Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

If you have dual humbuckers, it's really just a Tele body and neck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lots of dudes use Tele shapes in metal. Is that a "true" Tele though? It's not to me, but not a big deal.
View Quote

Well, OP started this thread saying how he likes the feel and look of a Tele, but not a fan of the sound... which makes many of us point to the various HH (and other non-traditional configuration) Tele-style options out there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
"talk me out of a tele"

NOPE
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go listen to the first three Led Zeppelin albums Page played a Tele on all 3.
View Quote

The Stairway solo is a Tele.

I'm pretty sure he used Teles on just about every record.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you come across a Washburn Laredo, get it. Made in the early 90's in their Chicago Custom Shop.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just don't want to bring three guitars with me to go play somewhere, so I like stuff that fits in multiple genres without much trouble.
View Quote
It can be done!  I recommend this guy: SD TeleBridgeBucker
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't want to bring three guitars with me to go play somewhere, so I like stuff that fits in multiple genres without much trouble.

I don't think I would swap out the MFD pickups, it's kind of the reason to get an ASAT Tele instead of a Fender.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember when metal players had strats and SG's.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh you.... How much if I may ask?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh you.... How much if I may ask?

$2500 from Sweetwater. My others are all Strats but I'm really impressed with this Gibson.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I've no problem with Teles (never owned one but sure wouldn't mind if I had the spare cash) but might I talk you out of G & L?
I had one back in the early eighties when they first started, that thing was god awful. Sounded thin, looked like someone carved it out of a kitchen table, wouldn't stay in tune, and had like 2 dozen coats of cheap polyurethane on it, making the fretboard a disaster as soon as you sweat a little.  The only reason I bought it was because I desperately wanted a 'good' whammy and couldn't afford a Kramer with a Floyd Rose yet. Turns out the whammy wasn't all that on the G&L, no better than a typical strat.  I eventually replaced that guitar with a classic Kramer Pacer 2 years later,  it was like going from Hell to Heaven.
I'm probably being overly harsh for a guitar I had nearly 40 years ago, but oh well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think I would swap out the MFD pickups, it's kind of the reason to get an ASAT Tele instead of a Fender.
View Quote
Yeah I get that,  I suppose with something that clean you could always toss in a pedal or two to get closer to the tone you want at any point.

Also, keep the telecaster pics incoming all!  I love to see all the things people have done to them over the years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#12]
You could always join the guitar master race. Behold the White Falcon.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Nice tele! I opted for an unburst model.
Attachment Attached File

Here's the other tele I picked up in Feb. I like it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are serious about metal do not get a telecaster. 6 strings, 22 frets, short scale length, single coils, mediocre high fret access. None of those sound great for a metal guitar.
View Quote

You're confused about scale length.
25 1/2" on Teles and Strats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice tele! I opted for an unburst model.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97217/front-laying_jpeg-1890214.JPG

Here's the other tele I picked up in Feb. I like it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97217/tele-front-1024_jpg-1890219.JPG

View All Quotes
Okay, so, you have to go try out with a rock band. Do you bring the ASAT or the LP?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Talk OP out of a Tele? Bruce Springsteen plays one. Do you really want to be like him?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Talk OP out of a Tele? Bruce Springsteen plays one. Do you really want to be like him?
View Quote

Big oof.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Play" is a strong word. It's more like a working man, blue-collar prop.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I heard that motherf@&#er drinks water and breathes air too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
No way, teles are great.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Leo got it right the first time. (Well, second time, since the broadcaster came first.)
View Quote

Actually, it was called the Esquire first.  Then Broadcaster.  At some point around then the Esquire became the single-pickup version.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't...mine is my favorite guitar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I built the butterscotch about 12 years ago, the cream one about 3 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well technically, an ASAT from G&L. I like the way it looks and feels, but I have never been able to get over how every Telecaster sounds just like any other Telecaster.
I mostly play blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.
What do?
View Quote

Learn Pretenders songs
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a Tele that's pretty decent quality. I almost never play it. My go-to always seems to be my old Strat.

Still, I have a lot of different guitars for different sounds and playing styles. The custom I just put together has an odd mix of .12 - .54 string sizes on it, because I want the "deeper" resonance out of it, but I sure as shit can't sit and play bends all day on that guitar. In short, if you have a style void that needs to be filled and a Tele will do it, go for it!

Always remember the formula for the number of guitars you need: n + 1

Where n is the number of guitars you currently have.
View Quote

This.  If I had to settle for one guitar it would be my Strat, but they all bring something different to the table.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Okay, so, you have to go try out with a rock band. Do you bring the ASAT or the LP?
View Quote
LP

I play my Strat a lot, too, but I'd still bring the LP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Can’t do, because they’re the best. Feel the best, play the best, sound the best for what it is. I would forget the asat and just get a 90s-2000s Mexican tele with maple neck, swap the pickups for some Rio Grande’s and the bridge with brass saddles.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I kind of want one just because it's about the only thing missing from the collection.

