Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let's get one thing straight - the lumens output these flashlight makers and sellers publish is NOT what you're going to get. Period.

They know big numbers sell, so they publish the manufacturer's numbers (usually Cree), but you have to understand Cree obtains those numbers under lab conditions and from a bare emitter. By the time you enclose the emitter in a flashlight head, attach a reflector, then direct the light through a lens, the output is much reduced. It just stands to reason that the light captured in a dome used to measure output is going to be more than the light directed into a narrow cone (the reflector) and pushed out through a plastic or glass lens, and even the reflective surface of that cone can't make up for the light lost.

And battery type and circuitry is also going to affect "real" output, since most emitters run in a range of voltages and amperages.

Lumen ratings are okay for comparison purposes, but one guy's flashlight with a given emitter is going put out different lumens from another guy's flashlight with the same emitter, due to design differences.

Please describe for the class how the ANSI testing works and how they determine lumens ratings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking only for the MT26, it is built like the proverbial tank.  Rock solid, smooth threading, excellent feel on the tail cap, great knurling and anodizing. . .The front end can get a little warm if used in turbo/high mode for a long time with 18650s, an probably with CR123As.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Go here: Deal Extreme

Spend about $100 and wait 2 months.  Don't believe any of the lumen claims, but in the 300-500 range the ones that look like a more popular, more expensive light are sometimes fairly close.

When you break your $21.43 400 lumen light, don't cry, just pull out the backup light you could afford because you spent $21.43 on the first one.

I have dozen's of lights, some high-end, some not so much.  The nice ones are alot nicer than their knock-off bretherin, but the cheapest piece of crap on DX is loads better than that old plastic ray-o-vac that used to be the standard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

how good are these nitecore lights. the spec sheets look REALLY good on them. quality?

Nitecore is top quality, above and beyond even other top of the line lights. I bought the same EC25 light for my brother this Xmas and must say it's awesome. Also comes with a pocket clip and a sheath. Love all the modes it has and the output for the package size is very impressive. It will fit a 3100 or lager battery if anyone is wondering.

Purchase this light and you will not be disappointed.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently picked up one of the new stream light 600 lumin lights for seventy bucks, its a great light and has a place on my nightstand for when I hear a bump in the night.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the quality lights recommended in this thread are ANSI rated so the numbers they quote are spot on. Klarus, Fenix, Foursevens, Jetbeam, and Nitecore are all ANSI rated.

I have an NIST traceable light meter.  Light intensity is subject to inverse square law.  Where is the light sensor positioned to get the Lumen rating?
I would like to measure some of these myself.

You would need an integrated sphere to get correct lumen ratings
Lumens are overall light output, so you essentially have to "capture" it in order to measure. Peak beam intensity is very different, although you can draw relations between different peak levels with evening methods, such as ceiling bounce, or capturing in a box, etc. and then using known lumen rating lights, come to estimated lumen ratings on other lights

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's get one thing straight - the lumens output these flashlight makers and sellers publish is NOT what you're going to get. Period.

They know big numbers sell, so they publish the manufacturer's numbers (usually Cree), but you have to understand Cree obtains those numbers under lab conditions and from a bare emitter. By the time you enclose the emitter in a flashlight head, attach a reflector, then direct the light through a lens, the output is much reduced. It just stands to reason that the light captured in a dome used to measure output is going to be more than the light directed into a narrow cone (the reflector) and pushed out through a plastic or glass lens, and even the reflective surface of that cone can't make up for the light lost.

And battery type and circuitry is also going to affect "real" output, since most emitters run in a range of voltages and amperages.

Lumen ratings are okay for comparison purposes, but one guy's flashlight with a given emitter is going put out different lumens from another guy's flashlight with the same emitter, due to design differences.

Please describe for the class how the ANSI testing works and how they determine lumens ratings.

He isn't that far off; emitter lumens ratings are very often used to advertise lights, and the "out the front" lumens are always less, there is always loss from reflector, lens, etc, even with TIR lenses.

