Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Remember Sphur products makes the world great.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That sphur stuff is nice but expensive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Boomers love that stupid GuN JeSUs channel almost as much as they like to say the stupid boating accident joke.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#5]
A modernized G3 with the Spuhr kit wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't feel underequipped with one.  I would absolutely choose it before a myriad of other options that exist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Within the parameters set forth in the video, Ian is absolutely correct.

In true "I reject your reality and, substitute my own" GD style, I prefer the AR10 pattern.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Modernizes better than what?

I'm not watching another Forgotten Weapons video that's twice as long as it needs to be.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Ian is not as knowledgeable as some here think he is,   but he can entertaining sometimes and a lot of his videos are dry.  I can't stand his buddy from InRange and it doesn't shock me if either of them were woke...  A lot of folks their age seem to be woke as fuck including a lot of the members here that falls into their demographic.

Right now when I watch YouTube gun videos I usually watch 9 Hole Reviews because they have been pretty entertaining at times and I like that. However they some content that is annoying as fuck like there scenario episodes and Henry posting his Iceland Jeep Trip videos .  I could give a fuck less about that stuff.  

I am much more interested  in exotic rare firearms I either will not ever own due to price or just obscurity they review time to time.   Given a choice between MAC   and Forgotten Weapons I will watch MAC and I think he is an industry shill,  but I told him that myself more than once .

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ian is not as knowledgeable as some here think he is,   but he can entertaining sometimes and a lot of his videos are dry.  I can't stand his buddy from InRange and it doesn't shock me if either of them were woke...  A lot of folks their age seem to be woke as fuck including a lot of the members here that falls into their demographic.

Right now when I watch YouTube gun videos I usually watch 9 Hole Reviews because they have been pretty entertaining at times and I like that. However they some content that is annoying as fuck like there scenario episodes and Henry posting his Iceland Jeep Trip videos .  I could give a fuck less about that stuff.  

I am much more interested  in exotic rare firearms I either will not ever own due to price or just obscurity they review time to time.   Given a choice between MAC   and Forgotten Weapons I will watch MAC and I think he is an industry shill,  but I told him that myself more than once .

View Quote

To everyone chiming in on Ian's lack of gun knowledge, or mistakes made during videos. You do realize that he gets called about a neat gun that's up for auction, does some cursory research and then shoots about 8 times the length of footage we actually see. Some shit he may get wrong, others may get cut up in editing and are out of context.
All of that is exusable, given the sheer number of firearms he's covered. If you haters can honestly say that you know everything in every video he's done, my hat's off to you. If you are nitpicking about your personal pet/favorite guns that he covered, get over it. We can't come to a consensus on basic facts and history here, so don't be surprised when info presented doesn't agree with what you think...
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

To everyone chiming in on Ian's lack of gun knowledge, or mistakes made during videos. You do realize that he gets called about a neat gun that's up for auction, does some cursory research and then shoots about 8 times the length of footage we actually see. Some shit he may get wrong, others may get cut up in editing and are out of context.
All of that is exusable, given the sheer number of firearms he's covered. If you haters can honestly say that you know everything in every video he's done, my hat's off to you. If you are nitpicking about your personal pet/favorite guns that he covered, get over it. We can't come to a consensus on basic facts and history here, so don't be surprised when info presented doesn't agree with what you think...
View Quote

This. Given what he's attempting to do, he gets 98% right. I could be considered an armchair expert on British WWII bolt action rifles. I'm as well studied on them as any gun niche there is, and when I've watched him cover those he's been very good, with some small details wrong or repeating something that's largely believed but not quite true.

But, if you asked me to cover without deep research even half of the guns he's done presentations on, I'd look like a fucking imbecile.

He's doing good stuff, overall, and most of the criticism is unfair. Karl is a commie cocksucker (literally, I believe), but Ian is alright in my book just for getting thousands of people interested in oddball and historical guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Imagine clearing a malfunction in a G3 while getting shot at and then tell us how great it is as a FIGHTING rifle.

Why will one G3 shoot smooth with light recoil, and then you pick up another and it snaps your head back and rattles your teeth? (it's about those little wheels inside)
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This....

he gets a hold of some rare weapons and gets video of them shooting..which is nice.

But he's no expert.  I mean even a basic level gun "expert" would know what a P38 extractor looks like...  lets don't even discuss his BS garand ammo videos.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Modernizes easier? I'll buy that.

