Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, IMO any tequila that uses additives isn't real tequila (which is the vast majority of them). They're real compared to mixto, but they're really akin to drinking flavored whiskey. You ain't getting an authentic experience. But I'm a purist. I didn't even know what I didn't know until I had my first bottle of El Tesoro. Then WOAFP showed me the way. Got me into mezcals too.

Tequila Matchmaker is a great resource. You can see which distillery makes it, cooking method, fermentation method, crushing method, distilling equipment, and they have a program by which to validate that a tequila is additive-free (they get a little badge on the product page).
View Quote

Walking the same path as this guy.  

To find Fortaleza, it's just like rare bourbon -- get to know the guy at your local store.  Better yet, get to know guys at a few local stores.  Offer to let them try the rare stuff they then may sell you.  Worse case, you make some new friends.

Right now, be on the look out for G4 Blanco Fermentada Madera.  It has just hit distributors in MD, so probably northeast in general. Stuff is phenomenal.  Second batch made, first batch was only 10K bottles worldwide.

Good Hunting!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Herradera.  …Drinkable and doesn’t rip your wallet off your ass.
View Quote

It's not on the additive-free list I printed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like tequila. I like el jimador and hornitos. Cheap, tastes good, 100% agave. Hornitos is smoother if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Attachment Attached File

They were actually going to introduce that brand in real life, but didn't because, in the show, it poisoned people. They figured that would be a marketing nightmare. Oh well, it would probably be an additive bomb anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To find Fortaleza, it's just like rare bourbon -- get to know the guy at your local store.  Better yet, get to know guys at a few local stores.  Offer to let them try the rare stuff they then may sell you.  Worse case, you make some new friends.

Right now, be on the look out for G4 Blanco Fermentada Madera.  It has just hit distributors in MD, so probably northeast in general. Stuff is phenomenal.  Second batch made, first batch was only 10K bottles worldwide.

Good Hunting!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, IMO any tequila that uses additives isn't real tequila (which is the vast majority of them). They're real compared to mixto, but they're really akin to drinking flavored whiskey. You ain't getting an authentic experience. But I'm a purist. I didn't even know what I didn't know until I had my first bottle of El Tesoro. Then WOAFP showed me the way. Got me into mezcals too.

Tequila Matchmaker is a great resource. You can see which distillery makes it, cooking method, fermentation method, crushing method, distilling equipment, and they have a program by which to validate that a tequila is additive-free (they get a little badge on the product page).

Good Hunting!

Yeah, I stocked up on Fortaleza a couple years ago, when it started becoming unobtainium. Got a couple at Binny's, ordered some online too. Found G4 reposado single barrel at Woodman's too. Think I bought 3 or 4 bottles, never got around to trying it.

But I don't drink anymore so, unless the nukes fly, I'll never have that sweet nectar touch my palate again. That was honestly the hardest part of quiting, accepting that. I love a good tequila. Just flavors you can't get anywhere else. Oh well. Ain't worth fucking up my life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho are made by the same guy and are both very good, additive free, and truly "sipping" tequilas. Lalo is good for mixed drinks as is La Gritona and siete leguas

Quoted:

Another vote for El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho. That's about what I'm able to get in PA that isn't just overhyped celebrity marketing swill.
View Quote
Huge difference in price between those two
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That he would.
I stickied the agave thread so he had a place to share his knowledge.
It's still there.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a shame WOAFP is no longer with us. He'd fucking own this thread.

That he would.
I stickied the agave thread so he had a place to share his knowledge.
It's still there.....

I miss you guys over there. But I just can't imbibe any more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not high end, at least price wise, but I like 1800 Reposado.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227730/IMG_1382_jpeg-2970532.JPG

Someone tell me what’s wrong with it.  I’ve had Patron and like it, but 1800 is significantly cheaper.
View Quote

If you like it, then nothing is wrong with it.

Trust Your Taste.  Don't Apologize For It.

(but do keep an ear open if something might be better.)

The geeks are just talking about other beverages you may like, or not.  If not?  Go you.  Your wallet will certainly be happier.

I'm not kidding, by the way.  No one here can or should tell you what you like more than something else.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho are made by the same guy and are both very good, additive free, and truly "sipping" tequilas. Lalo is good for mixed drinks as is La Gritona and siete leguas

Quoted:

Another vote for El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho. That's about what I'm able to get in PA that isn't just overhyped celebrity marketing swill.

El Tesoro used to be more affordable. Blanco could be had for $35, $40 repo, and $50 añejo. The Bacardi (who owned the brand) said "we charge top dollar for Cincoro and it is crap compared to El Tesoro. We should upcharge El Tesoro." Like, literally, that is what they did
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Herradera.  …Drinkable and doesn’t rip your wallet off your ass.

