Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This person does not know anything about Ridgelines....

not the same 3.5L....they have done more lower end work on it
what about the wheel drive layout.  for most drive FWD is just fine.
AWD...so for the size it is perfect...
5k of towing is plenty for 95% of truck owners....most truck owners just want a truck and don't really use it for a truck.

I had a 2007 (1Gen) and was great....only thing I did not like was the gas mileage....no matter what I did it got 18mph....but after that is was solid, towed great and even did some light off road in south TX while camping.
View Quote
1) It is the same tired, old 3.5L. They just slapped some DI heads on it, but it's at its core the same J35 that Honda has been putting in everything forever.
2) FWD is cheap and handles like garbage. FWD is also terrible for towing/hauling, because anything you put in the bed transfers weight off of the drive wheels, reducing traction
3) AWD is great when done right. But not Honda's terrible AWD system that sends as little power as possible for as short as possible to the rear.
4) I'm not talking about towing capacity, I'm talking about towing characteristics. Soft, carlike suspension and the aforementioned front wheel drive means you have less effective power you can put down when you start loading anything even close to the towing capacity.

As I said, it's not a truck. But it's good enough for most people who want a minivan grocery getter without the sliding doors or third row.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Your money,  your call.

If I would need car like then Ridgeline (ground clearance) .

If more off-road capability then Tacoma.

I have driven ?? so if I wanted mid-size pickup then Taco over Ford.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"This" person has a truck to do truck things, an SUV to do SUV things, a van to do van things, and cars to do car things.  I don't need to compromise.

Go on, I fear for my dignity against someone not posting reasons for defending their Ridgeline ownership...
View Quote
There is nothing to defend. I bought the best truck for my needs. What is there to defend? You do realize just because you don't think it's a truck does not mean it's not a truck right?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
A poverty pack work truck people buy for employees vs a luxury-ish vehicle with heated leather seats and power everything? Great comparison.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Because it's not POS Dodge?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is nothing to defend. I bought the best truck for my needs. What is there to defend? You do realize just because you don't think it's a truck does not mean it's not a truck right?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"This" person has a truck to do truck things, an SUV to do SUV things, a van to do van things, and cars to do car things.  I don't need to compromise.

Go on, I fear for my dignity against someone not posting reasons for defending their Ridgeline ownership...
I am asking you what this does over a mini van...and by definition, it is not a truck
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
By your definition what is it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By your definition what is it?
View Quote
It's not "my" definition, words have meanings.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The minivan is MORE practical than the Ridgeline, that's just a fact.  Either get the van, or get a truck, but if you get the "truck", you're only getting it to say you have a "truck".  Anything you could put in the back of the Ridgeline or tow with, you can do with a mini van.  Accept it or dont, I truly don't care, even if that means I'm a mouth breathing knuckle dragger.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ignorance in this thread is over the top even for GD, but I knew that would be the case. GD has no shortage of mouth breathing knuckle draggers.
The minivan is MORE practical than the Ridgeline, that's just a fact.  Either get the van, or get a truck, but if you get the "truck", you're only getting it to say you have a "truck".  Anything you could put in the back of the Ridgeline or tow with, you can do with a mini van.  Accept it or dont, I truly don't care, even if that means I'm a mouth breathing knuckle dragger.  
I can think of all kinds of things I wouldn't want to put in a minivan, things that would be a royal pain to put in a minivan, and things that straight up wouldn't fit in a minivan, all of which can fit in the bed of something like the Ridgeline.

Examples include dirty power equipment, fuel, brush/yard waste, dead stuff, larger furniture, etc. Try hauling that stuff in a minivan, and you're going to have all kinds of stains, smells, scuffs, and tears.

The price difference between the Odyssey and Ridgeline is close enough that there's not much of a reason to choose the Odyssey unless you need seats for 6 or more asses.

The real problem is the price difference (or lack thereof) between the Ridgeline and a Big 3 half ton.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't give a fuck what you drive.

But I always pull these out for the monthly Ridgeline car gangbang.

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Couldn’t be happier with my Pilot.  If I needed something with a bed, the Ridgeline would be the default choice.   It’s either that, or the Tacoma or Tundra.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Because some people don’t want a 3/4 work truck that gets 14 mpg city and 16 hwy.

