Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/1/2021 10:55:49 AM EDT
Have a household with a wife and two kids (5 and 8) and about a year ago we lost our Pug, crushed the kids. Initially thought we weren't going to get another dog, but you know how that goes...

So we're looking for a dog that would have the following traits or most of them...

• 30-50 lbs

• Great with kids

• Obedient yet intelligent, not overly stubborn

• Protective but not aggressive

• Not an extremely high energy demand breed. Will be an indoor dog primarily, but I have a fenced in back yard; ability to cope with periods of lower energy without being destructive since we have full time schedules. E.g. we aren't going to be taking the dog on daily runs.

• Low to no shedding, easy on allergies if possible

• Not a big drooler

What are some suggestions?

ETA:

Thanks for the mentions so far, I've also take a look at several "breed selector" sites and so far these are the ones in the mix:

Hamilton Hound
Harrier
Portuguese Pointer
Vizsla
Boxer
Mutt/Mix isn't out of the question at all if I can get a feel for its temperament based on its parents or breed origins

Also, I keep seeing comments that seem to show some are taking my list to the extreme.. If I have something on the list, it's a factor, but not an absolute. For example, when I say not a drooler, I'm not saying a dog that drools at all isn't acceptable, I'm saying if there is a breed that is known for extreme amounts of drooling, I'll probably avoid it. If I say allergies and shedding are a concern, I'm not saying it can't shed at all or has to be perfectly hypoallergenic, I'm saying I would want to avoid a breed that is known to shed on the high side. Not sure what is so hard to comprehend with some of y'all...quit the knee jerk presumptions to the max, maybe stay off social media and lay off the caffeine for a while lol..
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Drop 1 of those items and a Bullmastiff would be perfect!

Seriously!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
In before Ovcharka or Malinois.

on a more serious note, German Pinscher.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with a German Shepherd or a Husky

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to the pound and find the sadest, shyest puppy or mid aged dog sitting in the back of the kennel by him or her self.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you read the post???

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Boxer.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a mutt.

I've had a couple vets tell me they are typically healthier.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Goldens make the best L79 combination lo mein.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
If size wasn't an issue, the Native American Indian Dog would fit your bill perfectly. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go to the pound and find the sadest, shyest puppy or mid aged dog sitting in the back of the kennel by him or her self.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looking to raise from a puppy, kids would love that experience and bond I think.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the post???

LOL, yea definite no on the German Shepherd. My son does have an obsession with Husky's but after reading some more here, I think that's the exact opposite of our needs haha!

Husky Traits
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Boxer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Boxer.

Had one growing up, amazingly good natured dog. Ours shed quite a bit and drooled alot, also died younger (9 or so), but not ruling it out because everything else was so positive about her.

Quoted:
If size wasn't an issue, the Native American Indian Dog would fit your bill perfectly. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132711/20201207_143314_jpg-1758462.JPG

Will take a look!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Corgis are awesome, friendly little tard rockets.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Drop the weight and shedding and get yourself an English Golden, loyal is an understatement, sharp as a tack, and does great with kids.

Here’s Remi:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Standard Poodle.

Zero shedding, smart as hell.

Just don’t give them the stupid fufu haircut.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have a household with a wife and two kids (5 and 8) and about a year ago we lost our Pug, crushed the kids. Initially thought we weren't going to get another dog, but you know how that goes...

So we're looking for a dog that would have the following traits or most of them...

• 30-50 lbs

• Great with kids

• Obedient yet intelligent, not overly stubborn

• Protective but not aggressive

• Not an extremely high energy demand breed. Will be an indoor dog primarily, but I have a fenced in back yard; ability to cope with periods of lower energy without being destructive since we have full time schedules. E.g. we aren't going to be taking the dog on daily runs.

• Low to no shedding, easy on allergies if possible

• Not a big drooler

What are some suggestions?
View Quote

@garn

With most of your criteria, I'd suggest an English Bulldog or Italian Greyhound.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the dog I want. Boykin Spaniel

Pretty much checks all the boxes in the OP too
Edit:
Should be attainable in VA. This is a SC breed primarily.
Not many near Maine
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Shiloh shepherd

A 30-50 pound dog is just a waste. If I’m getting a dog, I want one big enough that can at least look intimidating to someone
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Australian Shepherd.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Eh...if you can’t manage to find time to properly exercise a dog, you certainly won’t be finding the time to properly train it, which is a good indication that you don’t need a dog.

More to the point, there’s simply no breed that satisfies all of your requirements.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Bullypit would be my choice again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Springer

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#24]
My Brittany sheds a bit and he is considered low energy for his breed. He’s awesome and fits most of your criteria.

Btw your criteria makes it sound like you don’t want to deal with any of the downsides of owning a dog, and there are some. The puppy phase is very challenging. Just keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Poodle.

