Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have BMW badges on your Corolla too?
View Quote

No reason to swap the emblem on a good car and make people think it's a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I bought their little 22" boxes for $179. So many places that could use one and they make an awesome night stand.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

I am too, and I am wanting to have it with a butcherblock top...What is funny is I started a thread in the woodworking forum, on how would be the best way of adding a butcherblock top to a US general box, and of course ARFCOM brotherhood came through, as always....Gonna make it into a gun workbench with lockers...Should be real nice....
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks !

It’d actually be $885 for the US General set vs $1085 for the Husky with that coupon.

I may just have to go for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, they have the boxes (and everything else) on sale thru Dec 26 for 20% off if you have the inside track membership.  I think the membership is like $30.  The boxes don't go on sale like that very often.

That’s interesting.

It’d make the 44” set the same price as the Husky set I linked to earlier.

Here is a screenshot of the coupon from my email.  I imagine you can find it online somewhere but I couldn't with a quick good search.  If you need, PM me your email address and I can forward the email to you.

ETA: it says any single item, but they will let you use it for multiple.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_20221225-184028-746_png-2648947.JPG

Thanks !

It’d actually be $885 for the US General set vs $1085 for the Husky with that coupon.

That coupon is for inside track members. I think they have a 10% off coupon right now on their website for non members
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That coupon is for inside track members. I think they have a 10% off coupon right now on their website for non members
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, they have the boxes (and everything else) on sale thru Dec 26 for 20% off if you have the inside track membership.  I think the membership is like $30.  The boxes don't go on sale like that very often.

That’s interesting.

It’d make the 44” set the same price as the Husky set I linked to earlier.

Here is a screenshot of the coupon from my email.  I imagine you can find it online somewhere but I couldn't with a quick good search.  If you need, PM me your email address and I can forward the email to you.

ETA: it says any single item, but they will let you use it for multiple.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152343/Screenshot_20221225-184028-746_png-2648947.JPG

Thanks !

The membership is $30.  You can get the membership and buy the boxes at the same time.  So yeah, it's 20% off plus $30.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Hate to say it, but FB Mrkt is a good place to look if you don't want to spend the money on a new one.  

I just picked up a nice 41" multi drawer for $300 and there have been plenty of deals on many different sizes and types.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the US General 56" top and bottom, as well as 2 of the 5 drawer 30" carts (one for 2 HMMWV specific tool kits I have, the other will be for generic auto repair tools). Got the 56" and one of the carts (along with a couple other items) back in May with 0% for 36 months since I've got their store credit card. Got the 2nd cart for $220 on Black Friday.

Haven't had a chance to really get them organized and put them through their paces since I'm still getting my shop in order but, I bought them based on the rep they have as best bang for the buck and what I have done with them hasn't disappointed me yet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@optimator

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/CB6DC534-545E-4EEB-863C-1B845C6A66A4_jpe-2648979.JPG

This was early on as I finished my reloading vault. I can get some better pics if you like.

These are all Husky cabinets built on 2X4 base.
View Quote

Either something's borked with the perspective of that pic or you have the world's most uncomfortable workstation.  Unless you have big long orangutan arms, I guess.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I went and looked at them all this morning. The 56” is just too much box for me I think so if I grab something it’ll be the 44”. I may go back over this afternoon and order it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
They actually had a red 44” in stock so I went and got it.

They didn’t have a top box to match so I’ll have to wait for the next sale to get the top box.

It’s a really nice box so thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have small husky I bought based strictly on a size requirement.

My Harbor Freight US General stuff is better built.
View Quote
I have a Husky and a 72" US General. Think I'm gonna get rid of the Husky.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They didn’t have a top box to match so I’ll have to wait for the next sale to get the top box.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked this up for $125 at Lowe’s. Had a repairable dent in one drawer.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Been wrenching professionally for 30 years. The name on the box never made me a dime.

Those Harbor Freight boxes are solid.

Spend the money on quality tools first, then buy the Snappy box to display in your retirement shop if you want.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anyone blocked the wheels (or built a pedestal) and used one as a reloading bench?
View Quote

Not my setup and no other details aside from the top on the 2nd being reclaimed bowling alley wood. Sorry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have the 46" yukon cabinet. It's a well built box but I'm quickly running out of room for tools and need to get another box to add to the collection, lol.
https://go.harborfreight.com/wp-content/images/prtn/img56613.jpg
View Quote

Have the same...

