User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Since this gun is available in a variety of calibers, I am thinking that the CORRECT replica (remember, it's a replica) would cost about the same as one in an alternative caliber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like taking a classic sports cars, like an Aston Martin DB5 - and then putting a Chevy V8 LS1 (or whatever the corvette engine is called) - because it'll be faster, and easier to use, and more parts are available, blah blah blah.

Sure, some people might like that and think it's a great idea - but they're fools, and should be mocked and shunned.  

If I had any desire to own an AM and those mods were the only way to get the car close to a price point I could afford, then I would probably get one.

Same goes for the HMG.  I will never be able to afford a true repro in the $5,000 range, and I'll sure as hell never own a genuine specimen.  This is the closest I'll ever come to a rifle I covet.  Bottom line is, if it works, I will shoot it a lot because it is fun.  I'm so horribly bored with ARs that the one and only that I own has been cannibalized for parts for the NDS18 receiver I bought.  

Since every arfmember is a millionaire T1 operator and I'm not, I suppose I deserve to be shunned.  I spend what little disposable income I have on things I enjoy shooting.  

Since this gun is available in a variety of calibers, I am thinking that the CORRECT replica (remember, it's a replica) would cost about the same as one in an alternative caliber.

Not by a long shot.
PTR44
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not really.  For everyone jumping up and down saying they would buy one only a fraction will actually.  Just like 5.56 fals, or any the litany of other guns that people on gun boards clamor over, but never actually buy.

The problem with a gun like this is that its a novelty, and when you chamber it in a caliber that was not original to the gun you lose those that want a faithful reproduction, but while you gain those who want a more accessible caliber it begs the question of what that gun offers another design that is much cheaper (like an AR or AK).

I am all for new guns being brought to the market, and I hope this company the best, but I am a bit cynical regarding the actual appeal of such a niche gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice, a rifle that people only want to buy in theory.

At that price point, they'll sell plenty. If they can bring the price down to like 1.2k, they'd sell even more

Not really.  For everyone jumping up and down saying they would buy one only a fraction will actually.  Just like 5.56 fals, or any the litany of other guns that people on gun boards clamor over, but never actually buy.

The problem with a gun like this is that its a novelty, and when you chamber it in a caliber that was not original to the gun you lose those that want a faithful reproduction, but while you gain those who want a more accessible caliber it begs the question of what that gun offers another design that is much cheaper (like an AR or AK).

I am all for new guns being brought to the market, and I hope this company the best, but I am a bit cynical regarding the actual appeal of such a niche gun.

This post nails it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same is true of BARs, 1919s and other repro guns. They are a nitch market for collectors and others interested in guns of that period. They are not "better" guns. They are repros of the guns that were used in major historical events. Not many will buy an Stg as a trunk gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice, a rifle that people only want to buy in theory.

This.  It's cool as a historical jumping off point, but I can think of many other more practical guns to buy first.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Same is true of BARs, 1919s and other repro guns. They are a nitch market for collectors and others interested in guns of that period. They are not "better" guns. They are repros of the guns that were used in major historical events. Not many will buy an Stg as a trunk gun.

And many of them do not work well at all, despite the cost.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The video clearly stated that this replica will be available in .223 (Wylde), 8mm Kurz, 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout.  The price point appears to be the same for all of them, so you can absolutely get this gun chambered in the original cartridge for the same price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's like taking a classic sports cars, like an Aston Martin DB5 - and then putting a Chevy V8 LS1 (or whatever the corvette engine is called) - because it'll be faster, and easier to use, and more parts are available, blah blah blah.

Sure, some people might like that and think it's a great idea - but they're fools, and should be mocked and shunned.  

If I had any desire to own an AM and those mods were the only way to get the car close to a price point I could afford, then I would probably get one.

Same goes for the HMG.  I will never be able to afford a true repro in the $5,000 range, and I'll sure as hell never own a genuine specimen.  This is the closest I'll ever come to a rifle I covet.  Bottom line is, if it works, I will shoot it a lot because it is fun.  I'm so horribly bored with ARs that the one and only that I own has been cannibalized for parts for the NDS18 receiver I bought.  

Since every arfmember is a millionaire T1 operator and I'm not, I suppose I deserve to be shunned.  I spend what little disposable income I have on things I enjoy shooting.  

Not by a long shot.
PTR44

The video clearly stated that this replica will be available in .223 (Wylde), 8mm Kurz, 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout.  The price point appears to be the same for all of them, so you can absolutely get this gun chambered in the original cartridge for the same price.

