Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were making 7+ figures and traveled a lot, damn right my time would be worth it.  And the deal I would be en route to make cannot be at risk of getting bumped or of some other unwashed masses horse shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terribly useful and a huge tax write off, makes good business sense in a lot of occasions.
View Quote

Bingo!

If you could see how stressfree it is to travel by jet privately, you'd never want to fly commercial again.

Basically walk in, check in (no lines), grab free refreshments, and then quickly be whisked to your private transport. Got guns? No problem because no one gives a shit.

You don't have to deal with any of the airline BS or waiting in line for hours, and no TSA strip search BS, or even a scan.

It's a very pleasant way to travel quickly without being bogged down on each end with one to three hours of BS.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Time is valuable.

Not having to deal with tsa, or the general public is 100% worth it. Get on plane, go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Fractional ownership is a lot cheaper then I thought it would be
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I will tell you buying a SAAB 340B a few years back may have been a suboptimal investment. I’ll guess at least we got it cheap
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I never made enough money to own a jet BUT flying even in a small piston single ( Bonanza) like we did was a true pleasure and time saver. I could hop to Arkansas and be back in time to play golf in Dallas on an average business day. Leave at 5pm on Friday headed to the ski area and home Sunday night. Run to the ranch to fill feeders and be back in time for work the next day. I truly don't care about the status aspect. My deal was to,,,drive to hangar, pull plane out, park truck in hangar and then fire up the plane and be gone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
From 25 years experience with aviation. Private jets offer two things.

-Options, there’s a shit ton more small airports that a LearJet can get into. Than a 737. And it’s on your time.

-Safety/access, our passengers were getting feral in 2016. And have only gotten worse. At this point if you put someone like Taylor Swift or Kim Kardashian in the back of any airliner. Depending on the route you’re scheduling them for a raping.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I was rich, I'd have a jet.

View Quote

Light jets start at 1mill new now. Just saying...

Share it with 4 buddies then compare to buying a loaded new truck...
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Given the cost of owning and operating one it'll always be a status symbol and proof of the owner being unwilling to rub elbows with the common folk by flying commercial
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Time is valuable.

Not having to deal with tsa, or the general public is 100% worth it. Get on plane, go anywhere.
View Quote
Successful people very good at making cost-benefit decisions and don't generally spend money that doesn't make good economic sense. Only been on a private jet once- in the 80's when I was a medic for a medical transport from Clearwater to Ann Arbor. Left just before breakfast. Even with ground transport to/from hospital in Ann Arbor I was back in Clearwater by lunch. And enjoyed some nice scotch on the return trip. Yeah, the efficiency is awesome! Flight was on a jet similar to this one:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've seen videos where pastors of mega churches justify owning a private jet. They say it makes them more productive, trips are quicker / easier, they can hit more locations in less hours, they don't have to sit in a tube with demons, etc.

How much of an important busy person do you have to be when owning your own jet makes real sense?
View Quote

Alright,
To answer this, you have to ask yourself: What is the most valuable commodity?:   It’s not gold, or BC, or stocks……For each of us, it’s “Time”.  

We all have a different Value, but for the rich, that time might be worth $10,000 per hour or more.

Corporate Jets are truly one of those things where large amounts of Money, can make a huge difference in your life in terms of Time, and productivity.  

And Yes, they save time.  Domestically, I can move you from city to city in 1/3 the amount of time it would take in the airline system.  

To answer your original question, it ain’t got a damned thing to do with “Status”.     When you park your G4 of the Ramp, it’ll be next to the guy with the G5.   You’ll need to be in a BBJ, to achieve anything approaching “Status”.  Lolz.    It’s a different world.      One I wish everyone could experience at least once.

It has everything to do with Utility.   It’s a magical time machine, which turns travel from a hassle, into a pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
There's nothing like it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, the Initial buy in price is only a small part of the cost.

Second of all, NO.  You aren’t going to be buying light jets new, for 1 mil.
But, Go ahead and post up what you’re thinking of, it might be fun.

Fwiw,
We have a surprising amount of actual SME’s on this subject.   Lots of chief pilot/operators, and even a couple owners.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fwiw,
We have a surprising amount of actual SME’s on this subject.   Lots of chief pilot/operators, and even a couple owners.
View Quote

How about...
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fwiw,

How about...
https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/microsoftteams-image-72-scaled.jpg.webp

Looks like a good value.  At $3.2 million, it’s less than I paid for a PC12 or Kingair, 20 years ago.  