One complaint with it is the wheels fucking SUCK.   They would rather skid sideways over concrete than let the goddamn caster turn and have the wheel, oh I do not know, FUCKING ROLL.

The drawers/keys are basically identical to the HomeDepot Husky stuff.  I have a smaller stacking Husky and that is what I compared it to.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try another store in your area. Worth getting it now with the discounts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sale ended on the 26th and the next closest store is 100 miles away so I'll just have to wait.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#20]
All the budget boxes are getting manufactured out of the same region of China. Buy whatever is discounted at lowes, Home Depot, or harbor freight. Not much difference anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All the budget boxes are getting manufactured out of the same region of China. Buy whatever is discounted at lowes, Home Depot, or harbor freight. Not much difference anymore.
View Quote

While they are probably manufactured by the same companies that doesn't mean they are built to the same standards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is incorrect as far as level of manufacter.

Put a 2 sets of impacts in the top drawer of a husky and you get binding. General boxes were fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Kobalt tool chest that I bought on clearance in the Walmart/Lowes thread a couple years ago. It’s been holding up great. Think I spend less than 200
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Put a 2 sets of impacts in the top drawer of a husky and you get binding. General boxes were fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What level of husky and when did you buy it? I have an old wobbly General from 2011 and a solid Husky from 2016 era. Guess it’s luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a US General and Husky

Of the two, the US General is slightly nicer when opening and closing the drawers.

Also noticed during the recent cold snap the Husky was a lot stiffer opening in 20 degrees.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone blocked the wheels (or built a pedestal) and used one as a reloading bench?
View Quote

garage journal thread

money shot:

lots of other really cool variations too.

edit: pictured above, but I have a link to the thread!

Seriously, worth the time to scroll through it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

^ Correct.

I would also suggest not buying one sight unseen, a lot of them come out of the box damaged. If you go the HD route have it delivered.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I have had the 44 HF box for about 4-5 years and it has been great. Like gun safes I should have bought the bigger 56 (or larger) box.  I ended up picking up a 30in tool cart to help make up the difference.  Both have been excellent and the drawers still slide perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

garage journal thread

money shot:

http://sdwike.smugmug.com/photos/i-zdWtjvc/0/M/i-zdWtjvc-M.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

garage journal thread

money shot:

http://sdwike.smugmug.com/photos/i-zdWtjvc/0/M/i-zdWtjvc-M.jpg

Thanks for the link to the thread! I don't even remember where I found the pics but good to see the source.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What level of husky and when did you buy it? I have an old wobbly General from 2011 and a solid Husky from 2016 era. Guess it’s luck of the draw.
View Quote

Crinkle finish "pro" husky box that was around 56".

USG had a central running bearing support whereas the husky did not. The husky's unsupported center of the drawer would then sag and bind against the frame.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys can have at it. I have a snap on at work and a us general at home. I was happy with the usgeneral aside from the drawers not being as deep until the paint starting peeling off mine. You get what you pay for.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You guys can have at it. I have a snap on at work and a us general at home. I was happy with the usgeneral aside from the drawers not being as deep until the paint starting peeling off mine. You get what you pay for.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/272353/8DF64570-D890-41D7-9B2D-DA37444AE3C5_jpe-2651352.JPG
View Quote

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen this happen to a US General.  Did you bring it to their attention?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#33]

I got that one for $800 a few years ago.  Mine weighs 600 lbs empty so they’ve apparently started cutting corners.  The version I have I’m extremely pleased with.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen this happen to a US General.  Did you bring it to their attention?
View Quote

