Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are very cool and practical if you live in a town with slow roads, but a Honda Grom is several light years more useable in every way for not much more money. I could easily see myself hopping on my GF's Grom and heading across country, wouldn't even be an issue-and while it won't match a Ruckus for MPG it still regularly gets 130+mpg in mixed city riding in our lake community.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these things.

Key West to northern tip of Alaska, impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI

These are very cool and practical if you live in a town with slow roads, but a Honda Grom is several light years more useable in every way for not much more money. I could easily see myself hopping on my GF's Grom and heading across country, wouldn't even be an issue-and while it won't match a Ruckus for MPG it still regularly gets 130+mpg in mixed city riding in our lake community.

Moved down into the City (my City is smallish/medium size, think a Suburb with locally owned businesses interlaced) and a bunch of people have scooters... They are useful as heck; We'll take them Downtown to brunch, festivals, 4th of July, etc. You're allowed to park them on the sidewalk, or at least nobody seems to care if you do. I'm still not buying one unless I find a real cheap used one, I have no real place to put it anyway.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I saw that bike yesterday.  I was checking it out thinking it would make a fun RV for the woods.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why are higher speeds better?

I would love to do this slow and take in the places between point A and point B.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He could of used a Honda Grom and got nearly the same mileage with the ability to get higher speeds.

I would love to do this slow and take in the places between point A and point B.

Because it takes him ten hours to cover the 300 miles he does in a day, and that assumes riding flat out and not stopping to eat or rest at fill ups.

There's something to be said for being able to ride without having to listen to a bike at redline for hours at a time...a Grom will do 50-55 all day long and doesn't struggle with hills. Also has enough power to get ahead of traffic to move over a lane, something a ruckus won't do with a clean haircut and fresh shave.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because it takes him ten hours to cover the 300 miles he does in a day, and that assumes riding flat out and not stopping to eat or rest at fill ups.

There's something to be said for being able to ride without having to listen to a bike at redline for hours at a time...a Grom will do 50-55 all day long and doesn't struggle with hills. Also has enough power to get ahead of traffic to move over a lane, something a ruckus won't do with a clean haircut and fresh shave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He could of used a Honda Grom and got nearly the same mileage with the ability to get higher speeds.

Still don't see the problem.

If I was doing this, it would be to see everything, not just get to the next destination fast.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know nothing about motorcycles, do they get 100 mpg like the Ruckus?

Advantage of a Ruckus is no motorcycle endorsement needed.

Also dirt simple to work on if you break down in that mountain range the vid started out with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the idea, but I'd definitely choose a different tool for the job, especially when you can find a shitton of more suitable bikes for $5000 on Craigslist.

Also dirt simple to work on if you break down in that mountain range the vid started out with.

I can get 40 mpg at 90 mph.  I could probably stretch it  to 50mpg if I'm cruising at 65 of less.  I also have power to get myself out of a tight spot if needed.  I won't knock a ruckus, they would be great to zip around town on but no way I'd drive one cross country.   The guy certainly is living the dream though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you describe the ruckus,sir?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fuck a donorcycle, if you can't afford to tour the country in a 15 year old Honda Civic just don't do it.
View Quote

That's living right there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I commuted on a ruckus for a while. Quite enjoyed it. Mine would run 45-48 on flat ground, hills were a joke though. I'd consider going cross country on it. Did several 200 mile trips.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to talk the wife into one of these.

She keeps telling me she wants to get a scooter, we will get a scooter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

They made a larger version for several years.  125 or 250 can't remember.  All they make is the 50 now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Preach it brother.

I would love to see this country strictly via the backroads and not the major interstates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

Preach it brother.

I would love to see this country strictly via the backroads and not the major interstates.

Read "Blue Highways" by William Least-Heat Moon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck a donorcycle, if you can't afford to tour the country in a 15 year old Honda Civic just don't do it.
View Quote

Good idea, that way you don't foul your skirt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I respect him.  Wish I'd have done more stuff like that when I was younger.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They made a larger version for several years.  125 or 250 can't remember.  All they make is the 50 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Big Ruckus was a 250.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  In fact I'm a bit jealous of the guy for getting out and doing it.  No joke, I've often thought that if I ever won the lottery I'd like to buy a car and just travel the US.  Don't make an itinerary, just go from town to town exploring.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 50cc Yamaha C3 I built using two parts scooters.

Got it legal and running good and rode it 20 miles to work in the morning, then back home and 10 miles in the other direction to go to a bike night at a pub then 10 miles back home.

Sweet day of just cruising at 40 mph on the access road of 35 doing my own thing.

