BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not surprising. Look at the amount of people here bewildered that someone can hit a target at 50yds with a handgun

Subdivison folks & their indoor ranges is the only explanation.
View Quote

The circular splatter target a few posts up is me, at 25 yards.  I can put them all in the circle, but it's a big group.  For me, things get exponentially harder as distance increases.  

I recently joined a range where I can set up targets at 50 yards, so I'll have a go at that sometime soon.  

If anything, regardless of the range that the actual shooting took place at, this whole thing has made me think about pushing my targets out a little farther and getting more practice at longer distances, more often.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The circular splatter target a few posts up is me, at 25 yards.  I can put them all in the circle, but it's a big group.  For me, things get exponentially harder as distance increases.  

I recently joined a range where I can set up targets at 50 yards, so I'll have a go at that sometime soon.  

If anything, regardless of the range that the actual shooting took place at, this whole thing has made me think about pushing my targets out a little farther and getting more practice at longer distances, more often.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprising. Look at the amount of people here bewildered that someone can hit a target at 50yds with a handgun

Practice is what it’s all about. Every time I shoot I take my carry guns out to at least 75yds.  Run a drill banging up close targets as well as targets placed out to 100yds. Do the same thing with rifles. Bonus points is it’s fun taking handguns out further than typical Hg ranges. I think you learn more and get more confident as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Practice is what it’s all about. Every time I shoot I take my carry guns out to at least 75yds.  Run a drill banging up close targets as well as targets placed out to 100yds. Do the same thing with rifles. Bonus points is it’s fun taking handguns out further than typical Hg ranges. I think you learn more and get more confident as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admittedly, most of my SD practice, is at the 15-18yd range.  However I've done quite a bit of shooting at the 50yd line (usually not much beyond that)... Those shots are not that difficult with practice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you realize how slow 1.5 second splits are in an actual shooting? No way in hell he shot 1.5 second splits and hit the guy 8 times. Whole engagement was 15 seconds and he mag dumped this nerd into oblivion. I love how everyone on this forum is doubting Eli on just about everything that has come out, the distance and now even his split times lol. What’s next you’re going to doubt that he hit him with 8 rounds as that’s not fathomable because you can’t hit paper at 15 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, is there any confirmation one way or another?

The Police Chief's correction stated that the shooter was neutralized in 15 seconds based on the security camera timestamps, but that doesn't necessarily mean Eli engaged and fired all 10 shots within those 15 seconds of the AS beginning to shoot.

Unless there's confirmation to the contrary, it's far more likely that 15 seconds is the time period from the AS's first shot to HIS last shot, not Eli's last shot.

IIRC, it was mentioned that Eli first engaged the shooter from 40 yards, bracing himself against a column to fire his initial shot(s?), then continued firing as he approached the AS.

I'm guessing 15 seconds was when Eli's initial hits stopped the Active part of the shooting (or  dropped the AS, or made him drop the rifle?).

Do you realize how slow 1.5 second splits are in an actual shooting? No way in hell he shot 1.5 second splits and hit the guy 8 times. Whole engagement was 15 seconds and he mag dumped this nerd into oblivion. I love how everyone on this forum is doubting Eli on just about everything that has come out, the distance and now even his split times lol. What’s next you’re going to doubt that he hit him with 8 rounds as that’s not fathomable because you can’t hit paper at 15 yards.

Suuuure, retread.

I'm betting he was eating his cookie waiting for the beep. Right? JFC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Nice, he looks like he knows who Christine Chubbuck (Rest in peace sweetie) was. That behind the ear thing was what she used when she blew her brains out with a model 36 back in '74 on live TV.  May great fucks be upon him.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Suuuure, retread.

