User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5'9" and 147 lbs is emaciated.

I'm the same height and 165 right now, probably 12% BF......and I'm too small.

Eat and lift.
View Quote

This, @ 5’9 and 147 you should already have  abs. I don’t know how 15% bf is possible at that height/ weight ratio.

Also 1,000  calories is comically low . Eat more food and stop being weak.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere between honey boo boo and John candy but with Ron Jeremy's member.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
5’10” and 181! Lift heavy 3 days a week and ride my bike/run on the other 4???????
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I've had a single goal all Spring and Summer: to get as lean as I can.

I've been on a ridiculous cut, and at this point, I look really good.
Based on what I see in the mirror, I'm probably at about 15% body fat or slightly less.

My goal is to attain a full 6-pack before the end of the year, which often shows up around 10% body fat.

So I want all you fitness guys/gals out there to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.

So my program is essentially an intense calisthenics routine in order to maintain muscle.

Every day I'm doing about 6 sets of diamond pushups, 15 reps each.

5 sets of pullups (6 reps), 5 sets of chinups (8 reps), several max sets of dips, planking for about a minute or more.

And I go on a walk where I walk about 10k steps. If the walk feels too easy, I'll put about 27 lbs of weight on my back.

I'm taking in about 1k calories a day, with about 176g protein per day.

I'm about 5 ft 9.5" tall, and weigh 147 lbs.

I know I'm already on the small size, and most would recommend I do a lean bulk, but I plan on leaning out even more, and then lean/slow bulking once I have my desired midsection.

I know 1k calories is considered far too low, but my chest, shoulders, upper back, and arms are still very muscled, and I do look fairly chiseled.

What do you guys do, and what would you recommend I do differently? Am I crazy, or should I stay on the path I'm currently on? Since doing this, the fat has literally been melting off my belly. It gets flatter and flatter literally every week, and I'm not noticing a significant loss in calisthenics strength.
View Quote

My whole life is living on my feet, usually carrying an 18# pack. Walk almost everywhere, work has me running around a 3-story building all night, and I have access to a badass weight room. I eat lots of meat, protein supp, tons of berries and carrots. I am not a Bubba. 5'7" ~145#
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Only until I drop 5% body fat, if that. Then I hit maintenance for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP is on a non-sustainable, starvation diet with only 1,000 calories/day and working out.

You are actually hurting yourself.

Your body has crashed your metabolism (or will) at 1000 calories.

Up the calories. Find your maintenance. Drop 300 calories below maintenance.

Lift weights.

I can do 26 pull-ups bc I do weighted pull-ups and actually progress. Progressive overload is a thing. So is not doing death march cuts.

You're not going to be able to sustain 5% for very long. Get to 10% (if you can even measure) and see how that feels. You're probably best off 12 to 15%
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran 2.3 miles this morning in the SETX heat. I run that most days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm fitness cake in my mouth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
6'4" 587lbs
View Quote

That’s Lotboy.

Give some away
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife jokingly threatened to leave my when I got down into the 140s. Also 5’ 9”. My gall bladder gave out and I hadn’t eaten much for a month. Said I looked like a concentration camp prisoner.

170 now with 32” waist but my ass has wasted away like Hank Hill’s did. Back is trash and I can’t really run or deadlift. Getting lots of weird nerve or sciatica type pain and restlessness. Certain types of magnesium help with spasms.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 61, 6'-3", 201#'s, and have always been active.  This year I decided to get back into serious good shape.  Cut out all junk food, no crackers, snacks, sugar, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, no eating after dinner, etc..  We have always eaten good healthy non processed food.  I power walk the dogs off leash every morning 5 miles seven days a week, workout in the gym 6 days a week.  Currently, I'm at my college weight and feel really good.  The trick is not injuring yourself.  My problem is I like to push my workouts which usually results in pain.  Resting at proper intervals is very important.  My favorite time of day is first light when the stars are still shining.  I'm always sweating then!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP is on a non-sustainable, starvation diet with only 1,000 calories/day and working out.
View Quote

Well yeah, that's obvious.

