BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of these but it says Walther on the side of it.
View Quote

Yes, because in 8, nobody has left a single post differentiating between the VP9 and the PPQ.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, because in 8, nobody has left a single post differentiating between the VP9 and the PPQ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK the PPQ.

The VP9 is a P99 copy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't get the HK hate, it's as if some of you are taking it more personal. As for me, I'm buying it
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

FUCK the PPQ.

The VP9 is a P99 copy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK the PPQ.

The VP9 is a P99 copy.

Because all guns these days are completely original and not inspired by any other designs?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because all guns these days are completely original and not inspired by any other designs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK the PPQ.

The VP9 is a P99 copy.

Except the VP9's grip shape is nearly identical to that of the P99, as well as the rear of the slide being eerily similar.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't get the HK hate, it's as if some of you are taking it more personal. As for me, I'm buying it
View Quote

I would consider it if they make a compact version.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Except the VP9's grip shape is nearly identical to that of the P99, as well as the rear of the slide being eerily similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK the PPQ.

The VP9 is a P99 copy.

Idk, the proportions of the P99 and PPQ seem more hipoint-esque than the VP9.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that idea, as I'm not too thrilled with the 9c at the moment. She shoots lousy with 115 FMJ fodder, while my Shield shoots dead center six o'clock hold all the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered one over the weekend for $599, then ordered some mags from Midway for $43 ea. I've never purchased a firearm w/o hands on first, but I'm really anxious to get this one.  That price is a no-brainer for this thing. First HK for me (for those comments about only will sell to HK fans).   Always wanted to try an HK but price always stopped me - and that every hammer gun I've bought in the past I've sold.   I too think they will sell a lot of these.   I have Glocks - my carry G19 is stippled, reduced, XS sights, ATE machined slide, Cerakoated, etc.  but hey, now it fits me     Also have M&Ps (they have Apex parts and are stippled) and XDs.  I'm a Glock armorer and I respect the simplicity and design that went into them.  But there's a quality feel about HKs to me that makes for a different experience shooting  them. And yes I do like the paddle release better. I just enjoy firearms and like trying new ones that catch my attention. Has nothing to do w/ brand loyalty or bashing those I don't like - they're just tools that happen to be fun to use. Who cares what brand shooters are buying, just keep buying them to support the industry.  
To those that say people won't pony up the extra money for the VP9 - I've got two GSSF coupons sitting in my safe that get me gen 4 Glocks for $425 anytime I want, and I just ordered the HK. Weird.
Thanks to posts like Razzman's and WesJanson's that make sifting through these threads worth while.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]

The VP 9 is .14" wider, .06" longer, and .42" taller than the Glock 19 gen 3. It is also 1.9 oz heavier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Id buy one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/thearizonacowboy/Glock19vsHKVP9-B_zps7588079d.jpg

The VP 9 is .14" wider, .06" longer, and .42" taller than the Glock 19 gen 3. It is also 1.9 oz heavier.
View Quote

So, its basically a G19 made for human hands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/thearizonacowboy/Glock19vsHKVP9-B_zps7588079d.jpg

Exactly! As much as I love my Glock 19, I think the VP9 will replace it for CCW duty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize this new HK was this small.  That size and a reasonable price... this could actually really go somewhere.  That G19 size envelope is by far the biggest thing it has going for it.  I've wondered for years why there are so few guns in that size.  The M&P 45C is sized almost exactly like a G19, but their 9mm guns are either too big or too small for that G19 "sweet spot".
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure why people are comparing this pistol to the Glock 19. This is a full size duty pistol. It is the same height as the Glock 17.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why people are comparing this pistol to the Glock 19. This is a full size duty pistol. It is the same height as the Glock 17.
View Quote

Because Glock 19 is #1

And it carries the same amount of rounds as the 19
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]

i'm sure it'll shoot well and be of relatively high quality. i'm also sure they'll sell every one they make.

that said, that's one ugly fucking pistol...

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]

I've been trying to point that out since the leaked "SFP9" photo appeared.

At least two of the very early review videos of the VP9 have the shooter holding down the slide stop lever so the slide fails to lock open on the last shot.

There is a real disconnect between manufacturers and the current state of the art in defensive pistolcraft techniques.  They just do not know or understand what the modern two handed grip is... I say "modern", it was in Ayoob's books in the 80s so it's really not all that new.

You almost need a thumb safety, or a thumb rest where a safety would be, to keep your thumb off the slide stop on most of the more recent pistols, and that's from many different manufacturers.  I thought HK would be better than that, instead its about the worst offender.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How is this even a problem in a Kydex holster if you keep your booger hook off the bang switch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't understand the vogue for superlight, short trigger pulls on pistols with no active safeties.  Well, I do - light triggers are easier to shoot - but the calculus is all wrong for me.  4¼ lbs. is a light trigger, and walking around with one of these strikes me as slightly less prudent than carrying a condition 0 1911, which at least has a grip safety to protect you from drawstrings and pocket lint.  I know, this is your safety.  It's your leg/femoral artery/dick, too...

