Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you will get current information on this subject even from SMEs

Probably not, I don't need to know any classified shit specifically. Do we have one, though, of some sort?

Do we have one?
Absolutely.
Orange juice cans and string, due to budget cuts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Imagine for a moment the sub wasn't the thing receiving the message
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was there. Maybe they obfuscated in my radio prop courses for National Security reasons, but that seems like it would have some cascade effect on math for other shit. 60' is about right. I saw that, hence the Q. You can SEE a sub on the ol' Mk1 EB, if it's only sixty feet down, from the air in like 2/3 of the ocean if the waves are reasonable, and nearly everywhere at 30'.

You can see WHALES at that depth, ffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google is a motherfuqqer

Open source, found in seconds.  You’re right though, only 60 ft down. If you believe the open source article.

I was there. Maybe they obfuscated in my radio prop courses for National Security reasons, but that seems like it would have some cascade effect on math for other shit. 60' is about right. I saw that, hence the Q. You can SEE a sub on the ol' Mk1 EB, if it's only sixty feet down, from the air in like 2/3 of the ocean if the waves are reasonable, and nearly everywhere at 30'.

You can see WHALES at that depth, ffs.

RIF

“If the submarine is too deep to receive the signal, the VLF antenna can be floated to a shallower depth via a buoy while the submarine remains underway at greater depth.”
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bellyflop, at least a 250lb'er
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

RIF

"If the submarine is too deep to receive the signal, the VLF antenna can be floated to a shallower depth via a buoy while the submarine remains underway at greater depth."
View Quote

Ocean is big and vast.  As are the patrol areas.  Waaaay offshore.  You'd have to be right on top and looking at the right instant to catch a shallow boat.  And we were seldom there anyhow.  Only valid tool in town is a kickass radar and those have pitiful coverage in comparison to the areas assigned to the boats (call it 6 to 8x Colorado).  And even then you have to leave something sticking up, which is rare.

Quiet as fuck and slowly lurking about down safe out in the middle of nowhere.

I personally discovered a mountain one time.  Never been driven over before.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imagine for a moment the sub wasn't the thing receiving the message
View Quote

Well, as I understand it, the ELF didn't transmit messages. They sent a single random character 24/7 at whatever rate the bandwidth allows, ~a couple seconds per character or so. The subs listened for a specific three character string that changed on a schedule, and if they heard it, they came to a depth to receive updates and orders. It was broadcast continuously, because obviously a sudden change in traffic volume would be noticed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

RIF

“If the submarine is too deep to receive the signal, the VLF antenna can be floated to a shallower depth via a buoy while the submarine remains underway at greater depth.”
View Quote

Yeah, but, but how do they know they ought to do that, if they don't do it as a matter of course?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, but, but how do they know they ought to do that, if they don't do it as a matter of course?
View Quote

The assigned alert boats have to maintain broadcast coverage.  Other boats at sea will get the word at most a little later.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Float the wire ....
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, I thought it was those Navy 707's painted white that fly over my house all the time.

I work with a guy who used to be aircrew for those things, back when (he says) they used C-130's.

View Quote

The jets you see are part of the C2.  

The E4B aircraft serve the purpose that once belonged at Cheyenne Mountain, being in one fixed location isn't smart so Rebound Echo became a thing.  The 707 aircraft was the primary NECAP while the 747 is the NAOC.  

Having one C2 nodes isn't wise so we have both airframes in operation. The 707 airframe is primarily a navy com asset while the 747 is for everyone with members from the navy and af on board.

To clarify NECAP is no longer used.  Only NAOC.  I am not sure what the 707 airframe mission that supports the navy is called.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#11]
8776 KHZ USB U.S. Navy Tacamo aircraft with EAM at 22:45 Z

Sounds like hf
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Whales
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think our VLF sites are effective enough to eliminate the ELF ones.
View Quote
It's not so much the effectiveness of the TX side. The RX side equipment has gotten much, much more sensitive, and better at signal isolation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You know why you don't hear anything about telepathy anymore? Because it's reached the stage of being deployable for mission-critical applications. Shhhhh. I washed out of the program, but you're not supposed to know. You're welcome.
View Quote

I knew that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The assigned alert boats have to maintain broadcast coverage.  Other boats at sea will get the word at most a little later.
View Quote

Unsatisfyingly plausible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles of dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E6B/Looking Glass

You can't transmit a signal at a low enough frequency to reach a submerged sub. You need miles of dipole antennae. 4 Hz.

Four.

I think they might be able now if the transmitter antenna is also submerged..? One ping only !
Along the lines of what they discovered with ultra low frequencies below the thermocline traveling thousands of miles. That Russian Sub tracking stuff in reverse.
Satellite bouy deployment while submerged.
Pre placed under water transmitter stations.
Ships at sea. Aircraft drops a bouy. Message says ?? = get back to us..?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The first wave boats will already be at periscope depth when it happens.