It's not meant to be sustainable.  Once you hit your target you bump calories back up.  He should hit it quickly if he can keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I just 1500 calories of ribeye steak and I’m super lean.  6’1” 179 lbs and well muscled.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, This is GD bro.

Everyone here is 6'2" 220lbs all muscle with models for wives that do whatever they ask her to do. And all drive lambos and have 9 figures in the bank.

ETA: and all have a 10 incher+ in their pants ??
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to lift weights. Start squatting and deadlifting and whatever else makes you feel good mentally and it’ll all fall into place.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The actual real definition of fitness is cardio capacity. If you are 10% bodyfat, weigh 230lbs and can bench 480 but can't run a 5k in under 27 minutes you aren't fit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lift weights.

I can do 26 pull-ups bc I do weighted pull-ups and actually progress. Progressive overload is a thing. So is not doing death march cuts.

You're not going to be able to sustain 5% for very long. Get to 10% (if you can even measure) and see how that feels. You're probably best off 12 to 15%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lift weights.

What I meant to say is that I'm at roughly 15% and trying to drop to 10%. Once I get there I'll eat at maintenance and start doing heavy weight lifting again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 5'9" lift heavy 3x week and martial arts, I'm bulking right now and weigh 185 and look pretty good. When I hit 195 I'll cut to 168 and will be pretty ripped. I'm 53 btw.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am 6’3” and 215 lbs.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
The weight isn't as concerning as first glance but the 1k calories is a problem. Unless you just sit in a chair with zero physical activity at all during a day you are cannibalizing what muscle you have.

Everyone is different but the leanest I have ever been I was eating 3500 cal a day low carb. It's amazing how much food you have to force down to hit those numbers with no carbs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in pretty good shape for 72 YO. I jog a mile, do 20 pull ups, 30 push ups each week, and eat a well balanced diet with only healthy food.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
not superfit, but I can hold my own.

have been working out, got a personal trainer this year and their app to follow for at home stuff. my legs are stronger, back feels WAY better (back issues), and my arms are getting bigger, which is my main point to doing this. big arms and I want my back to feel good again.

its helping

dont ask me to run a mile in a plate carrier holding my rifle, I could do it but id be hurting.
im not fat nor am I "skinny". not really even a dad bod.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The actual real definition of fitness is cardio capacity. If you are 10% bodyfat, weigh 230lbs and can bench 480 but can't run a 5k in under 27 minutes you aren't fit.
View Quote

I was once weak too. I got better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey OP I’m going to tell you a secret the fats don’t want you to know. Are you ready? Ok.

You can absolutely eat <1k calories, assuming they’re the right calories, for extended periods, and be absolutely fine. No “starvation mode.” No “metabolic damage.” Just quicker weight loss. Not even any muscle loss if done right.

But don’t tell them our little secret. It makes them mad. They’ll screech broscience and misinterpreted studies to tell people that regularly do it, that it can’t be done.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
5’8” and 172.   Not sure about fat content but I walk about 30-40 miles a week.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't believe you, sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I’m  pretty good at 47 and 175lb

Ran 5mi last week @7:09 avg/mi

In the weight room:

I’m doing 5sets x 6 @260 on bench

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat

Why not? None of that is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fitness is how suited for a task you are. If that task is running a 5k under 27 minutes, then sure, you are right.

If that task is lifting heavy things, then you aren't.

The original English definition of fitness is "to be suitable".

Though we have grown to think of it exclusively in physical terms, the term fitness is actually defined as “the quality of being suitable,” and comes from adding the Old English suffix -ness, meaning “the state of being,” to the root word fit, meaning “proper or suitable,” which is of unknown origin (with theories ranging from Middle English to Old Norse). Looking at the initial definition, it is difficult to see how this could relate to exercise; however, considering it abstractly, fitness is the quality of being suitable relative to what is considered to be a healthy individual.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What I meant to say is that I'm at roughly 15% and trying to drop to 10%. Once I get there I'll eat at maintenance and start doing heavy weight lifting again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lift weights.

