View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Episode 2 Review:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Im gonna keep watching just to come read these reviews.

Im pissed they're fucking with the lore. But I'm gonna set aside some of thay anger because A, it's HALO and B, it's currently better than the other Paramount shit
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Episode 2 Review:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

And how do we not have a "slow clap" emote?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
half way thru the 2nd episode:

Starship trooper meets video game
Mandalorian
Half baked dude actually has role

got it
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really getting sick and tired of the "eat the bugs, stab someone in the neck over a sip of water." Shtick in science fiction.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Are Fred, Kelly, and Linda in the show?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Regardless of anything else in the episode, I wouldn't mind living on my own asteroid with a loopy space wife.

Quoted:
Are Fred, Kelly, and Linda in the show?
View Quote

You get not-Fred (Vannak), not-Kelly (Riz), and not-Linda (Kai).
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Wiki says they spent $200 million to make nine episodes and a second season has already been ordered. I've watched the first two eps and I guess $22 mil an episode doesn't go as far as it used to.

Its going to be interesting to see how the streaming service wars pan out. They are throwing money at anything and everything desperately hoping to find something that will keep people around.

In the end Disney will own everything anyway but until then it's a good time to be a really shitty writer in Hollywood. No end of opportunities it seems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't watched it and don't care to subscribe to a service to do so, but who would have guessed that it would be average teetering on mediocre when the people making it telling the world that they were proud of never playing the games or taking any of the story from the games and only flipped through a few pages of one of the books to come up with their plot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Im gonna keep watching just to come read these reviews.

Im pissed they're fucking with the lore. But I'm gonna set aside some of thay anger because A, it's HALO and B, it's currently better than the other Paramount shit
View Quote

I'm not watching, I'll just be reading the cliff notes here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Episode 1 is on YouTube
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have seen 20 minutes into the future.

And it seems like another science fiction civilization too dumb to actually exist.

For one thing, deuterium is not gonna git you hi.

Also, WAY too many AK-47s! And other worn out, utterly inneffective weapons. And no I don't just mean the scruffy nerf herders weapons.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Great review OP
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Episode 1 was ok.

Episode 2 was complete filler.

That could have been compressed into 15 min, then gone on to do cool stuff.

Also, isn’t Cortana a ship’s AI????  
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they're trying to show an origin.  Pod lady becomes AI, that's why the AI retains some humor and a mind of her own.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Episode 1 was ok.

View Quote

My understanding is that the shipboard AI can at least partially inhabit other things with the right "architecture".

That said, wouldn't be surprised if this show goes completely off those rails.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My understanding is that the shipboard AI can at least partially inhabit other things with the right "architecture".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Episode 1 was ok.

I thought Cortana was the ship’s AI in Halo 1.

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged just for the reviews
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#22]
They need to get their shit together, and quick
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Episode 1 was ok.

They’ve changed things so many times it’s difficult to remember.

I think she was originally ship AI, but then they changed it to The Pillar of Autumn being a getaway vehicle for her during the destruction of Reach, then the just made her Master Chief’s personal AI.

“They let me pick. Did I ever tell you that? Choose which ever Spartan I wanted. You know me. I did my research, watched as you became the soldier we needed you to be. But you had something they didn't, something no one saw but me. Can you guess? Luck.”

I don’t know if they think we aren’t paying attention or they just don’t care.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I remember right, it's explained in Halo Reach.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think they're trying to show an origin.  Pod lady becomes AI, that's why the AI retains some humor and a mind of her own.
View Quote

Smart AIs were modeled based on a human brain.  Cortana came from a flash clone of Halsey and that clones brain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Nah Cortana was supposed to be in the latest gen Spartans. I thought that's why they were created.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nah Cortana was supposed to be in the latest gen Spartans. I thought that's why they were created.
View Quote

I think people take it as a retcon since she was aboard the PoA at the start of Halo:CE.  That scene does establish though that the ship made a semi-random jump from Reach.

Halo Reach elaborates on this with the scenes at Sword Base and the conclusion.