Not very practical for actual corporate or family use.  It’s a Niche product.    A used Citation or turboprop, would have far more utility.

Interestingly, they are quoting the hourly operating price at $3000 per hour, which is more than a small turboprop, and about the same as a normal small 2 engine corporate jet.      

Apparently, it can fit One Midcap sized woman, and I guess, One is all you really need.  
https://www.businessinsider.com/see-inside-2-million-cirrus-vision-sf50-jet-3k-verijet-2022-5?op=1

5 minutes research on it, gives you good insight into the world of aviation.  The title says “2 million” the actual real price is “3 million”.  
If that one million dollar difference seems like a lot, you can stop reading right there.

I don’t like the positioning of that fj-33 in the empennage.    

I would have happily flown it, when I was absolutely desperate, but luckily, I’ll never be that desperate again.

For anyone wealthy reading this, spend a little more and get proper light twin jet or a Pilatus.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can be very practical.
Throw 6-8 dudes in a mid-size jet to an out of the way airport, say Telluride, and It may be more efficient with similar costs when you figure air + ground transfers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Charter or own? Private flights might be pretty practical depending on the circumstances. Buying a $20-80million Gulfstream strikes me as probably being more expensive than necessary for most people.

Can be very practical.
Throw 6-8 dudes in a mid-size jet to an out of the way airport, say Telluride, and It may be more efficient with similar costs when you figure air + ground transfers.

It can be. Especially fractional ownership - depending on structure and use, can be financially justified.  In many cases there's logistical, necessity arguments. Especially when moving a number of senior management/ownership. Small to medium sized firms can own as little as 1/16th (50 hours per year).  In the end it's a business decision, though in many cases that use is blurred or dual use.

Personal travel, purely convenience that can be rationalized. Especially if flying out of Dekalb instead of ATL or avoiding a drive to a primary airport.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd be like Tony Stark

https://i.imgur.com/LvXZmpE.gif
View Quote

This man gets it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I grew up Catholic in the 1960s & 1970s.  Private Catholic grade school.

Our priest drive a new Lincoln Towne car & had an airplane.  He reminded us his only vow was that of obedience to his bishop, unlike nuns, who take a vow of poverty.

His family was apparently loaded & when they visited, it was hard to tell if it was a Mafia funeral or his family.

Private jets are at least an order of magnitude more expensive, so if he was still alive, he’d probably be flying one of those.  He supposedly flew to Vegas to “visit family…”

God wills it!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

One million NEW ???
More like 4 or 5.

But you can pick up a flyable Cessna Citation for around 500,000, and that would be the cheapest part of ownership.
Forget that they burn 160+ gallons of fuel per HOUR, they must pass annual inspections and hourly inspections depending what it's used for and the maintenance costs on them are astronomical.

Here is an example..

The OUTRAGEOUS Costs Of Owning a Private Jet... (Can We Still Afford It?)

And another..

The INSANE Cost To Own A Honda Private Jet
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
surprised no one has said oh but you’ll die on one of those like the naples crash last week, or kobe bryant bird, etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Or just buy one of Elvis's old jets and turn it into a motorhome to tour the country.

Rebuilding Elvis Presley Abandoned Private Jet Pt4
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I was at Pfizer they had a private jet that carted the grunts around among facilities in Michigan, NY, and Conn.

Overall less expensive and less time wasted than taking commercial flights.

GM responded to congress critter bitching about their private jet by sending their CEO in a car convey to D.C. to testify about their fiscal crisis.
It's pretty much a two day round trip by car from Detroit to D.C.  I hate GM, but does it make any sense to have your CEO in a car for two days when a private jet would have taken care of testifying in an afternoon?

Besides the blatant hypocrisy of congress bitching about about a private citizen spending private money on travel.
View Quote

Today, the CEO would probably be carjacked in D.C.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I doubt the value of  anyone on AR15.com is so valuable as to justify ownership of a private jet - though there are people in this world where  that is surely the case
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
surprised no one has said oh but you'll die on one of those like the naples crash last week, or kobe bryant bird, etc.
View Quote

Occasionally reflect on Payne Stewart, but the odds are extremely low. As are Alakan 1282 Air or Aloha 243.

But I fly worse airlines and ride motos in dumb places.

Still, better than not odds, I die in a bed of some cardiovascular issue. I'm hoping not mine and triggered by extreme exertion.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I have biz jets over my house all day.

Nashville is full of em.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Back in the day. We were wheels up every Friday.