If you just put on muscle and kept the same amount of fat then your BF percentage would drop while you gained weight and got stronger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 5'9", 172#, and almost 57 yrs old.

I do weighted pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups and planks 3X a week. Lunges and squats at least once a week. Run 3-4 miles a few times per week, then lots of walking on the other days.

Working remote has been a huge blessing, as my pull-up bar and weights are right in my office.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Not very, but I'm working on it. My biggest issue is remember what I'm supposed to do after I get to the gym
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the weight room:

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat

Maybe because every fitness thread is unbelievable.  I have a short list in my head of regular fitness posters who I would take their word for it if they said they did something, yourself included.  I'm skeptical of most.  One guy says he's sub 4% body fat every day and functioning as normal for example.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe because every fitness thread is unbelievable.  I have a short list in my head of regular fitness posters who I would take their word for it if they said they did something, yourself included.  I'm skeptical of most.  One guy says he's sub 4% body fat every day and functioning as normal for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the weight room:

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat

I'm active in the fitness threads, and I can assure you that I'm medicore in almost every way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#33]
5'4" 135lbs.

I'm  a small guy.  

I run 5X week. 5k average  is 20:22. Not great, not bad.

Lost 50lbs last year.  Started a carnivore diet ehen I started exercising  but could have killed someone  for some broccoli so it ended up being  more of a paleo diet but it worked out. I'm  not getting  fat from the veggies on my garden.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm active in the fitness threads, and I can assure you that I'm medicore in almost every way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the weight room:

5sets x 6 @ 310 on squat

Mediocre is like 60% better than 100% of the US.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's a 5'9" guy at 125/160/150.  Certainly not emaciated.  I'd guess 95% of men would love to look like the 150lb shot.

https://i.redd.it/7sqv5jn73ra31.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.
Here's a 5'9" guy at 125/160/150.  Certainly not emaciated.  I'd guess 95% of men would love to look like the 150lb shot.

LOL he's not walking around at 150.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

So this random 47 year old on ARFCOM is bench pressing 75% of the masters raw powerlifting record, 60% of the masters raw powerlifting squat, and also running the better part of a 10k at his age groups average winning pace?

Like I said. I don't believe it.

https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/masters-world

https://www.olyrun.com/average-10k-time/
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So this random 47 year old on ARFCOM is bench pressing 75% of the masters raw powerlifting record, 60% of the masters raw powerlifting squat, and also running the better part of a 10k at his age groups average winning pace?

Like I said. I don't believe it.

https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/masters-world

https://www.olyrun.com/average-10k-time/
View Quote

The lifting numbers are respectable for his age and weight.  Nothing eye popping.

I'm not a runner, so I cannot speak to that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The lifting numbers are respectable for his age and weight.  Nothing eye popping.

I'm not a runner, so I cannot speak to that.
View Quote

They definitely are. I'm not saying those numbers on their own aren't possible for a man his age. I'm saying I don't believe he posts those numbers in all three himself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you just put on muscle and kept the same amount of fat then your BF percentage would drop while you gained weight and got stronger.
View Quote

He needs to go to Gainsville!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#40]
5 foot 3. 300 pounds. Eat lots of fudge rounds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

Body type is a thing.

Though op, i question your body fat percentage numbers. I dont see how they could be that high with your height weight intake and regimen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

Body type is a thing.

Though op, i question your body fat percentage numbers. I dont see how they could be that high with your height weight intake and regimen

Well... it's a possibility, if he doesn't have a sixpack.

As mentioned, a sixpack tends to show up around 10%BF. By 6-7% BF (what I used to maintain year round when still competing in Muay Thai/Sanshou decades ago), You don't have to flex the abs to show off the sixpack. It remains visible even when relaxed.

