Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a euro type Shepard.  I have one from CZ, she's around 75 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The dog you seek is a Standard Schnauzer! Average of 30-50 lbs., Hypoallergenic, intelligent, great with kids and thrives in indoor/outdoor living situations.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agree with this.  As a breeder, potential buyers fill out a Puppy Questionnaire.  If I don't like the answers I don't sell them one of my pups.  Reading your post I suspect I'd turn you down as an owner.
A puppy is a lifetime commit to the dog's health and that includes mental health.  I don't think your dog would be happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh...if you can’t manage to find time to properly exercise a dog, you certainly won’t be finding the time to properly train it, which is a good indication that you don’t need a dog.

Agree with this.  As a breeder, potential buyers fill out a Puppy Questionnaire.  If I don't like the answers I don't sell them one of my pups.  Reading your post I suspect I'd turn you down as an owner.
A puppy is a lifetime commit to the dog's health and that includes mental health.  I don't think your dog would be happy.

you guys are making a TON of assumptions about OP based on his criteria, or you think all dogs are like German Shepherds and always need constant maintenance, attention, exercise, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
a lot of comments for high energy breeds.  OP, hunting and working dogs are going to need a lot of exercise and they need a "job" usually as well for mental health.  We got a boxer puppy when our kids were 9 or younger.  She was a great dog that checks most of your boxes but they do need training and exercise.  Maybe some type of corgi or Boston terrier, labs are a good choice but they usually have a high exercise need as well.  I have a gsp at the moment, and he is a real pain in the ass if I don't help him burn off some energy.  

You may want to look into a dog that is a few years old and has burned off a lot of that puppy energy.  Kids and dogs just generally bond easily if they all have a good temperament.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Brittany sheds a bit and he is considered low energy for his breed. He's awesome and fits most of your criteria.

Btw your criteria makes it sound like you don't want to deal with any of the downsides of owning a dog, and there are some. The puppy phase is very challenging. Just keep that in mind.
View Quote
Brittany does not equal low energy house dog with occasional walks. Unless yours is defective? They are great dogs but not in line with the OP's requirements.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Airedale
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

We had a springer spaniel named murphy when i was a kid, he was the best damn dog a man or kid could ask for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weimaraner

We have 2, and I think they check off all the boxes.
View Quote

You're nuts. Those are some of the most spastic dogs on the planet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Go down to your local humane league/whatever place and pick 2 dogs you like.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not a dog person.
I like dogs but don't have the lifestyle that would be good for a dog.

Friend has a Whippet and if I were to get a dog I would opt for a Whippet after seeing how nice a dog he is.
View Quote

Just slightly above OP's weight range at 70lbs, I have no regret for going with the full size models ;-)

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you guys are making a TON of assumptions about OP based on his criteria, or you think all dogs are like German Shepherds and always need constant maintenance, attention, exercise, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh...if you can’t manage to find time to properly exercise a dog, you certainly won’t be finding the time to properly train it, which is a good indication that you don’t need a dog.

Right? LOL

They'd probably tell me that we couldn't handle an English bulldog
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Standard Schauzer?

As a bird dog owner I would tell you a Visla is likely to be high energy and unlikely to be protective.  With the possible exception of runners who want a running companion I wouldn't recommend a hunting dog _puppy_ in a non-hunting home.  After age 4 or 5 or so its no problem, but young hunting dogs need a lot of exercise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Medium sized poodle.

Yes, for real.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to the pound and find the sadest, shyest puppy or mid aged dog sitting in the back of the kennel by him or her self.
View Quote

And bring the kids with you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The dog you seek is a Standard Schnauzer! Average of 30-50 lbs., Hypoallergenic, intelligent, great with kids and thrives in indoor/outdoor living situations.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474241/ED72F11D-D335-46DE-A286-201118D76BA3_jpe-1758543.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474241/782A611D-B6A1-4CA6-B6F2-BA043B1CB321_jpe-1758546.JPG
View Quote

Not a bad choice but not the easiest to get your hands on.

I was considering one but it was a pain to find one.

Ended up getting an Airedale.
My airedale would fit the bill perfectly.
She will about 50lbs.
Very, very smart...
Great with kids.
No shedding.
Not too big, not too small

“An Airedale can do anything any other dog can do and then whip the other dog if he has to.”
— Theodore Roosevelt
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Schnauzer
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Standard Schauzer?

As a bird dog owner I would tell you a Visla is likely to be high energy and unlikely to be protective.  With the possible exception of runners who want a running companion I wouldn't recommend a hunting dog _puppy_ in a non-hunting home.  After age 4 or 5 or so its no problem, but young hunting dogs need a lot of exercise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Standard Schauzer?

Yea, I'm reading a bit more on the Vizslas on the energy side, just can't get over how great they seem to be on the companionship/affectionate side. Have to do a bit more research on them.

Quoted:
Medium sized poodle.

Yes, for real.

I know, I wouldn't mind a poodle at all. Seem to be highly intelligent and fits on the allergy/shedding requirement, but my wife has some aversion to poodles haha..
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Finn the poodle says poodle!
Cheaper than a doodle. Plays Frisbee, fetches balls, smarter than everyone in our house. Kids have trained him to do some tricks.
Although I doubt highly it is true for all, Finn was very low key as a puppy, and although not yet 2, is very happy chilling in his sweater vest after a long day at work.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In before Ovcharka or Malinois.

on a more serious note, German Pinscher.
View Quote
I'm surprised to see someone recommend the not well known German Pinscher.  They fit the bill except they need their daily exercise otherwise they get bored.  Here's ours:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a german shorthaired pointer guy.  They are not as high strung as people make them out to be. In my experience the females if you let them go in to heat once before you spade are pretty calm. Extremely smart, affectionate, loves kids, and look great.   My male is all of those x10 but he's a bit wilder than my female.

