Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What’s interesting to me about this ad is how back in the day a manufacture had to also make accessories for their product. Now days if the rifle or pistol is good enough there will be a lot aftermarket support making accessories.
View Quote

You gotta remember HK was selling a weapon system to governments of the world who had varying requirements of those weapons systems.   The consumer was a tertiary thought .
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

To everyone chiming in on Ian's lack of gun knowledge, or mistakes made during videos. You do realize that he gets called about a neat gun that's up for auction, does some cursory research and then shoots about 8 times the length of footage we actually see. Some shit he may get wrong, others may get cut up in editing and are out of context.
All of that is exusable, given the sheer number of firearms he's covered. If you haters can honestly say that you know everything in every video he's done, my hat's off to you. If you are nitpicking about your personal pet/favorite guns that he covered, get over it. We can't come to a consensus on basic facts and history here, so don't be surprised when info presented doesn't agree with what you think...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ian is not as knowledgeable as some here think he is,   but he can entertaining sometimes and a lot of his videos are dry.  I can't stand his buddy from InRange and it doesn't shock me if either of them were woke...  A lot of folks their age seem to be woke as fuck including a lot of the members here that falls into their demographic.

Right now when I watch YouTube gun videos I usually watch 9 Hole Reviews because they have been pretty entertaining at times and I like that. However they some content that is annoying as fuck like there scenario episodes and Henry posting his Iceland Jeep Trip videos .  I could give a fuck less about that stuff.  

I am much more interested  in exotic rare firearms I either will not ever own due to price or just obscurity they review time to time.   Given a choice between MAC   and Forgotten Weapons I will watch MAC and I think he is an industry shill,  but I told him that myself more than once .

To everyone chiming in on Ian's lack of gun knowledge, or mistakes made during videos. You do realize that he gets called about a neat gun that's up for auction, does some cursory research and then shoots about 8 times the length of footage we actually see. Some shit he may get wrong, others may get cut up in editing and are out of context.
All of that is exusable, given the sheer number of firearms he's covered. If you haters can honestly say that you know everything in every video he's done, my hat's off to you. If you are nitpicking about your personal pet/favorite guns that he covered, get over it. We can't come to a consensus on basic facts and history here, so don't be surprised when info presented doesn't agree with what you think...

He also does a lot of book-based research...and not every book is correct or current.  Even well respected ones.  Also, people saying he's wrong...can also be mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait, they make a left handed version?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ironic reply is ironic.
View Quote

Refresh my mind now which one has more of it ?  

Oh never mind , I remember now its the bigger bullet
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Modernizes easier? I'll buy that.

Modernizes better into a more ergonomic and reliable platform with some effort?..naw

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/403210/20210131_215851_jpg-1808914.JPG

The G3 wouldn't even exist if Germans could have gotten FALs. Its always going to be the 2nd choice in the minute of man market.
View Quote

Uhh...the CETME was the culmination of about two decades worth of development going back to Vorgrimmler in WWII.  It was gonna happen, since it was their version of the M14 (only much less retarded)

The real gee whiz is that they even considered the STGW57, which makes the G3 and FAL seem like PDWs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You gotta remember HK was selling a weapon system to governments of the world who had varying requirements of those weapons systems.   The consumer was a tertiary thought .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s interesting to me about this ad is how back in the day a manufacture had to also make accessories for their product. Now days if the rifle or pistol is good enough there will be a lot aftermarket support making accessories.

True but it is still interesting how things have changed. I think about rifles like the Hk416 and how either the US Govt or HK partnered with geissele with geissele to provide a rail for the 416. Then there is the L85 that got some Daniel Defense treatment. In the 80s and even in the 90s that wouldn’t have happened. Those things would have been developed in house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironic reply is ironic.

Cult of the .30 cal speaks.

Probably a .45 Auto fan as well.

Its ok. Its a logic trap that smart people can easilly fall into.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A lot of gun books are incorrect here and there. They were often single-source knowledge bases, or working off of a previous book (which was wrong).

Wikipedia can be corrected, dynamically. A 50 year old book on Thompson variants can spread a falsehood that permeates for decades.

There's just the truth, and falsehoods, ultimately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about what I think,  it's about the 30 plus years of books I have accumulated and read on the subject he's covering and if I give a shit enough can go back and reference when I need to.  Now I realize the younger folk have an aversion to the printed word and love them some Wikipedia but everything ain't in Wikipedia or necessarily posted by someone a gun board and for that matter  everything in Wikipedia isn't correct .  

A lot of gun books are incorrect here and there. They were often single-source knowledge bases, or working off of a previous book (which was wrong).

Wikipedia can be corrected, dynamically. A 50 year old book on Thompson variants can spread a falsehood that permeates for decades.

