Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Fun fantasy.  That is all.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The same thing could be said about shapeshifters (werewolves, skinwalkers, Fox-Kitsune people), various types of undead (spirits, ghosts, vampires, revenants, etc) and of course Demons.
View Quote

I had an english teacher in highschool who, to this day, I would classify as "undead".
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I understand that Noah wouldn't let the dragons on the ark because they are fire hazards.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's opium and came from "chasing the dragon" term used for Chinese opium dens.
View Quote
It will make you feel as though the rest of the world is in a bubble of glass, and that you're rubbing up against it like a bad windshield wiper.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#5]
These might have had something to do with it.

It would be interesting to do some historical research to find out when dragons first appeared in various cultures of antiquity.

China likely found the Komodo dragons first, with their 11th century navy.  

Did they export the concept to European cultures?

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This is just a guess.

But likely a misrepresentation of dinosaur fossils.

People also found mammoth bones thousands of years ago and thought they were some type of giant cyclops based on the skulls.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Satan is called "The Red Dragon" in the bible.

Many names...same being....in every human culture.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More importantly....how do you explain how basically every English speaking country had a version of Jingle Bells Batman Smells, before the internet existed?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Satan is called "The Red Dragon" in the bible.

Many names...same being....in every human culture.
View Quote

Which was written and compiled ling after dragons were already mythology....
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All over the world?  In nearly every language it is similar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.

All over the world?  In nearly every language it is similar.

Lung (Long/ Looong) in China, Ryuu in Japan (like much in Japanese, Chinese loan) - you get the later Doragon as a loan word (English), same with Tagalog (Spanish). Basmu in Akkadian.

Apep in Egyptian, Orochi in Classical Japanese, Typhon in Classical Greek (tho drakon as a class, niether seem attested in Mycenaean) Quetzalcoatl in Nahuatl, Tiamat in Sumerian, Vritra in Vedic myth slain by Indra - all are more personal names than a class of being. Azi Dahaka in old Persian (individual name) gave way to the class Azhdaha (interesting because another  Indo-European language daughter of  Proto-Indo-Iranian  - Dahaka close to Dragon, in Old Persian was Snake)

So the close forms of Dragon - and Wurm/Wyvern, seem to be rooted in Indo-European origins of "snake" . Tho the original Indo-European root, like many PiE words isn't recognizable. Many of the similar words in other languages are loans words.

Heroes need Monsters. Much of the earliest stories are creation myths, then later Serpents become heroic opposition to be overcome. But many of the things that existed earlier and geographically discontinuous are linguistically and characteristically dissimilar - in description and in artistic depiction. Some characteristics seem to spread - like the Hongshan iconography and Egyptian Ouroboros - so stem from a common root or transmitted, unsure.

But seems these earlier mythic beings kinda post hoc get stitched together into a homogenized view of the medieval synthesis of "dragon", when some of the earliest stuff isn't very dragon-like. Serpent/Snake seems more apt, earliest myths commonly tied in with chaos/disorder in Middle East/Mediterranean, water/rain/thunder in Central and East Asia, (even in Aboriginal Australia where a Serpent is tied to Rainbows) and in early PIE cultures not much at all - seems to have been adopted from beliefs in Ancient Middle East as Chinese Dragons seem to originate, at least earliest zoomorphic expressions in the Xinglongwa, then diffused from there.

Lots of comparative mythology on this.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheers lads.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Similar reason as to why all the pyramids have a similar shape.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Myth?

