User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My neighborhood is nice .

About a half mile away a outpatient drug rehab opened last year and the problems started
View Quote
Tell the rehab place. Of course they'll deny they're the problem but maybe not. Go to the Press. Get the neighbors involved, maybe sign a petition.
Who knows? Maybe the rehab place is there as long as they don't get complaints. Give them some complaints.
Do some homework. Find out what the use permit says on the rehab place. You may have a legitimate reason to shut them down or force them to move.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a less retaliatory method .

I think I'll try the skunk smell .
View Quote

Yea maybe more lighting also
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at some of the various municipality anti-homeless/animal designs. They make uncomfortable bumpy areas to sit, block bums from laying down, spikes to prevent birds from nesting on horizontal surfaces, etc...
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Stake out the gate and catch him in the act. Spray his cornhole liberally with bear spray.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Plant some cactus? You know, in your dry garden?  Especially that cactus that damn near jumps on you?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Stick a video camera out there, record it a few times, then contact the police. If they won’t do anything, then contact your Mayor, city councilman, and/or county commissioner.

That said. We had one set up in the doorway of permanently closed big box pharmacy. The cops couldn’t/wouldn’t do anything because it was “private property.” A few neighbors explained we didn’t want him there and to move on, he didn’t, so we made his life miserable. Honking horns every time we went by, I think someone actually threw all his shit in a dumpster one time, he last 72hrs before he moved on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I lived in a progressive West Coast city for over a decade while I pursued my career.

It's saddens me to say this but the only solution is to move.

Even if you were able to get rid of all the junkies behind your home new ones would just move in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You have someone shitting by your gate.  

Repeatedly.

Your neighborhood isn't "nice"
View Quote

I've seen multi-million dollar condos on Alki Beach in Seattle, 180 degree view of the city skyline behind the water (baby grand piano behind a wall of modern glass) and right out front are RV's filled with junkies shooting heroin at all hours of the night and pimping out underage women.

The city will clear them out every couple of months but the problem is endemic.

It's really all about what you're willing to tolerate

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Turds are usually enough for the cops to force bums out. Even here in LA, once they start shitting everywhere, the cops will swoop in with garbage trucks, jet sprayers and start clearing out areas.

There was a homeless guy living near our office down at the end of a dead end street in Culver City. He stashed a mattress between the buildings for sleeping on at night and pretty much lived behind the big trash bins. I remember walking past a fresh one sitting right in the middle of the sidewalk one morning. When I went out for lunch, the turd was smashed and smeared. Someone, probably staring at their iPhone, stepped right into it. The cops were there when I got back and were in the process of throwing his mattress and stuff into the garbage and kicking him out.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you can't tell people not to recline their seat on an airplane... You can't tell them were not to shit.

'Some free country
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A relative house backed onto a school field that youths decided to hang out at, once a little older they started getting jumping the fence and investigating the yards. With the school no real traps were an option, but birdseed suet balls on the 8ft wall top were great treat for the wildlife and when the youth stuck their hand in the fatty mess they went to another house.

Unless you have authorities willing and able to help, just make it more attractive to shit elsewhere. Spotlight some wildlife food (or axel grease) on the gate. Then dimp an old lump of concrete shaped like a seat and half a box of TP next to the nearest house with a biden sign and let nature take its course.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Spanish bayonet
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Movement controlled audio speaker that plays some annoying song when he is nearby
View Quote

Easy Street [10 Hours] (1080p + Gapless Loop)
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Skunk scent around your gate.
View Quote

Putricine. Or cadaverine. Or both.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you actually advocating the use of deadly force because a mentally ill
homeless person is causing an annoyance? Better hope I'm not on the Grand Jury
or the Trial Jury.

Quoted:
You live in Texas.

Leave something of value, yet easily moveable, just inside your gate.

Leave the gate open.

Sit over bait after dark.

Use the laws your great state has given you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
In Minecraft you put on a mask and clear the alley with violence making it clear the bum shouldn't come back there and you come from a direction that isn't your house so they don't know who to rat on .  

When the system won't protect your property you do it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#17]
What part of Austin do you live in?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you live in a big metro area with a homeless population? Could it possibly be an angry neighbor? And have you thought about putting up security cameras to see if you can catch the perpetrator? That might get the attention of the police if you can establish a pattern so they know when to stake out your home to watch for the criminal.
View Quote

Camera sounds like a good option. If its a neighbor, it would be funny to put a sign there, saying watch out for this guy's poop, with a pic of him in the act with face visible
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
or the Trial Jury.

View Quote

The bums are so lucky to have people like you defending them from evil taxpaying homeowners.

OP I wouldn’t have a thread online or even text messages about this subject.

Unrelated, something like bear spray is good to have on hand. Getting doused in that would likely be unpleasant. Especially more than once. I know if I was taking some trash out at night and something made a frightening noise while coming towards me I would assume it’s a bear. Being that I’m on my property, at night, and have a deep fear of bears, I don’t take any chances. I would be very sad to find out I sprayed something that wasn’t a bear. But I would feel better about it o fr I realized it was saying “I’m going to kill you” as it approached my gate
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've read that booby traps are illegal,would hooking electric wires to my gate be considered a booby trap?

View Quote

Only a crime if you do something silly like post about it on a public online forum...
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Anti seize idea is good, that or get some thick grease and smear all over your fence. If they do lean against it they get covered in grease, I imagine that's pretty inconvenient and hard to clean as a homeless person.

