Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That's too subjective. I'm a fan of these guys.

Vito Bratta, love his single note rhythms and melodic arpeggio solos.
Nuno Bettencourt: Funky metal with fantastic string skipping tapping, funky grooves, heavy rhythms and supersonic palm muted playing.
Stevie Ray Vaugh: Yeah the dude only plays 5 notes and a lot of his phrasings are copied and repeated in his songs but it's fucking awesome. Dude has the touch, the vibe, the mojo. His playing gives me goosebumps.
Brian May: Amazing phrasing and melodies with some fantastic riffs as well, it's all about the song for him and he has his own style that I just love.
EVH: Dude was the original stunt guitarist. He was able to take all the flashy guitar tricks, invented quite a few of them as well, and turn it into amazing music.
Tim Henson: He's the Gen Z EVH. He's changing guitar playing forever.
Joe Satriani: Love him over Vai. Vai is great but his playing can be really sterile and overly psychedelic for my tastes, Joe has an energy to go along with his virtuosity and he's amazing live.
Jeff Beck: Go listen to Guitar Shop. Dude is fucking off the chain amazing. Just in awe with how he picks and hits those pitch perfect harmonic bends with the trem bar.

I love so many different guitarists but these are the top ones off the top of my head this second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fair enough and I'd value your opinions on the top 5. I get tired of these top whatever lists by people who are just stating their favorite bands that also have decent guitarists. I rarely find good discussion about techniques, actual riffs or tabs, discussion of vibrato, etc...

It's like the 9mm vs 45acp discussion but worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I have played since I was 8 years old. Thank you.
Fair enough and I'd value your opinions on the top 5. I get tired of these top whatever lists by people who are just stating their favorite bands that also have decent guitarists. I rarely find good discussion about techniques, actual riffs or tabs, discussion of vibrato, etc...

It's like the 9mm vs 45acp discussion but worse.

I sure the hell ain't great, but I am also aware of that fact. I also realize that one does not have to be a musician to appreciate and understand music.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I sure the hell ain't great, but I am also aware of that fact. I also realize that one does not have to be a musician to appreciate and understand music.
View Quote
One doesn't have to be a racecar driver to drive a car. But if we are going to talk about track cars, I'd like to listen to professional drivers.

None of us are born playing guitar, but I also don't really care for the endless top whatever guitarist lists written by people who haven't listened to the depths of music (metallica and megadeth are about as far as they explored in metal) nor play the instrument they want to discuss who is best at playing.

I really like classical piano, but since I am not an expert in piano or classical music, I will describe what I like and not try to make a "best of" list since I know it would be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I love what Jeff Loomis does with a 7 string guitar
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These lists are dumb, usually written by people who don't play or study guitar, and do nothing to advance the knowledge of guitar. I will not participate.
View Quote

Thanks for bumping the thread.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
No modern guitarist?

Jason Richardson
Tim Henson
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Poll only allowed so many
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One doesn't have to be a racecar driver to drive a car. But if we are going to talk about track cars, I'd like to listen to professional drivers.

None of us are born playing guitar, but I also don't really care for the endless top whatever guitarist lists written by people who haven't listened to the depths of music (metallica and megadeth are about as far as they explored in metal) nor play the instrument they want to discuss who is best at playing.
View Quote

Well my list probably won’t suit your taste. I really don’t care for many technical players or theory nerds. Not a huge metal fan either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Unpossible. Too many to list and rank.

At the risk of agitating some in this thread, i'm afraid i'll have to add some I didn't see mentioned or only once or twice.

Ted Nugent
Frank Marino
Junior Brown
Henry Garza (of Los Lonely Boys, if you doubt this guy is amazing, look for the Cottonfields & Crossroads video and then get back to me)
Gary Clark Jr.
Roy Clark (was mentioned but worth repeating).
KK Downing and Glenn Tipton
Randy Rhoads (I saw him live, he really was incredible).
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith
Rick Neilsen
Robin Trower
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
This guy and to me it’s not even close

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Not one person has brought up Eddie Wilson… what a shame?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Van Fuckin' Halen!
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Jimmy Hendrix
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen
SRV

Everyone else.

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Prince? Lol

Where’s Satriani, Vai, Beck?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Prince? Lol

Where’s Satriani, Vai, Beck?
View Quote

All hacks compared to Taylor Swift

ETA: you stole my last name lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Junior Brown.