Understood, but when you said "CORRECT" replica I assumed you meant correct in a literal sense, i.e. clockwork, vintage magwell, trunion, etc.  I only meant that, in that sense, a "correct" replica runs $4k+.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]

I'll need more information before I'd FO, but
it is an exciting project that I hope is a wild
success for HMG.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the 22 replicas.  Heavy, weird ergonomics, crappy sights.  Fun toy to play with but that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Do want.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a STG 44 .22 and honestly the sights are so shitty that I put a scope on it.  I would not buy one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Real ones still in use show up in picture in the middle east and africa. Its cool that some one wants to make one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A semi-auto Madsen is quite different from a Stg44 in a caliber it was never designed for, with completely different mags and modified parts.  Both of my semi-auto Madsens have the original barrels, original mags, shoot the caliber they were originally manufactured for.  They are as completely original as it is possible for them to be, without being NFA guns.  

The only difference between a semi-auto Madsen and a full-auto Madsen is the modification to make it comply with the law, not to be easier or cheaper or more convenient to use - which is the only reason for the Stg. 44 in 7.62x39.

If someone made a Madsen in 5.56mm NATO that could take AR mags, that would be as ridiculous as a Stg44 in 7.62x39.  

As an aside, I have tried to purchase several NFA Madsens in the past year, but lost at auction.
View Quote

Did you build your madsens?  I have a kit at home I am going to build but it is lacking the receiver frame end and bottom plates.
looks a lot more involved then my other builds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered up one of these in 5.56.  I have my reasons, but as a lover of guns I couldn't pass it up. I ordered the CETME-L on the HMG site too just for good measure.  It's something I have not experienced otherwise so I guess I'm one of the people in mind for this product.  I'm not going to nit pick originality for a shooter as long as it works and is cheap to shoot.  I've already upgraded all of my AR-15's and traded up to all pre ban AK's so my SHTF cache in good order so it would be foolish to compare this commercial product to established martial arms.  Something like this is in another category.  Fun. Like the semi auto Bren I had made.  It's a welded up mongrel from 3 different receivers but it functions and it's unique.  My alternative is getting a Class III and isn't worth my kids college education.  Same with this STG44- something just for the fun of shooting and playing with around the house.  

For me a trip to the gun shop is depressing.  It's the same old thing--just AR's, polymer framed semi's, and cheap 1911's for the most part.  We're losing variety and quality day by day.  Now I just need to figure how to pay for the FG42 next.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That sounds absolutely hilarious!!!  Can't wait to see some photos.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the record, notice that you are doing exactly the same as I am doing.  You are calling people that disagree with you "retarded"   ... so at least we are on the same page there.

ETA
Didn't you own a Semi Madsen?
How is this any different?

A semi-auto Madsen is quite different from a Stg44 in a caliber it was never designed for, with completely different mags and modified parts.  Both of my semi-auto Madsens have the original barrels, original mags, shoot the caliber they were originally manufactured for.  They are as completely original as it is possible for them to be, without being NFA guns.  

The only difference between a semi-auto Madsen and a full-auto Madsen is the modification to make it comply with the law, not to be easier or cheaper or more convenient to use - which is the only reason for the Stg. 44 in 7.62x39.

If someone made a Madsen in 5.56mm NATO that could take AR mags, that would be as ridiculous as a Stg44 in 7.62x39.  

As an aside, I have tried to purchase several NFA Madsens in the past year, but lost at auction.

DK-Prof, I'm of the same thought. Being a semi-auto Madsen 8mm owner as well. Though mine has an original 30-06 conversion, included by Dennis, with the conversion build. The only reason I would by an Stg44 semi is that is was as historically correct as possible. For me, it's not for any modern "tactical" reason. When PTR imported the Stg's from Germany a few years back I was hoping for one but that never happened. They were about as an exact semi-auto clone as you could get. But PTR had a heck of a time getting them to work and abandoned the project. As a side note I just received my semi-auto Turkish Vickers, 8mm, from Dennis today. It will be out at the range Sunday

That sounds absolutely hilarious!!!  Can't wait to see some photos.  

Just to completely discourage myself...what does a Semi Madsen run price-wise????? from buying the parts kit to getting it to functional
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I sent HMG a message with a few questions.
Their answers:

1. We will be offering the STG-N model with stained Eastern European Beech wood grips and stock.
2.  Twist rate is 1/8
3. You will be able to use steel cased ammo
4. we are not currently taking pre-orders for spare mags but they will be up on our website for pre-order
around SHOT show 2016 (Jan)

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
$1799?  LMFAO.