Modernizes better into a more ergonomic and reliable platform with some effort?..naw

Attachment Attached File

The G3 wouldn't even exist if Germans could have gotten FALs. Its always going to be the 2nd choice in the minute of man market.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not about what I think,  it's about the 30 plus years of books I have accumulated and read on the subject he's covering and if I give a shit enough can go back and reference when I need to.  Now I realize the younger folk have an aversion to the printed word and love them some Wikipedia but everything ain't in Wikipedia or necessarily posted by someone a gun board and for that matter  everything in Wikipedia isn't correct .  

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#16]
If Ian can barely handle a 5.56  M4's full-auto recoil, I would like to see him handle a G3's. (skip to 10:30)

https://youtu.be/gOUKXIrDE0I?t=634
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Lol the G3 is just not that great of a rifle and I say this as a devote roller locked cultist
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Modernizes better into a more ergonomic and reliable platform with some effort?..naw

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403210/20210131_215851_jpg-1808914.JPG

The G3 wouldn't even exist if Germans could have gotten FALs. Its always going to be the 2nd choice in the minute of man market.
View Quote

Everyone is free to do what they want with their toys but  just because you can bolt shit onto a gun doesn't mean you should or that is an improvement.   There are inherit design limitations to every weapon system and strapping shit on them doesn't necessarily make them better or more user friendly.   Stoner never intended people to be able to make the AR as modular as it has become ,  that was to some degree a happy accident considering the design lent itself to modification in such ways  when you think about the time period he started designing the rifle.

Even though you have all that shit strapped onto that gun  I seriously doubt it will perform with an AR10  ,  that is based on my first hand experience with Vanden Berg Fal which was a pretty heavily tweaked to milk what ever accuracy was present from the design.

I can also say the same though about the M14  and other 308 rifles that are not the AR10 .
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Neat video, and if PTR sold a bare bones receiver/bolt/barrel I'd pick one up and drag it through the Spuhr catalog.  But really, I'll just keep going into modern day until we get to an AR10, and then I'll keep going and stop at an AR in 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From my modest 80's catalog collection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/HK_catalog_b-1808855.jpg
View Quote

the main takeaway for me is that HK has had adjustable cheek rests available going back 40 years, to take care of the cheekweld w/optics issue. No need for an ugly $400 aftermarket stock  
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403210/20210131_215851_jpg-1808914.JPG

View Quote

Christ, what does that thing weigh?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Neat video, and if PTR sold a bare bones receiver/bolt/barrel I'd pick one up and drag it through the Spuhr catalog.  But really, I'll just keep going into modern day until we get to an AR10, and then I'll keep going and stop at an AR in 6.5 Grendel.
View Quote

You were doing so well, until the end...
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You were doing so well, until the end...
View Quote

Uh.  Why?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not about what I think,  it's about the 30 plus years of books I have accumulated and read on the subject he's covering and if I give a shit enough can go back and reference when I need to.  Now I realize the younger folk have an aversion to the printed word and love them some Wikipedia but everything ain't in Wikipedia or necessarily posted by someone a gun board and for that matter  everything in Wikipedia isn't correct .  

View Quote

A lot of gun books are incorrect here and there. They were often single-source knowledge bases, or working off of a previous book (which was wrong).

Wikipedia can be corrected, dynamically. A 50 year old book on Thompson variants can spread a falsehood that permeates for decades.

There's just the truth, and falsehoods, ultimately.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
To be honest, much of my hatred for the G3 is simply because it doesn't "fit" me well ergonomically, which makes it uncomfortable and annoying to shoot.

If it wasn't for that issue, if I am being completely honest, I probably would pick it over the FAL.  
View Quote

LOL   A European complaining  about European  made guns not fitting correctly this made my day...  

I actually have found most of European made rifles are a tad small as rule,  The FAL  unlike the G3 could be had with long and short stocks.  I found the long stocks to be a glove fit and the short stocks made the gun feel too small ,  most of the rifles were equipped as such.   I will say the G3 fits better with the unobtanium  Namibian G3 stock (FAL stock)  .

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot of gun books are incorrect here and there. They were often single-source knowledge bases, or working off of a previous book (which was wrong).