Everyone else is just a wannabe
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Junior Brown.

Everyone else is just a wannabe
View Quote

Fuckin a, i'm going out to the shop, poppin' the top on a cold one, and crankin' up Guit-Steel Blues loud enough for the neighbors to appreciate it too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Frank Zappa should be on the list
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#19]
EVH and David pulling away
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Can’t believe OP forgot Mark Knopfler.   I know “Greatest” is subjective, but objectively speaking, leaving MK out, should be a bannable offense.  

Telegraph Road - AMAZING AUDIO!! - Mark Knopfler - Live 2005

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (Alchemy Live)

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Been to many many concerts growing up but live I've never seen anything that compares to these guys

Seen them 8 times and every time they just blew the crowd away.

Boston was a distant second so Tom Scholz would be on my list
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Bill Kirchen, the Titan of the Telecaster

Dick Dale, oh yeah.

Redd Volkaert, I seriously don't know how the man does it, seen him live many times, and he has the shortest fattest fingers i've ever seen on a guitar player, lol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Just to be different

Mark Knopfler
Glen Campbell
Jerry Reed
Chet Atkins
Terry Kath
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
If you voted anyone other than Hendrix, you're showing your ignorance??
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Gary Moore and Ritchie Blackmore belong at the top of that list.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No modern guitarist?

Jason Richardson
Tim Henson
View Quote
Pre or post facial surgery Henson?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you voted anyone other than Hendrix, you're showing your ignorance
View Quote
Name some of your favorite post 2010 guitarists.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
The best guitar players play the songs we like.

I like a lot but Fogelberg and Rik Emmett cover it for mellow to harder stuff.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Let's make it more interesting.  Top guitarists that you have seen live.  Mine, in no particular order:

Page
Clapton
Alvin Lee
Robin Trower
Peter Frampton
Santana
Billy Gibbons
Ted Nugent
EVH
Joe Walsh
Albert King
Link Wray
Mark Farner
Tommy Shaw
Keef
Johnny Winter
Pete Townsend
Skunk Baxter
Tommy Iomi
Randy Rhodes
Buck Dharma
George Harrison
Gilmour

I'm sure there are more but I am old and can't remember.

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#30]
idk if he's the greatest, but this is a pretty cool video

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (Live at the El Mocambo)
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The best guitar players play the songs we like.
View Quote

This. I don’t care if the guy playing can dance around a song in all the modes and arpeggios or if he just shrugs his shoulders and says he just uses the “rock” scale. Great music has to move you and invoke emotion. I sure appreciate the players that do that and their skills and some of them can make great music that invokes emotion and feeling, but it’s hardly a prerequisite for me. Don’t show me what you can do with the seven notes in the scale, show me what you can do with just one or two.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No modern guitarist?

Jason Richardson
Tim Henson
View Quote

I've got Tim on my list, I stand by what I said as well. He's the Gen Z EVH and is changing how guitar is being played.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. I don't care if the guy playing can dance around a song in all the modes and arpeggios or if he just shrugs his shoulders and says he just uses the "rock" scale. Great music has to move you and invoke emotion. I sure appreciate the players that do that and their skills and some of them can make great music that invokes emotion and feeling, but it's hardly a prerequisite for me. Don't show me what you can do with the seven notes in the scale, show me what you can do with just one or two.
View Quote
One or two notes does not establish emotion.

Go play a minor second over and over. You have Jaws. Now go play a minor second in any of the modes after playing other notes in the scale. They will have much more meaning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can’t believe OP forgot Mark Knopfler.   I know “Greatest” is subjective, but objectively speaking, leaving MK out, should be a bannable offense.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJzlIedCuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

View Quote

If you haven't, check out the 2019 Milano concert on youtube.  I watch it every now and them... Skip to 1:27...
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m saying EVH because he reinvented the guitar like Hendrix and did as much in the development for the electric guitar as Les Paul

And if you’ve never paid attention to the rhythm and swing  in his playing, you’re really missing out.  

Eddie Van Halen - I'm the one (Isolated guitar) FULL SONG

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One or two notes does not establish emotion.