I'm betting he was eating his cookie waiting for the beep. Right? JFC.
View Quote

How about not speaking in jargon? Hilarious that you’re making shot timer jokes. But you literally thinking this guy engaged this perp with 10 rounds in 15 seconds is hilarious and is a reflection of your lack of skills.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How about not speaking in jargon? Hilarious that you’re making shot timer jokes. But you literally thinking this guy engaged this perp with 10 rounds in 15 seconds is hilarious and is a reflection of your lack of skills.
View Quote

Welcome firearms enthusiast!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a firearms board.  Forgive a poster referring to splits and timer jargon.

The thing is, everything with regards to this event is on film.  The sheriff providing the timing is because the sheriff has seen the video.  The sheriff providing the range, is because his folks have given him the distance to the inch.  Hell, he may have been there and and helped with the tape or laser.  

It is conjecture being presented the information is factual.  

Eli, did an amazing job and saved many.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just shoot 40 yards with what you have....
View Quote

I have all the Glock 9mm's
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Something I haven't seen much about directly is that given the distance Eli and his girlfriend could have easily simply fled.

Eli engaged.

Many times I've seen people say they would simply flee rather than take any shot at all.

Eli is a marvel in more ways than his shooting skills.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lots of 5.56 casings on the ground. I wonder if the GS caught him during a reload.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lots of 5.56 casings on the ground. I wonder if the GS caught him during a reload.

Twenty-four 5.56 rounds shot so less than a typical standard capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Something I haven't seen much about directly is that given the distance Eli and his girlfriend could have easily simply fled.

Eli engaged.

Many times I've seen people say they would simply flee rather than take any shot at all.

View Quote
Oh, dude, you have no idea! Back when that nutjob shot up the theater in Denver, it was a free for all on here.

YOU HAVE A DUTY TO FLEE. Muh FAMBILIEZ!!!!!

Engage a guy with a rifle, with a handgun???  Are you crazy? You wouldn't stand a chance!

What business is it of yours to save people who didn't arm themselves? It's on them!!!1!cheezeburger!

But... but... but the cops will mow you down when they arrive and see you with a gun! (granted, this one has happened at least once since then.)

It got quite heated. The gist was that there are a significant number of people who'd leg it and leave everybody else to their fates and claim it was the only responsible thing to do. And a significant number who'd (or at least claimed they would) engage if they saw the slightest chance. Some of us needed an excuse to run and not feel like a coward, and some of us needed to be able to look at ourselves in the mirror when we shaved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think that's the case.  If what I understand is accurate where he was, where the shooter was, etc.  Their only real option would have been to run right in the shooters path.  If you believe what we've been reading, as Eli moved in on the POS, he was yelling for people to flee behind him
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shooter probably knew (thought) it was a Gun Free Zone.

View Quote

Plot twist: It wasn't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exact same kit?

View All Quotes

It's standard issue for the MK-U clan these days.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Police Chief's correction stated that the shooter was neutralized in 15 seconds based on the security camera timestamps, but that doesn't necessarily mean Eli engaged and fired all 10 shots within those 15 seconds of the AS beginning to shoot.

Unless there's confirmation to the contrary, it's far more likely that 15 seconds is the time period from the AS's first shot to HIS last shot, not Eli's last shot.

IIRC, it was mentioned that Eli first engaged the shooter from 40 yards, bracing himself against a column to fire his initial shot(s?), then continued firing as he approached the AS.

I'm guessing 15 seconds was when Eli's initial hits stopped the Active part of the shooting (or  dropped the AS, or made him drop the rifle?).
View Quote

I think a lot of folks are incorrectly making the assumption he fired 10 rounds from the column.  He may in fact have only fired 3 striking the target only one time before he closed the distance and fully neutralized the threat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooter probably knew (thought) it was a Gun Free Zone.

Any mall or gathering of people is likely an easy mass killing situation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't think that's the case.  If what I understand is accurate where he was, where the shooter was, etc.  Their only real option would have been to run right in the shooters path.  If you believe what we've been reading, as Eli moved in on the POS, he was yelling for people to flee behind him
View Quote

The cookie place (where apparently Eli was in line) is on the opposite side of the food court from the restrooms from which the shooter emerged. The path to run would have been directly away from the shooter and upon rounding a corner Eli and his girlfriend would have been clear.

