Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry this happened OP.

Especially in today's economy, businesses are going tits up all the time.

This, and the desire to know how to do things properly, is why I will spend money on tools and spend time on learning, in order to do most gun work myself.
View Quote

This is the way.
I will buy a lathe and mill before paying a “gunsmith”
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From page 1....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
From page 1....
Quoted:
To answer, I’ve called, texted and messaged their business  and owner on Facebook. No reply yet.

Which doesn't answer my questions.
You can call all day, but that doesn't mean a VM system took a message.
Texting to cell yes, but if the business has a landline its doesn't work.
Messaging on Facebook only works if Facebook messages are being monitored or forwarded.

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
State of residence is Washington state. I did email the ATF, here’s their reply:

“Under the assumption that you've reached out to them and they're not responding to you, I recommend looking the business up here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/listing-federal-firearms-licensees and using the associated phone number to attempt to contact them.   If that is unsuccessful there is nothing at the federal level we could do, as no federal law would necessarily been broken.  However, I would check with your state attorney general office to see if there is any recourse you can take.  
Thanks
Seattle Field Division”

From the RUMINT I’ve gathered, this was not an ATF shutdown. With the current AWB in the state, there wasn’t enough cash flow to keep the business open. Which I can understand. But the ghosting is really what’s pissing me off.
View Quote

Willing to name the shop? I used to live in Sammamish, curious to know if it's a shop I've been to before that's now closed shop.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I-5 guns in Lacey. I left messages on their voicemail until it said it was full. I emailed their webpage, I messaged their Facebook. I called their owner and left a voicemail, I texted the owner, all with no results.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I-5 guns in Lacey. I left messages on their voicemail until it said it was full. I emailed their webpage, I messaged their Facebook. I called their owner and left a voicemail, I texted the owner, all with no results.
View Quote

Yelp isn’t looking to good either. No positive reviews in over a year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You got any friends or family that might be able to knock on a door?
That seems to be the only option to make contact.

From looking at his Facebook it looks like he was closed more than he was open.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I-5 Guns was their DBA the business was under I-5 Enterprises LLC which went administratively inactive in 2021.

Book of Faces comments going back four weeks show OP is not the only one with guns MIA.  Former employees started KP Gunworks so they might have another method of contacting the owner of I-5.

Otherwise... I'm smelling fuckery afoot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
On the other site you posted on, if you searched for I5 Guns, you'd see a thread about how they plan to reopen in a different city in a couple months.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never. You're just out the gun. Damn
View Quote

This is dumb, you don't want to have a gun of yours just floating around that's likely tied to you in someway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't make you transfer it

I can surely make you wish you had
View Quote

Harumph!

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Civil matter.
Send a certified letter demanding your gun back or you will be forced to file a suit in claims court.

View Quote

This  ^^
Include your telephone number and an address so he doesn't have any excuse for not contacting you.

kwg
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tell us how often you threaten FFL's to transfer a firearm without you completing a Form 4473 and NICS.
This should be funny.
View Quote

The thing is, an FFL should allow the customer to fill out a 4473 to satisfy Federal law and thus retrieve THEIR property rather than the FFL hiding behind Fedral law and being a theif.

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I would report it so if it pops up in a crime you have record of the loss.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Live by the 10x rule,  if you screw me over for $1 I WILL get you back in some fashion for $10. Consequences be damned
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sooner rather than later. Time is not your friend.
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[/b]

This is the way.
I will buy a lathe and mill before paying a “gunsmith”
View Quote

Same here, good reputable long-term viable gunsmiths are backed up.  I learned a long time ago to work on my own guns in such a way you cannot easily tell it has been touched.  I just bought a muzzle loader that had been improperly stored (bore was great but the area around the nipple was roached).  I took a series of files and then different grits of sandpaper and got most of the corrosion pock marks eliminated and "grained" the surface, finishing it up with plumb brown to match the original finish.  It took me about three hours on a Saturday evening.  A good smoke pole smith would have had it for months and would not be a bit better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

maybe if you lived in an actual state, instead of just the "usa"? since you seem to live at the federal level, it seems to be a federal matter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your state should have his info if he was operating as a DBA.  At least if operating legally.   You can also use real estate/.gov property tax records to find his home address.   Once you have an address for him, file Small Claims and have him served.
Your Attorney General's office of Consumer Affairs, or some such name, may also be able to help.
As others have said, do it sooner rather than later. This case won't improve with age.

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#20]
A highly knowledgeable FFL comes on and tries to provide some help and useful, FACTUAL info and is attacked on all sides by ignorant cretins.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Well at least I’m not the only one apparently.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Call local law enforcement. Sounds kinda stole to me. Atf is probably a waste of time. They want to close ffls this ones already closed. No longer their problem. Local leo may tell you to sue them depending on state law but its a start.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Hire a private investigator to go and roust him.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The thing is, an FFL should allow the customer to fill out a 4473 to satisfy Federal law and thus retrieve THEIR property rather than the FFL hiding behind Fedral law and being a theif.

View Quote

Well thank you Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A highly knowledgeable FFL comes on and tries to provide some help and useful, FACTUAL info and is attacked on all sides by ignorant cretins.
View Quote

Try six or more knowledgeable FFL's.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well thank you Captain Obvious.
View Quote

The problem is that you are not coming across as being reasonable. Based on your comments you appear to be willing to fuck with someone and their property while hiding behind Federal regulations.  There is a WIDE gulf between you not completing the transfer due to the owner not qualifying for the firearm VS you slow rolling or outright not making yourself available for the property owner to satisfy Federal requirements for the transfer and thus retaining their property via fuckery.

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the idea of calling other FFLs on the theory that they gossip like old women and might know what happened with the guy. It's also possible that local LEOs spend spare time hanging out at gun shops exchanging gossip and might know what's up with the guy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If he is married send the wife a message and mention filing a police report.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If he is married send the wife a message and mention filing a police report.
View Quote

after you've slept with said wife, of course.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The problem is that you are not coming across as being reasonable. Based on your comments you appear to be willing to fuck with someone and their property while hiding behind Federal regulations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The problem is that you are not coming across as being reasonable. Based on your comments you appear to be willing to fuck with someone and their property while hiding behind Federal regulations.

Did you read the thread?
Again.........my comment was in response to posts by Krombompulos_Michael:
"Not if he reports the gun as stolen and has it entered in NCIC."
and
"It’s not a false report if the owner is depriving him of his property."
To those two bits of genius I wrote: "I'm an FFL, meaning I can lawfully deprive you of something you own as long as I want. You aren't getting your gun until you fillout the Form 4473 and pass NICS. For gunsmithing, you pay me before I return the firearm."

If you stopped reading after the first sentence, sure, I understand your point. But my man, there's that whole second sentence. You can choose to ignore it, but there it is, explaining exactly why an FFL CANNOT lawfully transfer a firearm "you own". That second sentence explains exactly WHEN you get your gun....when you fill out the 4473! And the third sentence covers the gunsmithing exception.

Nothing incorrect.
Nothing unlawful.
Nothing unbusinesslike.
It's literally the standard business practice of every gun dealer in the country since 1968.

Even more simply, just because it's your property doesn't necessarily mean the FFL can hand it to you.

There is a WIDE gulf between you not completing the transfer due to the owner not qualifying for the firearm VS you slow rolling or outright not making yourself available for the property owner to satisfy Federal requirements for the transfer and thus retaining their property via fuckery.

Again, no shit. Nothing I wrote says I "slow roll" or don't make myself available for the transfer. If I don't do the transfer, I don't get paid. I'm a business and guess what? GETTING PAID is the point. Unbelievable.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top