Just to be clear I think ridgelines are ugly and I would never buy one but for probably 80% of  “truck drivers” they would 100% serve the purpose needed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/VARGhX2.jpg
View Quote
Love this pic!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone here hauls 15k daily for their 7 figure job. I suggest you find another source for gathering data.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a Honda Odyessy with the roof lopped off behind the second row of seats and no sliding doors.

Same 3.5L ancient boat anchor up front
Same wrong wheel drive layout
Same garbage AWD (if it says "4WD") system
Same garbage towing as the minivan it shares a platform with

So yeah, great for people who need a minivan that can haul some bags of mulch every now and then without having to bust out the vacuum cleaner when you're done.
View Quote
For shits and giggles i looked up the stats. The truck can tow 1500 pounds more.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Driving home with a dead deer carcass in the back of of a mini van is choice. Or 10 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. Or the side by side fridge, washer and dryer I brought home. And there is no way your mini van is going down the fire lanes where we hunt

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Driving home with a dead deer carcass in the back of of a mini van is choice. Or 10 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. Or the side by side fridge, washer and dryer I brought home. And there is no way your mini van is going down the fire lanes where we hunt

https://i.imgur.com/WHlEIQj.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of those splendid idea's and yet a picture of a Ridgeline parked on a nicely stone laden grass covered parking lot.  

Minivan>Ridgeline
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1) It is the same tired, old 3.5L. They just slapped some DI heads on it, but it's at its core the same J35 that Honda has been putting in everything forever.
2) FWD is cheap and handles like garbage. FWD is also terrible for towing/hauling, because anything you put in the bed transfers weight off of the drive wheels, reducing traction
3) AWD is great when done right. But not Honda's terrible AWD system that sends as little power as possible for as short as possible to the rear.
4) I'm not talking about towing capacity, I'm talking about towing characteristics. Soft, carlike suspension and the aforementioned front wheel drive means you have less effective power you can put down when you start loading anything even close to the towing capacity.

As I said, it's not a truck. But it's good enough for most people who want a minivan grocery getter without the sliding doors or third row.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This person does not know anything about Ridgelines....

not the same 3.5L....they have done more lower end work on it
what about the wheel drive layout.  for most drive FWD is just fine.
AWD...so for the size it is perfect...
5k of towing is plenty for 95% of truck owners....most truck owners just want a truck and don't really use it for a truck.

I had a 2007 (1Gen) and was great....only thing I did not like was the gas mileage....no matter what I did it got 18mph....but after that is was solid, towed great and even did some light off road in south TX while camping.

The J35 is a good engine, minus VCM. I don't fault Honda for sticking with it.

FWD is cheap and I don't like it, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it really is in that weight class. Much of the vehicle's weight is already over the front wheels, and it's not like these things are towing goose necks.

Honda has different AWD systems in different applications, and they all behave differently. The Ridgeline's system has different terrain modes a lock button to keep the rear wheels engaged for situations where that's necessary. It has its shortfalls, but it's probably better than a traditional 4x4 system when driving on roads covered in random blends of winter mix.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I drive a 2018 F250. For the previous 12 years I drove a 2004 F250.

My wifes 85 year old grandfather bought a new Ridgeline last year and I am impressed by it. I’m a sucker for all the neat storage features and the built in bed cooler etc. It’s a very neat little truck and he loves the thing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All of those splendid idea's and yet a picture of a Ridgeline parked on a nicely stone laden grass covered parking lot.  

Minivan>Ridgeline
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline
He's conveying the fact that he owns one and may have a bit more experience with the platform then you. It would be no different if he stated his opinion and showed a pic of the truck in his driveway, he's showing ownership.

Are you drunk ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I would buy a Ridgeline but I really need something that gets a lot better fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Even this statement is full of ignorance. Please stop, save yourself a little dignity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ignorance in this thread is over the top even for GD, but I knew that would be the case. GD has no shortage of mouth breathing knuckle draggers.
Even this statement is full of ignorance. Please stop, save yourself a little dignity.
That ship sailed years ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Love this pic!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/VARGhX2.jpg
Love this pic!
If I were a betting man I’d say the Ridgeline driver has a higher net worth than the brodozer driver.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I drive a 2018 F250. For the previous 12 years I drove a 2004 F250.

