Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

About $50,000 for a simple pool
View Quote
Less if you have plans and permits already.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, mine is 13 years old, so adjust for that.
I have the inground 26'x13' with a hot tub and screened in, also added extra deck space.
The cost was around $25,000, I doubt you could touch one for that now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck pools, I spend more time maintaining mine than using it.
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
They just started digging my neighbor's today. It's 8000 gallons and change with a screened enclosure. He told me it was around $35K.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It's cheaper to check into a hotel twice a week and use their pool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
They are cheaper and more Practical in FL
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My neighbor did ones about 4-5 years ago. After all the fence and stuff it was 40-50k. Mine came with the house. I like it. It is a lot of work when you open and close. I do all the work. I am getting tired of it but it is real nice. If I had to buy one I would not do it. Mine needs a resurface job that is 7-10 k. I need a cover for mine as well. a top of the line cover is 3 k.
You can get a real nice Johnny Weissmuller above ground pool that they sink in 1/2 way and it gives you the feel of a built in pool. It is also cheaper for property taxes because it is not permanent.

I am going in my pool in about 1/2 an hour. It is hot here in PA.
Good luck

ETA. In the NE you use it 3 months.  get a heater.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I am headed up to the area in August, could bring up one of my excavators and dig you a swimming hole if you cover the 3400 mile round trip
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Only the lives of 390 children a year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 18'x36' with a vinyl liner, 3 1/2' shallow end and 8 1/2' deep end. Fence and all it was about $35k. That was 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine went about $120K, but it's laid the fuck out.  Lots of granite paver deck, hot tub, fountain, remote controls, pebble-tec finish, deep end, rock retaining wall, rock features and lots of landscaping.  The sky is the limit depending on what you want..and what you can afford.  Mine is about 40k gallons. $10K in fencing alone...don't forget shit like that.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I think this one cost about 10 grand, maybe more.

I made it at my dad's house, 100% concrete.

It was a pain in the balls and I don't want to do it again. If I charged for labor though it probably would have been closer to 30k

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
yeah that's my impression. they're a pia like boats  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this.
yeah that's my impression. they're a pia like boats  

If I was to ever get one I would just get one of the drop in fiberglass ones and pour a simple stamped deck around it with the cheapest decent fence I could get.

Then the dogs can get in, no liner to screw with, and when you get sick of it just rip out the concrete and fill in the hole.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
$250 on sale at Target.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine went about $120K, but it's laid the fuck out.  Lots of granite paver deck, hot tub, fountain, remote controls, pebble-tec finish, deep end, rock retaining wall, rock features and lots of landscaping.  The sky is the limit depending on what you want..and what you can afford.  Mine is about 40k gallons. $10K in fencing alone...don't forget shit like that.
View Quote

Nice! Pics?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
That's not how any of this works,,,,,,,,,,,the question you need to ask  is how much damn taxes are you going to be bashed with....
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]

I would play on that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Ours was just north of 120K but its money well spent and no chance of FSA jumping the fence.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot.  

Inlaws have one that goes to 9' i believe.  Kids love it!  I could give a shit less...
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ours was just north of 120K but its money well spent and no chance of FSA jumping the fence.
View Quote

$50K pool, $50K 12' fence, $20K razor wire?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The rock excavation alone on a deep end pool here in Texas can run in the 30's, thats thousands.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends on size of pool, and how big of coping/pool deck area, pumps, lights, automation,etc.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's not how any of this works,,,,,,,,,,,the question you need to ask  is how much damn taxes are you going to be bashed with....
View Quote

And insurance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Look into an above ground pool, build a nice deck around it, make it look like an in-ground.

A hell of a lot cheaper, is technically a temporary fixture, no tax hit, oops you are in NY, everything is taxed there.

No fence necessary, just put a gate on the steps.

And easier to get rid of, when you are done with it.

go here, poolsolutions.com  the arfcom of pools.

I did a 18x36 Doughboy, 6ft deep end for about $3k, Deck was more, $4k. but i did it all myself, starting with a chainsaw.

