Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
American Staffordshire Terrier

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american-staffordshire-terrier/
Make sure your dog has good papers and good breeding, lots of mutts and pound puppies out there which are unpredictable or anti-social.
One more thing, don't dock their ears and tail, leave what nature gave them!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time I went, my daughter picked up a sweet kitten.  I went to look at dogs and 80% of them were pits or pit mix.  They all growled.  First thing I though was "these dogs are getting the gas soon"
View Quote

I definitely avoid the growlers, they'll bite!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just slightly above OP's weight range at 70lbs, I have no regret for going with the full size models ;-)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/7463927A-AE31-43D7-AEFC-C54B31F0C1E5-1016703.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a dog person.
I like dogs but don't have the lifestyle that would be good for a dog.

Friend has a Whippet and if I were to get a dog I would opt for a Whippet after seeing how nice a dog he is.

Just slightly above OP's weight range at 70lbs, I have no regret for going with the full size models ;-)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/7463927A-AE31-43D7-AEFC-C54B31F0C1E5-1016703.jpg

@compass
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Laberdoodle or Goldendoodle

Maybe a Corgi for a smaller dog
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And bring the kids with you.
View Quote

This is what I did last round.   He picked and the dog is awesome.  

She was abused and a little weird for a few months but it's worked out well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
These threads always bring the oddest answers.

Get a mutt.  A schauzer mix wouldn't be a bad choice.

My wife recently conned me into a Border Collie.  Great dog, but an epic pain in the ass as a puppy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My wife recently conned me into a Border Collie.  Great dog, but an epic pain in the ass as a puppy.
View Quote

So in other words, an average puppy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Chihuahua...
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@compass
View Quote

Greyhounds are the best dogs ever.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Vizslas are extremely hyper until they are about 2 years old... They are even more hyper and needy of attention than weimaraners.  Stay away from these if you want a "mellow" puppy and dog that can be left alone for long periods.

Cocker spaniel or mix would probably suit your criteria, as would the corgi.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been around a lot of puppies, this one is a Tier 1 PITA.

FWIW the pit puppies I have raised have all been a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#12]

OP wants a dog thats lazy, doesnt shed, doesnt drool, and is good with kids. Greyhound matches all of those, plus theres a huge need for greyhound adoptions right now with all the Florida tracks closing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Lab corgi mix (Corgi-dor)

I have a Blue Heeler and Brittany and they are great, but the pup in my avatar is one of the smartest friggin' dogs I have ever owned.  She meets every requirement you listed.

Last February is when I got her, she was 4 months old:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Golden Doodle.Attachment Attached File

pic from show "The Pack" Kentucky & Derby.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Standard Poodle

Thank me later
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Pit bull
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Poodles are great dogs. If I didn’t just get a Doberman I’d be looking for a new poodle. Only drawback is their hair maintenance- you have to take care of it, if you don’t they get nasty because they don’t shed.
View Quote

A haircut every three to four months is all I have ever done and his coat is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yea, I'm reading a bit more on the Vizslas on the energy side, just can't get over how great they seem to be on the companionship/affectionate side. Have to do a bit more research on them.

I know, I wouldn't mind a poodle at all. Seem to be highly intelligent and fits on the allergy/shedding requirement, but my wife has some aversion to poodles haha..
View Quote

I have a Vizsla.  If you don't have an hour and a half a day at least to run him off leash don't bother.  Having said that, there is no more affectionate and lovable dog.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Greyhound is what you seek
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Australian Shepherd.
View Quote

Why do you hate OP?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have owned a viszla and a weimaraner. I currently have a mini aussie and an irish setter. They are all aweaome family dogs but do require walks or at least a yard big enough for some daily play time. Any sporting breed will be a great family dog with proper training and socialization.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#23]
If you keep them groomed, Norwegian Elkhounds would fit the bill.  Only drawbacks are: shed 2-3 times/year, they ALWAYS need love from whatever human they bond with.  

Boxers would be another solid choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Finn the poodle says poodle!
Cheaper than a doodle. Plays Frisbee, fetches balls, smarter than everyone in our house. Kids have trained him to do some tricks.
Although I doubt highly it is true for all, Finn was very low key as a puppy, and although not yet 2, is very happy chilling in his sweater vest after a long day at work.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33704/IMG_20190622_155500494_2_jpg-1758593.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33704/1602856657559_2_jpg-1758597.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33704/IMG_20201207_151538_jpg-1758590.JPG
View Quote

Is that my package?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Golden Retrever
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Golden Retriever is a great choice. Just watch the bloodline, it seems they have a cancer problem now.
Lost our girl at just 7YO. She was beautiful and deserving of any superlative. Best dog ever IMHO.

