BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This map should embarrass the hell out of every conservative/republican:

https://www.drivecms.com/uploads/mcelroytutoring.com/Screen%20Shot%202023-11-20%20at%207.05.18%20PM.png
View Quote

If I'm understanding this map correctly, Wyoming is tied for the dumbest state in the country?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I finished Blood Meridian and it was a great story, but holy hell, it was a hard read. I bought some of his other books but haven't started them because I'm afraid, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Write a complete sentence. They don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence or the I's. They also don't add punctuation. I have seen a student write one whole page essay without a period.

Leave Cormac McCarthy alone!

Kharn

I finished Blood Meridian and it was a great story, but holy hell, it was a hard read. I bought some of his other books but haven't started them because I'm afraid, lol.

Holy shit, same here with Blood Meridian.

The others are a bit less taxing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Other things I noticed about 15-18 year olds:

-almost all of them have zero idea how our government works. They think the President is THE power in the government and the SCOUTS has no right to strike down laws.
View Quote

Strictly speaking, Scouts do not have that check on the legislative and executive branches.  SCOTUS, on the other hand…
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
“We just need them to register to vote be smart enough to punch a ballot for the candidates we will do the rest. tell them to choose.  We’ll give them money to live on in exchange.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a deliberate dumbing down of the general population.  Makes it easeir for the police state to control them.  I am sure covid made this worse.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The business minor actually a great idea.  My son is a 17 yr old junior and is trying to figure out what he wants to do.  He really likes chemistry, but isn't sure. I've told him, "Whatever you decide to do, make sure to get some business classes under your belt because every single career eventually turns into running a business and a large focus on sales.  If you want to be an electrician, you'll start by crawling around under houses working for someone else. Then you'll go independent and get a van and an assistant . . . then before you know it you have 5 vans and 8 or 9 people working for your and your job is 90% running the business and generating new business. Same goes for engineers or lawyers or dentists.  I'm a lawyer with an economics degree and an MBA and it was shocking how little business knowledge my fellow law students had - and the complete lack of law school instruction regarding how to actually run a law practice.  I'm a partner now and and being able to do budgets and sales and collections is more important than simply knowing the legal side of things.  If you don't have the business chops, you're just a worker drone. A pharmacy program probably doesn't spend much time at all teaching students how to profitably run a pharmacy.
View Quote

Good points.

My eldest is going to have about 80 transferrable credits when she graduates, (if she stays in-state) I expect it will be a nightmare. Maybe a double major would help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Teachers are mad and quitting because students don't know what they're supposed to know.

Hmmm.

View Quote

Let's say you have a class of 28 6th graders.  You give them a screener and find that 18 are at a 3rd grade level.  The 18 need small group intervention to be brought up to grade level, only you can't do small group because half of the kids are shit heads or else just have no impulse control.  Administration expects that 75% perform at a high level on a very rigorous State exam in May.  You have no help.  The kids do not respect nor fear you.  Their parents are white trash fucktards who answer any communication with fucking nonsense or "I'll come down there and fight everyone!"  Then consider that these teachers are highly emotional women who are getting divorced, are divorced, or are trying to manage a household.  It's kind of a shit sandwich for many of them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sounds like federalized education was a mistake to me.  No Child Left Behind is a perfect example of why "bipartisan" and RINO's are usually bad for the country
View Quote

It's nothing more than daycare

Uncle Sugar will pick the kids up in public school bus, you don't even have to get out of bed, just send the little future felons to the bus stop.
The daycare will feed them, soon I suspect even cloth them.  Fill their heads with the approved narrative and bus them back home to the provided government housing.

Perfect system
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I'm understanding this map correctly, Wyoming is tied for the dumbest state in the country?
View Quote

Lowest test scores at the high end, anyway.

Those numbers correspond to the 99th percentile in the state.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We homeschool. This morning I was working on graphing with my ten year old, and in the past few weeks I have helped my 11 y/o with solving for the unknown and my 7 y/o with rounding.

These are not advanced concepts
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This was on another site. From what I gather in the thread, this is a normal high school not in a poor area.