Wikipedia can be corrected, dynamically. A 50 year old book on Thompson variants can spread a falsehood that permeates for decades.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like Ian can spread falsehoods that permeates for decades just because muh "gun jesus" moniker...
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If Ian can barely handle a 5.56  M4's full-auto recoil, I would like to see him handle a G3's. (skip to 10:30)

https://youtu.be/gOUKXIrDE0I?t=634
View Quote

He has, they shot a FAL and G3 on full auto, at an indoor range, next to a cinder block wall. The G3 had a brake on it and the FAL a long FH and they were surprised when the G3 had more muzzle blast than the FAL

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can sorta do that. I lucked into my PTR-91 pretty inexpensively, and bought the Spuhr handguard and stock lightly used, so total cost was about $1,150. I'm guessing a PTR-91 barreled receiver would be most of the cost of a PTR-91. Mostly, I wanted to try the Spuhr stock to see how the recoil impulse and overall shootability improved, and the improvements were dramatic, especially in recoil reduction and return to target times.

But I also own (and love) four or five FALs of various flavor, an M14NM built on a USGI parts kit, two BM59s, and several M1 Garands in .308. And, to tell the truth and to further inflame the passions of partisans of various battle rifles, the "best"  battle rifle in my collection is a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Boomers love that stupid GuN JeSUs channel almost as much as they like to say the stupid boating accident joke.
View Quote

I find your username very fitting.... For a boomer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is you tubers mostly spread falsehoods ...   Buy some fucking books people and quit working off feels unless you have direct access to some of these massive private collections and can spend decades researching a topic.  

The photos in those books cataloging part numbers, proof marks , accessories etc aren't wrong even when the author got it wrong a couple of points in their research. There isn't a better work written on the 03 than Brophy and Brophy made a few errors to be certain. Still all of the cataloging ,  photos ,  proofs etc are invaluable.

ETA  the biggest problem with Wikipedia is that ANYONE can edit it.  If I want to I can go in and edit any topic right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The G3 and FAL are both excellent 7.62 NATO rifles with a long history of usage in bad places and 90% of the "which one's better" is just mental masturbation mostly to justify how people spent their own money.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#35]
But that HK slap tho...
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The G3 and FAL are both excellent 7.62 NATO rifles with a long history of usage in bad places and 90% of the "which one's better" is just mental masturbation mostly to justify how people spent their own money.
View Quote

With the caveat that 7.62x51 is a poor choice of caliber, you are 100% correct.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Gay.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Everyone is free to do what they want with their toys but  just because you can bolt shit onto a gun doesn't mean you should or that is an improvement.   There are inherit design limitations to every weapon system and strapping shit on them doesn't necessarily make them better or more user friendly.   Stoner never intended people to be able to make the AR as modular as it has become ,  that was to some degree a happy accident considering the design lent itself to modification in such ways  when you think about the time period he started designing the rifle.

Even though you have all that shit strapped onto that gun  I seriously doubt it will perform with an AR10  ,  that is based on my first hand experience with Vanden Berg Fal which was a pretty heavily tweaked to milk what ever accuracy was present from the design.

I can also say the same though about the M14  and other 308 rifles that are not the AR10 .
View Quote

Well if you're "modernizing" a gun I would argue that the vast majority of that task will comprise of "strapping shit onto it"
The effort I speak of is locating available options. And gunsmiths up to the task. It's harder to upgrade a FAL. As far as my FAL goes the modifications I made were absolutely improvements to the functionality of the heavy barreled, neutered battle rifle monstrosity it was as imported for me. And since I'm the only guy who shoots it, that's all I should and do care about. But I do not put light barreled variant FALs into that category either. My particular rifle wouldn't group under 4 min when i got it.  There is alot more work done to it than bolting on parts and it's still not something I would want to compete with against ar-10s.
But there is alot more to a rifle's functionality and modernization than that and let's be honest the G3 isnt inherently accurate either. The FAL kicks the G3s ass in many important ways in my opinion. And in many ways that cant be modernized out without changing the platform. Ease of modernization isnt one of them. The argument posed by Gun Jesus was "the G3 modernizes better than the FAL" period.

Somehow in your mind that was a slight on the ar-10? And you wanted to throw your $.02 in that the AR10 is the best. Well I dont think anyone can really argue that the AR-10 modernizes very easy, is more inherently accurate than the FAL or G3 could ever be. It just wasn't part of the conversation so I didnt include it for the same reason I didnt include the model 700 Remington. They are accurate too.