Nah man; Cooper was right about everything he ever wrote about
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True but it is still interesting how things have changed. I think about rifles like the Hk416 and how either the US Govt or HK partnered with geissele with geissele to provide a rail for the 416. Then there is the L85 that got some Daniel Defense treatment. In the 80s and even in the 90s that wouldn’t have happened. Those things would have been developed in house.
View Quote

You have to keep in mind though that we no longer have a lot of "in house"  technical ability.  Springfield Armory closed in 1968 ,  and that was the center of development for us.  The SA80  is or was being produced by HK   not the Enfield Armory ..    
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wake me up when the rules of math and  science has been suspended your feels.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The problem is you tubers mostly spread falsehoods ...   Buy some fucking books people and quit working off feels unless you have direct access to some of these massive private collections and can spend decades researching a topic.  

The photos in those books cataloging part numbers, proof marks , accessories etc aren't wrong even when the author got it wrong a couple of points in their research. There isn't a better work written on the 03 than Brophy and Brophy made a few errors to be certain. Still all of the cataloging ,  photos ,  proofs etc are invaluable.

ETA  the biggest problem with Wikipedia is that ANYONE can edit it.  If I want to I can go in and edit any topic right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is you tubers mostly spread falsehoods ...   Buy some fucking books people and quit working off feels unless you have direct access to some of these massive private collections and can spend decades researching a topic.  

The photos in those books cataloging part numbers, proof marks , accessories etc aren't wrong even when the author got it wrong a couple of points in their research. There isn't a better work written on the 03 than Brophy and Brophy made a few errors to be certain. Still all of the cataloging ,  photos ,  proofs etc are invaluable.

ETA  the biggest problem with Wikipedia is that ANYONE can edit it.  If I want to I can go in and edit any topic right now.

Uhh...

LOL
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’m a bit of a pussy. How bad is the recoil from the collapsible stock on the cheek bone?
View Quote

Not good.   Those stocks are mostly to look cool.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nah man; Cooper was right about everything he ever wrote about
View Quote

He was more right than wrong,  and I will also advance that the 50 year old book on Thompsons'  will be closer to more contemporary of the guns than the any current work will be.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From my modest 80's catalog collection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/HK_catalog_b-1808855.jpg

HK pioneered that arrangement with Surefire
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Century Arms C308 has been pretty good.

I think I paid about $600 a few years ago for it. No complaints from me.
View Quote

Just bought one last month for $650. Had to adjust the front sight, but it runs damn well and shoots consistently. Works like a champ with the G3 mags I have a ton of. Finally have something to do with the CETME bayonets I bought dirt cheap years ago.

Can't really ask for a whole lot more. Looks good, with the wood stock and handguard, too.

Can't speak to modernizing it. Won't be doing any of it. Might eventually put a red dot or something on it, but that looks "wrong", to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
lol I am very surprised to see a "gun jesus" thread turn into a hate thread in arfcom.
View Quote

Reddit turned on him after he said there wasn't a white genocide going on in South Africa and that spilled over onto this board. Since then hating on him has been somewhat fashionable here.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Clicked on thread, read 4 pages = Yeap, going how I thought it would.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironic reply is ironic.

Math and science do not favor the 7.62x51 as a service rifle cartridge.

Try again?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m a bit of a pussy. How bad is the recoil from the collapsible stock on the cheek bone?
View Quote

I put an A3 stock on my PTR before I shot it for the first time and brought my solid stock with me in case all the "ZOMG THE RECOIL TURNS YOUR SHOULDER INTO MUSH AND LAUNCHES YOU INTO THE NEXT COUNTY" people were right and I hated it.

The recoil was really tame and not bad at all, and the check weld didn't bother me either. Entirely comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modernizes better into a more ergonomic and reliable platform with some effort?..naw

The G3 wouldn't even exist if Germans could have gotten FALs. Its always going to be the 2nd choice in the minute of man market.

Never heard of the G1 huh?

[

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R099b2c87e0b54435f36a1c94083eecd9?rik=BVmuEu%2b8ZZKBuQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fi.imgur.com%2fvPsYG1v.jpg&ehk=2IaPNowq%2bQKWtf9haZELlHwIACYzsXowbG1xQMNI9cs%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Hence I said "the G3 was Germanys 2nd choice" clearly a direct reference to the G1. The G1 went away not because H&K had a better option. It went away because countries who had been occupied not once but twice in recent memory by Germany weren't to excited about arming them with FALs. They were forced to chose another platform or rely on limited foreign arms for their military.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ironic reply is ironic.

Try again?
View Quote

Fat dumb and drunk is no way to go through life son.   When you can show me ON paper with MATH how the 5.56 is superior ballistically  .. I will go gee he was right but,  since you can't and you know you can't just go sit down and sleep off whatever you have been consuming.