Seems odd to me as well. Even Hickok45, who prefers striker fired pistols, stated that he wouldn't carry the PPQ due to the light trigger. If this HK is even lighter, yikes.

How is this even a problem in a Kydex holster if you keep your booger hook off the bang switch?

Because people make mistakes.  They put their fingers in trigger guards when they shouldn't, and often without realizing it.  

Would you carry a pistol with a 6 ounce trigger pull?  I mean, it's in Kydex, right, and you know the four rules, so what's the problem?  If your answer is (as I hope) no, why not, and if not, at what point does a trigger become too light for you?  For me, it's around 6½ - 7 lbs. without a safety.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because people make mistakes.  They put their fingers in trigger guards when they shouldn't, and often without realizing it.  

Would you carry a pistol with a 6 ounce trigger pull?  I mean, it's in Kydex, right, and you know the four rules, so what's the problem?  If your answer is (as I hope) no, why not, and if not, at what point does a trigger become too light for you?  For me, it's around 6½ - 7 lbs. without a safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't understand the vogue for superlight, short trigger pulls on pistols with no active safeties.  Well, I do - light triggers are easier to shoot - but the calculus is all wrong for me.  4¼ lbs. is a light trigger, and walking around with one of these strikes me as slightly less prudent than carrying a condition 0 1911, which at least has a grip safety to protect you from drawstrings and pocket lint.  I know, this is your safety.  It's your leg/femoral artery/dick, too...

Seems odd to me as well. Even Hickok45, who prefers striker fired pistols, stated that he wouldn't carry the PPQ due to the light trigger. If this HK is even lighter, yikes.

My M&P 9c w/ Apex sear & RAM breaks just under 4lbs. Perfect weight to me, but the reset -while short- still has below average feedback. When I carry it, it's almost  always done AIWB.   No worries. Reputable trainers tend to put a premium on reholstering slooowly. Even advocating looking the gun into the holster is not a bad idea. Those NDs are typically complacently related.  It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My M&P 9c w/ Apex sear & RAM breaks just under 4lbs. Perfect weight to me, but the reset -while short- still has below average feedback. When I carry it, it's almost  always done AIWB.   No worries. Reputable trainers tend to put a premium on reholstering slooowly. Even advocating looking the gun into the holster is not a bad idea. Those NDs are typically complacently related.  It's not rocket science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What Wheelhouse said.. If you use a decent holster and look where you're putting the damn thing you are generally ok.  It has been one HELL of an adjustment for me, as I carried (and mostly still carry) a Sig P228, but I'm slowly starting to feel better with my PPQ.  The reason I'm switching is I like the lower weight, the trigger rocks, and the ergos are majorly improved for my little girly hands.  I would say that the PPQ is probably the best deal out there for handguns at this point... I had to get it when I tried the trigger, my dealer offered me one for $525.  Wife is still annoyed about me just buying one but she likes it too so I might have to buy another.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

At least two of the very early review videos of the VP9 have the shooter holding down the slide stop lever so the slide fails to lock open on the last shot.

There is a real disconnect between manufacturers and the current state of the art in defensive pistolcraft techniques.  They just do not know or understand what the modern two handed grip is... I say "modern", it was in Ayoob's books in the 80s so it's really not all that new.

You almost need a thumb safety, or a thumb rest where a safety would be, to keep your thumb off the slide stop on most of the more recent pistols, and that's from many different manufacturers.  I thought HK would be better than that, instead its about the worst offender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's a big disappointment. Slide stop placement is the reason I sold my P226. It ruined the gun for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I've switched my grip to keep my shooting hand thumb on top of my support thumb. It's what Jeff Gonzales calls "Dog humping dog". I can keep any gun from locking open on empty including Glocks unless I changed my grip. For me it's any semi auto other than a 1911. Big thumbs I guess.

Quoted:

That's a big disappointment. Slide stop placement is the reason I sold my P226. It ruined the gun for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not for me.  I screw up stuff that isn't rocket science from time to time.  I am nervous enough with my ~7lb Glock trigger AIWB.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've switched my grip to keep my shooting hand thumb on top of my support thumb. It's what Jeff Gonzales calls "Dog humping dog". I can keep any gun from locking open on empty including Glocks unless I changed my grip. For me it's any semi auto other than a 1911. Big thumbs I guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a simple training issue.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why should we train around ergonomic screwups?  "Simple" would be making the firearm correctly so that it doesn't require workarounds.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#27]
5.4lb trigger pull?  Sounds like HK finally reverse engineered a the Walther Quick Defense trigger.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Congratulations HK....you now really have created an overcomplicated Glock.