Same model flashlight, light to light, they will be very close.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ultrafire wf-502b.
Advertised as 1000 lumens. Comes with 2 18650 batts and a charger. I get 28 mins of run time on high, and its waterproof, shock resistant  and has 5 modes. Dual springs for weapon mounting. Switch leaves a bit to be desired, no momentary on. Good light, and they are on ebay for @ $13.
http://cloud2.lbox.me/images/384x384/201205/ultrafire-wf-502b-flashlight-with-cree-t6-led_xhqgjl1337922935223.jpg

Not to rain on your parade, but the 502 isn't waterproof. It has some o-rings where it comes apart, but don't submerge it or you'll be disappointed. I'd call it water resistant.

Also, the lumens of output are wildly overstated, especially by Chinese and ebay sellers. There is no single-emitter flashlight out there that produces 1000 lumens. The XM-L is the brightest thing going right now, and you'll do well to get a true 500 l;umens OTF (out the front). The lumens rating is good only for comparison purposes.

Uhh, sst-90 emitters can put out over 2000 lumens
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditto on the Streamlight. Just did the same one and also put a 200 Lumens streamlight on the same order....Both are from their Protac series.

It's amazing how bright the "little" one is too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I have some DX (deal extreme) light sabers.  All use an 18650 rechargeable Li battery.

I have several SSC P7 Auroras that I use for night riding, car carry, nightstand.   They claim 900 lumens, it's definitely bright.  Several years of using them, I'm quite happy. Lets me ride my bike very fast through the forest.  You can take the reflector head off and use it as a candle.  runs >24 hrs on low setting.  > 90 mins on burner setting.   I'll post a picture of my awesome handlebar mount later.  

I have one 2300 Lumen SST-90 light that uses 3 18650 batts.  Really, it's only good for setting GPS satellites on fire. In blinky mode it will induce seizures in earthworms and trees. Really, it's too bright for normal use, best suited for handing to my drunk friends.  

ETA:
On 18650 batts:  I have a few chargers, and a bunch of batts.  They charge quickly enough.  Over the last 5+ years I've had two batteries fail open (won't charge, won't discharge).  I have nine spares right now.  Very easy to manage.  Much more oomph than AA or AAA systems, especially when you factor in the cost of replacements in a heavy use profile.

If I wasn't overwhelmingly satisfied with this system I would not be recommending it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He isn't that far off; emitter lumens ratings are very often used to advertise lights, and the "out the front" lumens are always less, there is always loss from reflector, lens, etc, even with TIR lenses.

Same model flashlight, light to light, they will be very close.

He still has no clue about the actual testing most quality lights go through.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
(Camping + desert) * needing a light = Kerosene lantern.

Yup. I got a Dietz "Jupiter" lantern from Lehman's and I love it!

A good lantern is definitely worth having. I'll buy a couple more for my SHTF stash.
I have a battery Lantern

i have one of those.

they work but are MUCH smaller and lower power than i expected. in my living room you get enough light to not trip over the furniture but that is a bout it. would do fine in a small tent or for reading but not much more IMHO.

thats weird... bought three for hurricane duty based on a thread here 2 years ago.
tried one out and it lights up a 12x12 room pretty well... didnt do much more testing though guess I need to take one outside and test it out
ETA: this thread sucks, costing me money
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(Camping + desert) * needing a light = Kerosene lantern.

Yup. I got a Dietz "Jupiter" lantern from Lehman's and I love it!

A good lantern is definitely worth having. I'll buy a couple more for my SHTF stash.
I have a battery Lantern

i have one of those.

they work but are MUCH smaller and lower power than i expected. in my living room you get enough light to not trip over the furniture but that is a bout it. would do fine in a small tent or for reading but not much more IMHO.

thats weird... bought three for hurricane duty based on a thread here 2 years ago.

tried one out and it lights up a 12x12 room pretty well... didnt do much more testing though guess I need to take one outside and test it out

ETA: this thread sucks, costing me money

Yea the lantern I have works well and lights my living room as well.

Maybe the mod got a bad one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't decide if I want a pocket rocket torch or a big handheld.

Fenix PD32 ultimate  vs Fenix TK41

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Get both!