Run some electric fence wires?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#23]
OP and his family should start going out to shit and piss outside the gate. Once they get enough piles of shit, dirty tampons, and puddles of piss out there, maybe the homeless will decide they're too nasty to live around and will go somewhere else. That's how to handle it if you want to keep it a nice neighborhood, Opie.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess you don't have outlaw biker gangs in the area? I've known guys (both deceased now) that went through initiation for membership. With that said, they didn't do people that anybody would miss.

Wonder what outlandish requirements they have now? Just tattoos, haircuts, and drinking contests?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Bums are all about being comfortable. Make life uncomfortable and they’ll move. Anything you’ll be able to post here won’t work. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I can tell you what I wouldn’t do. I would never bury a 2x12 with 16 penny nails shot through it every 3-4 inches or so along my fence line and camouflage the nails with loose dirt, grass etc. Nope not a chance I would ever do that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Some sort of automatic bear spray device?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Try a hybrid approach. Get a bucket, a bag of cat litter, a pack of toilet paper and a tire iron. Go talk to them with the bucket in one hand and the tire iron in the other. Make them a "plata o plomo" offer. Take the shit bucket or certain trouble. Maybe tell them that if they are willing to clean up the alley, look after your area that there might be some beers and supplies in it for them. If not, they're better off moving on.

If that doesn't work just start hanging out with them naked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a less retaliatory method .

I think I'll try the skunk smell .
View Quote

No half measures- live trap a skunk and leash it to the gate.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
or the Trial Jury.

View Quote

OP this guy has agreed to house the homeless guy. All you have to do is get together, and he will take the homeless guy home with him, and your problem will be solved.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Thats not where you test your bear spray cause thats where I test mine out. Sometimes I even empty the can cause it's close to expiring.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't want to kill anyone
View Quote

then why are you here?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Motion light and camera are a good start and might be enough.

If they doesn’t work they make an oily substance you can paint onto fences that never dries. When people try to touch or scale it they get covered in it.

If that doesn’t work track down his camp and trash it all when he isn’t around. He will get the idea that he isn’t welcome in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Playing music won't do anything. Just because you read about it where it worked in different circumstances doesn't mean it will run someone off who is probably there for only a few minutes.
Anti seize will eventually create a problem for you too.
Making the spot smell really, really bad temporarily is probably the easiest thing to do. Deer urine FTW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Put a light out there and get the neighbors to call in an indecent on the fool.

Like vampires the freaks that come out at night fear the light.

Motion sensor and camera for extra credit. You'll want the thing +12' if possible - think pissed off drunk with a baseball ball.
View Quote
Extra flood lights. Light up the whole area.  Keep the lights high
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Hire an illegal to do some yard work (to chase them away)

Get a dumpster and have him throw everything away
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I guess you don't have outlaw biker gangs in the area? I've known guys (both deceased now) that went through initiation for membership. With that said, they didn't do people that anybody would miss.

Wonder what outlandish requirements they have now? Just tattoos, haircuts, and drinking contests?
View Quote
Yeah well, in the old days, the neighborhood would have run them out.
It's not the old days anymore. His legal options are to be miserable or move. It's only going to get worse for him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hire an illegal to do some yard work (to chase them away)

Get a dumpster and have him throw everything away
View Quote

I like this idea.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Ole was a Swedish farmer visiting his neighbor at the fence line.  

“I don’t know what to do, Lars.  I’ve got a family of skunks living unner my front porch.  I can’t get rid of dem.”

“Oh, I can tell you how to get rid of the skunks, Ole.”

“Well then, tell me how, if ya will.”

“Well, Ole, you get you a pail of ludefisk and ya set it unner the porch.   The smell will drive ‘em right out.”

“By golly, Lars.  I vill do it.”  

And so he did.

A week later, Lars spots Ole by the fence.

“Hey Ole!  Did yur get rid of der skunks?”

“Oh. ya, ya.  Der skunks are gone alright.  But now I have a family of Norwegians living unner my front porch.”
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
or the Trial Jury.

View Quote

My uncle is a paranoid schizophrenic that refuses to take meds and would be homeless without his siblings. Tears my mother to pieces and he put my grandmother in an early grave. He starts shit far too often and I won’t blame anyone who gets sick of his shit. I will celebrate the day he dies.

People like you that are blind advocates without knowing the situation suck. Many of these people are pieces of shit that continue to cause strife despite having good resources. Just look at how many beg for help near a fast food joint that is hiring
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Offer the bum $20 to suck his dick, but you are the shy sort and need him to stick it through a knot in the fence (Drill one dick sized if you don't have one convenient), then liberally apply superglue to the inside edge.  

After a couple of days of him being impaled in the fence, maybe you can call the cops to do a welfare check?
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Move
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#43]
A batman costume and a baseball bat, a few later night adventures and they might get the message.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anti seize on the lower part of the gate.  

View Quote

electrification might work, followed by a water cannon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Let some fire ants and harvester ants set up colonies there.

They're easier to get rid once they've gotten rid of the homeless.
View Quote

Lol!  That’s an awesome idea…..
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I would make the back yard as inhabitable as humanly possible.   Do you have raccoons near?  If so, they love smelly leftover food.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#47]
They are not homeless.

They are bums/hobos/transients/feral.

Using the language of the left to describe them elvates them to a posituon they do not deserve by putting them on a level similar to those who had a job/home and somehow lost everything...

Stop calling them something they are not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They aren't illegal. You just cant design them to maim or kill. Bit difference.
View Quote
Unless it's a pitbull.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]
My mom has a Glade air freshner, that uses a servo motor to actuate a cam that pushes down on an spray can of freshner, on a timer. I doubt it would be difficult to rig it to dispense bear spray, with a motion detector instead of the timer. To keep the raccoons out of your garbage of course.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A batman costume and a baseball bat, a few later night adventures and they might get the message.
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top