I teach high school. Age range 15-18 years old. I have seen students who can't do the following:

-Read at grade level. Some come into my classroom at a 3rd/4th grade reading level. There are some students who cannot sound out words.

-Write a complete sentence. They don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence or the I's. They also don't add punctuation. I have seen a student write one whole page essay without a period.

-Spell simple words.

-Add or subtract double-digits. For example, they can't solve 27-13 in their head. They also cannot do it on paper. They need a calculator.

-Know their multiplication tables.

-Round

-Graph

-Understand the concept of negative.

-Understand percentages.

-Solve one-step variable equations. For example, if I tell them "2x = 8. Solve for x," they can't solve it. They would subtract by 2 on both sides instead of dividing by 2.

-Take notes.

-Follow an example. They have a hard time transferring the patterns that they see in an example to a new problem.

-No research skills. The phrases they use to google are too vague when they search for information. For example, if I ask them to research the 5 types of chemical reactions, they only type in "reactions" in Google. When I explain that Google cannot read minds and they have to be very specific with their wording, they just stare at me confused. But even if their search phrases are good, they do not click on the links. They just read the excerpt Google provided them. If the answer is not in the excerpts, they give up.

-Just because they know how to use their phones does not mean they know how to use a computer. They are not familiar with common keyboard shortcuts. They also cannot type properly. Some students type using their index fingers.

These are just some things I can name at the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few that I missed here.

Now, as a teacher, I try my best to fill in the gaps. But I want the general public to understand that when the gap list is this big, it is nearly impossible to teach my curriculum efficiently. This is part of the reason why teachers are quitting in droves. You ask teachers to do the impossible and then vilify them for not achieving it. You cannot expect us to teach our curriculum efficiently when students are grade levels behind. Without a good foundation, students cannot learn more complex concepts. I thought this was common sense, but I guess it is not (based on admin's expectations and school policies).

I want to add that there are high-performing students out there. However, from my experience, the gap between the "gifted/honors" population and the "general" population has widened significantly. Either you have students that perform exceptionally well or you have students coming into class grade levels behind. There are rarely students who are in between.
View Quote

guvernmint edukashun.

A Brit study "by scientists" recently concluded that fake Male "Breast Milk" is just as nutritious as real breast milk from Women. That's Gobbels worthy propaganda. Ignorance and susceptibility to propaganda go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
So the friend is at the high school level.
So she expects these skills to be taught to these students already.

I only have one question, "Why are they in high school if they have not even the minimum competency in the skills that she lists?"

This is an indictment on the public school system that continues to request more funding and more money for teachers.
If you were to take a look at the typical day of a teacher, how much time is spent teaching the basics?
How much time is spent teaching life skills or baby-sitting?
The teacher's union at higher levels absolutely do not want to solve this issue and will continue to blame the lack of funding.
This is a problem that throwing money at [politicians love to do this] will not fix it.

This is also an indictment on the value that is put on providing an education to their children by parents.
Parents that send their progeny to school unprepared to live in a world surrounded by other children to be instructed by adults are equally at fault.
Basic skills to exist in a society should be taught at home.

This is a deep embedded problem everywhere.

My sons comment about the level of instruction from time to time in a rural high school in a flyover state.
I remind them that the public school system is meant to include everyone.
The teachers have to teach to the 50th percentile not the 90th percentile.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Come by my room later.
View Quote

Fuck!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Journalism?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree

Journalism?
I would guess education.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It was like that when I was in HS in the late eighties.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Good to know. I may start one this weekend since I'm freaking tied down with the gotdang flu.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My Mom taught middle school for thirty years, and retired about ten years ago. The stories I heard from her were bad, but absolutely pale in comparison to what we're hearing about now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep.

We'd check books out from the library every week. Mom didn't really care what it was as long as it interested us.

I'm pretty sure I was the only kid who had read "The rise and fall of the Third Reich" before the ninth grade. That was ~40 years ago.

I'm currently halfway through "High Performance Cams and Valvetrain" by Billy Godblod, the former lead cam designer at Comp Cams. You'll never learn if you don't read...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either you have students that perform exceptionally well or you have students coming into class grade levels behind. There are rarely students who are in between.