Again ballistics does not agree with your statements in any way.  So besides the fact that you can carry more of the little one than you can the larger one.  There is NO performance advantage to the smaller one, do not go spreading information you can't support with facts .. It doesn't make you look more intelligent in fact it makes you less so .

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hence I said "the G3 was Germanys 2nd choice" clearly a direct reference to the G1. The G1 went away not because H&K had a better option. It went away because countries who had been occupied not once but twice in recent memory by Germany weren't to excited about arming them with FALs. They were forced to chose another platform or rely on limited foreign arms for their military.
View Quote

This is partially true and not entirely correct.  The Belgians had no problems selling the Germans the rifles,  the Belgians didn't want to license the production of the FAL to Germans.  

But yes it was totally based on the animosity created during the war(s)
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
lol I am very surprised to see a "gun jesus" thread turn into a hate thread in arfcom.
View Quote

I’m not.

GD hates EVERYTHING.

Lots of harrumphing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would punch Demuro in the mouth if I could.  Most annoying dude on youtube besides Nutnfancy.
View Quote

he's the automobile version of nutnfancy
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m not.

GD hates EVERYTHING.

Lots of harrumphing.
View Quote

GD does hate everything, some of them deservedly so .
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just bought one last month for $650. Had to adjust the front sight, but it runs damn well and shoots consistently. Works like a champ with the G3 mags I have a ton of. Finally have something to do with the CETME bayonets I bought dirt cheap years ago.

Can't really ask for a whole lot more. Looks good, with the wood stock and handguard, too.

Can't speak to modernizing it. Won't be doing any of it. Might eventually put a red dot or something on it, but that looks "wrong", to me.
View Quote

I want to get one of the old nato night sights and mount that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I cannot find a picture right now, but I do believe my old regiment had an extended stock version of the G3 rifle.  I am guessing it was a home-brew solution, and not a HK factory version ... but I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be honest, much of my hatred for the G3 is simply because it doesn't "fit" me well ergonomically, which makes it uncomfortable and annoying to shoot.

If it wasn't for that issue, if I am being completely honest, I probably would pick it over the FAL.  

LOL   A European complaining  about European  made guns not fitting correctly this made my day...  

I actually have found most of European made rifles are a tad small as rule,  The FAL  unlike the G3 could be had with long and short stocks.  I found the long stocks to be a glove fit and the short stocks made the gun feel too small ,  most of the rifles were equipped as such.   I will say the G3 fits better with the unobtanium  Namibian G3 stock (FAL stock)  .

I cannot find a picture right now, but I do believe my old regiment had an extended stock version of the G3 rifle.  I am guessing it was a home-brew solution, and not a HK factory version ... but I don't know.

Our standard AK4 stock is about 2 centimeters longer than the original G3 stock. We also had sleeves available that would extend the LoP by a few more for the very tall users.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]
All of the legacy battle rifles, the AR10 included, have some significant issues when viewed through the lens of the American consumer. In that context the G3 definitely ranks near the top.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Almost all of our AK4s will be upgraded to the AK4C configuration, we're just waiting for the .mil to roll it out. The AK4D will be the DMR for both Home Guard and regular units.

I vastly prefer the G3 over the FAL, as the former suits our needs better. It's probably one of the best purchases our military has ever done, we're really getting our money's worth out of them.

The AK5 has been upgraded to the C and D standards, but it's pretty much reached the end of the line. The future AK6 will largely replace both rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Imagine saying that anything without a rail built into the receiver "Modernizes better"...

*Laughs in Modern M14*

https://i.imgur.com/CB9SHuWh.jpg
View Quote

Gross.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I want to get one of the old nato night sights and mount that.
View Quote

I could get on-board with that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait, they make a left handed version?
View Quote

You can get custom builds that are left handed.  I believe Ian got his from Brethren Arms which is a company that built me a HK53 clone that takes STANAG mags.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can get custom builds that are left handed.  I believe Ian got his from Brethren Arms which is a company that built me a HK53 clone that takes STANAG mags.

View Quote

They gone

But yeah its just a left handed cocking tube
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fat dumb and drunk is no way to go through life son.   When you can show me ON paper with MATH how the 5.56 is superior ballistically  .. I will go gee he was right but,  since you can't and you know you can't just go sit down and sleep off whatever you have been consuming.

Again ballistics does not agree with your statements in any way.  So besides the fact that you can carry more of the little one than you can the larger one.  There is NO performance advantage to the smaller one, do not go spreading information you can't support with facts .. It doesn't make you look more intelligent in fact it makes you less so .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironic reply is ironic.

Try again?

You brought up 5.56mm, not me.

Personal attacks will take you far, in life.

Try again?

