BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got a Schecter PT Fastback...
Tele-like, but with split-coil humbuckers, body sculpted more like a Strat.
Feels like a perfect combination.
This is the model:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464777/bktaxgwktj05osd8ezlz_jpeg-1862022.jpg
ETA so yes, you don't need to be talked out of it.
BTW, my G&L Strat is super playable. I wouldn't start tearing into the G&L until I'd played it long enough to make sure I really wanted to do that to it.
View Quote

@WhatsGnu and i both have the official guitars of Arfcom..  that and my homebuilt Tele are "Swiss Army knife" guitars, with coil splits that are actually usable and make them sound like Tele when split, and can handle good crunch in humbucker mode.  The PT gets a little loose in Metallica/Pantera territory but my Pineywoodscaster has Tonerider Birmingham pickups which will do ANY style you could do with a Tele, Les Paul or (insert brand) shredder..

Attachment Attached File

With the birminghams installed..
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you are serious about metal do not get a telecaster. 6 strings, 22 frets, short scale length, single coils, mediocre high fret access. None of those sound great for a metal guitar.
View Quote
I have other guitars.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]

It twangs a-plenty.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard to talk someone out of an ASAT.  They are great.

But my argument against the tele format is with standard pups its kind of a one trick pony.   But there are so many pup options now that you can always change it.  They even have mini bucker that fits now.  My first guitar was a tele standard but second was a tele plus with the lace sensors.  Much more flexible, but that was sort of a high gain one trick pony. I guess there really is no argument against it.... Ha
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have other guitars.
View Quote
Do you have something with 24 frets, humbuckers, and a longer scale length?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hard to talk someone out of an ASAT.  They are great.

But my argument against the tele format is with standard pups its kind of a one trick pony.   But there are so many pup options now that you can always change it.  They even have mini bucker that fits now.  My first guitar was a tele standard but second was a tele plus with the lace sensors.  Much more flexible, but that was sort of a high gain one trick pony. I guess there really is no argument against it.... Ha

View Quote
I just don't want to bring three guitars with me to go play somewhere, so I like stuff that fits in multiple genres without much trouble.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are serious about metal do not get a telecaster. 6 strings, 22 frets, short scale length, single coils, mediocre high fret access. None of those sound great for a metal guitar.
View Quote

lol

Andrew Kingsley from Unleash The Archers plays a Vigilant custom Tele. Tele doesn't have to mean the original spec Telecaster. As already demonstrated by plenty of others, HH options abound, and all other manner of features are available, too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have other guitars.
You don't need a 7 string 24 fret guitar for metal, active humbuckers help the gain stage, but yeah, I do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know why you keep mentioning scale length. The only things that are going to have longer scale lengths are baritones and extended-range. While the popularity of 7-strings is increasing, they are still in the minority, even among metal bands.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@WhatsGnu and i both have the official guitars of Arfcom..  that and my homebuilt Tele are "Swiss Army knife" guitars, with coil splits that are actually usable and make them sound like Tele when split, and can handle good crunch in humbucker mode.  The PT gets a little loose in Metallica/Pantera territory but my Pineywoodscaster has Tonerider Birmingham pickups which will do ANY style you could do with a Tele, Les Paul or (insert brand) shredder..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20201213_115015_jpg-1889942.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/4690_jpeg-1889947.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got a Schecter PT Fastback...
Tele-like, but with split-coil humbuckers, body sculpted more like a Strat.
Feels like a perfect combination.
This is the model:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464777/bktaxgwktj05osd8ezlz_jpeg-1862022.jpg
ETA so yes, you don't need to be talked out of it.
BTW, my G&L Strat is super playable. I wouldn't start tearing into the G&L until I'd played it long enough to make sure I really wanted to do that to it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20201213_115015_jpg-1889942.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300247/4690_jpeg-1889947.JPG

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know why you keep mentioning scale length. The only things that are going to have longer scale lengths are baritones and extended-range. While the popularity of 7-strings is increasing, they are still in the minority, even among metal bands.
View Quote
Longer scale lengths help with tuning stability and articulation between the notes. Especially if you want to tune down, there is a limit with just using bigger strings.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuff like Jackson and Dean 7 strings are often 26.5 or 27 inches instead of a 25.5" (Strat) and 24.75" (Flying V/LP/SG).