It's 100% parenting.  Kids learn most things at home and then fill in some gaps at school.  

It's amazing what kids can do when you give them that individual attention as a parent.  Read to your kids, do math with your kids, do sports with your kids.  They are just little sponges at that age and can learn virtually anything if you have the patience to teach them.  

I think my kids have been read to 99% of the nights of their lives at this point (5 and 7) with only a few rare nights where we skip it.  Not a surprise that they both test in the 90th percentile or higher on everything.

That works for anything, not just reading, writing, and math.  There's some kids out there with incredible talents and behind every one of them is a patient parent that put in the work.

No. That cannot be the expectation.

Attending school and gaining an education is your full time, 40 hour a week job for 12-13 years as a kid. That time should produce results.

The money spent on education in the US is very high. Nearly every chart I've ever seen has the US in the top two globally for education spending per pupil. That should also produce results.

It is completely inexcusable for the US public education system to perform the way it is while consuming the resources it does.

There is also a whole bunch of life that needs to happen between coming home from school and going to bed. That time shouldn't be used to replace the productivity of an 8 hour school day every day.

I was raised by a hard-nosed older woman that wasn't allowed to attend school when she was a kid, and she didn't gain literacy until her 20s, but somehow, I was in AP, honors, and college courses all the way through HS. The values she taught me helped me get there. Her academic knowledge did not. That's how it's supposed to work.

I still would say the parents / those who raise are more important.

If they don't help / drive the kid / be involved ... it won't matter what schools the kid goes to, things fall through.

---------------

The absolute best gift for education I ever got from my parents (mostly my mom) was that she taught me to *love* reading. She didn't force me to. She found a way to get me to really really like it.

Yep.

We'd check books out from the library every week. Mom didn't really care what it was as long as it interested us.

I'm pretty sure I was the only kid who had read "The rise and fall of the Third Reich" before the ninth grade. That was ~40 years ago.

I'm currently halfway through "High Performance Cams and Valvetrain" by Billy Godblod, the former lead cam designer at Comp Cams. You'll never learn if you don't read...

Sacred Causes: The Clash of Religion and Politics, from the Great War to the War on Terror

&

https://www.sae.org/publications/books/content/r-478/  (but I presume the first edition, found in a thrift store)
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's the old way?  My colleagues are bright men and women, they're using curriculum approved by our Asst Super is about one of the sharpest ladies I've ever met on a professional level.  Why don't 60% of them get it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Common Core is the root of the failure.

I understand Common Core math is functionally correct.  If I have one more snobby cunt say "you don't like it because you don't understand it," I'm going to break their jaw.

It's a terrible way to teach math.  The old way of teaching put men on the goddamn moon.  The current generation can't tell time without Siri.

Full disclosure: I have a Masters in Education.  Fight me.  

What's the old way?  My colleagues are bright men and women, they're using curriculum approved by our Asst Super is about one of the sharpest ladies I've ever met on a professional level.  Why don't 60% of them get it?

I am absolutely the very last person you want to listen to on this as any sort of expert.

Check out saxon math. See what you think about it for yourself.

Ask others who know math and teaching math about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has she tried having sex with them?
View Quote

The ultimate FPNI...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

, same here with Blood Meridian.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

, same here with Blood Meridian.

Try reading the 2nd book in lewis's space trilogy.

The sentences are complete and coherent... and you have NO idea what is going on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Let's say you have a class of 28 6th graders.  You give them a screener and find that 18 are at a 3rd grade level.  The 18 need small group intervention to be brought up to grade level, only you can't do small group because half of the kids are shit heads or else just have no impulse control.  Administration expects that 75% perform at a high level on a very rigorous State exam in May.  You have no help.  The kids do not respect nor fear you.   ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Teachers are mad and quitting because students don't know what they're supposed to know.

Hmmm.

Let's say you have a class of 28 6th graders.  You give them a screener and find that 18 are at a 3rd grade level.  The 18 need small group intervention to be brought up to grade level, only you can't do small group because half of the kids are shit heads or else just have no impulse control.  Administration expects that 75% perform at a high level on a very rigorous State exam in May.  You have no help.  The kids do not respect nor fear you.   ...