As for the others, ICBM capable of dropping a coms buoy on the pos of the second-wave boats is less than 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is classified son.
View Quote

I’m going to go with this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You don't have a need to know.  
View Quote

No freaking joke.  Who are these people?  "How does your radar work?"  "What frequency is command and control?"

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think they might be able now if the transmitter antenna is also submerged..? One ping only !
Along the lines of what they discovered with ultra low frequencies below the thermocline traveling thousands of miles. That Russian Sub tracking stuff in reverse.
Satellite bouy deployment while submerged.
Pre placed under water transmitter stations.
Ships at sea. Aircraft drops a bouy. Message says ?? = get back to us..?
View Quote

I always figured we had enough of these bouy stations to do this. Just needs to send the right signal from the bouy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
One ping only.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Motorola beeper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The jets you see are part of the C2.  

The E4B aircraft serve the purpose that once belonged at Cheyenne Mountain, being in one fixed location isn't smart so Rebound Echo became a thing.  The 707 aircraft was the primary NECAP while the 747 is the NAOC.  

Having one C2 nodes isn't wise so we have both airframes in operation. The 707 airframe is primarily a navy com asset while the 747 is for everyone with members from the navy and af on board.

To clarify NECAP is no longer used.  Only NAOC.  I am not sure what the 707 airframe mission that supports the navy is called.
View Quote

So, redundant parts of Looking Glass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
elf and magnets
View Quote

Elven magnets
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bet this thread has many eyes on it from many places just hoping for a slip, personally I think we have awesome tech that our enemy's should fear ever being used
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet this thread has many eyes on it from many places just hoping for a slip, personally I think we have awesome tech that our enemy's should fear ever being used

I highly doubt it...  unless you believe that every seaman submariner is James Bond with classified intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I know...
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are in the left hemisphere of the Earth, you contact the Greys and they handle it.  Right hemisphere belongs to the Reptiloids.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#28]
VLF.

There are Naval Radio Stations, like Jim Creek in Western Washington that transmit globally through the Earth's crust.
That message says send up your buoy.
The buoy gets a satellite burst transmission, or burst transmission from the E-6 TACAMO aircraft and it's on!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Four.
View Quote

LOL

Amateurs...
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ELF.

There are Naval Radio Stations, like Jim Creek in Western Washington that transmit globally through the Earth's crust.
That message says send up your buoy.
The buiy gets a satellite burst transmission, or burst transmission from the E-6 TACAMO aircraft and it's on!
View Quote

I've been there many times. Interesting place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Tic tac couriers
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#32]
they get a tweet on twitter
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#33]
They have some little fucker from India call about their vehicle warranty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Text/Facetime
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No 747.  I deal with it as part of my job.
E4B the one that passes the words to the E6 and our nuclear forces.
View Quote

If the E4B goes tits up the E6B assumes that roll when the battle staff is on board.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#36]
A lot of bullshit being tossed about.
I was once a Flight Engineer on the E-6B.

Ask questions, if I can answer them I will.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Google is a motherfuqqer

Open source, found in seconds.  You’re right though, only 60 ft down. If you believe the open source article.
View Quote

I've been on one of those at an airshow.

I didn't know we scrapped the ELF stations.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:17:44 AM EDT
[#38]
CARRIER...
Pidgeon ...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Witchcraft happens then poof, an EAM appears in the skipper's hands.

There may be a dolphin sacrifice required beforehand. Or is it a commie virgin? I don't remember.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Watch this

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Already mentioned. I think the answer is Jim Creek. The antennas span a mountain valley. Cool place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Creek_Naval_Radio_Station
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#43]
By iPhone you silly Chinese and Ruski agents!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:02:59 AM EDT
[#44]
KISS

Beavers ffs

And wtf with real science on the first page?

Rookies....
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I see a lot of John Walker wannabies checking in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I should read more about this. Off to investigate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The Shop!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know why you don't hear anything about telepathy anymore? Because it's reached the stage of being deployable for mission-critical applications. Shhhhh. I washed out of the program, but you're not supposed to know. You're welcome.

The Shop!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I give her the hand signal to assume Nadu so she knows it is time to truly listen.

Doesn’t everyone?

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Google is a motherfuqqer

View Quote

There have been reports of one of these planes flying over both the Atlantic coast and Pacific Coast since Trump went to Walter Reed. Hell, I even saw an article about it in todays La Prensa (Honduran newspaper).

Yep, here it is right here: https://www.laprensa.hn/mundo/1412606-410/aviones-militares-sobrevuelan-eeuu-tras-contagio-de-trump-de-coronavirus
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
We broadcast Marvin Gaye on all HF frequencies.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top