Not in this fucking lifetime.  Those guys need to come back to fucking planet Earth.  That's MAYBE...MAYBE a $650-700 piece...and a VERY GOOD DAY, when I'm feeling generous or something.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

Not in this fucking lifetime.  Those guys need to come back to fucking planet Earth.  That's MAYBE...MAYBE a $650-700 piece...and a VERY GOOD DAY, when I'm feeling generous or something.
View Quote

This isnt colt making them. Small production + R&D + labor = 1800. I am surprised they are that cheap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#22]
That's some ugly wood.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's some ugly wood.
View Quote

True to the wood on the originals then.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

View Quote

Research and development is free and costs nothing, and the product will be low volume, so they don't have to recoup that free R&D they did.

Heck, it shouldn't cost more than $100!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Research and development is free and costs nothing, and the product will be low volume, so they don't have to recoup that free R&D they did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

What about R&D for the gay trigger?

I'm pretty sure besides it not being FA(understandable) switching out the trigger and whatever else they did kinda negates the whole "repro" thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's some ugly wood.
View Quote

Pretty sure that the picture is just a rendering.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Can a MKb42H  be all that far behind ???
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Mp40 or go home
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I am glad they did this, and don't have a criticism to offer at all.  The "real thing" is unobtainium, and if everyone got interested in it, the already astronomical price would skyrocket even more.  I would feel bad about doing anything with it beyond shooting a mag once due to the threat of destroying an actual piece of major history.

So you take a design that is the core concept of most modern "evil guns" - pistol grip below below action, 30-ish round magazine, threaded muzzle for different accessories, truncated case length to make a shorter gun and lighter ammo.  Then you mod it up to be more reliable and consistent than the war-derived and war-produced original (only designed to have a life of 5,000 rounds or less, discarded in the field if it ever failed). Then you make it in original caliber AND modern calibers that are used in the original's descendants so that you have the easy choice to either shoot the snot out of it or hang it on the wall and admire as close as us average gun collectors can obtain.  And you add the ability to leave it with the sight system of the original or add modern optics with virtually no penalty to either choice.  It carries the charm and overall appearance of the original, with flexibility of caliber.  I think its win-win.  I want the original caliber close clone of the original, but because I am not a selfish so-and-so who thinks my opinion is the only valid option and am glad they will offer wider options to make a wider appeal and possibly make it a profitable endeavor as a reward to produce what most gun enthusiasts have always professed they wished would be made.  

TAKE MY MONEY - they will truly fulfill my "pipe dreams" when I can exchange my hard-earned money for one of these guns,
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

View Quote

Well, since you arent going to buy one, I guess they'll just close shop and do something else......  
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If it is in anything but 8mm Kurz, using anything but reproduction StG-44 mags, it's fucking gay and can go eat dicks in gayland.
View Quote

Yeah but where you gonna get an ammo fort's worth of ammo in 8mm Kurz?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#32]
not with a dumb ass R mag sticking out of it.

Should have gone PTR44 route.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure besides it not being FA(understandable) switching out the trigger and whatever else they did kinda negates the whole "repro" thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

Well, there's the practicality side of it. Why try to reproduce the overly complex trigger system of the original STG, WHILE making it semi-only and not easily convertible? Use an existing trigger system that will fit right in the 'lower'.

It's not intended to be a 1:1 reproduction, it's intended to be as close as possible appearance-wise, while being somewhat modernized and made a bit more efficient. The way you use it, the controls, the general feel and the outward appearance will be STG-44. I'd bet 99.9999999% of any of us that manages to get one have probably never fired a real STG-44, so would we even know that something really is all that different? Would it really matter?

Why is it difficult for people to understand why the company is doing what it is doing? Watch the videos and you'll learn - full on reproduction would cost near $5000, and few people would buy it. Make a few modifications, a few modernizations and get it in a price range that more people already buy rifles in to sell more.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

R&D is not free by any means. They still have to redesign it to semi auto only, then they need to setup a way to do the stamping and tolerances, then they need to develop it in solidworks which will take a lotof time for each part. They could be into that 50k before the first gun is even made if they are paying labor.

$100.....you obviously know nothing about production. Glocks probably cost $20 but there are a lot more factors going into the ultimate cost of a product then the base line materials.