Now we have two Go-laskans. Golden retriever/Alaskan Husky mixes. Outstanding dogs. Very attractive, smart, super loyal and people oriented. Also quiet. Not as high energy as a Husky, ours are content to nap at your feet if you’re just watching TV or whatever. Bring mutts we don’t expect the same health concerns.

Google Goberian for an idea. Ours come from an almost pure white Alaskan dad, so are very light colored. 50-60 pounds. Some shedding, but so worth it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Goldens. they are the best lovable tards. Not protective, but I have guns for that so who cares
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Golden Doodle
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Weimaraner

We have 2, and I think they check off all the boxes.
View Quote

How is a bird dog not high energy?

OP get a Yorkshire Terrier since you don't want to train or play often
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the mentions so far, I've also take a look at several "breed selector" sites and so far these are the ones in the mix:

Hamilton Hound
Harrier
Portuguese Pointer
Vizsla
Boxer
Mutt/Mix isn't out of the question at all if I can get a feel for its temperament based on its parents or breed origins

Also, I keep seeing comments that seem to show some are taking my list to the extreme.. If I have something on the list, it's a factor, but not an absolute. For example, when I say not a drooler, I'm not saying a dog that drools at all isn't acceptable, I'm saying if there is a breed that is known for extreme amounts of drooling, I'll probably avoid it. If I say allergies and shedding are a concern, I'm not saying it can't shed at all or has to be perfectly hypoallergenic, I'm saying I would want to avoid a breed that is known to shed on the high side. Not sure what is so hard to comprehend with some of y'all...quit the knee jerk presumptions to the max, maybe stay off social media and lay off the caffeine for a while lol..
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lab corgi mix (Corgi-dor)

I have a Blue Heeler and Brittany and they are great, but the pup in my avatar is one of the smartest friggin' dogs I have ever owned.  She meets every requirement you listed.

Last February is when I got her, she was 4 months old:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350925/Scout1_png-1758750.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350925/Sout_jpg-1758755.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350925/ScoutSun_jpg-1758757.JPG
View Quote

My mysterious mix (Corgi-Tard)

Attachment Attached File

The other mutt AKA: The Burrito Bandito

Attachment Attached File

Low energy doesn't even begin to describe The Bandito.  She comes out at night for unattended munchies.   Mostly.  The Tard has to herp and derp a bit daily if you want to stay sane.

Both are ridiculously great with the midge.  That's my main goal atm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Monte has been with us since Oct '12

Derry came to us in Feb '14

Goddard and Monte

Madrid was my wife's birthday present request from this Spring

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/046FF9E1-80F8-4BF8-8E0B-247C204523A0-1758868.jpg" />

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/1016684E-827F-4C3F-99B6-8B00330EF4BA-1758818.jpg" />

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have a German Shorthair Pointer/Lab mix, and he is one of the most mellow dogs I've ever seen.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OP get a Yorkshire Terrier since you don't want to train or play often
View Quote

I've had 3 gsps in my life I'm 30. We have had 2 females and 1 male. The females are calmer but none of them are out of this world high energy.  Listening to the internet about dog breeds is like Googling medical conditions

Our male is more velcro than the females.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have a household with a wife and two kids (5 and 8) and about a year ago we lost our Pug, crushed the kids. Initially thought we weren't going to get another dog, but you know how that goes...

So we're looking for a dog that would have the following traits or most of them...

• 30-50 lbs

• Great with kids

• Obedient yet intelligent, not overly stubborn

• Protective but not aggressive

• Not an extremely high energy demand breed. Will be an indoor dog primarily, but I have a fenced in back yard; ability to cope with periods of lower energy without being destructive since we have full time schedules. E.g. we aren't going to be taking the dog on daily runs.

• Low to no shedding, easy on allergies if possible

• Not a big drooler

What are some suggestions?

