Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It really depends what you mean by safe. No radiation? never. The stuff was radioactive to some degree when it was mined out of the ground. Safe enough to work around with out high does rates (except for maybe the fuel itself)? Probably about another 120 years. Caesium-137 is one of the biggest contributors to gamma dose. It's half life is 30.05 years. After 5 or so half lives, most of it is gone. The quantities we are dealing with though, probably mean to add a few extra.  

The thing to understand is time, distance , and shielding is what reduces dose. That's why they built the new shelter 300m away and rolled it in place. It's designed to help disassemble the plant. I think the issue is going to be keeping up sufficient international funding. Frankly, Russia should pay for the whole fucking thing, but that ain't going to happen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.  There are areas in the restricted zone that are already at safe levels.

Now, if the question is about what's left of the reactor, about 100,000 years or more, depending on what's in there.
View Quote
Well, there's "safe" and then there's safe. You are right in that there are areas where it's safe to walk around and not be too concerned about exposure, but it will take a loooooooong time before it's safe to live there and eat anything grown or grazed there. Kinda like Bikini Atoll. Swim, dive, stay as long as you like and have fun. Just don't eat any fruits or stuff growing there. Plants mistake certain radioisotopes for things like Calcium and Iodine and other nutrients they need and concentrate them, and so does the bodies of anything that eats them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Claymores and a good sniping position......
View Quote
It was trying to belly crawl with all the bad guys walking by.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was at a concrete convention and there was a speaker who was in Russia to see the sarcophagus being built. He had some great stories and history.

The Russians claim only 29 or so people have died as a result of the melt down.

The sarcophagus was the largest thing moved by hydraulics. It also has large blast walls in case of a missile attack.
View Quote
The sarcophagus?

It is basically an inner and outer layer of stainless steal sheet metal with a massive dehumidifier between the two, all held up by fancy steal beams on hinges. There's a thingymabobber inside that can work on breaking down the old building and removing shit to be stored elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
See if you can't chip off a piece so that I can put it on my keychain.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh, are you talking inside the melted core or outside?

After the meltdown the rest of the reactors still ran, crewed by real people. People are in the exclusion zone now...
Right there - standing right in front of the elephant's foot.
You can now stand next to the elephants foot for a minute or so without lasting effect
Okay.  You first.
So far, I have not been allowed inside of the building. Maybe this year.

I would do it in the proper protective equipment.
See if you can't chip off a piece so that I can put it on my keychain.
Belt buckle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a pretty good youtube series on it.  Done by exploring with josh or something like that.  The picture posted earlier by the statue before the shield was moved into place.  The levels were much higher next to the statue about 35 mSv I think, when they moved the counter behind the statue they dropped down to 1 mSv.  I'm not sure how their counter was calibrated so I may be wrong on the measurement.  

A lot of josh's videos are silly, this series was pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#7]
8700 years
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Why, in this day and age, do otherwise intelligent people use such quaint and incorrect terms like geiger counter?  Is it the new "cool to sound stupid" thing?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Dinosaurs might be back by then
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Fukishima is a more pressing concern.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Fukishima is a more pressing concern.
View Quote
No, Chernobyl is worse. Fukushima is being way overhyped by the media and the anti nuke crowd.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting documentary here.

"Radioactive Wolves," about the animals that live in the area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can now stand next to the elephants foot for a minute or so without lasting effect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After the meltdown the rest of the reactors still ran, crewed by real people. People are in the exclusion zone now...
So it is safe within your lifetime.
All 10 minutes of it
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I just watched the special about how they covered it.  They said in its current for, 20,000 years
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#15]
It's on my bucket list of places to visit
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, that new containment building is one impressive feat of engineering.

Did a Pripyat / exclusion zone tour many years back, before the iPhone era and thus I have very few photos. Need to get back out there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
amazing how dangerous that blob is
View All Quotes
It's beautiful and downright frightening at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So far, I have not been allowed inside of the building. Maybe this year.