Saint George, Saint Phillip and Saint Theodore are known for defeating dragons, and of Course Saint Michael the archangel who is mentioned fighting the dragon in Revelation 12:7-9.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Dragon good in East bad in West but I’m not aware of dragon in Africa?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Epic flood stories are fairly universal across many cultures all over the world too. AJ mentions this a lot on The Why Files podcasts.  These are either stories that have staying power due to some sort of psychological uniformity in humans, or something made a huge impact on everybody all over the world to the point it's still talked about.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#17]
A confirmed sighting of a meat eating dragon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
"Dragon" = actual pre-flood dinosaur kind of animal, where most examples died during the flood (3298BC), were around post flood but before Babel (2850BC), and were also around after the dispersion, for at least a while.  I think in ancient China, the last "dragon" was an emporers pet, not much larger than a dog, died in like 1328BC.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Clearly a remnant of primitive cultures attempting to explain widely observed alien visitors. The aliens came, took a look around and said "Nope!" They hightailed it out of here, but people across the globe have been trying to describe what their ancestors saw ever since.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Dragons are what we called dinosaurs before they changed to word … in the 30’s?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Easily defeated by microbes.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Dinosaur fossils. It's not like humans never discovered them before
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The same thing could be said about shapeshifters (werewolves, skinwalkers, Fox-Kitsune people), various types of undead (spirits, ghosts, vampires, revenants, etc) and of course Demons.

What about Balrogs?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32329/main-qimg-a11c14c36046d2285221702e16bc46-3040468.JPG

Balrogs are a type of Demon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Anunnaki

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Because, like, they're DRAGONS, man!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#27]
TMFINR
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maneaters, especially leopards
Other Hominid species
Human serial killers
My working hypothesis is that these, along with a healthy dose of fireside storytelling, are the factual basis for many if not all lethal otherworldly creatures.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dragon good in East bad in West but I’m not aware of dragon in Africa?
View Quote

Seemingly bad in African folklore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_mythology_and_folklore

African folkloric Dragons are similar to Asian style Dragons as they are serpentine in nature.

Africa has lore concerning various types of undead-including vampire types and shapeshifters.

https://mythicalrealm.com/humanoid-mythical-creatures/shapeshifters-around-world/
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#30]
There was supposed to be a Dragon that lived under Wowel Castle in Poland that to this day you can visit the cave and statue that you touch for good luck.

Edit: The City of Krakow was named after the guy that killed it by giving it a sheep filled with sulfur.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Other Hominid species
Human serial killers
My working hypothesis is that these, along with a healthy dose of fireside storytelling, are the factual basis for many if not all lethal otherworldly creatures.
View Quote

And disease, AKA evil spirits.  Time to bury bodies upside down or accuse others of witchcraft! (or Shamanism)
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dragons are what we called dinosaurs before they changed to word   in the 30's?
View Quote

Owen coined the term early 1800s, I don't think he, Cuvier, Mantells, Buckland, any of the early Naturalists that were involved with nascent paleontology (phrase came into use about the same time) used the term Dragon. Maybe more colloquial?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Myth?

Saint George, Saint Phillip and Saint Theodore are known for defeating dragons, and of Course Saint Michael the archangel who is mentioned fighting the dragon in Revelation 12:7-9.

View Quote

I have an Icon of St. Michael with a sword and shield, fighting the dragon, on my desk.  I am thinking about a new one with St. Michael armed with an M4 and body armor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Other Hominid species
Human serial killers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other Hominid species
Human serial killers

Many early Steppe Cultures had "Wolf Cults" - the wolf was somehow related to warrior bands and coming of age ceremonies.  Dogs/wolves were used/killed/sacrificed in rituals, appearing to associate with young men. This gets tied in with the Koryos, the transcendent and shamanism - later Ulfheoner - Wolf Soldiers like Beserkir > Bear. Mostly German thinkers over the last couple hundred years constructed this set of associsition, but it's a good enough model, if unlikely to be entirely accurate.

Maybe they were viewed as actual animals, or filled with animal spirits, or representative of some supernatural aspect. In some later stories there warnings if the Wolf never leaves, so the individual is outside the normal. This has been posited as a warning/description reflecting cases were members of the Koryos/Warband doesn't return to the "normal" bounds of society, where they are accepted back, take wives, join adult male society You see this reflected in many PIE daughter culture customs.These myths are the "unnatural" wolf-men that become the basis for much later European stories (folk-takes) that keep the values but loses the reasons.