Seriously, check out Tequila Matchmaker if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Understood.
You as well.
Hope you're healthier for it, brother.

We're having a helluva party, (or estate sale) the day that I can't.

Sorry for the slide, op.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss you guys over there. But I just can't imbibe any more.

Understood.
You as well.
Hope you're healthier for it, brother.

We're having a helluva party, (or estate sale) the day that I can't.

Sorry for the slide, op.

Best decision I ever made. The changes are incredible. If I didn't stop I know I'd end up in the hospital or prison. Even though I miss it, I don't get cravings. Even participating in this thread doesn't really trigger me. Well, maybe a bit of euphoric recall. If the nukes fly, or whatever doomsday shit, I will have a last drink of El Tesoro Single Barrel Reposado. Won't matter then.

Anyway, let's not forget a good lowlands tequila:
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

In PA they’re within $3 of each other, interchangeable to me price wise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
El Tesoro and Tequila Ocho are made by the same guy and are both very good, additive free, and truly “sipping” tequilas. Lalo is good for mixed drinks as is La Gritona and siete leguas

Start with blancos IMO and branch out into the anejo/reposado once you find what characteristics you like.

Very good thread in the wine cellar section with lots of options/feedback on tequilas
View Quote

I wouldn’t waste Siete Leguas on mixed drinks, it is in the same league as Ocho and Tesoro, and is a legit Mexican tequila that you can buy in Mexico.

You won’t find Ocho or Tesoro in Mx.  It’s marketing tequila made for the US market and won’t be around for more than a few years. Siete Leguas has been around for a loong time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My favorite it Tapatio Blanco.  It is a great sipper, but won't break the bank allowing its use as a mixer as well.  It's made by the same folks who make El Tesoro, which is also fantastic.  

Edit:  I see that you can't get Tapatio, so get the El Tesoro instead.
View Quote

Tapatio is the best kept secret.

Friends of mine from Arandas smuggled in something like 240 bottles of it for Christmas parties a few yeas ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#19]
21 Seeds makes some really good infused tequilas.

Their cucumber/ jalapeño tequila makes for one mean margarita!

https://www.21seeds.com/infused-tequila
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t waste Siete Leguas on mixed drinks, it is in the same league as Ocho and Tesoro, and is a legit Mexican tequila that you can buy in Mexico.

You won’t find Ocho or Tesoro in Mx.  It’s marketing tequila made for the US market and won’t be around for more than a few years. Siete Leguas has been around for a loong time.
View Quote

This. Fortaleza as well. Iirc it's called Los Abeulos in Mexico. They've been around a while. And literally in Tequila.

Ocho has been around over a decade, going on 2. I even have a 2011 El Puertecito bottling. Tesoro has been around a while too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Tapatio is the best kept secret.

Friends of mine from Arandas smuggled in something like 240 bottles of it for Christmas parties a few yeas ago.
View Quote

I think the label hurts their sales. Oh well, more for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#22]
The Hombre has a very good show on tequila and gives great reviews / recommendations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgiZXnlfy2E
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In PA they're within $3 of each other, interchangeable to me price wise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In PA they're within $3 of each other, interchangeable to me price wise.
Odd - in NH the Ocho is $48 and the El Tesoro is $180 for 750ml
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think the label hurts their sales. Oh well, more for me.
View Quote

The label...you mean the Mexican couple dancing?

Link Posted: 9/30/2023 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even remotely the case in TX. The single barrel blanco for El Tesoro is 55-60 and the regular blanco is 45-50, same price as the Ocho. Below was my favorite Ocho offering.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/30/2023 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

At $180 its either a huge mistake or some special aged anejo. Regular Blanco seems to run around $50.

Even in PA the single barrel reposados are only like $65.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The label...you mean the Mexican couple dancing?

View Quote

Yes. People that have come in my old store have turned their nose up at it because they said the label looks cheap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At $180 its either a huge mistake or some special aged anejo. Regular Blanco seems to run around $50.
Even in PA the single barrel reposados are only like $65.
View Quote
This is the only El Tesoro the NH liquor store system carries:
https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/product-detail/64-El-Tesoro-de-Don-Felipe-5-Year-Old-Paradiso-Gold-Extra-A%C3%B1ejo-Tequila-100-Puro-de-Agave
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like Casamigos Reposado
View Quote

Try Teramana,its just as good and half the price.
30 bucks-Teramana
50 bucks Herradura
60 bucks-Don Julio
All very good. Casmigos and Patron are overrated/overpriced IMO
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Fortaleza
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#31]

That's a high end aged one from El Tesoro, and that's about the price point for it now.    

Around me, El Tesoro Blanco is about the same price as Ocho Blanco, roughly $50.   I prefer Tesoro over Ocho, but I have a bottle of Ocho sitting on my bar right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a high end aged one from El Tesoro, and that's about the price point for it now.    