My wifes 85 year old grandfather bought a new Ridgeline last year and I am impressed by it. I’m a sucker for all the neat storage features and the built in bed cooler etc. It’s a very neat little truck and he loves the thing.
View Quote
This is where I'm at.
I have a few full sized pick ups at my disposal at any time. Always at least 2 in the driveway.
I've always loved Hondas. Our newest is a 2019 Pilot, which is basically the SUV version that shares the most with the Ridgeline despite the "experts" here who tell us it's really the Odyssey. And yes, like the Pilot, the RL can send 70% of torque to the rear wheels if needed. My Pilot does very well in snow and sand.
I'm going to have a lot more time after this year for my outdoor travels and would love the utility of another truck, but love the ride and features of the Ridgeline....with that bombproof motor they still use. I plan on going cross country in it. Yes. I have already been test driving them.
Even though the heaviest thing I tow is 3000#, and a Ridgeline could handle it, I would use one of the company trucks I own (Fords and 1 Dodge) to tow with. And that's only 4-5 times a year and not too far.

I could really like a Ridgeline as my Pilot bounces me quite comfortably between my 2 homes 900 miles apart. And doesnt break the bank doing it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I find Honda's "CRV all the things!" styling to be objectionable, and you should too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These threads always go well. I say go for it. The Ridgeline is more "truck" than most people need nowadays, while being a pretty comfortable and more affordable daily driver.
View Quote
This for me. As always, YMMV.

I bought my Ridgeline new in 2006. I am approaching 14 years and a quarter million drama free miles with only the added expense of factory recommended preventive maintenance and consumables.

I does everything I need it to do. It hauls my annual purchase of mulch, rocks and topsoil, salt for the softener, a deer or two every once in a while, my fishing gear plus light towing. It seats 5 in relative comfort, drives pretty comfortably, handles snow, sand (OBX, NC) and mud well enough for my purposes. Great for picking up the occasional BIG BOX, moving my kids OUT of the house and hauling lumber (4x8 sheets lay FLAT in the bed). The in-the-bed trunk is great for transporting guns and gear without anybody seeing what I got.

If you have NEED for an F350 then, well, that’s what you need. I don’t.

Haters gonna hate. Personally, I don’t need a huge, expensive “truck” with a Ford right GM label just to validate my man card or satisfy my peer group.

I bought Machineguns with all the money I saved on the purchase price, paying cash, lack of repairs and lower insurance rates
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He's conveying the fact that he owns one and may have a bit more experience with the platform then you. It would be no different if he stated his opinion and showed a pic of the truck in his driveway, he's showing ownership.

Are you drunk ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline

Are you drunk ?
More than likely. He can't seem to comprehend the fact that there is different trucks for different purposes and that a truck doesn't need a 400 horse power engine with forward and rear locking  differentials. to fulfill ones needs. I drive on pavement no need for 4 wheel drive, if I did I would have bought one for sure though. I also agree with a lot of people that say it's kind of ugly, but it is growing on me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good call, and tough to argue!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the most controversial vehicle of arfcom. Hated by those who don't own one, and loved by those whose wives let them own a truck.
Good call, and tough to argue!
I'm sorry you have to define your sexuality through your vehicular choices. That must get exhausting having to drive a pink Dodge Dart around all the time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline
View Quote
Dude. Just shut up and get the minivan already!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline
View Quote
Just a pic of the "Truck" to help you "Project"

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve got a 07 Ridgeline and a 2 post lift.... nobody has taken me up on the offer to try and hold the rear wheels with it in drive, at idle.

My only complaint has been the paint. After 12 years and never inside UV has killed the clearcoat.  Current Ridgeline is also built in Lincoln Alabama.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thoughts ...............don't need a full size truck so...... Toyota owner now
View Quote
You probably need to figure out if it can actually do what you want with it.

