Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/2/2020 9:17:03 PM EDT
Ok, sub guys, we used to have two ELF stations, to broadcast a code group a submerged sub could receive, that meant, "Come to antennae depth for updated instructions right away!" or words to that effect.

We don't have an ELF station anymore.

So how would we get the subs in if stuff goes down?

SME comments welcome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
E6B/Looking Glass
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
elf and magnets
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quantum Entanglement.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have a need to know.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, sub guys, we used to have two ELF stations, to broadcast a code group a submerged sub could receive, that meant, "Come to antennae depth for updated instructions right away!" or words to that effect.

We don't have an ELF station anymore.

So how would we get the subs in if stuff goes down?

SME comments welcome.
View Quote

I don't think you will get current information on this subject even from SMEs
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E6B/Looking Glass
View Quote

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles of dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't think you will get current information on this subject even from SMEs
View Quote

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You know why you don't hear anything about telepathy anymore? Because it's reached the stage of being deployable for mission-critical applications. Shhhhh. I washed out of the program, but you're not supposed to know. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles on dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.
View Quote

It just so happens that they have these things called spools.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You know why you don't hear anything about telepathy anymore? Because it's reached the stage of being deployable for mission-critical applications. Shhhhh. I washed out of the program, but you're not supposed to know. You're welcome.
View Quote

The Shop!
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Submarines were definitely not what I thought the thread was about. But I'm a pervert.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a Hamateur. You're not broadcasting a signal from an aircraft that's reaching a sub 200' feet down. It's a totally tubular not-happener.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Submarines were definitely not what I thought the thread was about. But I'm a pervert.

View Quote

I thought I told you not to speak, slave, or you will have to clean the tub with your tongue.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Used to be a certain split of ELF and VLF coverage was required when covering an alert target package (the requirement existed because everyone hated ELF).  Now ELF is gone.   Couple different useful antennas for VLF which work well at alert coverage speed/depths and offer a lot of flexibility.  Spend a lot of time also covering HF voice (TACAMO) which sucked, mostly because it took extra manpower and was spotty depending on where you were and the typical HF reasons.

ELF was a pain since it was fairly directional on the floating wire with only the one station.  Doing a turn required coordinating speed and the time within a tight window when you'd throw the rudder over to be able to stay within the coverage requirements.  Boomer turns are slow.

ELF had a ridiculously slow baud rate.  You'd spend a long time getting a code that said either "A-Ok" or "Come shallow NOW!"

Not sure why exactly ELF was canned, but I'd take VLF all day every day for a laundry list of reasons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
A long dangling wire out of a 747.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Google is a motherfuqqer

Open source, found in seconds.  You’re right though, only 60 ft down. If you believe the open source article.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm a Hamateur. You're not broadcasting a signal from an aircraft that's reaching a sub 200' feet down. It's a totally tubular not-happener.
View Quote

That is exactly the job of the E-6. Pay out the antenna wire from a spool while circling the ocean and transmit away.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Magic and shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
That is classified son.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Stand on the shore and through a can and string in the ocean.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A long dangling wire out of a 747.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?
View Quote

I bet this thread has many eyes on it from many places just hoping for a slip, personally I think we have awesome tech that our enemy's should fear ever being used
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I think our VLF sites are effective enough to eliminate the ELF ones.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I probably shouldn't tell you this but every sub now sails with a paper cup on board with an attached string that stretchs all the back to another paper cup at the HQ. Keep it quiet, mums the word

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#26]
They just have a phone line that trails behind them that is attached to a big spool.

But it's a party line, so if you get to talk to your girl, know that the guys in the torpedo room are listening in and trying not to laugh.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Everybody has wifi
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bet this thread has many eyes on it from many places just hoping for a slip, personally I think we have awesome tech that our enemy's should fear ever being used
View Quote

Yeah man the Russians get a lot of naval intelligence via Arfcom.

It’s a big deal in the cybersecurity world: arfshing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
You throw a couple loaves of sliced bread on the water and when they get hungry enough they’ll come up and eat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles on dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.

This article says the antenna are over 26000 ft long.

Link
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Check with NY Times for the most current classified information.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
One ping, one ping only.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't need ELF with today's super sensitive passive sonar. Now we use these gals

Vanuatu Women's Water Music - Trailer
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No 747.  I deal with it as part of my job.

E4B the one that passes the words to the E6 and our nuclear forces.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One ping, one ping only.
View Quote

Damnit, I came to post this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Used to be a split of ELF or VLF coverage when covering an alert target package.  Now ELF is gone.   Couple different useful antennas for VLF which work well at alert coverage speed/depths and offer a lot of flexibility.