Didn't a guy ride an fjr1300 from Alaska to Florida in like 50 hours?

That's taking it to the other extreme.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Wan lee..... this dudes a chump compaired to wan...

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/130-0901-honda-ruckus-wan-lees/
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
He had to do the 150cc GY6 engine swap.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a Ruckus (currently R1200GS). In Ohio it requires a motorcycle endorsement. I'm NFL linebacker size and could only hit 38mph. Range exceeded 100mi on just over 1 gallon. Flat out around the neighborhood was a hoot. Incredibly manuverable with the little tires. Any roads with 45mph plus speedlimits were unnerving with traffic on your tail. 200mi day was painful. If I had the room I'd have another (or a Grom--those are entertaining too).

It is Chinese made, IIRC. First engine block cracked at the crankshaft (<50mi) and left me bike less for weeks while Honda decided what to do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
50cc engine and lucky to see 35-40mph.
View Quote

You can really mod the help out of those things

A bunch of my friends have them. They're like a retarded midget biker gang/circus act wherever they go
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the idea, but I'd definitely choose a different tool for the job, especially when you can find a shitton of more suitable bikes for $5000 on Craigslist.

My GS500E could get 60mpg. Yeah it's almost half of the ruckus but it had usable power for highway riding and could actually get to 110mph without trouble. Oh and I paid $1200 for mine at the time :)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Cannonball Baker ran Staten island NY to Los Angeles CA on the 1921 equal of a Ruckus - the Ner-A-Car

That was before there was a Route 66.  A bit of reading, but worth the time:

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/history/36-history-stories/268-how-i-crossed-america-on-neracar

Top speed of 35 mph.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I was really drunk one night with my best friend and went on a 10 minute thing about how we should get Toyota 4 runners and just travel the country and live in the woods, and at night we can open the trunks and back them up to each other and they will become one large Toyota 4 runner cabin and we would just do this for many years. No homo
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He had to do the 150cc GY6 engine swap.
View Quote

Sounds like it actually stayed together so I'm going to say no.

Probably just a stock ruckus with a few comfort mods.
Cell phone holder and hand guards ect.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was really drunk one night with my best friend and went on a 10 minute thing about how we should get Toyota 4 runners and just travel the country and live in the woods, and at night we can open the trunks and back them up to each other and they will become one large Toyota 4 runner cabin and we would just do this for many years. No homo
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
More power to him, but I look at that and think it doesn't even look like fun, just misery.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#29]
getting flashbacks of Dumb and Dumber . . .
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit, I agree. It's not like climbing Everest. Almost anyone could do this on a budget. I wonder how many nights he stayed at a hotel or something similar.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Man some of you guys are stick in the mud types.  I guess it's one of those things you either get or you don't.  I've driven across the country several times in my Tacomas and all over the Southeast on motorcycles but I've also been all over Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and the Philippines on 250 dual sports and scooters- sure there are some sucky times like getting caught in a massive rain storm on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere or being on the road well after dark trying to find a place to stay or getting food poisoning while on the road but it's always an adventure.  If your idea of roughing it is a family picnic at the local park that's fine, but denigrating someone for getting out there in the weather and seeing what the countryside is really like is pretty sad in my opinion.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't get much above 35 and are slow to do so... How is he getting around? (can't watch the vid) The Ruckus is too under-powered to be legal on the Interstate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these things.

Key West to northern tip of Alaska, impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8t5WWYctI

They don't get much above 35 and are slow to do so... How is he getting around? (can't watch the vid) The Ruckus is too under-powered to be legal on the Interstate.

When I read the title, I thought "Shit, that's got to take a while!" Personally I'd prefer a bigger bike, but good for him. He's living the dream.

I got a tiny taste of that level of freedom when I took 2 weeks off to make the pilgrimage to Cola West. I've spent a lot of time thinking about selling all my shit, quitting my job and getting an adventure bike.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Man some of you guys are stick in the mud types.  I guess it's one of those things you either get or you don't.  I've driven across the country several times in my Tacomas and all over the Southeast on motorcycles but I've also been all over Malaysia, Thailand, Laos and the Philippines on 250 dual sports and scooters- sure there are some sucky times like getting caught in a massive rain storm on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere or being on the road well after dark trying to find a place to stay or getting food poisoning while on the road but it's always an adventure.  If your idea of roughing it is a family picnic at the local park that's fine, but denigrating someone for getting out there in the weather and seeing what the countryside is really like is pretty sad in my opinion.  