Adds extra tension to the strings for playing down a step.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although my Gretsch Corvette isn't a longer scale, it is fully playable to the last fret.

A real beast!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I cannot

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Longer scale lengths help with tuning stability and articulation between the notes. Especially if you want to tune down, there is a limit with just using bigger strings.
View Quote

But again, the Fender scale length is already the longest common scale length until you get into baritones. Heck, there are even seven-strings that just use the Fender scale length, so even going extended-range isn't a guarantee of a longer scale.

What guitars do you have in mind, exactly?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stuff like Jackson and Dean 7 strings are often 26.5 or 27 inches instead of a 25.5" (Strat) and 24.75" (Flying V/LP/SG).

Adds extra tension to the strings for playing down a step.
View Quote

I know full well what scale length is. His original comment implied that the standard Fender scale length isn't long enough to be used for metal... and yet there aren't really any guitars that offer anything longer until you either go baritone or extended-range.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol

Andrew Kingsley from Unleash The Archers plays a Vigilant custom Tele. Tele doesn't have to mean the original spec Telecaster. As already demonstrated by plenty of others, HH options abound, and all other manner of features are available, too.
View Quote
I bet you dont know what 90s deathmetal band guitarist played with a stratocaster.

Just because there are examples out there, doesnt change the fact that a telecaster has short scale lengths, 22 frets, narrow fretboards, poorer high fret access cutaway, more limited hardware types (bridges, nuts, tuners), and generally no relief cuts on the backside.

I know there are models out there with some of those features, but generally still dont have a full 24 fret fretboard and poor high fret access. They also dont sound much like a tele at that point.

My point is telecasters are awesome guitars. But if someone wants to buy a metal guitar, they would be far from my first choice. Yea you can distort them but I dont think they lend themselves to most modern metal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know full well what scale length is. His original comment implied that the standard Fender scale length isn't long enough to be used for metal... and yet there aren't really any guitars that offer anything longer until you either go baritone or extended-range.
View Quote
He also thinks you need a 7 string for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just because there are examples out there, doesnt change the fact that a telecaster has short scale lengths, 22 frets, narrow fretboards, poorer high fret access cutaway, more limited hardware types (bridges, nuts, tuners), and generally no relief cuts on the backside.
View Quote

Again with the scale length.

The Fender scale length - 25.5", used on both the Tele and the Strat - is the longest commonly-available scale length for regular electric guitars. The Gibson scale length - 24.75" - is shorter.

Now, there exist baritone guitars, which typically have scale lengths from 27" to 30". And there exist extended-range - 7+ string - guitars with longer scale lengths, most commonly 26.5"-27" for sevens. (Though not all do; I previously owned a 7-string with a 25.5" scale.)

So what guitars are you thinking of when you ridicule the "short scale length" of a Tele - which is the same as Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, etc. - as being unsuitable for metal?

ETA - I listen to a lot of metal. Of the many bands I listen to, only two have done more than just the occasional song on either a 7-string or a baritone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughs in metal & rock music played on Gibson guitars.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody has ever recorded metal on a Flying V, Explorer, SG or Les Paul.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He also thinks you need a 7 string for it.
View Quote
Nobody needs a 7 string. But they are pretty common in most types of metal after 2010. When you say you want to play metal, I'm assuming you are talking about all metal including newer stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
You should definitely get it. Change the pickups if you don't like the sound. I put Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups in my custom Tele, which sound great. You can always play another guitar for different types of music.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ESP/Schecter, etc. do typically have their Gibson copies with Fender scale length.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appropriate username is appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes lots of metal has been recorded on many guitars including Gibsons. Still doesnt mean that the low note articulation or lack of 24 fret access make them the first choice for someone who wants to play all styles of metal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to want one but then I got this instead ::shrugs::

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nobody needs a 7 string. But they are pretty common in most types of metal after 2010. When you say you want to play metal, I'm assuming you are talking about all metal including newer stuff.
View Quote

Though they are growing in popularity, I still wouldn't call them common.

