Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2020 3:31:11 PM EDT
Interesting, wonder how a Black Hawk would 'enforce' a non-compliant plane.
Black Hawk Intercepts a Cessna 182
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Minibrrrt?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
182 can't outrun the Helo?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet if one could look, there was a MIL jet somewhere behind said 182....
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
They were lucky  ... this time.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhpq73ZVuY
View Quote
My guess would be the Air National Guard which probably already were scrambled
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doubtful, it was an exercise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Google just told me the 182's maximum speed is about the same as Blackhawk's cruise speed.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck no.  Hawks are much faster.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Since we're loving on the F-16 here lately.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
it would be cool to see what a mini gun does to a cessna
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turbo RG 182 and a Blackhawk would be pretty even.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what happens when you take money out of the military and put it into health care.mov

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would be cool if the 182 had a minigun under one of its wings. A 182, Blackhawk duel to the death. I wonder which bird I should put my hard earned cash on.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Without getting into details that could get me in trouble, more than one federal LE unit has armed Blackhawks. I'm not talking about DAPs or anything like that, but window mounts with either 60's or 240's on swing arms. They seem to prefer mounting solutions that allow them to swing the guns in when not in use so as not to alarm the sheeple, but make no mistake if "them soup bois" are bringing a hawk full of dudes wearing Crye stuff, they will probly have belt guns in the crew chief window.

And of course they can always rely on NG or DOD assets if it's a significant enough event.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not with that payload they are carrying...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Guy should have replied

Alahu Snackbar
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Against a Cessna, normal rifle fire from an AR of some sort would probably do the trick just fine. There isn't much material in most of the plane that would stop a bullet from hitting the pilot or important controls/parts.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ramming speed?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why wouldn't the .mil participate in the exercise?  You think they only do real world intercepts and never train with those they would do it for real with?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the circumstances.

A drug load coming from down south ?  Probably just maintain contact  and call in other air assets because the 182 has to land eventually.

A plane heading into restricted airspace like the security zone around  a crowded Super Bowl stadium would justify a more aggressive response.

CBP air and marine have SCAR -Hs for taking out engines. Usually for boats though.

The Coast guard has shotguns with slugs and Reflex sights and Robar .50 BMG Rifles for the same tasks. In fact the USCG has an outboard engine used to qual with the slug guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Those pilots in the Blackhawk are ballers.

Great dudes
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Coast Guard's agile Blackjack unit intercepts potential threats in D.C. sky

LOL, not armed, yeah right. There’s a Barrett .50 on board.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Internet search says Cessna 182 top speed 168, Blackhawk top speed 220
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Against a Cessna, normal rifle fire from an AR of some sort would probably do the trick just fine. There isn't much material in most of the plane that would stop a bullet from hitting the pilot or important controls/parts.
View Quote
The reverse is even more true.  It would be easier to shoot the blackhawk out of the sky at that distance than the Cessna with any given small arm.

Once the blackhawk started taking fire it would have to disengage anyway. It can't stay there.

And suppose the plane just never answered and ignored them.

Would someone in the national guard truly give an order to shoot a civilian plane down over a densely populated urban area with machinegun fire? Would they even be authorized to give that order?

I just doubt it.  A terrorist using this tactic will most likely succeed because at the end of the day, nobody will make that decision, or it would be made too late to matter anyway.

This exercise is a publicly visible deterrence. A show of force for football fans.

If it wasn't, would they really reveal their TTP?

If hadji was going to do this, he wouldn't come with just one plane either. It would be five or six at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Depends on the circumstances.

A drug load coming from down south ?  Probably just maintain contact  and call in other air assets because the 182 has to land eventually.

A plane heading into restricted airspace like the security zone around  a crowded Super Bowl stadium would justify a more aggressive response.

CBP air and marine have SCAR -Hs for taking out engines. Usually for boats though.