Ranks at the top of intelligence, meets the shedding requirement, can hunt with them, known to have good temperament and good with children.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a beagle chiuahia mix, alittle smaller than you are looking for but if you want pure beagle size would fit. Little to no shedding. She is a really chill pup but has her moments. She can be stubborn but listens well for the most part. Just don't let them catch a scent when they arent on a leash! Shes not even 6 months yet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Golden Doodle
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Wirehaired pointing griffon

Sheepadoodle

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Up your weight limitations and get an English mastiff. Females females I've had don't drool at all. Great inside dogs. Low energy estate/family protectors!!

current pup.

Good enough to take on 12hr car rides and vacation in small rented condos despite her size.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Weimaraner

We have 2, and I think they check off all the boxes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah a malinois or a Dutchie or Czech GSD would be perfect. Low maintenance, don't require much.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#32]
If you are willing to be flexible on the size/weight requirements, Dobermans are wonderful dogs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Peeboo Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Standard Poodle.

Zero shedding, smart as hell.

Just don’t give them the stupid fufu haircut.
View Quote

Poodles are great dogs. If I didn’t just get a Doberman I’d be looking for a new poodle. Only drawback is their hair maintenance- you have to take care of it, if you don’t they get nasty because they don’t shed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Mutts tend to be the healthiest and most intelligent. My last two have been Dane Lab mixes and have averaged 120 lbs. Never needed to go to the vet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Doberman

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

He doesn’t want one of those. I have one, and he’s a great dog and over 120lbs at 9 months.  OP get a GSD, you’ll be happy.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm sorry - were you looking for a Tier 1 family dog?

Golden Retriever

The shedding is worth it.  Not really a deal breaker, IMO.

Best family dog we've ever had.  Can lay around for days at a time, then you give a little whistle, and go for a 4 mile hike.  Tail wagging the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Boxer.

View Quote

Although I don’t own one and never have I can say that the people I know that do have them ,they have been excellent with children and seem very much guardians over them without being overly aggressive. I thing if I ever do stray from the Aussie it would be a Boxer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Eh...if you can’t manage to find time to properly exercise a dog, you certainly won’t be finding the time to properly train it, which is a good indication that you don’t need a dog.
View Quote

Agree with this.  As a breeder, potential buyers fill out a Puppy Questionnaire.  If I don't like the answers I don't sell them one of my pups.  Reading your post I suspect I'd turn you down as an owner.
A puppy is a lifetime commit to the dog's health and that includes mental health.  I don't think your dog would be happy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Get a mutt.

I've had a couple vets tell me they are typically healthier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Drop the weight and shedding and get yourself an English Golden, loyal is an understatement, sharp as a tack, and does great with kids.

Here’s Remi:https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417747/CE4F8CBB-337A-4E32-8117-662519755953_jpe-1758477.JPG
View Quote

Next door neighbors have an English Golden. Amazing dog. She is just a few weeks older than our 2 GSD's. The 3 of them play together constantly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Basset hound is the answer to all dog questions.  

Unless you’d feel like more of a man walking this thing down the road:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never.

Fucking.

Fails.

No matter what the criteria is, people start vomiting "German Shepherd!" everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Not a dog person.
I like dogs but don't have the lifestyle that would be good for a dog.

Friend has a Whippet and if I were to get a dog I would opt for a Whippet after seeing how nice a dog he is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Boxer
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Drop 1 of those items and a Bullmastiff would be perfect!

Seriously!!
View Quote

the size, or the drooling?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My Brittany sheds a bit and he is considered low energy for his breed. He’s awesome and fits most of your criteria.

Btw your criteria makes it sound like you don’t want to deal with any of the downsides of owning a dog, and there are some. The puppy phase is very challenging. Just keep that in mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No just being realistic as there are obviously huge swings in breed traits on the energy front and we typically have full time work schedules, so obviously choosing an extremely high energy working dog that bare minimum requires a couple of hours of vigorous outdoor activity a day isn't going to be a good fit. That's not saying there won't be time spent with the dog however. Every dog I've owned I've raised as a puppy (3, boxer, lab mix, pug/beagle mix), I'm generally aware of what to expect there!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with this.  As a breeder, potential buyers fill out a Puppy Questionnaire.  If I don't like the answers I don't sell them one of my pups.  Reading your post I suspect I'd turn you down as an owner.
A puppy is a lifetime commit to the dog's health and that includes mental health.  I don't think your dog would be happy.

Not sure if you are reading a bit much into my words, or only breed the most energy demanding dogs known to mankind..
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you are willing to be flexible on the size/weight requirements, Dobermans are wonderful dogs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77002/328C651C-4EF9-4C61-A6D5-E23AFE07C101_jpe-1758503.JPG
View Quote

The correct choice.  And those are good looking dobes also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
The last time I went, my daughter picked up a sweet kitten.  I went to look at dogs and 80% of them were pits or pit mix.  They all growled.  First thing I though was "these dogs are getting the gas soon"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top