Around me, El Tesoro Blanco is about the same price as Ocho Blanco, roughly $50.   I prefer Tesoro over Ocho, but I have a bottle of Ocho sitting on my bar right now.
View Quote

The cool thing about Ocho is that they harvest a different plantation every year. Actually, I think they do 2 per year. Each estate with its own terroir influences the flavors you get in the tequila. So no 2 estate bottlings taste exactly the same. Makes it real fun to collect.
Example. Look at the blue bottom label. 2016 Los Patos, 2017 Las Aguilas, and 2017 Los Nopales. The Los Nopales was my favorite if the 3.

2011 El Puertecito. Fucking phenomenal!

All 3 expressions from the same estate .
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Margarita night.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Used to love sipping on rum.  Since discovering whiskey I've not had the craving.  What's different about the Black barrel compared to their other bottle?

Thanks
View Quote

It's a blend of two types of aged rum (double-pot and column) that is aged again after blending in charred oak barrels. It's rich and aromatic.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]
The better Tequilas I like which won't bite you too hard in the wallet are:

Chinaco Añejo

and

Olmeca Añejo

These are the best price performance Tequilas I've found. You can finish a bottle in an evening with a buddy or three and not feel any regrets the next morning. The Chinaco is as smooth as a shot glass of warm water.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not even remotely the case in TX. The single barrel blanco for El Tesoro is 55-60 and the regular blanco is 45-50, same price as the Ocho. Below was my favorite Ocho offering.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158588/IMG_2776_jpeg-2971202.JPG

View Quote

Don't dirty up that delicious tequila with syrup and lime juice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Kirkland, has additives and is in a liter bottle.

For $39 it’s the best you can get.

Most people can’t tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The cool thing about Ocho is that they harvest a different plantation every year. Actually, I think they do 2 per year. Each estate with its own terroir influences the flavors you get in the tequila. So no 2 estate bottlings taste exactly the same. Makes it real fun to collect.
Example. Look at the blue bottom label. 2016 Los Patos, 2017 Las Aguilas, and 2017 Los Nopales. The Los Nopales was my favorite if the 3.
https://i.ibb.co/8s8nPR1/20200920-152531.jpg

2011 El Puertecito. Fucking phenomenal!
https://i.ibb.co/Yj2mJPn/20200927-143447.jpg

All 3 expressions from the same estate .
https://i.ibb.co/fFyjmmQ/20201026-110344.jpg
View Quote

You really built up a great collection.   I went through a phase where I was trying a bunch of different blancos to see what I liked and didn't.    I have made it through most of them, but still have a few that I haven't tried yet.   I'm working through some of my blancos so that I have fewer bottles on the shelf.

For whatever reason,  Ocho doesn't stand out to me.    I like it and appreciate that it's a well made tequila, but there are others at a similar price point that I prefer.  Maybe I need to try some from different estates and see if I can pick up the differences.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you want true additive free tequila or one that meets the definition of tequila?

Additive free tequila at a surprisingly affordable price is Tequila Ocho. Smooth sipping with no hang overs. Siete Leguas is also up there. Still trying to find a fortaleza bottle but those are gone within an hour when they hit the shelves.

For party tequilas that ladies love, hard to beat Clase Azul. They love the bottle and the sweeter taste of of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You really built up a great collection.   I went through a phase where I was trying a bunch of different blancos to see what I liked and didn't.    I have made it through most of them, but still have a few that I haven't tried yet.   I'm working through some of my blancos so that I have fewer bottles on the shelf.

For whatever reason,  Ocho doesn't stand out to me.    I like it and appreciate that it's a well made tequila, but there are others at a similar price point that I prefer.  Maybe I need to try some from different estates and see if I can pick up the differences.
View Quote

Yeah, some are better than others. Los Patos was my least favorite, but I still liked it. But the others blew it out if the water.

Yeah, one of my local Binny's had an employee who was real into tequila. He made sure they got ALL the good stuff.

This was 3 years ago though....
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, some are better than others. Los Patos was my least favorite, but I still liked it. But the others blew it out if the water.

Yeah, one of my local Binny's had an employee who was real into tequila. He made sure they got ALL the good stuff.
https://i.ibb.co/TvGhrq3/20210822-133835.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/GPzCjLM/20210822-133841.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mrncmyq/20210822-133907.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/F39bPWh/20210822-133922.jpg
View Quote

PA doesn't even sell Forteleza.  I'm wondering if anywhere near the Jersey border by me does.  We usually just go to Nortons in Pburg.

Seems like this stuff is black market material from how rare it is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Greetings friend! I am in PA as well, most of my tequila collection is purchased in NY or NJ. I have ~40 open bottles at the moment: 12 blanco, 12 repo, 6 anejo, and 8 mezcal.