Throughout the many metal bands I listen to, UTA is the only artist I regularly listen to that has done an entire album with seven-strings, and that only happened last year, all of their previous stuff being on six-strings.

Extended-range basses, on the other hand, are to the point that I would call them common. I know of numerous bands that play six-string guitars with five-string basses.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Again with the scale length.

The Fender scale length - 25.5", used on both the Tele and the Strat - is the longest commonly-available scale length for regular electric guitars. The Gibson scale length - 24.75" - is shorter.

Now, there exist baritone guitars, which typically have scale lengths from 27" to 30". And there exist extended-range - 7+ string - guitars with longer scale lengths, most commonly 26.5"-27" for sevens. (Though not all do; I previously owned a 7-string with a 25.5" scale.)

So what guitars are you thinking of when you ridicule the "short scale length" of a Tele - which is the same as Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, etc. - as being unsuitable for metal?

ETA - I listen to a lot of metal. Of the many bands I listen to, only two have done more than just the occasional song on either a 7-string or a baritone.
View Quote
Among most "common" guitars yea you are right Fender is up there, much better than Gibson. Still dont prefer the neck size and shape of a tele for a lot of metal playing. Sweep picking becomes harder with narrow fret boards. There's a reason Ibanez, Schecter, etc... started using more flat fretboards.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Buy the Tele you like and change the pickups.  If you are into Metal and want great pickups that will fit your Tele than Bare Knuckle Pickups is what you want.  They will be (very) articulate with great cleans and can do the Brootal...  They are not cheap but they will do exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sweep picking becomes harder with narrow fret boards. There's a reason Ibanez, Schecter, etc... started using more flat fretboards.
View Quote

Narrow... versus flat. Those aren't even describing the same thing. Neck width and fretboard radius are two independent factors. (And neck profile/thickness is a third independent factor.)

Fender does typically have more rounded boards (smaller radius), but they do have flatter options available. As far as width and profile, however, their common 'modern C' necks are quite close to Schecter's common 'thin C' necks.

Fender Player Tele: 24mm nut, 0.820" to 0.870" profile, 9.5" radius
Schecter Omen: 24mm nut, 0.787" to 0.866" profile, 14" radius

Yes, the Schecter sports a flatter radius, but they are the same width, and the profiles are very similar feeling.
And of course, Fender does offer flatter boards - the Boxer Tele is a straight 12", while the Ultra Tele is a compound 10"-14".

All of these are entirely down to personal preference, too, and will have zero impact on the guitars suitability for one genre or another.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is my new telecaster I got last Christmas...

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I feel like I am arguing with people who listen to a different kind of metal than I do. OP Tele's are great guitars. If you want something with more versatility, get one with humbuckers and coil taps. My only point is don't expect the classical telecasters to have the best comfort or tone for metal compared with other instruments. There is a reason bands like the following typically don't use strat's, tele's, or LP's for their playstyle:

Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Megadeth, Deicide, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Vader, Pantera, etc...
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Oh you.... How much if I may ask?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I feel like I am arguing with people who listen to a different kind of metal than I do. OP Tele's are great guitars. If you want something with more versatility, get one with humbuckers and coil taps. My only point is don't expect the classical telecasters to have the best comfort or tone for metal compared with other instruments. There is a reason bands like the following typically don't use strat's, tele's, or LP's for their playstyle:

Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Megadeth, Deicide, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Vader, Pantera, etc...
View Quote

I love that metal has gone off into the weeds and guys aren't molesting strats anymore. They have their own matte black pointy guitars with 9 strings and djent built in.

I remember when metal players had strats and SG's.

Yup, I'm old.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they don't look xxx-treme enough.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you played guitar you would understand why they don't. If looking "xxx-treme" enough means having a full 2 octave fretboard, humbucker pickups, long wide and flat necks, jumbo frets, locking tuners / nut, then yea I want to be "xxx-treme".