No kids left behind baby.

Pass the kid up to the next grade, we don't care if the kid doesn't know what they have to know.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
These teachers are not teachers, they are administrators of whatever BS course the school purchased that year.

They just serve up the work, they don't teach.

My thoughts.
View Quote

Exactly… they’re as much “teachers” as the little Asian lady who refills the crab legs at the buffet is a “chef”
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe that teacher needs to fail her students from attending the next grade
View Quote

In some school systems, teachers are strongly discouraged from failing students.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
They also cannot type properly. Some students type using their index fingers.
View Quote

48wpm on my Navy typing test using my index fingers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A victory for Bill Gaytes and his Common Core crap education ssytem.  We need to dump that sh*t yesterday.  We need to get rid of DoE and return the power to the states and local school districts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A victory for Bill Gaytes and his Common Core crap education ssytem.  We need to dump that sh*t yesterday.  We need to get rid of DoE and return the power to the states and local school districts.

This is interesting:

Republican Gov. of South Carolina, an outspoken opponent of the common core, has signed a bill that requires the state to adopt new content standards for the 2015-16 school year and drop the Common Core State Standards.

They also signed anti-immigration laws so strict the fed gov sued them, they’re Pro Gun, and want to reduce spending on entitlement programs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's 100% parenting.  Kids learn most things at home and then fill in some gaps at school.  

It's amazing what kids can do when you give them that individual attention as a parent.  Read to your kids, do math with your kids, do sports with your kids.  They are just little sponges at that age and can learn virtually anything if you have the patience to teach them.  

I think my kids have been read to 99% of the nights of their lives at this point (5 and 7) with only a few rare nights where we skip it.  Not a surprise that they both test in the 90th percentile or higher on everything.

That works for anything, not just reading, writing, and math.  There's some kids out there with incredible talents and behind every one of them is a patient parent that put in the work.

View Quote

Yep.  The number one predictor of how well a child will do in school is parental involvement and support of education.

Reading to kids at a young age.

Not placing a screen in front of them, and severely curtailing screen time from age 0 to 18

The best teacher in the world can’t compensate for lazy, uneducated parents.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are 100% correct.  

My Wife just quit as an elementary teacher last year.  

A shocking number of her kids were nowhere near they grade level the should be on every subject.  Attempting to actually, you know, teach them and help them would get her bad remarks on her reviews.   Any outside ideas or resources presented by her or others during meetings would be met with ridicule.  Schools don't want teachers.  They want drones that will just regurgitate the materials the district buys into.  I'd say about half of her team were teachers who actually cared about kids and got into teaching for the right reason.  The other half were drones who were happy with the status quo and only taught so they could be around their friends and bitch about their home life.  Not shockingly enough, just about all of the former have quit or moved on to something else.

View Quote

I’m a teacher.

I don’t use any school provided curriculum.  I create all my own.  I teach American History with a decidedly conservative, nationalist bias.  Even get the kids repeating “taxation is theft”.

Get great evaluations. I’m typically at the highest rating that Ohio has - “accomplished”.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

-almost all of them have zero idea how our government works. They think the President is THE power in the government and the SCOUTS has no right to strike down laws.

-no sense of cause/effect/consequences. Nor any sense of time/planning at all.

I think the plan of creating stupid masses that need to be led and taken care of is working. Of course, the Elite’s children will have top level education.
View Quote

Pretty sure SCOUTS have no power to strike down laws either. They at least got that part right. Now SCOTUS on the other hand does.

Also a lot of people here on ARFCOM have zero idea of how our Governement works. But they are quick to criticize it and they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about in most cases. Even less how to fix the problem or who created it. I find it ironic they continue to vote for the people who created the exact problems they are complaining about, some even bragging about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:...Full disclosure: I have a Masters in Education.  Fight me.  
View Quote

Wow, I would not have guessed that.  (That's meant to be a compliment, BTW.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, does anyone know if Russia has better schools and education than the US?
View Quote

Most other countries starting in grade school teach their children another language. I've dated a number of women from both EU and SEA that speak several languages and have top notch educations.