I would do it in the proper protective equipment.
View Quote
Sneak some spray paint in and tag the foot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sneak some spray paint in and tag the foot.
View Quote
Kilroy was he--------
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why, in this day and age, do otherwise intelligent people use such quaint and incorrect terms like geiger counter?  Is it the new "cool to sound stupid" thing?
View Quote
  I need a Geiger counter to measure the smugness of this post.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Kilroy was he--------
View Quote
Would be pretty awesome.  You know they aren't going to clean it off, so everytime they photograph it, there's a big cock sprayed on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would be pretty awesome.  You know they aren't going to clean it off, so everytime they photograph it, there's a big cock sprayed on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kilroy was he--------
BFL for the win!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I understand land can be purchased pretty cheap around Chernobyl. Don't be taken in, make sure you get the mineral rights with it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

The Corium (molten reactor core or LFCM) of the elephant's foot is going to remain radioactive for an anticipated 100,000 years, so within the reactor sarcophagus the timescales are significant.

Outside the sarcophagus some areas are already within safe limits, other are safe to approach with very limited exposure times.

The risk is that within that time the Corium is still flowing and generating heat.  If it were to reach groundwater the resulting explosion could cause another catastrophic release.

This of course doesn't take into account improvements in technology which would allow Corium to be dealt with.  However, it also means that for such a significant timescale this represents a very long term risk management problem.  Similar to what is faced by all radioactive wastes.

Issues around maintaining security and containment are the primary area of concern;

How many wars are going to take place in that 100,000 year period?

How will language change in that 100,000 year period?

How could those with nefarious intentions exploit the deadly nature of the Corium, and other radioactive wastes with a long half-life, to the detriment of others in that 100,000 year period?

How much erosion, how many earthquakes, how will geology, groundwater, and climate affect the containment with that 100,000 war period?

It's not just a case of burying it under millions of tonnes of concrete and hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting documentary here.

"Radioactive Wolves," about the animals that live in the area.
View Quote
BBC did a lame docu-drama where a team went in and took some measurements. The hype, delays, empty climaxes, and general theatrics were more painful to sit through than an entire season of Ice Road Truckers. Interesting take aways were:

Some old people still live and farm root crops in the area. Small fragments from the explosion are still waiting to be collected. The roads and other elevated places that are rinsed by rain water have low exposure levels. Low areas that collect all the water transported contaminants are still quite hot. Hogs eating in the low areas are highly exposed. All of the forest droppings that usually decay into soil are still crisp and intact. Decades' worth, piled up. The bugs and bacteria that break them down seem to be absent.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Okay.  You first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  You first.
According to what I have read...30 seconds exposure to the "elephant's foot" is lethal.  Death will take a 2 to 4 weeks.  300 seconds (5 min) you are dead in two days.

I think I'll pass on that one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
According to what I have read...30 seconds exposure to the "elephant's foot" is lethal.  Death will take a 2 to 4 weeks.  300 seconds (5 min) you are dead in two days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  You first.

Those numbers are changing all of the time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
depends what area. they are building a large building to cover it 300m away. the closer you get the more certain ray will pass through your body.
View Quote
The new building was rolled over the old stuff last year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  You first.

They don't change enough to make a bit of difference to me.  I wouldn't spend 1 second near that thing!  Nope, Nope, Nope...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They don't change enough to make a bit of difference to me.  I wouldn't spend 1 second near that thing!  Nope, Nope, Nope...
View Quote
Oh I would!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Safe levels, or "Combloc Safe" levels?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Safe, as in I can go sit on the Elephant's Foot and eat a baloney sandwich and chips for lunch and not have to worry about any future offspring being born with three heads or superpowers.
View Quote
For 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Millions of years.

Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,100 years.  For U-235 it's 710 million years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#37]
We are ALL constantly living in and around radiation. Anti-nukers think only power plants and x-ray machines create radiation. But radiation is all over and we're all constantly exposed to naturally created radiation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just watched the special about how they covered it.  They said in its current for, 20,000 years
View Quote
PBS Video Building Chernobyl's MegaTomb
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I wonder how long these guys lived?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Corium (molten reactor core or LFCM) of the elephant's foot is going to remain radioactive for an anticipated 100,000 years, so within the reactor sarcophagus the timescales are significant.

Outside the sarcophagus some areas are already within safe limits, other are safe to approach with very limited exposure times.

The risk is that within that time the Corium is still flowing and generating heat.  If it were to reach groundwater the resulting explosion could cause another catastrophic release.