Its fun to watch boomers fail.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Reddit turned on him after he said there wasn't a white genocide going on in South Africa and that spilled over onto this board. Since then hating on him has been somewhat fashionable here.
View Quote

Who he is friends with tells me all I need to know.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They gone

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They gone

I didn't even realize they went under.  I got my gun a few years ago and have had a lot of fun shooting it full-auto.  Definitely easier to shoot it than a G3 clone in full-auto.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You brought up 5.56mm, not me.

Personal attacks will take you far, in life.

Try again?

Its fun to watch boomers fail.
View Quote

Its more fun to watch kids who know nothing just keep regurgitating the same nonsense.  Argue some facts or be quiet Since you have nothing other than boomer .. I am going to go with you know less than nothing about firearms.  But chances are I have cleaning jags older than you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I really want a Spuhr stock for my PTR, but god damn $300 for a stock on a rifle that isn't my go-to is a big bite to take.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really want a Spuhr stock for my PTR, but god damn $300 for a stock on a rifle that isn't my go-to is a big bite to take.
View Quote

I thought the same thing, and resisted buying one for a couple of years. Curiousity won out in the end, though, and I say it was money well spent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can totally agree with that logic.  People spend money on things that are important to them,  I would not be inclined to spend that kind of money on a stock for a gun that sees some infrequent use.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing, and resisted buying one for a couple of years. Curiousity won out in the end, though, and I say it was money well spent.
View Quote

Do they ever go on sale?  I don't mind being patient for one, but I am guessing that they're something of a gucci niche product the answer will be no.  

A sale or decent priced used one would probably cave my inhibitions immediately.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can totally agree with that logic.  People spend money on things that are important to them,  I would not be inclined to spend that kind of money on a stock for a gun that sees some infrequent use.  

View Quote

That's what I run into.  I always can think of something that $300 can be better used for on guns I actually will use for protection, like magazines, optics, and ammo.  Still, if I can get a deal I would probably repriortize and end up with one.  

I can resist anything but temptation.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a shitty stock for shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do they ever go on sale?  I don't mind being patient for one, but I am guessing that they're something of a gucci niche product the answer will be no.  

A sale or decent priced used one would probably cave my inhibitions immediately.
View Quote

You might luck into a used one, but Mile High is the only distributor in the US, so they never go on sale. I'm guessing even used ones will bring close to new prices.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's not about what I think,  it's about the 30 plus years of books I have accumulated and read on the subject he's covering and if I give a shit enough can go back and reference when I need to.  Now I realize the younger folk have an aversion to the printed word and love them some Wikipedia but everything ain't in Wikipedia or necessarily posted by someone a gun board and for that matter  everything in Wikipedia isn't correct .  

View Quote

So you've been studying a subject for 30+ years and are angry that a guy in his mid 30s is less knowledgeable than you? Should he peruse hundreds of books each week, before he makes his 15min video? Again, he has covered hundreds of firearms, there are gonna be some mistakes made. Get over yourself dude. You are as bad as the guys starting arguments over .45 Colt, instead of. 45 Long Colt.

Ian introduces people to the information, it's up to them to dig deeper if it interests them. That's how every hobby or devotion starts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#47]
These are two rifles I truly regret selling. I like both for different reasons and I will buy them in the near future. DSA has the exact FAL I had five years ago and PTR has the clone I had two years ago. It’s just a matter of time and money. I just find it funny that I can get both for the price I paid for my SCAR17.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Uhh...the CETME was the culmination of about two decades worth of development going back to Vorgrimmler in WWII.  It was gonna happen, since it was their version of the M14 (only much less retarded)

The real gee whiz is that they even considered the STGW57, which makes the G3 and FAL seem like PDWs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had the Germans been granted the license to produce FALs (HK was already producing some smaller parts), I don't think the CETME would have seen the kind of widespread use that it did as the G-3/HK-91.  It definitely would have seen some use outside of Spain, although it'd be more like the SIG 510 in terms of its commonality (a few countries adopted it besides Switzerland and the Vatican, such as Chile, which also got the FAL, G-3, and SIG 542).

The SIG 510 doesn't seem to have fared too well in various trials, often being in last place.  G-3 rarely came out on top, even in countries that ultimately adopted it.  Usually beaten by the FAL, and sometimes also by the AR-10.  Cost or availability (particularly with the latter, which had production issues, which is part of why the Germans chose not to go for it), plus HK licensing and helping set up for production in other countries, made the difference that led to the G-3's adoption in many cases.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone wanting to drag on that dude should first attempt to do as many things to raise interest and awareness of firearms as he has.
View Quote

This also.

If someone doesn't like his opinions or his delivery, they can start their own YouTube channel to sing the praises of the M14. We'll call it..."Uncle Billy Bob's Proud American Steel, Boy I Tell You What, Back in My Day".

Ask your nephew how to get the YouTubes and edit videos, and go forth and prosper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top