People like you are why we cant have nice things.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I smelled sarcasm in hte $100 price.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's a replica of a historical rifle. It exists for novelty and history. It is to be looked at, shown off, and maybe taken to the range for a few mags once or twice a year.

What's your plan? Roll with a heavy as hell, obsolete, impossible-to-find-parts-for, unproven-reliability replica rifle during the zombie apocalypse? Please. Anyone who uses "training ammunition budget" in association with "StG-44" needs to sit down and think for five minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it is in anything but 8mm Kurz, using anything but reproduction StG-44 mags, it's fucking gay and can go eat dicks in gayland.
I don't know about you but i actually like to shoot my rifles not spend close to 800 dollars a K    

but ya know... that's just me

It's a replica of a historical rifle. It exists for novelty and history. It is to be looked at, shown off, and maybe taken to the range for a few mags once or twice a year.

What's your plan? Roll with a heavy as hell, obsolete, impossible-to-find-parts-for, unproven-reliability replica rifle during the zombie apocalypse? Please. Anyone who uses "training ammunition budget" in association with "StG-44" needs to sit down and think for five minutes.

Why couldn't you have posted your second response before the "eat dicks in gayland" post? You had me thinking for a minute that you were in denial.........and I agree with your core-concept; as long as we're talking about 8mm Kurz and the STG44. Not that "dicks in gayland" stuff.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-792x33-kurz
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah and I'd also like a 20lb 10/22 that looks like vulcan cannon
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#40]
That's a cartoon drawing of a rifle on the site, no? Really need to see one rifle assembled before I make up my mind. No magazines finished, either?

What type of finish will they have?  Originals had clear park, colored park, paint, or bluing. Hope they don't screw the pooch with the buttstock by making it too nice.

Great videos by the guys, but HMG needs to get it in gear.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

R&D is not free by any means. They still have to redesign it to semi auto only, then they need to setup a way to do the stamping and tolerances, then they need to develop it in solidworks which will take a lotof time for each part. They could be into that 50k before the first gun is even made if they are paying labor.

$100.....you obviously know nothing about production. Glocks probably cost $20 but there are a lot more factors going into the ultimate cost of a product then the base line materials.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My first Madsen, I bought outright from Dennis at Midwest Metal Creations, and I think it was about $3200 - which was maybe three years ago or so.  

My second Madsen I had him build from a complete parts kit I provided him about two years ago, and I think that ended up being around $2500, but I had a spare barrel/breech which can be hard to find.

My third Madsen, I actually bought yesterday, and it was quite a bit more - since it is an original full-auto NFA gun.

I may have a Madsen problem.  
View Quote

We need pics mane.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
At least they offer it in the original caliber.
View Quote

Shhh. Let everyone whine about the other caliber choices. And don't tell them you can swap barrels.

This thread is a shining example of why the gun community can't have nice (and different) things.

Waaaahhh! It's not in the original caliber!
Waaaahhh! If it's not $100 I'm not buying!
Waaaahhh! I can't be bothered to watch the videos before spouting incorrect shit!
Waaaahhh! Why would anyone buy this!

STFU, and FFS let the market decide. Good on HMG for bothering to stick their necks out and take the risk. If it succeeds great. If not, oh well. The important thing is it gives us all more choices and options.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#44]
After watching the video a $1500 street price is pretty good given the level of design that has gone into the project.

This isn't some cheaply made knock off, there is a hell of a lot of work that has gone into it. You can go completely old school to completely modern and mix and match in between.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
not with a dumb ass R mag sticking out of it.

Should have gone PTR44 route.
View Quote

Fuck yeah! A $5000 gun with $300-$400 magazines!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I would like to see the round counts for various calibers magazine sizes. Also curious how the magazine will be constructed. Is it merely a cosmetic piece that fits over a STANAG magazine to give it the apperance of an STG-44 Magazine or are these new magazines made to STANAG internal dimensions that look like STG-44 magazines (which are quite long).

Anyway I am excited about this rifle and I will be buying one in the approved gay caliber of 7.62x39 as long as the magazines don't have the necessary pronounced curve like AR 7.62x39 magazines.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1799?  LMFAO.

People like you are the reason I think Goatboy shouldnt allow new members to post until they've read for a month or six

sar·casm
'sär?kaz?m/Submit
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms:derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

because you can't tapco it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont see the point

because you can't tapco it?

Oh yee of little faith...
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top