BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Harbor freight is like McDonald’s.

Looks really good
Tastes really good.
You regret eating it minutes after you finish eating.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm saying there are no good choices.  Buy shit from HF (a US company), which makes its shit in China, or search high and low to find something made in America that costs 4x more.

HF gets a lot of hate because the US company makes its stuff in China, but so does nearly every other US company.  If its not 100% built in China, its components are made in China and assembled here.

Fact of the matter is fucking everything, one way or another, comes from China.   It's a disgrace and people like DJT was trying to fix it.
View Quote

I get it but as a whole ARF loves to bloviate on these topics and beat our chest but really doesn't walk the walk.

It's a continuing theme for me. We like to claim we hate China but constantly post about buying Chinese products.

We like to claim we don't support woke companies but look at how many Walmart threads we have.

Walmart literally gives money to Michael Bloomberg but it's our favorite store.

So when Arf puffs its chest and starts listing their lines in the sand, what they're willing to die for and then I see that we can't even stop shopping at Walmart or buying cheap Chinese (not Taiwanese) shit I make the Jennifer Lawrence face

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing like the pungent smell of Chinese rubber products wafting across the land  when they have a parking lot sale.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a good place for once and done specialty tools.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had 2 aluminum “racing” jacks from Harbor Freight (1st was stolen) and they were both awesome. Never lost pressure. I could have bought a Snap-On, but why pay 4x the price for a product made by unskilled labor with mobility problems.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]

My data points are old, but stay away from battery powdered stuff and really cheap anything!

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It's the store for the "happy homeowner" who needs to occasionally use a tool for small projects and home repairs.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the petite Chinese girls you can get after hours at the loading dock.

Don't eat much and aim to please. Happy to be here.

They usually know enough Engrish to get by too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Pitts Pro stuff seems to be in the middle of phase out. That stinks because it was an amazing bang for buck.

Tool boxes are amazing bang for buck. I tested them vs most of the other sub-$1,000 boxes and no comparison.

Buy nothing with a battery.

Doyle is good.
Icon is good.
Pitts Pro is good.

Check the Garage Journal thread before buying
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pitts Pro stuff seems to be in the middle of phase out. That stinks because it was an amazing bang for buck.

Tool boxes are amazing bang for buck. I tested them vs most of the other sub-$1,000 boxes and no comparison.

Buy nothing with a battery.

Doyle is good.
Icon is good.
Pitts Pro is good.

Check the Garage Journal thread before buying
View Quote

This man speaks truth.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The bolt cutters that I got from HF were useless.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, this is an old flyer but generally what you can expect to find

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Harbor freight has a lot of stuff that might not stand up to full time pro use, but is plenty good  for the homeowner and Hobbiest.
Where else can you walk into a retail store and find a large assortment of automotive spray guns on display?. I've gotten GREAT results painting rifle stocks and radio control planes with their $15 touch up sprayer and $39 gravity feed sprayer. I have a $22 auto sprayer I use just for spraying insecticide!! -Same darn sprayer Lowes sells for $39, and Sears use to sell for $45.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Careful. Arfcom GD is full of Dewalt junkies
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Their Predator line is good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Their hook and loop backed 7-1/2” wool buffing/ cutting pads cannot be beat for the money at $9 each.  Same for their blue and yellow polishing pads.

Heavy mil nitrile gloves, box o rags, terry towels, shop towels, microfibers - all waaaay cheaper than anywhere else.  Same for chip brushes, tarps, bungees, etc.  all that kind of stuff.

While I have Milwaukee, Dewalt, Klein, Knipex, Greenlee, etc tools for work - I keep Harbor Fright and Ryobi tools on the boat as there’s a high likelihood they may go for a swim.  Have done well for what I need them for - occasional/ disposable use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know.  A lot of Dewalt is made in China ironically.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

… and by Stanley Black & Decker.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some are made stateside with global parts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

For all the whining Arf does about China it sure loves HF and Walmart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid harbor freight at all cost.

This.

Do some research, WalMart is one of the few store chains that carries thousands of Made in USA products.  But it's much cooler to bash on an American company that employs Americans.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol

I’ve got 7 year old smoke and noise machines running like raped apes.

I’ve got a ten yr old big shop compressor (admittedly I had to re-wire it) but I only paid 200 bucks and it’s still going.

I’ve got a 5 yr old 20 ton log splitter that won’t stop.

Some of their stuff is good and will last me a lifetime, like the big OG 72” general box and yellow Daytona jack.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiousity, I just checked my box of Dewalt nails.

Made in Poland.  

POLAND!  Who has anything made in Poland?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do some research, WalMart is one of the few store chains that carries thousands of Made in USA products.  But it's much cooler to bash on an American company that employs Americans.
View Quote

Do more research, Walmart as a company gives money to Dems and Michael Bloomberg/ Everytown. Why do you like gun control so much?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Out of curiousity, I just checked my box of Dewalt nails.

Made in Poland.  

View Quote

I used to back in school.  She had really big tits.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Made in Poland.  

View Quote

VIS35?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You smell that?