And shorted it two rounds.......
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#29]
The definition of "correctly" is different from one person to another. In my case, I can shoot Sigs, HKs, etc without any issue with the slide lock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:58:32 AM EDT
[#30]
There's so much hate for this thing, it's actually quite funny.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]

I've actually shot one.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've actually shot one.  
View Quote

What are your opinions on it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's taken them roughly 25 years to catch up to the modern world of handguns.  There were expectations.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've actually shot one.  

The bore axis is too high for me, but wtf do I know...I don't like Sigs for this reason and lots of guys shoot Sigs.  How they could take a great hammer gun like the P30 and actually raise the axis of the bore in a striker gun just leaves me flummoxed.  

I have big hands.  No problems at all with the slide stop.  

The plastic ears are ghey.  

The trigger safety seems really complex.

The trigger is *really* nice.  A very shootable gun if ever there were one.

Placed on top of a PPQ...they are nearly identical and practically indistinguishable.

For a sub $700 HK...they are gonna sell a metric shit ton of them.

Guys who shoot it want it.  And that's what makes the world go 'round.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:53:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The bore axis is too high for me, but wtf do I know...I don't like Sigs for this reason and lots of guys shoot Sigs.  How they could take a great hammer gun like the P30 and actually raise the axis of the bore in a striker gun just leaves me flummoxed.  

Placed on top of a PPQ...they are nearly identical and practically indistinguishable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually shot one.  

Yup, and one of those buyers will be me. Arfcom is funny though, some of the best guns to guys like me which have no issues at all, are the ones they hate, and the worst is the ones they love.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I will be picking one up

*with 10 rd mags ... FUCK YOU CT

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Why should we train around ergonomic screwups?  "Simple" would be making the firearm correctly so that it doesn't require workarounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this. I'm not going to change a grip that works on mostly everything to accommodate a couple of guns with a design flaw.

I won't rule out the VP9 until I actually handle it and see where the slide stop lever is in relation to my thumb.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
5.4lb trigger pull?  Sounds like HK finally reverse engineered a the Walther Quick Defense trigger.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Walther_PPQ.jpg
View Quote

Wow that looks like a cheap ugly piece of shit
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]
So what is the lock time on these?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't call it "hate".

More like questioning it's place in the market, and it's relative place in the HK lineup.  If these answers were clear, there would be no discussion.

I suppose we expected more innovation out of HK, but you can only overcomplicate a G17 so far I suppose.  Even for HK it doesn't leave any room.

Funny to see HK move downmarket into Glock pricing though.  Good luck getting people to pay an extra $300 for a hammer now.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the point is that it's just not that much larger than a 19, so why wait or hope for a compact version? We're just looking for different justifications for a purchase.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#42]
The VP9 might be the the gun that brings me back to HK.   All the reviews I have read and watched is really making want one bad.  I don't think I will be giving up my Glock 19 for CCW but if It be close if the VP9 live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock has built an empire convincing people to train around ergonomic screwups......
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

More like questioning it's place in the market, and it's relative place in the HK lineup.  If these answers were clear, there would be no discussion.

I suppose we expected more innovation out of HK, but you can only overcomplicate a G17 so far I suppose.  Even for HK it doesn't leave any room.

Funny to see HK move downmarket into Glock pricing though.  Good luck getting people to pay an extra $300 for a hammer now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this hard to understand? It's not unusual for manufactures to have entry models at the lower end of the brand.

S&W has the SD VE. Sig has the SP2022. Ruger at least had the P95.

All of these are successful guns that had no negative impact on the main product lines.

Why wouldn't HK take a stab at the mainstream striker market?

It makes sense, especially if they bring us a gun with better ergos and a better trigger than Glock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've actually shot one.  

How is the bore axis higher... It looks lower than the P30 and from that overlap pic, looks very close to the axis of the glocks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I think bore axis is just a word pairing people really like to say.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

it is, but its still factor in good handgun design

the higher the green line is over the red line, the more muzzle flip during recoil

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
I normally don't fret over it, but on two pistols the high bore axis noticeably affects the shootability of the handgun for me. One is the P220, where I have a difficult time getting the sights back on target quickly, while I do not have that problem with other .45's like the 1911, XD45, or G21. The other is the USP9c, where I had similar issues, but yet I do not have that problem with the P2000SK, which is a similar design with a high bore axis, and I shoot it just as well as my G19.

I think with bore axis there is a range for most shooters that will not find any difference within that band, but once the bore axis height exceeds a certain threshold, then it will noticeably affect the handling of the pistol.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Lol
The HK for those that cannot afford a real HK

Funny.  I thought that was walther's market segment,
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top