This of course doesn't take into account improvements in technology which would allow Corium to be dealt with.  However, it also means that for such a significant timescale this represents a very long term risk management problem.  Similar to what is faced by all radioactive wastes.

Issues around maintaining security and containment are the primary area of concern;

How many wars are going to take place in that 100,000 year period?

How will language change in that 100,000 year period?

How could those with nefarious intentions exploit the deadly nature of the Corium, and other radioactive wastes with a long half-life, to the detriment of others in that 100,000 year period?

How much erosion, how many earthquakes, how will geology, groundwater, and climate affect the containment with that 100,000 war period?

It's not just a case of burying it under millions of tonnes of concrete and hoping for the best.
View Quote
there is nowhere near enough decay heating to make things molten.

Maybe raise the temp a few degrees above ambient, but the molten phase ended shortly after the meltdown.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I think that image was faked
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of us very intelligent people aren't schooled on the specifics of a fairly arcane speciality.
Others, who simply mock, do not educate. Otherwise they might not have a reason to feel superior.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#43]
WOW!  Just looking at that picture I can guarantee you those guys died a horrible death.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I am going to ask a dumb question, but what exactly are we looking at in this photo and how did it get there? Melt through the floor above?

Nvm. Wikipedia.

The largest known amounts of corium were formed during the Chernobyl disaster.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-15][15][/url] The molten mass of reactor core dripped under the reactor vessel and now is solidified in forms of stalactitesstalagmites, and lava flows; the best known formation is the "Elephant's Foot," located under the bottom of the reactor in a Steam Distribution Corridor.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-Lava1-16][16][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-17][17][/url]
The corium was formed in three phases.
  • The first phase lasted only several seconds, with temperatures locally exceeding 2600 °C, when a zirconium-uranium-oxide melt formed from no more than 30% of the core. Examination of a hot particle showed a formation of Zr-U-O and UOx-Zr phases; the 0.9 mm thick niobium zircaloy cladding formed successive layers of UOx, UOx+Zr, Zr-U-O, metallic Zr(O), and zirconium dioxide. These phases were found individually or together in the hot particles dispersed from the core.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-burakov-18][18][/url]
  • The second stage, lasting for six days, was characterized by interaction of the melt with silicate structural materials – sand, concrete, serpentinite. The molten mixture is enriched with silica and silicates.
  • The third stage followed, when lamination of the fuel occurred and the melt broke through into the floors below and solidified there.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-19][19][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-20][20][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-21][21][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-22][22][/url]
The Chernobyl corium is composed of the reactor uranium dioxide fuel, its zircaloy cladding, molten concrete, and decomposed and molten serpentinite packed around the reactor as its thermal insulation. Analysis has shown that the corium was heated to at most 2255 °C, and remained above 1660 °C for at least 4 days.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corium_(nuclear_reactor)#cite_note-23][23][/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It is.

Complete silence unless you are speaking.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142217/IMG-1846-207278.JPG
View Quote
The risk of cancer is 12.5 millisievert according to one website. Looks good to me

edit- My dad laughed the first time that biker chick was showing her geiger counter there. (He was in the Airforce with radio equipment)
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Millions of years.

Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,100 years.  For U-235 it's 710 million years.
View Quote
U-235 is not all that radioactive.

Which is why it has an extremely long half-life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I like how grainy that picture is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#48]
The area was pretty dang hot when I went through it in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  Lots of mutated animals and what not too...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
U-235 is not all that radioactive.

Which is why it has an extremely long half-life.
View Quote
And both u-235 and pu-239 are alpha emitters.

As long as you don't swollow or inhale either you could walk around with a pound of each in your pocket for a decade and be fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Our Stories: "Fallout Man" with Tony Brooks - 2017 SILVER TELLY AWARD WINNER

This is an acquaintance of mine. He is an expert in the field and even retirement is often invited to speak to groups around the world. He started his research and subsequent career over fears about radiation and eventually became a strong proponent of nuclear power. He has worked/consulted at Chernobyl and has some pretty interesting things to say about the place, mostly about how overblown the dangers have been. Same with Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Three Mile Island, Fukushima, etc.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top