ETA:

Thanks for the mentions so far, I've also take a look at several "breed selector" sites and so far these are the ones in the mix:

Hamilton Hound
Harrier
Portuguese Pointer
Vizsla
Boxer
Mutt/Mix isn't out of the question at all if I can get a feel for its temperament based on its parents or breed origins

Also, I keep seeing comments that seem to show some are taking my list to the extreme.. If I have something on the list, it's a factor, but not an absolute. For example, when I say not a drooler, I'm not saying a dog that drools at all isn't acceptable, I'm saying if there is a breed that is known for extreme amounts of drooling, I'll probably avoid it. If I say allergies and shedding are a concern, I'm not saying it can't shed at all or has to be perfectly hypoallergenic, I'm saying I would want to avoid a breed that is known to shed on the high side. Not sure what is so hard to comprehend with some of y'all...quit the knee jerk presumptions to the max, maybe stay off social media and lay off the caffeine for a while lol..
View Quote

Schnauzer is the dog you're looking for.

A standard poodle would be on the big end, 50-60lbs usually. Maybe you could find a smaller line and it'd work.

But you've basically described a schnauzer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have a household with a wife and two kids (5 and 8) and about a year ago we lost our Pug, crushed the kids. Initially thought we weren't going to get another dog, but you know how that goes...

So we're looking for a dog that would have the following traits or most of them...

• 30-50 lbs

• Great with kids

• Obedient yet intelligent, not overly stubborn

• Protective but not aggressive

• Not an extremely high energy demand breed. Will be an indoor dog primarily, but I have a fenced in back yard; ability to cope with periods of lower energy without being destructive since we have full time schedules. E.g. we aren't going to be taking the dog on daily runs.

• Low to no shedding, easy on allergies if possible

• Not a big drooler

What are some suggestions?

ETA:

Hamilton Hound
Harrier
Portuguese Pointer
Vizsla
Boxer

View Quote

You sir are looking for a mut. Hit up a rescue, take the kids, and the dog will find you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s GD so you’ll get shit on if you pick anything other than a golden retriever. Just like if you buy any car other than Toyota.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a dog person.
I like dogs but don't have the lifestyle that would be good for a dog.

Friend has a Whippet and if I were to get a dog I would opt for a Whippet after seeing how nice a dog he is.
View Quote

So far this is the best suggestion.  It's counter intuitive, but Whippets and Greyhounds, despite being incredibly fast, are really good at lounging around all the time.  The Whippet will meet the rest of your criteria as well.  However, I have heard that they can be a little bit of a pain to deal with as puppies, but your experience may be different.  With the amount of rescue dogs available, I'm sure you could find a whippet or whippet mix that's a year or two old.

But, I'm a big fan of just picking a rescue mutt after screening them for aggressive behavior.  You could always decide to foster a dog and if it works out, you keep it.  If it doesn't work out, you can pass it back to the org or help it get adopted.  Hard to do with kids though, as they could get attached.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The dog you seek is a Standard Schnauzer! Average of 30-50 lbs., Hypoallergenic, intelligent, great with kids and thrives in indoor/outdoor living situations.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474241/ED72F11D-D335-46DE-A286-201118D76BA3_jpe-1758543.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/474241/782A611D-B6A1-4CA6-B6F2-BA043B1CB321_jpe-1758546.JPG
View Quote

My parents have had 5 miniature schnauzers so far.   Friendliest dogs you'll ever meet, awesome personalities.
The 4 girls they had/have rarely bark at all.  The boy, on the other hand, doesn't shut up.
The 4 girls are pretty laid back, the boy is a bit wired.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Weimaraner, And German Short Hair Pointers are my breeds of choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Beagle!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#43]
A German Shepherd named 'Panzer Lufthund Blitzkreg Luger Schnitzen' or similar.  It's the ARF GD way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#44]
No fucks given. Don’t understand the hate here.
My pitbull falls under your list of dogs.
Lightweight, doesn’t really shed, he grew up from 3 months old (10 years old now) with kids and special needs kid in home, protective, but not too protective. Love new people and new dogs that come over. I trained him myself. We take him camping and loves to swim. Perfect dog for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#45]
ACD/Blue Heeler. 40 lbs. smart as fuck. will not leave the children’s side when outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Miniature Schnauzer- not much shedding, loving lap dogs, love to play, and excellent alarm systems. Just don’t leave 1.5# of ground beef patties where she can reach. Here is Minnie, after eating said ground beef
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Youve got a greyt pack!

I think we're content with one, but shes a great dog.
View Quote

Thanks! Yeah, and two would've been fine too, but you are seeing us a few foster fails later ;-)

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's counter intuitive, but Whippets and Greyhounds, despite being incredibly fast, are really good at lounging around all the time.
View Quote

I think all of the fast dogs are lazy if they aren't actually running.  One of my childhood friends had a saluki that just slept all day.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top