Literally everyone at a table in the food court was closer to the shooter than Eli if the information about him being in line at Blondie's Cookies is accurate.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wouldn’t it be nice if they changed their stance on firearms in their establishment.
View All Quotes

It would.. but I'd anticipate them doubling down.

At best, they'll just leave the policy in place as is, knowing it really does absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure I missed it somewhere in the thread, so I apologize, but did they confirm what pistol Eli used?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sure I missed it somewhere in the thread, so I apologize, but did they confirm what pistol Eli used?
View Quote

Not 100% but saw a G19 with irons mentioned a few times.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This confuses me. Where are his lungs? Weren't they blown out of the body? I figured exiting organs would leave a bigger pool of blood.

https://iili.io/wrQ4iN.jpg
View Quote

May already have been mentioned but does that sign at his feet say DEAD?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exact same kit?

View All Quotes

To the untrained eye (non-nerds) they look the same, I'm going to say the now deaded doofus was similarly ignorant
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some are saying Glock, some said Hellcat. Still not sure.

To a lot of people every pistol is a Glock, and every rifle is an AR15 or AK47.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is good shooting but not unrealistic, especially if he was braced against a support column.

I am not sure I would have done as well under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, it is good shooting but not unrealistic, especially if he was braced against a support column.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of us who haven’t been in that position know how we will react when something like that kicks off.
Some people would have run, some would fold under pressure.  Eli was none of that and swiftly took care of business.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The police said it was a Glock in their press conference the day after.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you say.... he got....@Glocked
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Eli engaged.

View Quote

He is a young guy that hasn’t been embittered by life yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'm looking for in this thread.

I can't believe we are at 20 pages and we don't know the make, model #, sight configuration and ammo used.

GD is slipping.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Again I’ll reiterate, Eli and his GF should be applauded for their actions. Eli performed better than most shooters would have even LEO’s. Leave it at that….

I don’t get the criticism and doubt some here are putting out. Also it wasn’t an impossible feat of marksmanship either, just a damn good performance against pressure. If nothing else that should be the lessons for all of us.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Don't really care, so long as the law preempts it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn’t it be nice if they changed their stance on firearms in their establishment.

Don't really care, so long as the law preempts it.

Yup. The mall is smart to have a huge list of rules that allows them to kick people out as it lessens (but certainly doesn’t eliminate) the chance for them to be accused of racism.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Again I’ll reiterate, Eli and his GF should be applauded for their actions. Eli performed better than most shooters would have even LEO’s. Leave it at that….

I don’t get the criticism and doubt some here are putting out. Also it wasn’t an impossible feat of marksmanship either, just a damn good performance against pressure. If nothing else that should be the lessons for all of us.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or exposed to GD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Give it time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eli engaged.

View Quote

A lot of that is going to be situation specific for people.

If I'm out by myself, I'll engage if possible.

If I'm out with my wife, same thing.

But if I'm out with my wife and kids, I am going to get my wife and kids out of harms way first and foremost. I have a two year old, and a three year old who is autistic. In a crazy situation like that I'm not going to make my wife run off with both kids who will probably be in hysterics by herself and my first responsibility is to them and keeping them safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Got this in an email from a friend from his friend.  Take it for what you will.  

Got some info from a Simon Properties guy who has watched the Greenwood mall active shooter attack video footage. He doesn't think about the details like we do, but I confirmed a few things thru him.

The distance at which Eli Dickens fired was 43 yards, according to the computerized AI video system there in the mall. The system is accurate to within ten feet.

Eli was up out of his chair within seconds and engaged with the shooter.

Eli fired from around the side of a flat-topped, squared-sided trash bin next to a floor-to-ceiling column or pillar there inside the building. He was shooting from what we'd refer to as a "strong-side barricade" position. Using the side of the bin to stabilize his grip and weapon. The guy told me it looked more like he was crouched there as opposed to kneeling.