Will my FAL shoot half a min? Nope. Could it be modernized to do so with alot of effort and money. Yep.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Do you even terminal performance ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m a bit of a pussy. How bad is the recoil from the collapsible stock on the cheek bone?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’m a bit of a pussy. How bad is the recoil from the collapsible stock on the cheek bone?
View Quote

As long as you dont have a worn out buffer in the rifle, it's not bad
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

HK recoil can be snappy   ..  It doesn't necessarily mean it will be  but it can be , depends on the rifle in question.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Karl gets high on his own supply sometimes.

On social media a story got posted about one of the Rotherham style reports and he showed up and complained about xenophobia. At which point I pointed out that overhyped fears about xenophobia and the various "isms" among the woke is PRECISELY WHAT ENABLED THE CRIMINAL VICTIMIZATION OF WOMEN AND GIRLS IN THE FIRST PLACE and that maybe in light of yet another report where political correctness trumping justice for people who had one of the worst personal crimes possible inflicted on them, maybe hyperventilating about xenophobia is pretty silly.
View Quote

I bet he reeeeeeee’d pretty hard when confronted with logic.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He has said as much previously, perhaps more diplomatically. At some point someone hooked him up with a left handed G3, he shot it a bunch and seems to have come around to it.

I can see how a lefty would hate the G3. The charging handle is somehow even harder to use and the brass ejects at about mach 5 right into your right arm. Fix those issues and it'd be fine, particularly if you've never owned a well made FAL.
View Quote

I don't understand the hate in this thread? Is it mainly coming from FAL fans?

Ian's had multiple videos where he discusses his general dislike of the G3 platform. He then went and had a left-handed G3 made up for himself, with the Spuhr stock, the modern forearm, and the welded-on top rail. He took it out to shoot matches, and found that it addressed many of his issues with the platform. This video seems like an extension of that general line of thought. He's put more effort into addressing the flaws of a gun he didn't like, into a version of that he does like, than most any of us here would attempt.

Anyone wanting to drag on that dude should first attempt to do as many things to raise interest and awareness of firearms as he has.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

HK recoil can be snappy   ..  It doesn't necessarily mean it will be  but it can be , depends on the rifle in question.
View Quote

I wouldnt say it's snappy, just different that what we are accustomed to with gas operated rifles. To me, it's more of a 'ker-chunk" than anything. Like I mentioned in my above post, make sure you have a good buffer in it.

A bad buffer in a HK/PTR-91 will turn your smooth shooting rifle into a jack hammer that will beat you up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You can sorta do that. I lucked into my PTR-91 pretty inexpensively, and bought the Spuhr handguard and stock lightly used, so total cost was about $1,150. I'm guessing a PTR-91 barreled receiver would be most of the cost of a PTR-91. Mostly, I wanted to try the Spuhr stock to see how the recoil impulse and overall shootability improved, and the improvements were dramatic, especially in recoil reduction and return to target times.

But I also own (and love) four or five FALs of various flavor, an M14NM built on a USGI parts kit, two BM59s, and several M1 Garands in .308. And, to tell the truth and to further inflame the passions of partisans of various battle rifles, the "best"  battle rifle in my collection is a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French.
View Quote

I had 2 of those French rifles. They shot great. Wish I still had them. Unfortunately a bill needed to be paid. Still have ammo for them though.
I still have the FAL. Used to own a Cetme. Was a fun gun.
What makes me laugh is guys sticking all kinds of crap on their rifles thinking that technology makes up for a lack of skill. Better to spend the money on ammo and practice with the rifle.
I had one of the cheese grater forends on my 6.5 Grendel AR. Took the damn thing off and replaced it with simple forend and a Leupold scope. I'm not into hanging extraneous junk on my rifle.
I look at these pictures of rifles and have hard time seeing the actual rifle underneath all of the gadgets attached to it.
The only thing on my other AR is an Eotech.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#48]
lol I am very surprised to see a "gun jesus" thread turn into a hate thread in arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From my modest 80's catalog collection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/HK_catalog_b-1808855.jpg
View Quote

What’s interesting to me about this ad is how back in the day a manufacture had to also make accessories for their product. Now days if the rifle or pistol is good enough there will be a lot aftermarket support making accessories.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

Ironic reply is ironic.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top