The Coast guard has shotguns with slugs and Reflex sights and Robar .50 BMG Rifles for the same tasks. In fact the USCG has an outboard engine used to qual with the slug guns.
View Quote
Screw the Robar the Coasties are the reason for the M82CQ. Ain’t nobody got time for bolt actions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Without getting into details that could get me in trouble, more than one federal LE unit has armed Blackhawks. I'm not talking about DAPs or anything like that, but window mounts with either 60's or 240's on swing arms. They seem to prefer mounting solutions that allow them to swing the guns in when not in use so as not to alarm the sheeple, but make no mistake if "them soup bois" are bringing a hawk full of dudes wearing Crye stuff, they will probly have belt guns in the crew chief window.

And of course they can always rely on NG or DOD assets if it's a significant enough event.
View Quote
There’s almost no limit to LE firepower anymore. I remember seeing some Texas state boats that looked straight out of act of valor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The whole helicopter vs plane thing reminded of the cheesy movie Firebirds (Nicholas Cage/Tommy Lee Jones)

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There’s almost no limit to LE firepower anymore. I remember seeing some Texas state boats that looked straight out of act of valor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DPS boats that patrol the Rio Grande are pretty cool.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh... I don’t know ??
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
When DHS Aviation did infil/exfil training at a facility I used to work at, it was Helo mounted Barrett .50s and SCAR Heavys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. They aren’t.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember that from one of Bracken's books. The third one iirc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#36]
You may outrun the helo, but you won't outrun the missile. Kind of a modern take on "You may outrun the cop car, but you won't outrun his radio.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#37]
About 30 something years ago we were flying OV-10's on JTF-6 missions along the border. We were not armed. We were out in the middle of nowhere in AZ when we saw a 172 lift off of a dirt strip. We got up nice and tight on the guy and there were no numbers on that aircraft anywhere (you could see where they'd been painted over). Guy didn't try to evade, so we just followed him until we were about out of fuel and called other assets to pick him up. He was flying west and it turns out he was just a dude with an airplane (so we were told by the DEA kiddos). You could see how easy it would be to just hop back and forth across the border.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hit 'em in the engine compartment with a Mosin a couple of times.
That ought to do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The reverse is even more true.  It would be easier to shoot the blackhawk out of the sky at that distance than the Cessna with any given small arm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

The Blackhawk was designed to take hits and keep flying. Cessnas were not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

To some extent, yes. There are parts that do have some armor.

But any transport helicopter is extraordinarily vulnerable to close range small arms fire and has several critical areas exposed at once, especially from the side like that.

The point is, it's not going to stay there and go toe to toe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175250/53FC9E0A-887A-4EF7-A3B5-0318AF80A614-1277280.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175250/0958E1C4-5D6A-4747-A768-16A3F9882CC4-1277281.jpg
Yup those are the ones
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing a Geologist millionare with a Solothurn couldn't handle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Land on it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m taking the Blackhawk over the Cessna, and I have a few hours in a turbo RG 182.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Video is all a training exercise.  CAP is working with them.  CAP does Sundown Patrols as well working with Homeland Security.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
A whole lot. Very fast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175250/53FC9E0A-887A-4EF7-A3B5-0318AF80A614-1277280.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175250/0958E1C4-5D6A-4747-A768-16A3F9882CC4-1277281.jpg
The state of Texas has its own Brown Water Navy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Video is all a training exercise.  CAP is working with them.  CAP does Sundown Patrols as well working with Homeland Security.
View Quote
Yep.  Id like to help out. But my years of counter narcotics ISR fixed wing, GWOT ISR fixed wing, 3 scout helicopter GWOT tours, and night flying experience means I have to spend the first "year or 2" hoping a 70 year old doesnt fly us into the ground while I work a camera.

Im 36.  Nope.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WTF do they think they will encounter with that boat?

Looks like a terrible waste of money to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF do they think they will encounter with that boat?

Looks like a terrible waste of money to me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Once the blackhawk started taking fire it would have to disengage anyway. It can't stay there......
View Quote
I saw something like that in a documentary once, a C-130 flown by Norks takes down a couple of F-22s

White House under Attack, Olympus Has Fallen 2013
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top