User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gladius, spears, shield, trained group of men that can do a phalanx formation well, yeah, you could fvck some rioters up. One untrained guy, nahhhhhh.

Where are the Roman Legions when you need them?
View Quote

Good point on the shields and having a formation. A coordinated small group can accomplish a lot - if they are disciplined and trained. The same is true for a bunch of guys with spears as for a rifle team. Sure, the rifle team is much more deadly with modest training, but to be really effective, the team has to know how to operate as a group.

It's sad but true, if you don't have a standoff weapon (ie: a rifle or handgun to give you some distance), a group of 10 year olds could pelt you to death with rocks. That would be one of the cases where the smartest move is to vacate the area (ie: run!) and find a more favorable place to make your stand, and just get the hell out of there. Other times, guys that are well experienced will close the distance, to where your opponent's range would not help them.

Against any group of opponents, a firearm is the best protection, but many people may need other options, whether due to local laws or circumstance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take a rooty tooty point and shooty with a great big pew pew holder.

The nerds can keep their Chinesium swords and gas station knives.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Absurd. A sword with no shield is foolish. The shield provides the cover while you poke them with the gladius betweengst the legs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Absurd. A sword with no shield is foolish. The shield provides the cover while you poke them with the gladius betweengst the legs.
View Quote

Finally
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm curious, how many in gd have actually practiced sword fighting and know what there talking about?
View Quote

What kind of sword fighting? I think we have some that are quite skilled in certain styles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What kind of sword fighting? I think we have some that are quite skilled in certain styles.
View Quote

From the answers, some sound like they have experience and some sound like they watch to many movies
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll take a rooty tooty point and shooty with a great big pew pew holder.

The nerds can keep their Chinesium swords and gas station knives.
View Quote

I would have given you points if you’d included made in Pakistan or Klingon
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would have given you points if you'd included made in Pakistan or Klingon
View Quote

I was going to mention Klingons but I didn't know how to spell bat'leth without Googling it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was going to mention Klingons but I didn't know how to spell bat'leth without Googling it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]

I'd be more afraid of hurting myself using one of those
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Make Phalanxs Great Again
View Quote

Not wrong. Big shields and short swords in tight groups can be effective against most simply armed groups.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO a short spear would be a better choice of weapon for most encounters of that type.

A cutting spearhead would be best, but even just a hardened & sharpened stick is effective.

"Your Honor, I tried to explain to the young gentlemen that I have to carry this walking stick because of my bad knee, but they started hitting me with bricks, so I hit them back."
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1 Viking vs hundreds of Englishmen because he held the only bridge lol https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/the-violent-1066-battle-of-stamford-bridge/
View Quote

Publius Horatius did it 1600 years before Stamford.  A swordsman in a narrow hall/bridge or bottleneck can really fuck shit up.  Melee weapons are absolutely still useful in the right situation.

Charging into a crowd, in an open space, with no backup isn’t that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Publius Horatius did it 1600 years before Stamford.  A swordsman in a narrow hall/bridge or bottleneck can really fuck shit up.  Melee weapons are absolutely still useful in the right situation.

Charging into a crowd, in an open space, with no backup isn’t that.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good point on the shields and having a formation. A coordinated small group can accomplish a lot - if they are disciplined and trained. The same is true for a bunch of guys with spears as for a rifle team. Sure, the rifle team is much more deadly with modest training, but to be really effective, the team has to know how to operate as a group.

It's sad but true, if you don't have a standoff weapon (ie: a rifle or handgun to give you some distance), a group of 10 year olds could pelt you to death with rocks. That would be one of the cases where the smartest move is to vacate the area (ie: run!) and find a more favorable place to make your stand, and just get the hell out of there. Other times, guys that are well experienced will close the distance, to where your opponent's range would not help them.

Against any group of opponents, a firearm is the best protection, but many people may need other options, whether due to local laws or circumstance.
View Quote

Or, attack!  They can't be picking up rocks and pelting you, if they are running for their lives.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#18]
No weapon will protect you from a 360 degree mob of people.

Individuals are prey.  Period.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a good point.

Have any of the non-firearm weapons worked in these riots?  Other than bricks vs cringing helpless unarmed non-combatants.

View Quote
Have they really been trying?

Or trying to look menacing to get a reaction?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A couple dudes with rifles backed up by a couple dudes with polearms would be pretty badass. Getting shot sucks but you can’t vusualize it like you can a spear to the gut or a halberd swipe to the knees.
View Quote

Get bAttachment Attached File
oth
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd imagine a guy who knows how to use a sword can fuck some shit up with it.

I'd also imagine it helps of you have someone to keep the bad buys from braining you from behind.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My brother beat two men nearly to death using the back side of an axe. He saved a friends life in the process. If you're down to melee weapons you better be committed to the cause.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a certain lack of un ringing the bell, when a concrete ballbat is your striker

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My brother beat two men nearly to death using the back side of an axe. He saved a friends life in the process. If you're down to melee weapons you better be committed to the cause.
View Quote

I actually think that's really the key.  Even when some people are about to die, they aren't committed to the death of those killing them.  And yet, even when certain to die, others are committed to the death of others up to and after that last heartbeat.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top