Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2024 10:31:18 PM EDT
I've seen videos where pastors of mega churches justify owning a private jet. They say it makes them more productive, trips are quicker / easier, they can hit more locations in less hours, they don't have to sit in a tube with demons, etc.

How much of an important busy person do you have to be when owning your own jet makes real sense?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Terribly useful and a huge tax write off, makes good business sense in a lot of occasions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If had that kind of "fuck you money", I would own a private jet merely so I can say "fuck you - look at my private jet" and wouldn't care about the costs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've only known a couple people that fly private.  One has "fuck you money" let's go horse shopping.  The other is a business that have locations all over the west.  They can hit two or three in a day with their staff instead of dealing with the time waste of commercial travel.

And somebody like Taylor Swift, it's not like getting on a Southwest flight is really a viable option.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Charter or own? Private flights might be pretty practical depending on the circumstances. Buying a $20-80million Gulfstream strikes me as probably being more expensive than necessary for most people.
View Quote
Own.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a cost analysis.  At a certain point high high earning individuals hourly value crosses the point to where going to the airport going through security doing all the bull crap it's cheaper to fly private whether you're chartering or buying a private airplane.   Very few people cross that threshold.  But some people have screw you money and they would rather fly private so it all really depends on the individual it's not one size fits all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Charter or own? Private flights might be pretty practical depending on the circumstances. Buying a $20-80million Gulfstream strikes me as probably being more expensive than necessary for most people.
View Quote

Can be very practical.
Throw 6-8 dudes in a mid-size jet to an out of the way airport, say Telluride, and It may be more efficient with similar costs when you figure air + ground transfers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you fly enough and have the $$, not having to deal with airport security and all the BS of terminals would be nice.

That said, I haven't been on a plane since about '92

But if you own a plane, you charter it out for 99% of the time to make the money back.
View Quote
Didnt know this part.

I thought the appeal of owning was having a jet ready to go in a couple hours with a phonecall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
We just got rid of our company jet.

It was awesome if you needed to get somewhere that day and back or if you wanted to hit a number of sites in a short period of time. But the costs associated with owning it don’t work out anymore.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be like Tony Stark

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve never flown on a private jet, but I have flown on VIP aircraft with senior military. Walk out to the airplane, sit down and you start to taxi. Priority takeoff and you’re on your way.

No X-ray scanning,TSA, etc. it was so efficient it was crazy
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m sure Jesus would fly private if he was around today. Totally. All about that efficiency.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I flew once as a guest on a King Air. It was handy and quick and convient in away commercial airlines could not match.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd be like Tony Stark

https://i.imgur.com/LvXZmpE.gif
View Quote

Ah the brief period when that fictional universe wasn't dominated by shrill feminist fanfiction writers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Not as baller as owning a transcontinental railroad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Didnt know this part.

I thought the appeal of owning was having a jet ready to go in a couple hours with a phonecall.
View Quote
Oh that's DEFINITELY the appeal, but not everyone can swing it or even needs it.

One of the most successful folks I know splits his jet 3 ways.  He's first gen wealthy and very conservative, so a couple hundred hours per year split between his golfing/banking buddies works out well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not as baller as owning a transcontinental railroad.
View Quote
That is no shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a business in a rundown stripmall in CA  that's mocked up to look like the inside of a private jet for instathots to do photoshoots that's booked six months out at hundreds an hour.

OTOH Taylor Swift makes so much money that's dependent on travel it would be silly for her not to own a jet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
If I had the money I'd travel via private passenger tran so that everyone could see me shine.

AKA "private varnish "
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
In the mid 90's I worked for Annheiser-Busch. They had 2 or 3 jets. August Busch was a pilot himself and would often take off and land. Several times when at a meeting location the jets were flying in and out picking up and dropping off execs for meetings. I was involved with the meeting setups and such. We were in Palm Springs, Beaver Creek, CO. And other high end resort areas around the country. Best job I ever had. Stayed in the best places and everything was paid for, room, meals, bar tab,etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a business in a rundown stripmall in CA  that's mocked up to look like the inside of a private jet for instathots to do photoshoots that's booked six months out at hundreds an hour.

OTOH Taylor Swift makes so much money that's dependent on travel it would be silly for her not to own a jet.
View Quote

I should buy a scrap private jet, Gove the interior a refresh and rent it for photo shoots...
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Back in the day. We were wheels up every Friday.

Hit two to three of our major markets and back in Bham at the FBO.

Start in Bham, hit Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and back to BHM.

Repeat GA, repeat FL. You go from arriving to being in ground transportation 10mm.

Upon return, pilots have pre-flighted, from getting out of ground transport to being in the air again 10mm to 15mm.

If you have never flown in a private jet aircraft, you just don't know. It's at a whole different level.

If I was rich, I'd have a jet.

View Quote
Wow. What kind of business was this and why did you need to be physically in these locations?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Hubby’s boss has several aircraft.  The biggie is the Gulfstream. It’s the family car. Seriously. Two kids, four dogs, mom and dad, the nanny and the chef… and extraneous hanger’s on periodically.