Hit two to three of our major markets and back in Bham at the FBO.

Start in Bham, hit Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and back to BHM.

Repeat GA, repeat FL. You go from arriving to being in ground transportation 10mm.

Upon return, pilots have pre-flighted, from getting out of ground transport to being in the air again 10mm to 15mm.

If you have never flown in a private jet aircraft, you just don't know. It's at a whole different level.

View Quote

Banking or healthcare?

@bama-shooter
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Recently priced out a mid-sized Gulfstream to go round trip from Texas to the Pacific Northwest for a business meeting.

$50,000

The time on the ground waiting on me was "on duty" and therefore meant that by the end of the day, the pilots had timed out and a second crew was necessary. Therefore part of the price was flying down a second crew the day before to fly the plane back.

I ended up saving $49,400 and my only regret was that I didnt buy one of those neck pillows at the terminal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

maintenance is the killer

and you have to have 4 buddies along with yourself who are qualified to fly it

and

every time YOU want to go somewhere, one of your four buddies has it somewhere and you can't

nope

shared ownership actually really sucks
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Doesn't make sense for pastors IMO.  Makes perfect sense for people like Taylor Swift and James O'Keefe regardless of what I think of them..

Trust me, you don't want to be in a plane with a famous celebrity anyway.  On/off boarding would be miserable, not to mention sitting next to one for a long flight.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Terribly useful and a huge tax write off, makes good business sense in a lot of occasions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#34]
So many opinions, but no to the question of how much  in dollars per flight, hour. Come on poors.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I never made enough money to own a jet BUT flying even in a small piston single ( Bonanza) like we did was a true pleasure and time saver. I could hop to Arkansas and be back in time to play golf in Dallas on an average business day. Leave at 5pm on Friday headed to the ski area and home Sunday night. Run to the ranch to fill feeders and be back in time for work the next day. I truly don't care about the status aspect. My deal was to,,,drive to hangar, pull plane out, park truck in hangar and then fire up the plane and be gone.
View Quote

pretty much this right here.

flying commercial along the gulf coast is a huge time waster....I wish I had my own small plane.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can be very practical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Charter or own? Private flights might be pretty practical depending on the circumstances. Buying a $20-80million Gulfstream strikes me as probably being more expensive than necessary for most people.

Can be very practical.

There are a lot of out of the way airports.  Not everyone, nor every business, is within an hour of an airline hub, and all of those transfers, rentals, layover etc...add up.

Nothing in aviation is inexpensive though.  Trip costs for private charter are what, 10-20X what the equivalent airline ticket would be?

As for what happens when your airplane is busy flying someone else around the world, that's what friends and interlocking networks of executive assistants and large corporate affiliation groups, are for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I had one work trip where most people flew commercial, but a handful of us got to fly on the corporate jet.

We left a couple hours later, had to make an extra stop so a couple guys could get work permits, and still arrived hours before the rest. We had tasks to complete before anyone else arrived, so as soon as the rest of them showed up, they could get to work.

Had we all flown commercial, the work would not have started until the next day. And commercial flights were pretty full, so some of us might have been forced to have a layover and not even arrive until the next day, which might have cost another half a day at least.

It was kind of a unique circumstance, and I'm not sure it really saved any money, but it definitely opened my eyes to how much more efficient corporate air travel is, relative to commercial.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#38]
A couple I know flew "private" one time.  They chartered a flight from PHX to SEA.  Houses in both cities. They have 2 large dogs, it was the dead of summer and hot as hell.  Their choice was get in the car with 2 dogs and a toddler, or (pre covid) pay $13k for a private jet.  Is that expensive? Yeah by most peoples' standards.  But $13k/3 people is ~$4,300 a person.  First class international can make that look like a pittance. Yeah, I get it's only a couple hour flight, but under the circumstances it wasn't a life-changing amount of money.  That's like 3 months of their kids private school tuition. It's all relative.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I doubt the value of  anyone on AR15.com is so valuable as to justify ownership of a private jet - though there are people in this world where  that is surely the case
View Quote

I bet we have a dozen or so with fast recip planes, a few with turbines (pilatus, king air, tbm, etc), and at least 1-2 with jets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never flown private but have been to many FBO's. That alone would convince me to fly private if I won the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI.

They are rarely status symbols.  The costs are way too astronomical for that.  

Sometimes you’ll see some instagram influencer get busted for chattering a jet or even taking pics while inside it on the ground even though they aren’t going anywhere.  That’s pretty humorous.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top