Show looks trash and not just due to the Silver TL stuff they’re pulling.  Honestly, watching this only encourages them to create more derivative mockery’s of established universes.  

The canon for Halo up through the end of the Covenant War was great world building.  This show will not match it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now he dumps his armor....  

Obviously shows the writer never played the game, and don't GAF about legacy...
View Quote

Not trying to judge it based on that. They got a decent actor who ain't gonna want to be stuck in a costume all day.....just ask Pedro Pascal

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They need to get their shit together, and quick
View Quote

The people running the show openly admitted how they'd never played the games and are doing their own thing.  They're doing whatever story they want, in the skin of Halo.  It'll probably be as convincing as Edgar on MiB trying to pass as human.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok...I don't understand how the colonist opened up on the aliens with mini guns, and they had zero effect.

Then the Spartans open up on the aliens with their seemingly normal rifles and handguns, and for some reason it fucks them up.

I mean the mini gun killed the aliens only when used by Master chief...but in the hands of the colonists it did nothing.

Lame.
View Quote

Because it's a euphemism for the colonists not being qualified or trained and therefore incapable of gun, just like we hear all the time when it comes to civilians owning guns

Not cop? Not soldier? Gun no worky
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I lost interest when the writers said they didn't play the games and the shows aren't canon.  This franchise is too rich in lore and backstory to waste time with high budget fan fiction.   Something like the original human/Forerunner conflict would be amazing.
View Quote

Yep

Halo has a very rich extended universe of lore and stories, much written by Bungie themselves. But let's ignore it.

Sort of like how the Star Wars extended universe is expansive and diverse in plot but when it comes time to make a movie, rehash the same shit over and over again
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#33]
They screwed the pooch IMO.

Definitely not cannon. They had an incredibly strong black character and decided instead to make it some revisionist write-off by combining both into Keyes along with his crotch fruit mixed daughter to play the woke card. Both Jacob and Miranda already had a strong relationship bond with Avery Johnson, this crap is a slap in the face and proof that 343 really did everything in their power to help make the franchise suck. Infinite had soooo much potential and look where it's at now, almost dead.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Screenwriting hacks thinking they know better than the author of the original material.

The halo video game commercials are much better than the tv show so far.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Screenwriting hacks thinking they know better than the author of the original material.

The halo video game commercials are much better than the tv show so far.
View Quote

The best thing anyone could do that wants to see this type of behavior end is watch the first and maybe the second episode, then avoid the rest.  The track that type of telemetry.  Even better if you activated membership, watched one, then cancelled and left a detailed message on why.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Spielberg is a producer.

Just like Transformers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Definitely not cannon. They had an incredibly strong black character and decided instead to make it some revisionist write-off by combining both into Keyes along with his crotch fruit mixed daughter to play the woke card. Both Jacob and Miranda already had a strong relationship bond with Avery Johnson, this crap is a slap in the face and proof that 343 really did everything in their power to help make the franchise suck. Infinite had soooo much potential and look where it's at now, almost dead.
View Quote

Guessing that Lt Johnson isn't PC enough for the show writers. Strong man not good like stronk wymyn.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#38]
It's The Mandalorian with Halo Skins and a made up plot line. It should have been closer to Warhammer with Halo Skins and a plot line in the Halo Universe. Brutal, massive alien armies, and space battles.

The only positive is that Paramount isn't as shy of blood as Disney.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Now I want a mash-up with Master Chief, Amos, and Jayne Cob working together.
View Quote
That would be far superior in every way to the dreck Amazon is putting out lately...

Cease your clamoring and receive my ducats... :-)

Maybe we can get YoSafBridge as a guest villainess? Pretty please!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Guessing that Lt Johnson isn't PC enough for the show writers. Strong man not good like stronk wymyn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halo 2 Anniversary Sergeant Johnson "Oh I know What the Ladies Like" Cinematic Cutscene
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I just don’t get it.

Studios and writers have wells of drama/lore to draw from and they screw it up.

At least respect the source material.