I have the Surefire m952 on my AR.
2 Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L's
2 Streamlight Pro-Tac HL's
3 Streamlight "Floodlights"

And a punch of other random ones. Just don't get one that requires anything BUT batteries.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Get both!

And a punch of other random ones. Just don't get one that requires anything BUT batteries.

lol the wife says I can only buy one and that's if I can sell my 1911 replica airgun.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Look at the Jetbeam RRT-01 before you settle on the Fenix PD32. Infinitely variable and 500 lumens on an RCR123. It is a bad ass little light.

The Jetbeam EA4 is a lot smaller than the TK41 and every bit as bright with better throw.

Fenix makes a damn good light too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Do not have time now to read 4 pages, however, I have been happy with any Fenix product.
Is like the BRD, ya just want brighter and brighter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I want more of a flood than a spot beam, do the zoomable models work well?  Want it for checking cows in a corral.  Too many coyotes around to calve in the fields.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want more of a flood than a spot beam, do the zoomable models work well?  Want it for checking cows in a corral.  Too many coyotes around to calve in the fields.

How about a tight hot spot with a good floody spill?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Get both!

lol the wife says I can only buy one and that's if I can sell my 1911 replica airgun.  

315 rated lumens versus 8 AA batteries?  Hmmmm ,,,,
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Look at the Jetbeam RRT-01 before you settle on the Fenix PD32. Infinitely variable and 500 lumens on an RCR123. It is a bad ass little light.

The Jetbeam EA4 is a lot smaller than the TK41 and every bit as bright with better throw.

The ea4 is short and fat unless i am looking at the wrong light.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

Get both!

315 rated lumens versus 8 AA batteries?  Hmmmm ,,,,

My bad PD32 ultimate 740 lumens.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

About the same diameter as the body of the TK41 but much shorter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

It could fit inside the core of a roll of toilet paper.

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix PD32 vs Fenix TK41

It could fit inside the core of a roll of toilet paper.

I think you guys are referring to the Nitecore when you say EA4 ? It is the size of a core from a roll of toilet paper.  

Once again, this Nitecore EA4 is one hell of a flashlight. What you get for the money quality wise and light output is amazing. I don't know why anyone would get a 200 lumen or so light that also runs on 4AA batteries for the same or more money from some of these other manufactures when there are light like this and Jetbeam and Fenix available. You just get more light and more choices for you money.
4AAs and of course you can run quality rechargeable as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I measured the output of two NEBO made in china 8 LED flashlights ($5.95 ea 3x AAA).  The lux scale overranged, but the KiloFootCandle scale read 2.35 and 2.63 respectively.  I think this corresponds to approx 2528 lux and 2829 lux respectively

Light meter is AEMC Model CA813 NIST traceable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I measured the output of two NEBO made in china 8 LED flashlights ($5.95 ea 3x AAA).  The lux scale overranged, but the KiloFootCandle scale read 2.35 and 2.63 respectively.  I think this corresponds to approx 2528 lux and 2829 lux respectively

Light meter is AEMC Model CA813 NIST traceable.

You should read this and the links from the page.

http://flashlightreviews.com/features/output_vs_throw.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Best advice I found in the linked info.:

My suggestion to you is to ignore the manufacturer's light output rating on almost any light you buy.

So...it is a crap shoot.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Best advice I found in the linked info.:

My suggestion to you is to ignore the manufacturer's light output rating on almost any light you buy.

So...it is a crap shoot.  Good luck!

That is the least accurate piece of info in this thread when it comes to quality light manufacturers. Companies like Foursevens, Fenix, Jetbeam, Klarus, and Nitecore are using third party testing to ANSI specifications. This means they send in a light or series of lights to have them tested to standards. Out the front testing not emitter lumens.

The deal extreme cheapo lights are stating emitter lumens and not out the front ANSI lumens.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks to those who suggested the Nitecore EA4.  I'm always looking for a better all-around "truck" light and due it it being AA with good output, this seems like a great option.  Going to look into it more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

got my nitecore p25 in today.