They do shed but it's not bad if you are somewhat of a clean person (sweep once or twice a week) you can't tell.

They are a healthy breed as well. A female with smaller parents willl be around 50 lbs at the most 60.

A daily run and fenced in yard would be enough for them to run out the energy.

Weims and vizula are good dogs as well I've been around both. They seem to be a bit more skittish than the gsp but I wouldn't say no to owning one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Golden Doodle
View Quote

This, but not inexpensive.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Boxer.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is the dog I want. Boykin Spaniel
https://cdn.telanganatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BOYKIN.jpg
Pretty much checks all the boxes in the OP too
Edit:
Should be attainable in VA. This is a SC breed primarily.
Not many near Maine
View Quote

I’m partial to Spaniels.
Springer, Cocker, or English Cocker. I’ve seen some hyper Boykins. But it may be the way they were raised.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I wouldn't trust  a springer around kids. Springer rage is a real thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Golden Doodle
View Quote
he said breed, not mutt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not a bad choice but not the easiest to get your hands on.

I was considering one but it was a pain to find one.

Ended up getting an Airedale.
My airedale would fit the bill perfectly.
She will about 50lbs.
Very, very smart...
Great with kids.
No shedding.
Not too big, not too small

"An Airedale can do anything any other dog can do and then whip the other dog if he has to."
Theodore Roosevelt
View Quote
Airedales like all terriers can be assholes. Not recommended for people who don't have much experience with dogs.
They also should be hand stripped to maintain the layers in the wire coat but most people ruin them and have them shaved.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If you like to hunt - Drahthaar!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
MacKenzie says a boxer is the correct answer

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Idaho? Breeder?

What do you breed. Wife is ready for dogs again. She likes them paired up. Not same breed, but buddies.

She doesn't like shedders and is religious about brushing if watrantd.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Op requests options in the 30-50 pound range. Arf delivers heavyweights and crack head vislas and such.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Lab fan here so that's what I'll recommend, even though a smaller female would exceed your weight requirement by 10 lbs. or so. They'll certainly give those two kids a run for their money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shiloh shepherd

A 30-50 pound dog is just a waste. If I’m getting a dog, I want one big enough that can at least look intimidating to someone
View Quote

Have you ever encountered a blue heeler?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Boston Terrier.  Try to find a puppy with larger parents, the breed standard is a little smaller than your range.  My little buddy had big parents, and he was 29lbs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Find a good breeder who is breeding golden retrievers back to the smaller standards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Breed of peace:
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Brittany does not equal low energy house dog with occasional walks. Unless yours is defective? They are great dogs but not in line with the OP's requirements.
View Quote

Mine is kind of defective TBH. Both his gun dog trainer and his obedience trainer have commented on how chill he is. TBF I did hand pick him from the litter as he was a lot more calm than the other pups, and I have 2 young kids. I only hunt a few times a year so its a great mix.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I think a doodle breed checks your boxes.

Bernedoodle, Goldendoodle, Sheepdoodle, Aussiedoodle.

They are considered “designer breeds”. I have a medium size female Bernedoodle. Medium breeds are in the 40lb range. Just the right size, no shedding, no stinking, smart and she was easy to potty train and picked up on her basic manners from a trainer rather fast.

Portuguese Water Dogs sound like a breed you would be happy with also. Mine passed away a year ago. She was 11 years old.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
MacKenzie says a boxer is the correct answer

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138344/20210101_105216_jpg-1758598.JPG
View Quote
Boxers are hard to beat for a family.  Just make sure the breeder tests for heart problems and DM.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My Brittany sheds a bit and he is considered low energy for his breed. He’s awesome and fits most of your criteria.

Btw your criteria makes it sound like you don’t want to deal with any of the downsides of owning a dog, and there are some. The puppy phase is very challenging. Just keep that in mind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP should start running 20 miles a week
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never heard of it.
Owned 2 and family owned 2 or 3 others.
I'm skeptical
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get a mutt.

I've had a couple vets tell me they are typically healthier.
View Quote
Hybrid vigor.

We are serious dog people. We've had lots of labradors and lots of great Danes, three boxers, a couple dachshunds, a springer, and a Weimaraner. But our best all-around dogs have been mutts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never heard of it.
I'm skeptical
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of it.
I'm skeptical
Google it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Vizsla. We have had 3 males and they are all wonderful family pets. Very affectionate - they're often called "velcro Vizslas". They do require some exercise or they can become neurotic, but we found that having 2 means they play with each other if we don't have time to entertain them. They do shed a little from time to time, but the hair is tiny. Males will may break your upper limit of 50 pounds, especially if they're fed too much.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Have you ever encountered a blue heeler?
View Quote

Op doesn't have the schedule to be a cattle dog owner. I had one, biggest mistake I've made with a dog as i didn't have enough time to dedicate to him as well. They get bored really fuckin quick and tear shit up to the extreme, and hard headed as hell but smart.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Boxer
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Collie.

With the exception of shedding, a Collie breed will fill all your listed requirements.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Golden Retriever doesn't check all the boxes, but that breed was built for being family dogs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Jack Russell?

Seems like a hard list to satisfy OP.  What things on your list are you most flexible on?  Weight?  Shedding?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried this AKC Breed Selector and plugged in your criteria.  It came up with a Boston Terrier.  I guessed on a couple of the questions.  Try it and see what it tells you.  Can't hurt.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top