ETA, look at this xxx-treme dude. He's so evil looking. He doesn't use a telecaster because it wouldn't fit his getup.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love that metal has gone off into the weeds and guys aren't molesting strats anymore. They have their own matte black pointy guitars with 9 strings and djent built in.

I remember when metal players had strats and SG's.

Yup, I'm old.
View Quote

Well, Strats haven't had to be modded in a long time, but their overall shape still seems pretty dominant (Ibanez RG, Jackson Dinky, etc.). Most of the bands I listen to either play something vaguely strat-shaped or Vs, though there are one or two LP-style players in there, too.

In terms of the latest craze/fad, it seems that headless guitars are the new hotness.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Go listen to the first three Led Zeppelin albums Page played a Tele on all 3.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go listen to the first three Led Zeppelin albums Page played a Tele on all 3.
View Quote

That Tele sold A LOT of Les Pauls!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you played guitar you would understand why they don't. If looking "xxx-treme" enough means having a full 2 octave fretboard, humbucker pickups, long wide and flat necks, jumbo frets, locking tuners / nut, then yea I want to be "xxx-treme".

ETA, look at this xxx-treme dude. He's so evil looking. He doesn't use a telecaster because it wouldn't fit his getup.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/9760cd07293eebbe6388545a365109ea_jpg-1890045.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/9760cd07293eebbe6388545a365109ea_jpg-1890045.JPG

I play plenty.  Aside from humbuckers (even that's debatable) absolutely none of that is necessary to play metal.

And if he didn't want to have a guitar that looked more xxx-treme, he'd be playing a Soloist or a Dinky instead of a Warrior.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#42]

I like my tele.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol

You can have all of those things and still have a more classic shape if that is what you prefer. While there is functionality in the body shape, a given body shape alone does not inherently make a guitar more or less suitable for a given genre. More or less suitable for a particular player, sure - but that's preference.

In your original comment, if you had merely mentioned that traditional Tele pickups are not really the best choice for metal, I would agree with you. But not on all of this other stuff - neck profiles, body shapes, etc. are not something that makes an instrument suitable or not for a genre - it's all in what the player prefers.

ETA:

Quoted:
I play plenty.  Aside from humbuckers (even that's debatable) absolutely none of that is necessary to play metal.

And if he didn't want to have a guitar that looked more xxx-treme, he'd be playing a Soloist or a Dinky instead of a Warrior.

Exactly - though I won't blame it entirely on aesthetics without knowing more, as he may find aspects of the shape more comfortable. Some people find some of the more unconventional shapes to be more comfortable for them personally, so they may choose them for that reason. But of course others will absolutely go with this or that simply because of the look. And there's nothing wrong with that - I'm sure plenty of us have bought certain guitars over others because of some aesthetic reason. But it doesn't make them somehow better for actually playing one genre or another.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Buy it and play it. Nothing sounds like a tele.
Every player should have one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Talk you out of a Tele? Why in the hell would I do that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Joe Duplantier of Gojira:

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I own an American made tele, one of the best tones sounding guitars I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That Tele sold A LOT of Les Pauls!
View Quote

That's another thing often lost on some people - that whatever the band is playing live isn't necessarily what they were using in the studio.

And speaking of Teles in the studio... Powerwolf shared some behind-the-scenes promos for their upcoming album recently. Among the guitars Matthew Greywolf was playing in the studio was a Tele style.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I bet you dont know what 90s deathmetal band guitarist played with a stratocaster.

I know there are models out there with some of those features, but generally still dont have a full 24 fret fretboard and poor high fret access. They also dont sound much like a tele at that point.

My point is telecasters are awesome guitars. But if someone wants to buy a metal guitar, they would be far from my first choice. Yea you can distort them but I dont think they lend themselves to most modern metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

@Kruger667
Found Trevor Peres' account

Lots of dudes use Tele shapes in metal. Is that a "true" Tele though? It's not to me, but not a big deal.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top