So Lon Chaney Jr was fulfilling some actual societal usefulness, we just miss the context.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Dragons are merely depictions in men’s dreams that their old lady would leave them…..or that she wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#39]
GD's consistent lack of imagination never disappoints
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you really believe not a single dinosaur bone was uncovered prior to the 1800s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If flying dragons were real, they'd have thin hollow bones which wouldn't fossilize easily. The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's, dragons have been portrayed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior, and in parts of the world where dinosaur fossils aren't found.

Do you really believe not a single dinosaur bone was uncovered prior to the 1800s?

That really was a rather silly theory.     People were digging holes in the ground for a couple years before the advent of Museums.  

Not to mention, the fossils that get exposed naturally.  

Personally, I think Dragons were Crocodiles and giant Lizards (mostly).    

Think about how many people were taken by those beauties over the years.  

It was them, (and the mozzies) that kept sub saharan Africa in the Stone age.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Almost anything primitive cultures were unable to explain was explained by attributing it to some kind of supernatural force.  

Most religions are the same way.  Supernatural beings that no one has ever seen are attributed with all manner of happenings.  It has been that way since the Greeks, Romans, Asian peoples, Indian (dot not feather) peoples and Europeans have all done that.

Children talk with their unseen friends, (adults refer to them as imaginary) and many adults also talk with unseen entities (pray), yet for some reason the adults believe their unseen friends are more real than a childs.  I am no different.

Crazy people hear voices, that other people say are imaginary, and I once asked a psychologist "How do you know they aren't receiving some kind of communication that we can't perceive?"
He didn't have an answer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Dragon …… we ate them …..needed more BBQ sauce but goes great with Mead.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  "Dragon" = actual pre-flood dinosaur kind of animal, where most examples died during the flood (3298BC), were around post flood but before Babel (2850BC), and were also around after the dispersion, for at least a while.  I think in ancient China, the last "dragon" was an emporers pet, not much larger than a dog, died in like 1328BC.
View Quote

Links?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys don't believe in dragons?

weird.

you probably question the existence of Bigfoot, too.  Rubes.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have an Icon of St. Michael with a sword and shield, fighting the dragon, on my desk.  I am thinking about a new one with St. Michael armed with an M4 and body armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Myth?

I read a really good book years ago that was similar to that. Leviathan I think? Lots of books named that, I couldn't find what I read. Synopsis is a company creates a dragon on an island, dragon gets loose, main character is the site electrician. It had a green cover.

Edit- here it is.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/leviathan_james-byron-huggins/393313/?resultid=ce26ce42-16a4-4d2e-943c-41527dbbbf46#edition=1604200&idiq=1491572
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

What film is this I need to watch it…
@DistanceX
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why European dragons have wings and the Oriental ones don't, even though they can also fly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why European dragons have wings and the Oriental ones don't, even though they can also fly?

I think the Chinese dragon is related to meteors/fireballs. Maybe they all are.

Fossils too.

Seems weird people would think mammoths were cyclops since we hunted them for millennia.

Quoted:
Epic flood stories are fairly universal across many cultures all over the world too. AJ mentions this a lot on The Why Files podcasts.  These are either stories that have staying power due to some sort of psychological uniformity in humans, or something made a huge impact on everybody all over the world to the point it's still talked about.

Sea level has risen about 100 meters since the last glacial maximum, with many rapid events along the way. The biggest one was at the beginning of the holocene. There's reason to believe that one started off with a sudden event like an ocean strike and is likely the original source of the global flood stories.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I dunno, but it would be badass if Smaug was real.

What round for Smaug?
View Quote

Um, black arrow?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Dragons were the comets of the Younger Dryas blazing fire across the sky and scorching the ground wherever they touched down.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top