Smells like Chyna.
View Quote

Harbor Freight has definitely done something to get rid of that unique smell in their stores.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Their Invertor Predator generators are fantastic for the $. I have owned quite a few over the last three years in the food truck business. We beat them to death and they work… very well. And unlike many products they keep getting better. They have upgraded features every year.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

DeWalt and SNAPON are top of the line for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey - leave my brand new Dewalt jobsite saw out of this HF discussion.
Actually, this thing is damn good for a simple garage table saw...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/HarborFreight-184804.jpg

My data points are old, but stay away from battery powdered stuff and really cheap anything!

View Quote

That tool has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Being really rural I don't have the chance to shop Loews or HD at will. 40 minutes away is HF. I have to fix almost everything that breaks around here. So far after 12 years of retirement I have nothing bad to say about HF. When I was in business I had 70 folks and never spent a dime with HF. JUST WOULDN'T CONSIDER IT. Now, after being very careful in selecting what I buy from HF ( STARTED WITH RED RAGS AND SANDPAPER ETC.) I'm getting a bit less suspicious.  I've not purchased anything with an engine yet and probably won't. No big ticket electrical items as mine are all still good from when I outfitted my shop post retirement. One thing that I HAVE dropped some coin on there is the welder group. I have a Titanium Stick Welder, Plasma Cutter and Multi Process Welder. So far so good. Each one does what it's supposed to do and all in I saved a TON of money considering what I can do in my shop now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do more research, Walmart as a company gives money to Dems and Michael Bloomberg/ Everytown. Why do you like gun control so much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you a Benchmade fanboi?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Generally speaking, HF is one of the sites where you can trust the reviews.  If the scores are bad, the product is bad.  If the scores are good, the product is good.  

Don't buy HF expecting SnapOn quality though.  Be reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Were you a Benchmade fanboi?
View Quote

All gone.

In fact in my knife thread we shun BM.

A member of the thread literally put his knife into a belt grinder and turned it to dust.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had no issues with them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Hazard Fraught.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Garage Journal has threads sorting out the good stuff from the bad stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Ready to get high from all that Chinese chemical smell when you walk into the store.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Avoid HF pressure washers.  Walmart has MUCH better deals.  Practically FREE!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Jack stands (6 ton and 3 ton), floor jack, hand tools, vice, air tools, sockets, rags, zip strips, PPE, tape, extension cords, drill...all good (I blew my vice up trying to press a U-joint out of an F-150 drive shaft one time, they replaced it with a new one for free even though it was my fault.  I haven't repeated that mistake)

Tool boxes look good but I went with a Menards Masterforce box, it was too good of a deal for an excellent box.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve been happy with a few things from Harbor Fraud- tarps, HPLV sprayer, and an oil-free air compressor. A lot of their shit is disposable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Didn’t expect this many replies ! Keep ‘‘em coming . I have a much better idea now , but keep posting please
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I recommend the 18v cordless hammer.
View Quote

Pipe stretcher is just about as high quality as the hammer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Icon > Snap On
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Compressors, floor jacks, torque wrenches, impact sockets, socket adapters/extensions, Merlin branded air tool connectors and such... they're all working well for me.  Deadblow hammers, other hammers adjustable and pipe wrenches.  Just about everything I get there is decent.  A/C manifold gauge set, 2-stage vacuum pump, tire inflators, digital calipers, saw blades, sacrificial screwdrivers.  I dunno, I don't have a problem with most of their stuff.  The mechanics gloves, and rubber gloves are decent, use them all the time.  Those pop-up led lanterns are bright.  The alkaline batteries seem ok.  The cheap batteries are really cheap, but if you're using them in "give away" flashlights and stuff, it's cheap.  Jack stands have been working for years.  Wheel chocks.  Receiver tongue.  I have so much stuff from there, and the failure rate is really minimal.

Sure, it's all chinese stuff, but without taking out a loan, or draining my bank account, it's the way I can get the tools I need to wrench on the stuff I own.  At least the owner of HF seems like a decent guy that's not woke.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

China is bad.  Wasting my money on US made shit costing 4x more is bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So China bad unless it's convenient or saves a couple bucks...

I think if people were more honest about their positions they'd be happier.

China is bad.  Wasting my money on US made shit costing 4x more is bad.

What handheld power tools are still made in the US?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#48]
LOL at the virtue signaling.

Good luck finding a roller cover, 18ga pneumatic staples/brads, tool bags, and similar consumables not made in China. Yeah, maybe I can go on McMaster-Carr and pay 5x the price, pay shipping, and get a roller cover that may be made here, maybe, if it exists. Except I'm not going to do that with something when I going to paint stucco and throw it away after 20 minutes.

I almost never buy anything there without a coupon. Things like Frog Tape or Gorilla Glue I can get for way cheaper with 20-30 percent off, or I can virtue signal and not buy from that store because 90% of their stuff is made in China. I also buy masking tape, chip brushes, work gloves, pneumatic staples, and similar consumables with coupons because I don't virtue signal and think that spending two hours of my time searching for made in USA and spending 3x the price for a roller cover is going to made any difference other than wasting time I'll never get back and money I could use for something else.

Personally, I avoid all their power tools and almost any of their hand tools unless it'll be a one time/very seldom use item. The once exception was their Chicago Electric 10" tile saw I bought a few years back for a project. Way cheaper than the name brands (most also made in China IIRC) and a wash with renting a one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Avoid harbor freight at all cost.

This.

I love supporting China. Accelerationism FTW. Our government and corporations do so to save a buck. Why shouldn't the little guy? We make no difference.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
So is Bosch.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top