I also want a Dr. Z amp, a Soldano, a real 335, a Gold Top LP with P90s, a Martin, another SG, and a V.  Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That Tele sold A LOT of Les Pauls!
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Nice work. Did you do the finishes? What pickups ya got in there?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Love mine. 2016

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]
So I ordered a beer colab with Speciation and Zao and I was going through their music a little before I drank it. Look at these soft-ass bitches with their 24.75" scale guitars

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Led Zeppelin 1 wasn't too twangy.

Get whichever guitar is comfortable and appeals to you.  A modeling amp can make it sound however you want.

Of course,  a Les Paul Junior with single P-90 is always the right answer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then there's the other 95% of the equation, the amp.
View Quote

This... the amp is the instrument, the guitar is just the controller.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you are serious about metal do not get a telecaster. 6 strings, 22 frets, short scale length, single coils, mediocre high fret access. None of those sound great for a metal guitar.
View Quote

John-5 would beg to differ.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Stairway solo is a Tele.

I'm pretty sure he used Teles on just about every record.
View Quote

Page used a Tele, a borrowed Flying V, and a borrowed Gibson acoustic on the first album.  By 2, he was using the Les Paul both on stage and in the studio.  The Tele did return for Stairway.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I used Guitar Reranch nitro on both of them. I don’t remember what pickups I put in either one now, but they were genuine Fender. The butterscotch was meant to replicate a ‘52, and the blonde/cream to replicate an early 60s model.

Edit: I sold the butterscotch to a friend about 10 years ago for a gift to his nephew. He brought it back recently and it has honest patina, wear, and even a little checking starting in the nitro. It’s beautiful!
I built him a replica of that replica because his nephew loved the first one so much, and still does.

Edit again: Found a picture of the replica of the first replica and its current caretaker.??
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, I used Guitar Reranch nitro on both of them. I don’t remember what pickups I put in either one now, but they were genuine Fender. The butterscotch was meant to replicate a ‘52, and the blonde/cream to replicate an early 60s model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are beauties, but that white guard is a real looker!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Both are beauties, but that white guard is a real looker!
View Quote

That’s the one I still have, and probably will for the duration of my life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Among most "common" guitars yea you are right Fender is up there, much better than Gibson. Still dont prefer the neck size and shape of a tele for a lot of metal playing. Sweep picking becomes harder with narrow fret boards. There's a reason Ibanez, Schecter, etc... started using more flat fretboards.
View Quote

It all depends on what size hands you have, I know a 5ft tall girl that thrashes hard on a Fender Jaguar, she has hands the size of a child, and then there is Buckethead, he plays baritone Les Pauls because he has huge monkey hands. as far as the sound, It`s mostly the amp. My Mesa MK IIC+ makes almost anything I plug into it sound like the Voice of God.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It all depends on what size hands you have, I know a 5ft tall girl that thrashes hard on a Fender Jaguar, she has hands the size of a child, and then there is Buckethead, he plays baritone Les Pauls because he has huge monkey hands. as far as the sound, It`s mostly the amp. My Mesa MK IIC+ makes almost anything I plug into it sound like the Voice of God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Among most "common" guitars yea you are right Fender is up there, much better than Gibson. Still dont prefer the neck size and shape of a tele for a lot of metal playing. Sweep picking becomes harder with narrow fret boards. There's a reason Ibanez, Schecter, etc... started using more flat fretboards.

Not fair, a IIC+ would would make my 8 year old sound like the voice of god
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I love my Tele so ,uch that I put a Tele neck on my Strat to make it play correctly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I have been playing for 40 years,you NEED a tele!
Pro tip,  when auditioning  have at least a single coil guitar and a humbucker type with you
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy from Gojira plays a Charvel Tele copy. It has humbuckers, but it's also 25.5" Fender scale and 22 frets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The guy from Gojira plays a Charvel Tele copy. It has humbuckers, but it's also 25.5" Fender scale and 22 frets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm yes the Telecaster is made out of Telecaster
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Lots of different Telecasters.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Indeed! I used to hang out on Telemodders.com & machine all kinds of interesting knobs, saddles, and even a strange looking tremolo bar for a Bigsby. Those guys made some great guitars!
Years ago on the Fender forum a bunch of us donated parts and services for a raffle Tele. I made the knobs, but this is the only photo I have of the completed guitar anymore.

BTW, those knobs should nestle down over the pot nuts, they are counter bored , I think the guy that put it together used long shaft pots is why they sit so high.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Early Lyon by Washburn guitars were made in Korea and had necks right off the same line as the regular Washburn models. Got one for $80 as a host for a build...nothing is original except the neck, body, and pickguard.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top