The guys have a hell of a time keeping it clean.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not like that 20 to 80m just evaporates. That plane will likely be in service long after the owner no linger has use for it. Many also charter them out when not using them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve never flown on a private jet, but I have flown on VIP aircraft with senior military. Walk out to the airplane, sit down and you start to taxi. Priority takeoff and you’re on your way.

No X-ray scanning,TSA, etc. it was so efficient it was crazy
View Quote

I rode in a black C-130 and they let me take explosives and guns on board.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was growing up, my Dad's law firm had a twin-prop that could seat 7-8 people. It was pretty cost effective for him at the time, and turned 4-6 hour driving trips into 1-2 hour flights.

Wasn't bad when he'd tie a family trip into some depositions either, lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How much of an important busy person do you have to be when owning your own jet makes real sense?
View Quote

It depends on how much your health is of value to you. If you want to die like a dog because a master baiter in the next seat never stops coofing, then whatves, save the money.

For most well-off people, flying a turboprop is practical enough though. A jet burns more fuel and is not necessarily faster. I think a swept wing jet area starts somewhere in 100 million net worth, or at an undersecretary. Of course any government bureaucrat will try her hardest to get in early, so this is just speaking realistically.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#33]
If you buy slightly used is there a lot of depreciation if you own it for ten years?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Day to day - Depends on what you do
Zombie Apocalypse........
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Getting picked up to fly into ANY of the SEC home stadium airports for a football game is amazing.

Those airports would be totally FULL with aircraft. As in looking like a mall parking lot.

Then when the game is over, fly out, go to some other city for dinner and then fly back home.

The vast majority of people will NEVER know that level.

View Quote
I've been witness, but never party.  It is a different level when you get to say 'we're a little late, but the jet waits on me.'
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#37]
For perspective, when I travel it's usually from Phoenix to the SF Bay area, and a fast single or light twin prop plane
(not even turboprop) beats a commercial jet in terms of time spent. For short/medium haul flights the time spent traveling
to the airport, in security and waiting to board/boarding is a huge percentage of the total time (often 50% or more.)

That time gets cut way down when you fly private/chartered, especially when you can fly out of little feeder airports.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Didnt know this part.

View Quote

I know several people that own jets.
For each of them, it's 100% about convenience.
Not a one of them has it for status.
They all have so much money they don't need to show off a jet for that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I have flown on a friend of a friend's twice. No TSA. No lines to board. Landed at smaller executive airports and taxied to the waiting limo. No waiting for luggage, no fat farts squeezing you enroute.  We actually got work done during the flight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Big companies often require it for the CEO’s safety but owning a jet looks bad politically so they mostly charter.

At the CEO level the time and privacy benefits make it a good financial decision vs. flying commercial business/first.

Wife has been on a few of those flights, completely different experience to airline flights. I’ve only done it once.

If I could afford it I would never fly commercial again.
View Quote

Many major companies charter the plane from themselves via another smaller company that they own that owns the plane.

My company does.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]
How about, " Honey, what's for lunch in Paris?"

How about following the seasonal fishing bite, Northern Hemisphere and then Southern Hemisphere?

How bout dat?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#42]
If it fucks flies or floats rent it….

Not an expert
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
At a certain level of wealth you sit around and go ... what could I buy ... what could I buy .... and knowing you could buy anything.

You get several homes, boats ... and at some level airplanes and yachts big enough to land a helicopter on.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was at Pfizer they had a private jet that carted the grunts around among facilities in Michigan, NY, and Conn.

Overall less expensive and less time wasted than taking commercial flights.

GM responded to congress critter bitching about their private jet by sending their CEO in a car convey to D.C. to testify about their fiscal crisis.
It's pretty much a two day round trip by car from Detroit to D.C.  I hate GM, but does it make any sense to have your CEO in a car for two days when a private jet would have taken care of testifying in an afternoon?

Besides the blatant hypocrisy of congress bitching about about a private citizen spending private money on travel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Terribly useful and a huge tax write off, makes good business sense in a lot of occasions.
View Quote

And not having to deal with the bullshit and people on commercial flights……priceless!
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I charter several times a month and travel commercial several times a month. Just depends on location or timing how I fly.

Commercial I use a king air or jet, depending timeframes  and where I’m going

As much as I love flying charter out of an FBO , sometimes charter is just not worth the money to me.

Sometimes I need to fly with 4-6 hr notice, so sometimes Charter is my only option.

I am NOT the typical rich person on this site, I can not afford to own my own jet
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I own two posted here before.  I’ve never sat in one of them.  They are all flying charter, if I want to use it we just trade ours with other operators or owners.  If it’s regional I fly myself, if it’s international I still fly commercial.  If you don’t fly a minimum of 150 hours a year to 200 hours a year it’s only beneficial as a tax strategy to own without leasing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Retail stores.

Want to go see what someone is doing in CO? Or CA or NY? Beechjet 400.
View Quote
Surprise "inspections?"
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top