Hired an excavator to stump it, tho.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly plus the sharks with freakin lazer beams!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Father in law does pools,. 20x10x5 10k
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And insurance.

Fence and permit for fence.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cheaper to buy a foreclosed condo with a nice pool facility. Zero upkeep.
View Quote

Funny post is funny because it's true.

Seriously, it's a money pit. It's better to find a friend and swim in their money pit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Lots of options here. Starting price around here for a liner in ground is in the 25 to 30K range. They make fiberglass in grounds also. A full concrete inground will be about twice as much as a liner on the low end and the sky is the limit on the high end. They also make above ground pools with a deep end that might be a better choice if taxes are an issue. A good quality above ground with a deep end is going to set you back some good coin with all the trimmings but may be a better choice depending on the lay of you property.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
don't forget to include the increased property tax assessment that comes with it
and if you don't already have one, the completely enclosing fence so that kids don't trespass and drown
View Quote

What if those krazy kids jump your fence, drink booze, smoke weed, DJ, and start fights?

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#35]

You know what they say.

If you have to ask..... you mustn't be a very good attorney.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Where the fuck are you Kardashians looking at pools? Are they made of gold?

We had one priced for around 25k inthe Central Valley in CA. Not sure what one in NY would cost you? Are swimming pools even legal in NY? Is there a depth limit or does your status as a police officer allow you to build one deeper than a normal serf...I mean citizen?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Look into an above ground pool, build a nice deck around it, make it look like an in-ground.

A hell of a lot cheaper, is technically a temporary fixture, no tax hit, oops you are in NY, everything is taxed there.
No fence necessary, just put a gate on the steps.

And easier to get rid of, when you are done with it.

View Quote

That's what my brother in law ended up doing, his kids use it all the time, but he figured when the kids grow up he wants the lawn space back, so he can just drain it and tear it down. Plus it was free, all he needed to get was a new liner.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Family member has one in Florida and I am thinking he has like $35-40k in his, and yes they barely even use it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
yeah a pool in upstate New York is useful for about three months. My wife kinda wants one  
View Quote

Get one of these and call it good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Around here $30K to $50K
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I mean a real one, not like a mud hole dug with a rented backhoe
View Quote

If you have children, I strongly recommend against getting one.  Those things kill kids faster than you can say "Boo!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Depends upon your geographic location and your lot access.

At least $20K. Probably twice that unless you do some of it yourself.

But you can fill it with cash cheaper than you can keep it full of clean water.  (Rain water is a contaminant. If you have trees anywhere nearby, you need to cut them all down.  But then you need shade near the pool for folks who hate the sun.)

If you do plastic liners, they need to be replaced every few years.

And your kids will NOT swim because all they want to do is play video games and talk on the phone in the air conditioned house.

And your wife won't swim because either "it's too hot out there", "I don't want to get my hair wet", or "the water is too cold".

And eventually you will spend more than it cost originally to have it filled in and the concrete and slides and stuff removed.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#44]
We priced one about 5-years ago. Small 24x16 was $22000
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Its the shipping that gets ya.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I was pricing them out a few months ago, a good in-ground pool like this is probably $30k. Add a screen and its +$20k'ish. You really have to shop around, there are so many options and contractors out there.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I mean a real one, not like a mud hole dug with a rented backhoe
View Quote

I take great offense to your chracterization of muddy holes in the ground as mud holes.  I have dug many and each one has brought me great joy.  Try it, might like it!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#48]
The upkeep on the pool always seemed like it would be worse to me. All that cleaning and chlorination and shit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Wife was on my ass to get ours open and ready by the first of May...This May was the wettest month in the history of the state ..No sun, all rain, floods and tornadoes ..She was still pissed she wasn't out there sunnin her buns..I taught her how to clean and maintain so she can make her own deadlines.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Came here to post this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this.

What all do you guys do for maintenance?  My parents neighbors have an in- ground, and he spends maybe an hour on the weekend. During the week it's just monitor the water and add chemicals. Yeah, you have some work when opening and closing it for the year, but that's it.

We've got an above ground pool, and I probably spend less than an hour a week on maintaining it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top