/2018 6:41:43 PM EDT
My 8 year old was so excited for her performance that is now canceled. The ring leader of this movement went on record saying they want to make it is painful as possible to prove their point. Here is a novel idea, if you want more pay, protest on your time and don't leave the kids high and dry
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they going to donate that extra pay to anti gun causes or the underprivileged?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a nation wide thing? They were talking about this on our local news today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Aren’t teachers not supposed to walkout?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Average teacher pay in Arizona is about $48,000.

Average classroom spending in Arizona is about $150,000.

Where does the extra $100,000 go, and how much more is needed?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's in Arizona.  My kids are pissed off.  State law mandates how many days a year school must be in session.  Now the school year will be extended for each day they take off.  My kid's bday was the last day of school, perfect for a party.  Now, it's not happening.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Using public money to do this shit.

Hang them high.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
people worked at any other job and just walked out over unrelated issues
they'd be fired
teachers work for the taxpayers...and if they walk out then they too should be fire...just like those tax payers would be
if they walked off their jobs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They’re supposed to teach.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]
... Sue and vote Republican
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this a nation wide thing? They were talking about this on our local news today.
View Quote
This is Arizona.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My kids' school is closed too. I'm betting on it being closed Friday as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 8 year old was so excited for her performance that is now canceled. The ring leader of this movement went on record saying they want to make it is painful as possible to prove their point. Here is a novel idea, if you want more pay, protest on your time and don't leave the kids high and dry
View Quote
When I was in elementary school, Boston teachers went on strike. About half the teachers crossed the picket lines anyway and came to class. We ended up with about 60 kids per classroom until
It was over, but a lot of teachers came to work.

When I was in HS the teacher’s union had long drawn out contract negotiations. The teachers put it to a vote, and voted NOT to go on strike. They also told us it was their own personal business so not to ask questions about it in school.

And this was in Massachusetts of all places.

Nowadays teachers con the kids into skipping school to go strike with them. Wisconsin was the first place I saw it happen. It really is a disgusting and selfish tactic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My kids are out Thursday through Monday most likely, with Tuesday possible. I've been in the "free market rules" category on this one. Though I will say this: A couple I talked to yesterday, both teachers in the Dysart school district, told me they each bring home about $1500 a month. That kinda changed my standpoint on it. I can barely stand my own kids half the time, fuck dealing with everyone else's for $375 a week.

ETA: I know there's more "payoff" in teaching than just the paycheck, though I doubt those teachers can afford to live out here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was in grade school/junior high/high school in Colorado, the was NO TEACHERS UNION.

Every teacher just did his/her job. Those who fucked up (only one teacher in 12 years) got fired.

I had great teachers. The best in the world.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to two of my daughter's teacher just now. Both of them are against this walk-out, but school is closed so there is nothing they can do. They were almost in tears with the entire situation and they understood my frustration of using the kids as pons in the situation. Regardless, if you wanted better pay you chose the wrong profession. I have been a paramedic for 12 years and I knew the money would suck. I should try walking out in the middle of a call
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought they loved teaching, it turns out they are in it for the money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Propertytax/180schooldays = , right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its going on in KY too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The entire shit show has been building up and the purpose is to try and get the governor tossed out and replaced with a lib. That is their true agenda
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Come to find out, one of my buddies learned this his kid's principal was leading the kids in a red of ed chant and encouraging this behavior. Tax money well spent
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's in Arizona.  My kids are pissed off.  State law mandates how many days a year school must be in session.  Now the school year will be extended for each day they take off.  My kid's bday was the last day of school, perfect for a party.  Now, it's not happening.
View Quote
Sounds like a doctors note is needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can thank the 23 year old carpetbagger from Chicago for that, he's the leader of this circus.   But he's not a Democratic plant, he swears.

Red For Ed leader
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My kids are out Thursday through Monday most likely, with Tuesday possible. I've been in the "free market rules" category on this one. Though I will say this: A couple I talked to yesterday, both teachers in the Dysart school district, told me they each bring home about $1500 a month. That kinda changed my standpoint on it. I can barely stand my own kids half the time, fuck dealing with everyone else's for $375 a week.

ETA: I know there's more "payoff" in teaching than just the paycheck, though I doubt those teachers can afford to live out here.
View Quote
Looks like minimum pay is $36,922 for teachers in that district.
https://www.dysart.org/sites/default.aspx?pgid=99
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Fire all the strikers and start over.

You wanna save the US? Destroy the Teachers Unions and Academia.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some are union. Most in the South are not. As a retired teacher, I am proud we never walked out, protested, or went on strike. Even though we felt like it a time or two.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#26]
My kids charter school is not closing. Don't know what they pay their teachers vs. City districts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fire all the strikers and start over.