View Quote

Just imagine the bashing if he had done this on a Harley!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#34]
That sounds boring as hell.  He should have used a Grom.

Nothing remotely fun about a Ruckus.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 2000 Virago will do 35-40 if I don't play the BRRAAAAPPPPP game too much. My Ninja would easily do 50 mpg, although it wasn't comfortable for long trips. But there are definitely bikes you could set up to do 60-70 mpg in relative comfort.

Motorcycle endorsement is not even remotely challenging to get. If you're new to riding, the MSF classes are invaluable and get you your endorsement; if you're not new to riding then take the test and you're done.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My 2000 Virago will do 35-40 if I don't play the BRRAAAAPPPPP game too much. My Ninja would easily do 50 mpg, although it wasn't comfortable for long trips. But there are definitely bikes you could set up to do 60-70 mpg in relative comfort.

Motorcycle endorsement is not even remotely challenging to get. If you're new to riding, the MSF classes are invaluable and get you your endorsement; if you're not new to riding then take the test and you're done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a 250 Virago for my wife to learn on and that thing averaged 65-70 mpg and would top out about 80mph with her on it.  It sucked ass doing 300 mile days on it though and she did several with our ride group.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife actually wants one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Two years ago, I was getting fuel at a station in Nacogdoches (east Texas) when I saw a fellow ride up on a nice Honda Trail 90.  I rode one of those when I was a kid in the 70's.  

Turned out he was from Wisconsin.  Got laid off a few weeks before so he sold everything he owned (except the Honda) and decided to explore America.  On a fucking Trail 90.  Patience of Job and an ass of iron.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Backroads I guess, he says he does 300 miles a day.
View Quote
Couple guys *tried* to go cross country on some Chinese scooters from Pep Boys

the did the back road thing , didn't make it though the Chinese scooters died after about 1500 miles IIRC

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#40]
My brother-in-law and his wife did essentially the same thing in one of these for about 4 or 5 months.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Seeing the country slow on the backroads has advantages to being on a bike going fast on the interstate.

I totally get this guy on the Ruckus's mindset.

It is like the guys that only want to haul ass in a cigarette boat in FL and not explore all the cool inlets and stuff slow and quiet.
View Quote
Thing is, you get bit bigger and faster bike, you can still see the country on the backroads, but also have the opportunity to hit the interstate, or go faster on those backroads if all the terrain in that area is basically the same.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

a fast bike can go slow

a slow bike cannot go fast.

Higher speeds are not always better.  Options are always better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I bought a 250 Virago for my wife to learn on and that thing averaged 65-70 mpg and would top out about 80mph with her on it.  It sucked ass doing 300 mile days on it though and she did several with our ride group.
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/10872830_1011894478824976_758564366952848762_o_zpssikro7kq.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/10872830_1011894478824976_758564366952848762_o_zpssikro7kq.jpg

Mine is a 750. At times I think the 1100 would be fun but I think 750 is a good compromise for most types of rides.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#44]
You guys ever watch Long Way Round? Dream adventure.

Long Way Round (LWR) is a British documentary television series, DVD set and book documenting the 19,000-mile (31,000 km) journey of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman from London to New York City on motorcycles. They travelled eastwards through Europe and Asia, flew to Alaska, and continued by road from there to New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#45]
The guy is doing it the right way.  Keep is simple as possible.   Over 10 years ago, did something similar.  Took a DRZ400 across Siberia and Mongolia.  Think about that trip every day.   Afterwards, was going to take off a year a travel around the whole world.  Unfortunately, it was 2007, the economy took a dump, and I got married.  
Hat off to the guy, do it while you can
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Sw8YUnS.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Long Way Round (LWR) is a British documentary television series, DVD set and book documenting the 19,000-mile (31,000 km) journey of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman from London to New York City on motorcycles. They travelled eastwards through Europe and Asia, flew to Alaska, and continued by road from there to New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

http://i.imgur.com/Sw8YUnS.jpg

I've watched Long Way Round and Long Way Down at least 3 times.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The guy is doing it the right way.  Keep is simple as possible.   Over 10 years ago, did something similar.  Took a DRZ400 across Siberia and Mongolia.  Think about that trip every day.   Afterwards, was going to take off a year a travel around the whole world.  Unfortunately, it was 2007, the economy took a dump, and I got married.  
Hat off to the guy, do it while you can
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/hilojoe/DSC00224.jpg
View Quote

I'm extremely jealous. I'd love to make a trip like that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I'll do it on a KTM.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen brother!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:52:14 AM EDT
[#50]
My wife and I had one.

Fun little beast.  I miss it
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top