Its a series 1 so I doubt they would do anything. I’ve had it a few years and you can tell its been rusting for a while, seems the paint didn’t stick. Maybe I should shoot them an email?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There's a bunch of them popping up at my work, especially the 'carts' with a couple drawers and the open bottom. 15 years ago they were pretty awful and I went with a craftsman, but they have come a long way and if I needed something today they would be my first stop.
View Quote
I had been eying the 56" cab because my current box was getting too full. I went to HF to make the buy with a 20% off coupon when the carts caught my eye. Got this instead and the fact is; it'll be a whole lot more helpful to me than a bigger box. I filled it up with some "common" tools and I'll just roll it to the work. I'll probably add the folding side shelf to it also.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Its a series 1 so I doubt they would do anything. I’ve had it a few years and you can tell its been rusting for a while, seems the paint didn’t stick. Maybe I should shoot them an email?
View Quote

Wouldn’t hurt.  They may have some old drawers in the parts room.  I think those things are powder coated, not painted.  I have a series 1-44” with side cabs and a series 2 with one side cab built like a SteveO box. Oh, and a 24” bottom I use at my hobby bench.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Good to go. I bought the 44in and only regrets are not going bigger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Curious if any of these would work well for ammo storage. Tried it with a 36" Stanley I've had forever and the drawers were binding before they were even half full.

Nor sure if it's even a great idea since there's no way to really control humidity but it sure would be nice to have ammo organized and accessible in one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I have the 44" in blue. happy with it. the icon stuff is overpriced IMO. most of it is too closely priced to the real thing. classic case of china company getting popular for decent value and thinking their shit dont stink when they get popular.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have the 44" in blue. happy with it. the icon stuff is overpriced IMO. most of it is too closely priced to the real thing. classic case of china company getting popular for decent value and thinking their shit dont stink when they get popular.
View Quote

But it’s not a China company.
American company using off shore labor. Not just China. Lots of Asian manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Why on earth would you spend $1000 - $1500 on a HF box when you can pick up a good used Snap On box from for sale sites for the same price? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there's literally no comparison in quality and guys are off loading SnapOn boxes all the time. I traded a couple items that added up to around $1500 - $1800 for a Master Series double bank that's extra deep with the top 3 drawers being the full lengthof the box............it was mint condition and is listed for 10k off the truck. Would I ever pay truck price for a box? Heck no, but I knew I'd find the right deal if I was patient.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks man. I knew someone here had to of done it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@optimator

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/CB6DC534-545E-4EEB-863C-1B845C6A66A4_jpe-2648979.JPG

This was early on as I finished my reloading vault. I can get some better pics if you like.

These are all Husky cabinets built on 2X4 base.

Thanks man. I knew someone here had to of done it.

@-MainDisconnect- @optimator

this is now relevant to my needs, I am requesting more pics!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a variety of HF, husky stainless, and craftsman.   HF used to be the best deal anywhere now they are so close to husky it depends on sales.   The HF tool cart is good.  They change sizes sometimes due to import laws changing so if you want a topper get them at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#44]
My “SteveO” bench I built.

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why on earth would you spend $1000 - $1500 on a HF box when you can pick up a good used Snap On box from for sale sites for the same price? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there's literally no comparison in quality and guys are off loading SnapOn boxes all the time. I traded a couple items that added up to around $1500 - $1800 for a Master Series double bank that's extra deep with the top 3 drawers being the full lengthof the box............it was mint condition and is listed for 10k off the truck. Would I ever pay truck price for a box? Heck no, but I knew I'd find the right deal if I was patient.
View Quote

I see people post this all the time in these threads.  I have never seen a snap on box of decent size for $1500 that wasn't absolutely trashed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I see people post this all the time in these threads.  I have never seen a snap on box of decent size for $1500 that wasn't absolutely trashed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same, outside of small benchtop or really old-school small boxes, never seen anyone off-load a 50-70+ inch roll around for 1,500 bucks or less
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#47]
This will be my next box. It's almost a direct copy of a friend's snap-on box, just slightly narrower, for basically a third of the price

US General box
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same, outside of small benchtop or really old-school small boxes, never seen anyone off-load a 50-70+ inch roll around for 1,500 bucks or less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here as where I live those kinds of deals just don’t happen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because their sisters, friends, roommates, cousin knows a guy who got a deal from some meth mouth "mechanic getting out of the business" who bought it for $500.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@-MainDisconnect- @optimator

this is now relevant to my needs, I am requesting more pics!
View Quote

@bulump

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I would not recommend hanging any cabinets above the press. I plan to upgrade but I’m not sure if I have room with the Ultramount.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top