I have a 2019 as a daily driver, but I also own a full size SUV (FJ60) for off-roading, a full size truck (Tundra) for towing, and a CRV for wife-duty. I bought it purely as a driver that can somewhat back-up my real truck in a pinch. It is able to tow my car hauler with my rallycross car on it quite well, and they weigh in around 4,400lbs.

I love mine, but I love it for all of the reasons that people deride it. It is very comfortable inside and handles much more car-like than truck like, which is great for my 100 mile round trip every day. I hate commuting in the "real" truck. It also has plenty of crafty storage which is great for hauling around a ton of baby crap without it being in the way. The current AWD system is essentially identical hardware to what is under an MDX with SH-AWD, but with different programming, so it is actually very capable contrary to the uninformed opinions above.

I went in to buy a Passport, as I needed something easier to get in and out of due to some health issues, but talked myself into the Ridgeline after playing with it some. I live in a rural area, so I wanted something that could at least handle unimproved roads, and putting the trash-cans in the back of an SUV or hatch-back to drive them out to the road is a pain in the ass.

It is definitely not the biggest, strongest, or most effective "pickup truck", but as a utilitarian daily driver it is a great little vehicle. I would not buy one to lift, daily tow/haul, or go off-roading.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck yeah

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivan>Ridgeline
Thanks ridge line owner, I’ll get right on that

You all enjoy your ridgelines, I’ll stick with my original advice to OP.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like a mini van with back cut off
View Quote
That's because it is.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For shits and giggles i looked up the stats. The truck can tow 1500 pounds more.
View Quote
Again, I'm talking less numbers and more feel/real world capabilites. FWD based anything always sucks for towing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
As soon as there is a deal on the 2020’s I will be buying a Ridgeline.  Wife has a Pilot and I love it.  I only need a truck as I keep all my steel and USPSA training stuff in the bed instead of the passenger cabin like in an SUV to limit lead in the cabin.  It does everything I need, is comfortable.  I drive an F-150 now but want better fuel economy and ride quality.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't see why anyone would buy one over a Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, or Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't see why anyone would buy one over a Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, or Colorado.
View Quote
Build quality, build origin, FUAW, and driving dynamics.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As soon as there is a deal on the 2020’s I will be buying a Ridgeline.  Wife has a Pilot and I love it.  I only need a truck as I keep all my steel and USPSA training stuff in the bed instead of the passenger cabin like in an SUV to limit lead in the cabin.  It does everything I need, is comfortable.  I drive an F-150 now but want better fuel economy and ride quality.
View Quote
An EB F150 will get similar mileage and have a crap load more power.... And probably cost about the same, since Honda thinks their shit doesn't stink like Toyota.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An EB F150 will get similar mileage and have a crap load more power.... And probably cost about the same, since Honda thinks their shit doesn't stink like Toyota.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford has gotten their last buck from me.  Never again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
In 2013 I looked at everything and it came out on top, 2# was a Frontier then F150 with a 5.0
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If I were a betting man I’d say the Ridgeline driver has a higher net worth than the brodozer driver.
View Quote
A bro with a + net worth? I guess it's possible.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#46]
People really care way too much about what other men think about them based on things they own.  That seems pretty... ghey to me.

Get what you like, and what does the jobs you need it to do. Period.

I have a Tacoma, and I do love it, though sometimes the 'truck-like' handling is annoying. I like the capabilities and the style. And it's a Toyota, so I could potentially keep it forever. I never considered a Ridgeline but I've always had a bit of curiosity about them. I'd probably like the more car-like ride for daily driving. They also look better now that they don't do that angled bed side thing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Many guys that own a truck don't really need a heavy duty work truck.

I am one of them.  I just want a truck that is comfortable to drive that I can haul something from Home Depot every once in a great while.

The Ridgeline fits that bill nicely.  Like someone said, a Pilot with a truck bed.

If I lived on a ranch I probably wouldn't own one.

If I needed a work truck for a business I would chose something else.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Does your husband like it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does your husband like it?
View Quote
My wife does
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everyone here hauls 15k daily for their 7 figure job. I suggest you find another source for gathering data.
View Quote
This. Most Super Duty's are kept nicer than my wife's RX 350....and definitely nicer than my RX.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top