-Peter Jackson and writers/producers understood this with LotR and look how celebrated that is.

-Dave Filoni understood Star Wars, Mandalorian does well.

-Henry Cavil tries his damndest to keep the spice alive in The Witcher.

All they had to do was get some writers or people from Bungie to consult to adapt appropriately for TV and capture the essence. But there are too many writer/producers trying to make a name/money for themselves and the hubris thinking they can out do the story, not realizing the story is what resonates and made it successful in the first place.

Not hard.

Paramount will fail in 5 years, probably get bought by Disney. They ruined Star Trek and now Halo.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just don’t get it.

Studios and writers have wells of drama/lord to draw from and they screw it up.

At least respect the source material.

-Peter Jackson and writers/producers understood this with LotR and look how celebrated that is.

-Dave Filoni understood Star Wars, Mandalorian does well.

-Henry Cavil tries his damndest to keep the spice alive in The Witcher.

All they had to do was get some writers or people from Bungie to consult to adapt appropriately for TV and capture the essence. But there are too many writer/producers trying to make a name/money for themselves and the hubris thinking they can out do the story, not realizing the story is what resonates and made it successful in the first place.

Not hard.

Paramount will fail in 5 years, probably get bought by Disney. They ruined Star Trek and now Halo.

View Quote

Henry read the books and played the games, and it shows. Also, he's a nerd and has gone 110% in those roles.

I think an Avery Johnson backstory would have been considerably better than this. I don't think a separatist/UNSC/Covenant prequel HAD to be bad, but they've gone about it entirely wrong. No one gives a fuck about Indian fleet lady vs Halsey or any of that shit.

Think the producers of LOTR or even Harry Potter movies read the books? You bet your ass.

And the reason the Mandalorian has been successful is definitely because it builds off of the world building that's been in process for 40+ years, instead of ignoring it entirely. The meme value of Mando beefing with Jawas is hilarious too.

Halo is over 2 decades old. People aren't going to receive it well when you fuck with it. Especially if it's boring.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, it's certainly not all bad.

Halo: But I Actually Hate Paramount Globalists

It has brought about the return of the semicolonizer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#44]
FUcken whiny ass stupid fucken critics.

I love it....

2004 to 2006 was HALO times for me...I used to do local LAN Halo parties using .mil computers on base in Iraq.

We competed against some other NATO people that came to Mosul.....beat their candy asses in team match setups.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FUcken whiny ass stupid fucken critics.

I love it....

2004 to 2006 was HALO times for me...I used to do local LAN Halo parties using .mil computers on base in Iraq.

We competed against some other NATO people that came to Mosul.....beat their candy asses in team match setups.

View Quote

What about this show reminds you of OG Halo, aside from the name?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Henry read the books and played the games, and it shows. Also, he's a nerd and has gone 110% in those roles.

I think an Avery Johnson backstory would have been considerably better than this. I don't think a separatist/UNSC/Covenant prequel HAD to be bad, but they've gone about it entirely wrong. No one gives a fuck about Indian fleet lady vs Halsey or any of that shit.

Think the producers of LOTR or even Harry Potter movies read the books? You bet your ass.

And the reason the Mandalorian has been successful is definitely because it builds off of the world building that's been in process for 40+ years, instead of ignoring it entirely. The meme value of Mando beefing with Jawas is hilarious too.

Halo is over 2 decades old. People aren't going to receive it well when you fuck with it. Especially if it's boring.
View Quote

Johnson already has a backstory. Contact: Harvest book.

They should have made the show about the early days of the war focused around Johnson. That should have been woke enough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#47]
At least Jen Taylor does Cortona justice.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Knowing very little about HALO books, games, etc., ep1 was OK as stand-alone sci-fi. Definitely noticed the few token white characters in the show.

I like sci-fi, even if it's not tier 1. There is a chance I'll subscribe for a free trial or one month sub once the series is done and binge it.

I definitely see where HALO fans would think the show was a steaming pile of shit though...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Episode 3: Clownworld Strikes Back

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Is it based on a true story?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top