User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've noticed some peak Fortaleza in my area as well.  This time last year it was all over the place, today it seems to fly off the shelves as soon as it comes in.

But it's cool, because there's a lot of awesome bottles out there.  On a budget, check out Tres Agaves, Tapatio or Arette.  Next step up from those are bottles like Tequila Ocho, El Tesoro, Pasote, Cazcanes, Lalo, El Tequileno and Siete Leguas.  Anything beyond that I honestly don't know, I don't think I've spent over $40 or so on a bottle of tequila.  

Any of those won't let you down, imo.
View Quote

What I'm trying to put together for my bar is 2 different types of alcohol....mixing and connoisseur level stuff.  Only exception there is vodka.  I bought a 12 bottle case of Luksusowa when it was on sale.  But then again, I don't know anyone that drinks shots of vodka.  I mean maybe if we make friends with a fresh off the boat eastern European.  But otherwise that's the only alcohol I think we'll be fine with one type.  

So when it comes to tequila I'll probably throw Jose Cuervo/etc. in the blender, pitchers, etc.  But when someone wants a shot or two of the good stuff I'll have Ocho and El Tesoro on hand for them.   When I make the trip to Jersey at some point this week I'll take along my list of additive-free tequila's.  I'm going to Norton's Cork and Bottle in Pburg so I'll see what they have other than those two.  I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks so kick my bar offerings up a few notches.  We'll see what I come home with!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

PA doesn't even sell Forteleza.  I'm wondering if anywhere near the Jersey border by me does.  We usually just go to Nortons in Pburg.

Seems like this stuff is black market material from how rare it is.
View Quote
No Forteleza in NH or VT, either.  (Or Fortazela, as I've also seen it spelled here)

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like tequila because it comes in goofy bottles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Teramana blanco is okay for cocktails, I wouldn't drink it neat.  The thing about Teramana is why pay ~$40 or so for a bottle of the Rock's tequila, when you can spend ~$25 or so and buy a bottle of Tres Agaves or Arette and have arguably a superior tequila in all respects?  I didn't think the Teramana reposado was very good at all by itself or in a cocktail, and I'm not willing to try the anejo.

Casamigos is revolting, imo.  If you have to have a celebrity tequila, buy a bottle of Codigo.
View Quote

The Teramana Añjeo is gross.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you like it, then nothing is wrong with it.

Trust Your Taste.  Don't Apologize For It.

(but do keep an ear open if something might be better.)

The geeks are just talking about other beverages you may like, or not.  If not?  Go you.  Your wallet will certainly be happier.

I'm not kidding, by the way.  No one here can or should tell you what you like more than something else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Mijenta blanco and repasado are both g2g. When making margs or palomas I use hornitos plata. The mijenta is for special occasions.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cool thing about tequila is you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a really good bottle.  Like $30-40, there are a lot of really good additive free tequilas in that price range.  Hell there's a lot of them in the $20s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The cool thing about tequila is you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a really good bottle.  Like $30-40, there are a lot of really good additive free tequilas in that price range.  Hell there's a lot of them in the $20s.

really not the case anymore, with so many new brands the demand for agave depleted the available supply, very few brands are entirely estate grown & a kilo of agave I kid you not is 10x the cost it was the previous year.

price has stabilized but don't forget it takes 6-8 years for agave to mature, it's not like with whiskey where you only need a single season to yield the key component.

Quoted:
I will never understand the logic in this, whether it's tequila or whiskey or whisky or whatever.  Like somehow you're "wasting" a quality spirit making a cocktail with it.  Better spirits make better cocktails.

As a grown ass adult, make your drinks with whatever you want however you want.  I make margaritas with Tequila Ocho and they're amazing.  I'd mix 25 year Van Winkle with Coke Zero too, if nothing else because it bothers people.

it's actually really easy to understand. you're taking the craft of a master distiller & diluting it with sugar water. you're paying for additive free product, then polluting it with additives.

I am not a fan of mixed drinks & if you think kool aid improves the taste of ocho or vice versa, enjoy. what you do with your bottle is your business.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This has/is all discussed in our main agave thread, but the key thing to know is that the older (more aged) the tequila is, the less "tequila-like" it becomes.
IOW, if you're drinking tequila for the agave flavor, stick to (unaged) blancos.
If you don't prefer pure, strong agave flavor, then try a (aged 2-11 months) reposado where the agave flavor has been toned down a bit.
And if you really don't like agave, go for an a ejo (1_3 years) or an extra (>3 years) where the agave flavor is more muted and could be altered by aging the tequila in old bourbon, whisky, etc. barrels.
I recommend beginners start with a blanco and if you think it's ok but too strong, try a reposado and/or a ejo from the same distiller.
View Quote
Really good tip
BTW, I tried some of the potato vodka mentioned in this thread.  I was surprised and pleased with the great, unique taste.
https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/product-detail/3174-Cold-River-Distinctive-Maine-Potato-Vodka
And I got some of the Tequila Ocho mentioned here = very good!
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really good tip
BTW, I tried some of the potato vodka mentioned in this thread.  I was surprised and pleased with the great, unique taste.
https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/product-detail/3174-Cold-River-Distinctive-Maine-Potato-Vodka
And I got some of the Tequila Ocho mentioned here = very good!
View Quote

I have been drinking the El Tesoro Blanco for the last week or two.  VERY strong agave flavor.  Really like it!!

Might grab a bottle of the reposado to see what this "toned down" flavor is all about.  On sale for $63 near me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Never cared for tequila but liked bacanora when I would go down to Mexico. Can't get it here though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have been drinking the El Tesoro Blanco for the last week or two.  VERY strong agave flavor.  Really like it!!

Might grab a bottle of the reposado to see what this "toned down" flavor is all about.  On sale for $63 near me.
View Quote

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never cared for tequila but liked bacanora when I would go down to Mexico. Can't get it here though.
View Quote

There are several bacanoras that are available in the US.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kicked it up two notches....I did buy the Reposado but at the counter we got to talking about the Anejo and found a store that had it in stock and went with that instead. $89 OTD so one of the pricier bottles in my inventory.  

So now I have the Blanco and Anejo of El Tesoro.  Should be a fun and tasty weekend!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't like tequila, but the few Mexicans I know love Dobel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#16]

This stuff is amazing. Bought 2 bottles at Costco on sale.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Kicked it up two notches....I did buy the Reposado but at the counter we got to talking about the Anejo and found a store that had it in stock and went with that instead. $89 OTD so one of the pricier bottles in my inventory.  

So now I have the Blanco and Anejo of El Tesoro.  Should be a fun and tasty weekend!!
View Quote

IMHO, the Repo is the sweet spot in the lineup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IMHO, the Repo is the sweet spot in the lineup.
View Quote

Just tried the anejo.  Not a fan.  I much prefer the more pungent burst of agave in the blanco than the muted, albeit richer, tones in the anejo.  Didn't even taste like tequila.  Maybe in the future I'll grow to appreciate the anejo.  But at this point I wish I had two more bottles of the blanco that still would be cheaper than what I paid for the anejo.

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just tried the anejo.  Not a fan.  I much prefer the more pungent burst of agave in the blanco than the muted, albeit richer, tones in the anejo.  Didn't even taste like tequila.  Maybe in the future I'll grow to appreciate the anejo.  But at this point I wish I had two more bottles of the blanco that still would be cheaper than what I paid for the anejo.

View Quote

The Añejo is a fine tequila and a good sipper, but you’re right, the Blanco has a much brighter flavor profile.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top