Also traveling abroad I was surprised how many people spoke English and had better understanding of our politics than a lot of Americans I've talked to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has she tried having sex with them?
View Quote

That seems to be the go-to move for some teachers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:...Math has to be mastered at every step along the process starting with counting, then addition and subtraction, and on.  Practice is required, there is no way around that fact.

Elementary and junior high math should always be connected to the problems of life, that's its purpose.  Teachers must never stigmatize "word problems", those come from, or 'model',  life...
View Quote

Absolute truth here.  It has to be something learned so thoroughly that you just do it, like a musician and learning scales.  Because all of the higher levels of math build on lower levels.  My algebra isn't great, and I had a bitch of a time in calculus and higher math because of it.  It takes work, and I wasn't willing to put in the work, so...

Part of the problem with Education, the institution, is that its primary purposes aren't to educate.  It's to serve as a jobs program and a credentialing system for employment.  Regardless of whether those credentials are appropriate for the job in question.  As such, it's not changing anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’m a teacher.

I don’t use any school provided curriculum.  I create all my own.  I teach American History with a decidedly conservative, nationalist bias.  Even get the kids repeating “taxation is theft”.

Get great evaluations. I’m typically at the highest rating that Ohio has - “accomplished”.
View Quote

Nationalist .. you mean like hamiltonian?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No doubt there are plenty of bad teachers out there but IMO teachers as a whole are unfairly blamed for the system failures.  I see it like blaming the boots on the ground soldier for a failed military campaign instead of the flag officers running the show.  What about the great teachers that try to do a good job but whose hands are tied by the system?

What is a teacher supposed to do when they aren't allowed to fail a student even if they do nothing?  When there is zero parent participation?  When they have students in their class that do not speak English?  When they have students in their class that have physical and/or mental impairments and are supposed to have an aide with them but they don't?  When administrators tell them that essentially short of someone being killed to not bother them with discipline cases.  When students are grade levels behind yet there they are?

If you are like my wife you quit teaching for good after a couple of years.
View Quote

There is some truth to the above.
Public education and the current model is a failure.
Transforming our economy to a more information based economy at the expense of service and manufacturing is a mistake and will not serve the USA in the future.
It showed during the lock down.  How much of our economy is hospitality and travel industry heavy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

-no sense of cause/effect/consequences. Nor any sense of time/planning at all.

I think the plan of creating stupid masses that need to be led and taken care of is working. Of course, the Elite’s children will have top level education.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Attending school and gaining an education is your full time, 40 hour a week job for 12-13 years as a kid. That time should produce results.

The money spent on education in the US is very high. Nearly every chart I've ever seen has the US in the top two globally for education spending per pupil. That should also produce results.

It is completely inexcusable for the US public education system to perform the way it is while consuming the resources it does.

There is also a whole bunch of life that needs to happen between coming home from school and going to bed. That time shouldn't be used to replace the productivity of an 8 hour school day every day.

I was raised by a hard-nosed older woman that wasn't allowed to attend school when she was a kid, and she didn't gain literacy until her 20s, but somehow, I was in AP, honors, and college courses all the way through HS. The values she taught me helped me get there. Her academic knowledge did not. That's how it's supposed to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either you have students that perform exceptionally well or you have students coming into class grade levels behind. There are rarely students who are in between.

I don't think the above is necessarily saying that the parents are to take the place of teachers and pass on their academic knowledge.
I think the point is that parents that take the time to read and do academic things helps their kids with school.  i think reading to your young kids regularly can be the best thing and easiest thing to do to help your kids future academic success.  I agree that schools should be focused on teaching academic subjects not life or societal coping skills.
The issue is the varied levels of abilities to learn that the public system attempts to take into account but fails miserably.
There comes a time that some students should be steered toward more practical skills.
This is a fight with local, state, and federal school boards along with their union leadership stooges.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Doesn't surprise me one bit.  Every child left behind.  

It's a circular problem that feeds itself.

Children don't learn from their parents. They both work two full time jobs.

They don't learn from teachers because there is no consequence for not learning.  They can't be held back.

Kids see the slugs moving on with them and they lower their own level of effort.