It appears Eli made a kill shot with the first round he fired based on the suspect's reaction. His second round was a hit also. The active shooter simply wilted after being shot and showed no interest in doing anything other than getting back into the men's restroom door. The active shooter never fired at Eli, never even swung his gun toward him. It appears that he wasn't expecting anyone else to have a gun.

After the active shooter collapsed, he kept moving, and Eli continued to fire until the target's movements halted. Eli hit with 8 of the 10 shots he fired. It was a blessing that the active shooter collapsed so quickly. It's always easier to hit a stationary target.

There appear to have been bystanders running between Eli and the active shooter as Eli was firing. The bystanders were running for the nearby exit door. Eli was so focused on stopping the threat that he came close to hitting some of the fleeing bystanders, but luck was with him. I don't understand people running toward or past people who are armed and shooting at someone. But people do strange things when they're under stress.

This part is in no way confirmed, but another security guy at the Greenwood mall said the empty casings from Eli's pistol were marked with Federal Cartridge headstamps.

I find it interesting that the active shooter was psychologically out of the fight pretty much immediately upon being shot. That's largely been the case with active shooter incidents since we've been keeping stats on them in the 1990's. Except, of course, for the ones involving militarized terrorists, like the Inland Empire (California) attack in 2012. I'm thinking of the active shooters involving suspects who are video-gaming incel civilians like the recent ones in Highland Park and Buffalo.

Here's a hand-drawn diagram of the shooting from the guy at Simon:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks! I look forward to the video.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

I would be 100% shocked if they admitted their policy is wrongheaded and stupid.  Remember, lawyers are involved.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Eli engaged.

View Quote
@MarsRising

It's different for everyone, props to Eli for what he did, and I hope he posts his thoughts during the process, it's always interesting to hear what folks who have been through it have to say.    

For me, I was spurred on my by soyboi neighbor screaming 'WON'T SOMEBODY HELP THAT WOMAN?!', that statement snapped me out of my shock at what I was seeing and made me go inside and grab my gun.  I couldn't be like my neighbor, I wouldn't be able to look in the mirror anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G L O C K E D
L
O
C
K
E
D
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What weight HST did he use? +P or standard pressure?

GD must know!
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is ine of the factors that makes me think that 15 seconds was the time from the AS's first shot, to the AS's last shot (or when he got dropped, or possibly dropped the rifle after being hit).

That twig managed to fire off 24 rounds. He doesn't strike me as a Jerry Miculek type who squeezed off 24 rounds in 5 seconds before taking 8 rounds in the next 10 seconds. Watch ANY of the videos of recent twig scumbags. They don't fire that fast.

Thing is, ALL the articles and statements are super vague (and none of the shitty journalists nowadays, even thought about asking for any clarification).

THIS article seems to indicate that my assumption was correct, 15 seconds is the timeframe from the AS's first shot to the time his last shot (when he was either dropped, or stopped after taking hits), which is why I asked if there had been any clarification/confirmation one way or the other (and then the autistic screeching began with the. "Just bEcuZ uR nOt peRfeShNul eNuFF!" BS).

https://abc7chicago.com/greenwood-park-mall-shooting-jonathan-sapirman-shooter/12063403/

Sure, I practice hitting beer cans freehand with a pistol at 20-25 yards. Even a twig sized target at 40 yards is bigger, but between reaction/comprehension time, going from chilling at the mall while eating cookies, to "Shit! Some scumbag's shooting up the place!", to PID'ing the shooter 40 yards away in a populated mall, bracing against a column etc. (And as mentioned, taking into account how long a scumbag twig takes to fire 24 rounds; it's a reasonable question. Now, folks can get back to their autistic screeching).
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was in one of the police statements after viewing the security footage, IIRC.

The young man is an incredibly levelheaded hero. If what I read about his GF fashioning makeshift tourniquets while tending to some of the injured is true, so is she. Couple of well grounded youngsters with a great life ahead of them.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top