Go play a minor second over and over. You have Jaws. Now go play a minor second in any of the modes after playing other notes in the scale. They will have much more meaning.
View Quote

Well, tell that to David Gilmour. It’s just a matter of taste. Sorry you don’t care for my taste in music. You’re much superior in that way and I applaud you. I really appreciate the level that the newer generation has taken music to but personally I’ll stick to my boomer bends.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SRV
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, tell that to David Gilmour. It's just a matter of taste. Sorry you don't care for my taste in music. You're much superior in that way and I applaud you. I really appreciate the level that the newer generation has taken music to but personally I'll stick to my boomer bends.
View Quote
Again those bends mean something when they are played in relation to other notes. Nobody playing 1 or 2 notes will convey any emotion. You are likely hearing a lot of other notes in the music you like, don't attribute it to one or two notes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This will be a thread of people listing all of their favorite musicians who play guitar, so eventually all of the greats get mentioned.

As soon as Paul Stanley or Mick Mars get mentioned, it is time to shut it down. If Jack White, The Edge or Taylor Swift get mentioned, it is time to nuke it and try again.

View Quote
How about John 5?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Chet Atkins
Roy Clark
Glen Campbell
Tommy Emmanuel
View Quote

Read my mind
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Again those bends mean something when they are played in relation to other notes. Nobody playing 1 or 2 notes will convey any emotion. You are likely hearing a lot of other notes in the music you like, don't attribute it to one or two notes.
View Quote

I think you’re missing the point in what I’m saying. And I feel we are saying really the same thing. Music doesn’t have to be a note salad to be great. And I am not saying to only use one or two notes, it is, like you are kinda saying, those one or two notes played in the right context or placement that matters.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Poll fail
Neither rossington or Collins is up there
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think you're missing the point in what I'm saying. And I feel we are saying really the same thing. Music doesn't have to be a note salad to be great. And I am not saying to only use one or two notes, it is, like you are kinda saying, those one or two notes played in the right context or placement that matters.
View Quote
Those one or two notes played in the right context.... aka the other notes in the scale.

I could make some midi songs or midi conversions of classical music that would be enjoyable to listen to. There isn't magic that happens once someone with a guitar plays them.

I'm all for discussing attack, aggression, nuance, vibrato, phrasing, legatto vs staccato, etc... but don't discount music theory. Even people who aren't classically trained and figured it out on their own, music theory is behind all your great guitarists.

That one note you love, you love because it completes or satisfies a larger phrase the guitarist is playing. So yea they need the whole scale to create that emotion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Ricky Nelson!

Just kdding, but James Burton who played with Ricky is up there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Kerry King

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A few not normally mentioned:

Glen Campbell ( lots of Wrecking Crew hits before his solo work)

Don Felder (Look at all the famous guitar lines Don Felder has written and performed. Not all the greats were shredders). Fuck you Lebowski lol.

Stephen Stills

Willie Nelson (talk about phrasing)

Malcolm Young (rhythm guitar of AC/DC was far more iconic than the leads), back me up @Solo_ ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTjEm2G3Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZaZqx9v3dU
View Quote

Yea, same can be said of Brad Whitford or how GnR changed when Izzy Stradlin left.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you haven't, check out the 2019 Milano concert on youtube.  I watch it every now and them... Skip to 1:27...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJzlIedCuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Will do.    It’s a personal inspiration to me, that he kept bringing the music as long as he did.    All the traveling.. It wasn’t for the money, that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Mark Knopfler should be on the list.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
These lists are dumb, usually written by people who don't play or study guitar, and do nothing to advance the knowledge of guitar. I will not participate.
View Quote
Most guitarists play for more than just other guitarists. Otherwise you get someone like Guthrie Govan (who I am shocked no one has mentioned), who is a fucking genius, has forgotten more about music and guitar than most of us will ever know, yet no one outside of the guitar community knows of him because his music doesn't resonate beyond the guitar nerds. You could say he is the greatest, but most people would respond with "who?"

These threads do end up just being lists of guitarists people like a lot or guitarists for bands that they like a lot, but you don't need to know theory or even how to play to know greatness.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On the top 2 strings, can you play the following basic triads: major, minor, diminished, and augmented without looking it up online?
View Quote
That would be a hell of a feat, playing a triad on just two strings. I remember my theory professor telling us about a woman who spent years trying to sing chords. Apparently she could not do two notes at once. I certainly applaud her efforts though.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top