In this manner they are dumbed down.

Then they vote for terrible politicians like Biden who will drag power up federally.

Governors and legislature that sucks up power and removes it from the district.

The school board is voted in by the same uneducated and uncaring people.  They take power from the principal and give it to themselves.

Then the principals take power and leeway away from the teachers.  The teachers are getting butt fucked by their own unions which are paying to have power taken from the teachers by all levels of government.

Then those teachers are handing out a curriculum determined by the people furthest from the children and who have the least idea of how to teach.

So their students become more dumbed down.  Then those students go on to vote for even worse politicians.

Now you can't put kids in a timeout by themselves.  You are forced to agree with their lies.  You can't remove violent kids or those who disrupt the entire class all day every day.  And so the education suffers.... And they vote for even worse politicians.  The politicians OP votes for.

This has been an ongoing trend and it's not reversing any time soon or maybe ever.

In order to save some of the children of this country we need to have more private schools who are not beholden to the politicians who only make things worse.  

Vouchers for the same amount that a public school gets per child for ALL parents.  Regardless of wealth.  

View Quote

Agreed.  Vouchers would be a great move for teachers as well.  They would no longer be beholden to that system.  The free market education system would greatly enhance the student education as well as teacher experience

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Another teacher commented...

AP is supposed to be the advanced group!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Another teacher commented...
Yesterday, I realized I accidentally only printed the odd numbered pages of a 5 page assignment. I told the kids they won't be penalized for not having the questions on the even pages completed since it was my error (the page numbers were on the papers, that's how I discovered this), and I just got blank stares. One kid said they don't know what an even number is. I TEACH 9TH GRADE AP HUMAN GEOGRAPHY.

AP is supposed to be the advanced group!
AP kids are willing to be ground into dust for a GPA boost. That doesn't necessarily make them smart.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This map should embarrass the hell out of every conservative/republican:

https://www.drivecms.com/uploads/mcelroytutoring.com/Screen%20Shot%202023-11-20%20at%207.05.18%20PM.png

If I understand it correctly, it's a map without any key, code, title or explanation whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is interesting:

They also signed anti-immigration laws so strict the fed gov sued them, they’re Pro Gun, and want to reduce spending on entitlement programs.
View Quote

SC is really doing great, despite really difficult demographics and poverty in places.

They're also adding classical liberal arts (classes in epistemology, ethics, and rhetoric) and personal finance as a requirement to the curriculum this year, they've always had government/founding documents and economics as requirements.

Plus we have the three governor's schools for G/T and they assigned classes by test scores in grade school.

Education Lottery.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good to know. I may start one this weekend since I'm freaking tied down with the gotdang flu.
View Quote

Suttree makes Blood Meridian look like a King novel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stupid people raising stupid kids. All of these things usually make perfect sense when you meet the parents. You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to be a teacher.
View Quote

“Idiocracy” has been achieved. Change my mind. The Teachers Union and Democrats did this. They need more stupid easily manipulated service wage slaves and free shit voters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some students type using their index fingers.
View Quote

And? AND! Fuck you, lady!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]
She just described half of the 30 to 40 year old millennials at work.

Google searching to prove their stupidly preconceived ideas are correct rather than attempting to find out the actual truth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#46]
What are they good at?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nationalist .. you mean like hamiltonian?
View Quote

No.  Burr is a hero for his actions against Hamilton.  I teach that portion of our history with a favorable lean towards the Anti-Federalists, with a nudge that some of the Federalist ideas were not ideal, but necessary for a functioning federalist republic.

I’m much more subtle in my nationalism, more of what made America great and how we need to get back to it.  Heavy on Western Civ and what made us so successful over the centuries and how America was the natural heir to that greatness.  Let’s not squander it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#48]
 The free market education system would greatly enhance the student education as well as teacher experience

View Quote

You know what I could do with the 3.5 million a year we spend on my students alone?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If I understand it correctly, it's a map without any key, code, title or explanation whatsoever.
View Quote

It's the cutoff PSAT score for National Merit Scholarship.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#50]
All done by design. Tyrannical governments don't want intelligent people capable of critical thinking.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top