HOLY SHIT!  this light blew my expectations out of the water. i have little doubt the advertised output is very close. it is significantly brighter than me 400lm jetbeam. seriously good light for 100.00 shipped with an 18650 battery. i have to admit the build quality so far rivals any surefire i have ever owned.

Damn that was fast shipping.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

trustfire Cree c8 1000 lumen, best $20 you'll ever spend in flashlights.

thank me later

OP.  I just ordered two of these lights and a battery kit with charger from batteryjunction.com

HOLLLLYY  FUCKINGGGG     SHITTTTTTT    

retarded stupid ass fuck fuck bright.   strobe feature is the tits muh-gilacutty

using them as GP home lights ..  still going to get the fenix for my lid.  but you can not beat the value of these trustfire things
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

OP.  I just ordered two of these lights and a battery kit with charger from batteryjunction.com  

retarded stupid ass fuck fuck bright.   strobe feature is the tits muh-gilacutty

using them as GP home lights ..  still going to get the fenix for my lid.  but you can not beat the value of these trustfire things

I think I'll get a Fenix pd32 as well.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard this one might jump start the sun.

The Torch
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a Browning Alpha Max 140L model that runs on one AA at Bass Pro fro $44 and change. Son of a bitch is bright! Run time of 1.5 hours on high and 20 on low. Only for inches long. The clip is also facing the opposite of most so you can clip it to the bill of a hat if you wear one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The Torch

10 minute battery life. lol

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The Torch

Battery Lifetime:

5-10 Minutes

So, is it used to flash fry your food?

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

yeah couldn't have said it better haha, the strobe will induce a gran mal seizure from 30 yards away.  I have burned the rods and cones in my eyes fucking purple with that thing.

cannot be beat for $20
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

yeah couldn't have said it better haha, the strobe will induce a gran mal seizure from 30 yards away.  I have burned the rods and cones in my eyes fucking purple with that thing.

cannot be beat for $20

So it uses 123a's or just 18650's?

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

got my nitecore p25 in today.

HOLY SHIT! this light blew my expectations out of the water. i have little doubt the advertised output is very close. it is significantly brighter than me 400lm jetbeam. seriously good light for 100.00 shipped with an 18650 battery. i have to admit the build quality so far rivals any surefire i have ever owned.

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1217800-nitecore-ea4w-cree-xm-l-u2-ha-iii-8-mode-860-lumen

Longer throw, and uses 4 AAs (eneloops FTW) $47 when you enter the coupon "PRICECONTROL" at checkout.

Ships from Hong Kong, but these guys actually understand customer service. Mine shipped the next day and took less than two weeks to receive (free shipping). FASTTECH emailed me the next week- did I receive my light? Any problems? Great company.

ETA:  http://www.fasttech.com/products/1228000

EC25W (neutral white) for $55 shipped
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

cannot be beat for $20

I bought the 18650s with a charger, I thought it would take 123s too....let me check

ETA: yes runs just as well on 123s
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#47]
So has anyone put an eye out or blinded them in this thread yet?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

A couple of years ago I bought 3 of the Fenix PD30 Premium R2s.  I put one on a rifle.  The other two get carried daily.  They have been washed, dried, dropped, baked, frozen, and otherwise used and abused.  

They are still holding up great.  I replace the batteries once a year whether they need it or not.  It's usually pretty close.  These lights replaced some Surefire Executive E something battery eaters.  No regrets.

As much as I love buying new flashlights, I simply have not had the urge since getting these.    

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of years ago I bought 3 of the Fenix PD30 Premium R2s.  I put one on a rifle.  The other two get carried daily.  They have been washed, dried, dropped, baked, frozen, and otherwise used and abused.  

They are still holding up great.  I replace the batteries once a year whether they need it or not.  It's usually pretty close.  These lights replaced some Surefire Executive E something battery eaters.  No regrets.

As much as I love buying new flashlights, I simply have not had the urge since getting these.    

Thanks for the little review.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thank me later

cannot be beat for $20

I bought the 18650s with a charger, I thought it would take 123s too....let me check

ETA: yes runs just as well on 123s

Sweet I'll probably get one as a back up.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top