ELF was a pain since it was fairly directional on the floating wire with only the one station.  Doing a turn required coordinating speed and the time within a tight window when you'd throw the rudder over to be able to stay within the coverage requirements.  Boomer turns are slow.

ELF had a ridiculously slow baud rate.  You'd spend a long time getting a code that said either "A-Ok" or "Come shallow NOW!"
View Quote

You were supposed to keep fucking with me mercilessly until pg 2 but thank you. This is what I'm after.

So, it's sort of assumed that any event will be proceeded by a gradual escalation and the subs will be ordered to patrol at a depth where they can receive real time updates? What happens in the event the shit is an afternoon delight? They find out at the next scheduled surfacing and everyone's either excited or silent on the radio?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One ping, one ping only.
View Quote

Damn. Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Yahoo Mail
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles of dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.
View Quote

ELF and VLF propagate clean through.
This ain't Baofeng stuff.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Google is a motherfuqqer

Open source, found in seconds.  You’re right though, only 60 ft down. If you believe the open source article.
View Quote

I was there. Maybe they obfuscated in my radio prop courses for National Security reasons, but that seems like it would have some cascade effect on math for other shit. 60' is about right. I saw that, hence the Q. You can SEE a sub on the ol' Mk1 EB, if it's only sixty feet down, from the air in like 2/3 of the ocean if the waves are reasonable, and nearly everywhere at 30'.

You can see WHALES at that depth, ffs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Thought this was going to be a gay BDSM thread. Clicked anyways.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is exactly the job of the E-6. Pay out the antenna wire from a spool while circling the ocean and transmit away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to see the white paper on this spooled aerial radio broadcasting without an earth at sufficient power to reach more than 50-75 below  the ocean surface.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You were supposed to keep fucking with me mercilessly until pg 2 but thank you. This is what I'm after.

So, it's sort of assumed that any event will be proceeded by a gradual escalation and the subs will be ordered to patrol at a depth where they can receive real time updates? What happens in the event the shit is an afternoon delight? They find out at the next scheduled surfacing and everyone's either excited or silent on the radio?
View Quote

Different coverage requirements depending on whether you were alert, mod-alert, or non-alert.  An alert boat is monitoring 24/7.  Any sub in general has to copy the broadcast couple times a day.  At a certain def-con, boats may automatically assume a different alert posture and sortie.  Operating procedures said a launch order without escalating def-cons is dubious.  There's a lot of traffic that needs to go over the wire so it's prioritized and sent over a clock schedule.  Op orders, intel, weather, admin, news/sports, family stuff.  Was typical that the window closed before family stuff got uploaded.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#44]
WiFi Mesh Network.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I probably shouldn't tell you this but every sub now sails with a paper cup on board with an attached string that stretchs all the back to another paper cup at the HQ. Keep it quiet, mums the word

View Quote

Back in my day, we only had soup cans. They didn't develop the acoustically superior styrene Solo cups until later.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Different coverage requirements depending on whether you were alert, mod-alert, or non-alert.  An alert boat is monitoring 24/7.  Any sub in general has to copy the broadcast couple times a day.  At a certain def-con, boats may automatically assume a different alert posture and sortie.  Operating procedures said a launch order without escalating def-cons is dubious.  There's a lot of traffic that needs to go over the wire so it's prioritized and sent over a clock schedule.  Op orders, intel, weather, admin, news/sports, family stuff.  Was typical that the window closed before family stuff got uploaded.
View Quote

That seems rational. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Twitter.....if they're not in Twitter jail.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#49]
We used to get 10 forms to give to family with 50 blank spaces on them for family grams (name and rank got subtracted out of the 50).  The opposite crew screened and uploaded them, and the XO (and/or COB) on the ship screened them before you got it in hand.  You were doing well to get 6 or 7 in a 10 week patrol.

I got pulled aside one day and asked "who is Missy?" by the XO.  Missy was my parent's lab.  The message in question included "Missy disappeared 5 days.  Came home stinking of diesel and whiskey."  She'd fallen into an oil drain pit in someone's barn.  Anything sexy would get the name redacted and posted outside crews mess.  I remember someone's wife sent something about missing Monday Night Football that was amazingly phrased and got the whole crew worked up. She was a gifted poet.

And like I said, we had orders to cover scheduled HF voice transmissions from time to time as part of routine business.  When the def-con ratcheted up, those bands would go in availability.  "alfa velvita knuckle underwear sphincter spider mucous ringworm.  I repeat alfa velvita...." with a paper shredder running in the background, and the signal fading in and out.  Picture DX from turbo prop.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No 747.  I deal with it as part of my job.

E4B the one that passes the words to the E6 and our nuclear forces.
View Quote

Oh, I thought it was those Navy 707's painted white that fly over my house all the time.

I work with a guy who used to be aircrew for those things, back when (he says) they used C-130's.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top