IIRC, at one point, the OP mentioned being a model. I'm kinda surprised at that height and weight, he isn't already under 10% (like the ripped, slim Calvin Klein underwear model types. Typically pretty small, but VERY lean).
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hey OP I’m going to tell you a secret the fats don’t want you to know. Are you ready? Ok.

You can absolutely eat <1k calories, assuming they’re the right calories, for extended periods, and be absolutely fine. No “starvation mode.” No “metabolic damage.” Just quicker weight loss. Not even any muscle loss if done right.

But don’t tell them our little secret. It makes them mad. They’ll screech broscience and misinterpreted studies to tell people that regularly do it, that it can’t be done.
View Quote

This.

It's weird that both the HAES people and the broscience people believe this Muh Starvation Mode crap.

You can certainly run yourself down by eating too little and doing too much exercise, and even "burn muh muscle" but it looks more like an Auschwitz diet than it does "I am only getting 1000 calories and working out some".
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
extremely less fit than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXUXO_pZ124
View Quote

Actually, I was watching the current season of American Ninja Warrior. Jessie Graf trained her mom to compete... at 81! And they showed her mom doing clean pullups at 81!!! Color me impressed. Most women can't do a single pullup. For a woman to be able to do that at 81 is impressive as heck (at a guess, I'd think 99% of men can't do a pullup at 81).
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#44]
5'9" and 147 huh?  Wow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It actually could be alot lower than that. I can see my top two abs and a bit of my 3rd and 4th abs below that. But I also tend to bloat alot around my midsection, so it's often hard to tell (I look leanest first thing in the AM). I plan on getting a Dexa scan soon so I can know for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

Body type is a thing.

It actually could be alot lower than that. I can see my top two abs and a bit of my 3rd and 4th abs below that. But I also tend to bloat alot around my midsection, so it's often hard to tell (I look leanest first thing in the AM). I plan on getting a Dexa scan soon so I can know for sure.

Get some skinfold calipers.

These are cheap, and can be used solo.

Amazon Product
  • YOUR OWN FITNESS GUIDE - Go anywhere you have to but take along with these easy to carry body fat calipers with you so that you can keep a check on your body fat percentage for a super slim you.

Practice with them until you develop the consistency in your technique to get 3 identical measurements in a row each time. Do this BEFORE getting the DEXA scan. This will give you an idea of your offset( the difference in your skinfold measurement BF%, vs the DEXA measured BF%). This way, you can measure your own BF% once a week, and track your progress.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let's see his legs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eat and lift.

Let's see his legs

Lol. We think alike
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

3.8%?

Are you prepping for a show or something?

That's what most pros shoot for when getting stage ready, and it's extremely unhealthy. Most men have an essential body fat percentage of about 5%, meaning that when you drop below that, things stop working.
View Quote

Nope, this is my normal baseline. I've always been the skinny guy and it made being a long distance runner in high school and college super easy.
Everything works just fine and I'd go dollars to donuts with just about anyone in Florida sun all day.
I'm trying to add thirty pounds to increase my overall strength for Cola reasons,  never tried to before.
I've got a buddy who was a longtime power lifter and if something heavy needed moving he'd come find me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#48]
6’3”
200. Okay to lazy fitness. I can perform if I must. But I prefer couch potato life.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm 5'3'' and 300lbs.
View Quote

I don't wanna pay for your fudge rounds, either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope, this is my normal baseline. I've always been the skinny guy and it made being a long distance runner in high school and college super easy.
Everything works just fine and I'd go dollars to donuts with just about anyone in Florida sun all day.
I'm trying to add thirty pounds to increase my overall strength for Cola reasons,  never tried to before.
I've got a buddy who was a longtime power lifter and if something heavy needed moving he'd come find me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.8%?

Are you prepping for a show or something?

That's what most pros shoot for when getting stage ready, and it's extremely unhealthy. Most men have an essential body fat percentage of about 5%, meaning that when you drop below that, things stop working.

How are you measuring your bf?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top