You wanna save the US? Destroy the Teachers Unions and Academia.
View Quote
^^^ this
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Send the school board a request for reimbursement until the service you pay for via property taxes resumes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Some states it's illegal, they can protest after hours or weekends though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Come to find out, one of my buddies learned this his kid's principal was leading the kids in a red of ed chant and encouraging this behavior. Tax money well spent
View Quote
Get in the school boards ass and stay there.  I would.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Teaching is supposed to be a profession you do because you love it, not because you want to make money.
Traditionally it was a career for unmarried women, newly married women who didn't have children yet, older women who's children were grown, or the occasional gay man that still lived with his mother and liked being around children.
Just like fast food....it was never a career meant for a man who was responsible for supporting a family.

Now many teachers are up to their ears in debt. Met a 2nd grade teacher who's working on her Masters recently. It was sort of interesting to hear her talk, but at the same time I kept thinking....WTF do you need a Masters to teach 2nd grade?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dude, it is an accounting thing. There is building depression, facility operations costs, and overhead and support. It really adds up fast.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When I was in grade school/junior high/high school in Colorado, the was NO TEACHERS UNION.

Every teacher just did his/her job. Those who fucked up (only one teacher in 12 years) got fired.

I had great teachers. The best in the world.
View Quote
Some districts in Colorado start at 28,000.

I support the walk out
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd guess this is more of a 'dollars per sq ft " type of thing. Operating costs, if you will.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Propertytax/180schooldays = , right?
View Quote
Came here with this in mind. Yall should get a tax break right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Teaching is supposed to be a profession you do because you love it, not because you want to make money.
Traditionally it was a career for unmarried women, newly married women who didn't have children yet, older women who's children were grown, or the occasional gay man that still lived with his mother and liked being around children.
Just like fast food....it was never a career meant for a man who was responsible for supporting a family.

Now many teachers are up to their ears in debt. Met a 2nd grade teacher who's working on her Masters recently. It was sort of interesting to hear her talk, but at the same time I kept thinking....WTF do you need a Masters to teach 2nd grade?
View Quote
Usually it's the only way to get a pay bump or have more opportunities to work on programs outside of the classroom.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Walk out is BS.  They all signed a contract and I get to pay them to go protest?  Dock their pay, time to bitch about wanting more money is before you sign the contract, not after.  My local school will not be on strike as in my area, school teachers are white collar compared to us farmers.  My libtard niece will be walking out of Cherry Creek, the highest paying district in the state.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was telling my FIL last night they should just fire them wholesale. We have two kids in HUSD.

Just to level set you guys, my son (8th grade) has had an iPad for a couple years now through the school and my daughter’s (2nd grade) school all have those new smartboards. They’re not hurting for funds, they’re just wasteful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Some districts in Colorado start at 28,000.

I support the walk out
View Quote
In my area, $28000, plus benefits is one hell of a good job.  Protest on your time, not while you are supposed to be working in a job you signed the contract for.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
In Detroit, during the Mayoral administration of Kwame Kilpatrick, it would have gone to pay for a private yacht owned by the superintendent of Detroit Public Schools.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#41]
How dare people ask to be paid more!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Air conditioning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't interject facts into this! This is all about emotions!

(Yeah, I'm pissed)
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The entire shit show has been building up and the purpose is to try and get the governor tossed out and replaced with a lib. That is their true agenda
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds like Kentucky.  Our teachers have protested twice shutting down the schools this year.  The last time they did this on a Friday, then used the schools buses to ride to the capitol where they were led in chants to remove the governor and to shut down the legislature if they didn't the get increase in funding they wanted.  Taking time off when they have it is one thing, using tax payer funded vehicles to ride to the capitol and demand more money or they will storm the building and shut it down goes against is prohibited as issue advocacy while using state resources and coming from a position of authority.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some states it's illegal, they can protest after hours or weekends though.
View Quote
It's illegal in Arizona.

They're doing it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Around here, graduate degrees generally give a 5k/year boost in pay, and starts teachers on a different pay scale.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's a red of ed chant?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Supposedly spontaneous, but happening simultaneously all over the country.  Riiiight.  Don't forget, it's an election year.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tucson's Catalina Foothills teachers go out Thursday.  My kids were fine with it, til I told them it'd mean staying in school into June.

PS I don't trust those numbers.  One thing happened in 2008 crash-- the automatic seniority raises got short circuited.  You can stay near the bottom of the pay scale for 6-8 years.

And AZ ranks 48th out of 50 states in per pupil spending.  I can't say I'm proud of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How dare people ask to be paid more!
View Quote
How many deserve a raise? How many actually prefer to go to work vs. being forced into this by a union? Why not address the real issue of wasteful spending by inept “govt”, including excessive “administration”?

Nah, fuck those kids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top