The only good tequila you will find on the shelf at the PA state stores is Tequila Ocho & El Tesoro. That's it, that's all, and most stores won't have both.

For mixing, Espolon & Olmeca Altos are OK but not if you enjoy sipping neat. Save those for guests & enjoy the El Tesoro / Ocho yourself.

I am right outside of Philly if you ever want to take a ride into NJ, I am happy to help you score some better bottles.

Quoted:

View Quote

lol I have brought Ocho back from MX, & saying El Tesoro won't be around for more than a few years must be a joke? The distillery has over 85 years of history & distribution by Beam Suntory.

Yes Siete Leguas made Patron before they had their own distillery & just celebrated their 70th anniversary, La Altena has been doing it longer & I have seen El Tesoro bottles from 2013 or earlier.

Quoted:
The Hombre has a very good show on tequila and gives great reviews / recommendations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgiZXnlfy2E
View Quote

unfortunately Mark is a shill, with extreme bias towards distilleries he partnered with for his online shop. defiitely knowledgeable but take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quoted:

Try Teramana,its just as good and half the price.
View Quote

no really, it's garbage. absolutely artificial flavor & color. It's like saying Fireball is great whiskey. it's cheap & stores sell a lot of it, this is by no means the measure of quality product.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

PA doesn't even sell Forteleza.  I'm wondering if anywhere near the Jersey border by me does.  We usually just go to Nortons in Pburg.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/TvGhrq3/20210822-133835.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/GPzCjLM/20210822-133841.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mrncmyq/20210822-133907.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/F39bPWh/20210822-133922.jpg

Maybe you could have some delivered? See if any online liquor stores will shit to PA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Greetings friend! I am in PA as well, most of my tequila collection is purchased in NY or NJ. I have ~40 open bottles at the moment: 12 blanco, 12 repo, 6 anejo, and 8 mezcal.

The only good tequila you will find on the shelf at the PA state stores is Tequila Ocho & El Tesoro. That's it, that's all, and most stores won't have both.

For mixing, Espolon & Olmeca Altos are OK but not if you enjoy sipping neat. Save those for guests & enjoy the El Tesoro / Ocho yourself.

I am right outside of Philly if you ever want to take a ride into NJ, I am happy to help you score some better bottles.

lol I have brought Ocho back from MX, & saying El Tesoro won't be around for more than a few years must be a joke? The distillery has over 85 years of history & distribution by Beam Suntory.

Yes Siete Leguas made Patron before they had their own distillery & just celebrated their 70th anniversary, La Altena has been doing it longer & I have seen El Tesoro bottles from 2013 or earlier.

unfortunately Mark is a shill, with extreme bias towards distilleries he partnered with for his online shop. extremely knowledgeable but take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

no really, it's garbage. absolutely artificial flavor & color. It's like saying Fireball is great whiskey. it's cheap & stores sell a lot of it, this is by no means the measure of quality product.

View Quote

I like this guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Maybe you could have some delivered? See if any online liquor stores will shit to PA.
View Quote

Fortaleza is essentially the Blantons of tequila now, I posted this in r/tequila & they had to close the thread, not a single person said nice score lol

The few places that have Fortaleza online are charging more than triple retail, & here in PA you can order beer & wine from out of state but not spirits.

I am fortunate that I built a relationship with a shop in NJ & they save a bottle for me when they get it. Fortaleza is about 9 months into a 2 year expansion so it will be more available in time.

For now there are plenty of bottles as good coming from Cascahuin, El Pandillo, etc. I should add... its never a bad time to get into mezcal.

also, pro tip! you can score El Tesoro Anejo cheaper through the PA Spirits special order system, its about $59 shipped to your local state store vs $79 on the shelf if you can wait ~3 weeks for delivery.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

unfortunately Mark is a shill, with extreme bias towards distilleries he partnered with for his online shop. defiitely knowledgeable but take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

View Quote

I called over the border I. NJ.  They are getting more of the El Tesoro Blanco this week and it's $5 cheaper than in PA.  THE Ocho was the same price I think and then they don't even have Forteleza in their system.

But like I said that stuff seems pretty black market.  Or you have to be buddies with the owner to reserve a bottle.  Just like harder to find whiskeys where they do have it but hide it and if you go in cold and ask for it they'll say they don't have it but when their buddy comes in they break it out and ring them up.

I want to present well when hosting guests so I'll see what I can do to scrounge a bottle.  But it's not top on my list of priorities so we'll see

If you can believe it...I've had about a dozen different people that do all sorts of interstate traveling trying to scrounge me a bottle of Thunderbird for years now!!!  Yes, the cheap bum swill....Thunderbird!  Zilch!!   More elusive than Forteleza!!!!   And the parent company doesn't return emails or pick up their phone either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top